The Soulstrut MP3 trading club (FS/Serato Related)

13»

Comments

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    The kind of folks I grew up looking up at as collectors were far closer to the "I bleach my labels so trainspotters can't jack my shit" school of thought vs. the "let's share everything" mentality of today's digital crowd.it's the old "paying dues" mentality which is, of course, rather elitist but no one said collecting was that democratic.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    no pay = good.

bittorrent = "free" hosting, meaning individuals front the bandwidth. (someone still has to host the torrent tracker)

Instead of sharing everything with everyone, users should maintain an upload/download ratio - upload one raer, download four (or however many). this way, there is incentive to contribute, and a reward for doing so. there could be a shared 'requests' database, a minimum bitrate requirement, guidelines on submitting files, etc.

This is the oink model, and it works, but bittorrent ain't ideal for a smallish group like this.

so...soulseek and other p2p, direct-connect-style apps might be better.
    something like hotline/carracho would work for a small group - runs of a personal computer, just like an ftp - and easily sets up password/account access. these aren't so popular right now, but they work. other than that, regular old SFTP would be peachy.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    i already did that kind of ventures...so please believe me when i say that we need MANY rules to make this shit last.
    First we need to make people pay...That's a basic statement. It keeps people busy, motivated, and it gives us a reason to not to be too "cocky" to each other. 5$ is a good deal. Up to 10 it's still a good deal.
    Second, people have to be "trial-ed". Maening once you're in, you gotta prove and earn your spot. Meaning if you don't rip but just leech, bye-bye. A 2 months trial will do.
    Third, we need to set up a "comitee" to examinate applications. Too many people and this shit will collapse. It have to stay all private. Fuck all the bullshit about free music or whatsoever.

my toughts...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    wait......

so.....

mp3s are "cool" now to talk about trade , whatever on SS? This was unheard of a year ago. You would get a new a**hole ripped for even bringing up an mp3 much less ask for one.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    i feel the same as you on this one...but since sixtoo started the idea, i thought that doing it with "concerned" people would be a nice idea.

I've been doing back(ups since two years now. All my shit is WAV/24/44.1 but encoding it in MP3 is nothing.

But let it be known that if too many people are on the boat, i won't participate.

It's valuable only if we do it "the elite way".

It's an elite trick. Not a public move. MP3 will be password protected. And watch me. People will have to prove they don't leak shit thru Seek or IRC. Im everywhere, so i know who would do what basically. I don't worry for that.

But shit gotta be special...it's definitely not a DC-like hub for public purpose///If so, i'm out.

• silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts
    Oliv*r,
    I can completely understand where you are coming from with the paying dues sentiment.

I don't really wanna up some of my best/rarest stuff for some cats that don't appreciate it, which is why I would only contribute to something if other people are willing to get involved, with heat. I had gone under the basic assumption that almost everyone on this forum has an extensive knowlege of records, or at least a strong love and respect for the music discussed here, and that most of the music in peoples heavy crates are things that most deep cats would know, but don't own personally, and would greatly appreciate as music fans / listeners before being hoarders and collectors. For me personally, in reality, if its not on wax, it doesn't mean anything to me. MP3 rares are the same as a CD compilation, just some shit that you have and appreciate for what it is, music.

There is no tangible value in an MP3 for me, which is why I personally don't mind putting some like minded cats up on some stuff, if they also have stuff to put me up on. Also, I was hoping that if something like this were to pop of as a "contributors club", that perhaps it could somehow stay free. Bandwidth is indeed a bitch.

Maybe another way to go about it is this, more people contributing to the mixes page on the front of Soulstrut, so that everyone can not feel like they are just giving away free knowlege without some type nod, and perhaps expanding the definitions. For example : I would love to hear 5 Einstien "edits" of other tracks, extending breaks, and whatnot, as an exclusive download, or some unreleasable Asprin shit that is a one-track jack move ressembled for playout. Basically it just comes down to wanting to hear more cool stuff (such as the German mix that was just upped.

Anyways, Im still talking out of my ass here.
    Open to ideas.
    silvertoner.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    i was very excited about this idea because i want to hear new music. thats it. I dont really know anyone here except some of the old hindsight cats (paren, yen whaddup)--- so i didn't really think of it on what everyone could personally contribute. with hindsight (another digger type list) we setup an ftp and everyone contributed and it was fantastic. everyone on soulstrut has some knowledge... nobody here is looking to jack mp3s for their records... i think if someone setup an ftp it would be a really beautiful thing. im talking shit as well... but i encoded my gong, cortex, and bridget st. john 45's last night in hopes that this will pop off. and ill continue to record shit until someone sets it up. i wish i had access to an ftp.. id do it myself and invite yall to join in.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    if you're gonna setup some sort free music-share-thing, you're gonna attract loads and loads of lurker-types, just looking for a quick fix. So you need some kind of bouncer at the door.
    That can either be a monthly fee, or a system that O-dub described, where you can only share if you add someone more then just music like information/history.
    You need peoples to be personally connected with this sharingthing, otherwise it will end up a big mess.

my 2ct.