/font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Almond,Oat and Hemp milk are my shit
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121YES! the Whole Foods that I used to work at had soft serve oatscream, which was of course, mighty tasty.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Almond,Oat and Hemp milk are my shit
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121YES! the Whole Foods that I used to work at had soft serve oatscream, which was of course, mighty tasty.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Oatscream just sounds delicious, for some weird reaon. Too bad I don't have a whole foods anywhere near me.. I go through rice milk like crazy.. I tried hemp milk once and it gave me a terribe stomach ache for some reason (which happened later on when I tried it again to confirm)b,121b,121Though there are many sides to the debate, there seem to be some potential health risks with soy which is why I don't mess with the soy 'ice cream' or soy milk.. I have tried hemp but it wasnt too good. I also tried Rice Dream's dessert which is like an ice cream bar (cept made out of rice) which they sell at Loblaws. Though a little expensive it was really good and highly recommend to the vegans here

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121Yeah, this is how warped PETA is. I think I would not eat Ben & Jerry's, if they used human milk (ugh) but just took some time and figured out hot to make soy milk REALLY taste like ice cream. That'd sell a lot better, to me at least.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121btw, Trader Joe's sells a brand of cherry/chocolate "soy cream" that my gf and I both think tastes as good as ice cream (and we eat dairy).1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121I haven't had "soy cream," so I don't really know, but wouldn't there potentially be consistency issues with soy milk in ice cream as well as taste issues? 1Soy milk probably doesn't deliver the same creaminess as cow milk does. Otherwise, I would imagine that a Vermont ex-hippie outfit like B&J would have gone all-soy years ago.
    b,121
    b,121I stay drinking soy milk at home, so I'm all for soy cream innovations. 1I'll peep that shit out at Trader Joe's next time I'm there.1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121most soy ice creams have some taste and/or texture issues IMO (and i've tried em all, I was vegan for many years).1Soy Delicious is probably the best-tasting brand, but myself and everyone I've talked to has commented on how their product leaves stomachs feeling wrecked for 24 hours afterwards... I don't know what's doing it, but it's not worth it.b,121b,121this Trader Joe's cherry/chocolate flavor, to me and others I know who've tried it, has spot-on taste and texture, and no catastrophic GI aftermath. I think it's called Trader Joe's Soy Creamy. b,121b,121I dunno how much we should credit B+J for being forward-thinking at this point. they have a few products labeled organic and/or fair-trade, but were behind the curve for those trends it seems to me. they also boldly label certain ice creams as not having growth hormones in the milk, but then in small print say they can't guarantee that there isn't growth hormones in the cream and other dairy ingredients. it all seems pretty cynical to me.

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    I think it's safe to say B&J, at this point and probably for a while now, are just the face of a giant corporation. Like the dude's car I saw the other day with a greatful dead sticker and a ron paul sticker right next to one another. They're just hippies with money = self indulgent douchebags. I doubt those dudes even set foot in their factories or REALLY give a shit about what goes into their scream. Their too busy trying to get Dave Matthews Band and Phish and all the shitty "hippie" groups of today agree to contribute to their names to a flavor.b,121b,121Don't get me wrong, I still eat it but I'm not holding those dudes up for anything other than being another decent ice cream company, nothing more.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I think it's safe to say B&J, at this point and probably for a while now, are just the face of a giant corporation. Like the dude's car I saw the other day with a greatful dead sticker and a ron paul sticker right next to one another. They're just hippies with money = self indulgent douchebags. I doubt those dudes even set foot in their factories or REALLY give a shit about what goes into their scream. Their too busy trying to get Dave Matthews Band and Phish and all the shitty "hippie" groups of today agree to contribute to their names to a flavor.
    b,121
    b,121Don't get me wrong, I still eat it but I'm not holding those dudes up for anything other than being another decent ice cream company, nothing more.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Ben & Jerry's is owned by Unilever. And, according to the a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_&_Jerry's"1Wikipedia entry: b,121b,121Although the founders are still engaged with the company, they do not hold any board or management position and are not involved in day-to-day management of the company.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121 They're just hippies with money = self indulgent douchebags.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Are you suggesting those dudes in the 3 piece suits with the $100.00 Jerry Garcia ties are douchebags.......no shit!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121Are you suggesting those dudes in the 3 piece suits with the $100.00 Jerry Garcia ties are douchebags.......no shit!1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I would be shocked if a Jerry Garcia ties cost anywhere near $100. I'm thinking more like $14.99.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I would only try it if it was made with pure cambodian breast milk.b,121b,121-Edit: Chappelle Show related ... had to do it.

• As a lactating female (too much info?) I???m pretty sure I???m the only one on here who has actually made ice cream from breastmilk. Actually they were breast milk popsicles (or momsicles if you wanna get technical). Great for a teething baby.b,121b,121Breast milk actually tastes very good.1I tasted it because I wanted to make sure I knew when it was off. In case you want to know, it tastes like cow's milk but sweeter and thinner and with a higher fat content. That said, I don???t know about the idea of using human milk for mass-consumption. As someone pointed out, how are you going to ???farm??? that shit?b,121b,121On the other hand, I???m all for using it for medicinal purposes. Breast milk has antiseptic properties and contains immunologic agents that act against bacteria and viruses. I know, from personal experience, that it can be used to treat skin ailments and conjunctivitis in babies. It has been discussed as a potential treatment for cancer and gastrointestinal diseases such as Crohn's disease, but I don't know if any clinical trials have been done. I would totally support research in this area.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    This is the most amazing non-do not speak on that which do not know about ever!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121Are you suggesting those dudes in the 3 piece suits with the $100.00 Jerry Garcia ties are douchebags.......no shit!1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121I would be shocked if a Jerry Garcia ties cost anywhere near $100. I'm thinking more like $14.99.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Actually, Jerry Garcia's corpse draws mega $$$ from wealthy post-hippie boomers.b,121His name and the Dead trademark are used to sell overpriced items ranging fromb,121neckties to small-batch wines to golf club covers ... it's fairly disgusting.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121As a lactating female (too much info?) I???m pretty sure I???m the only one on here who has actually made ice cream from breastmilk. Actually they were breast milk popsicles (or momsicles if you wanna get technical). Great for a teething baby.
    b,121
    b,121Breast milk actually tastes very good.1I tasted it because I wanted to make sure I knew when it was off. In case you want to know, it tastes like cow's milk but sweeter and thinner and with a higher fat content. That said, I don???t know about the idea of using human milk for mass-consumption. As someone pointed out, how are you going to ???farm??? that shit?
    b,121
    b,121On the other hand, I???m all for using it for medicinal purposes. Breast milk has antiseptic properties and contains immunologic agents that act against bacteria and viruses. I know, from personal experience, that it can be used to treat skin ailments and conjunctivitis in babies. It has been discussed as a potential treatment for cancer and gastrointestinal diseases such as Crohn's disease, but I don't know if any clinical trials have been done. I would totally support research in this area.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/trophy.gif" alt="" 21b,121b,121b,121bet none a y'all saw that one coming!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121 They're just hippies with money = self indulgent douchebags.1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121I would be shocked if a Jerry Garcia ties cost anywhere near $100. I'm thinking more like $14.99.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121You are correct.....looks like they go for about $35.00 at the high end....goes great with the $160.00 GD belt.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I dunno - it just seem like it would fit today, it's a weird mood on the Board today.b, 21b, 21____________________________b, 21b, 21Mother fights for right to nurse in poolb, 21November 12, 2008b, 21b, 21A breastfeeding brouhaha has broken out at a York Region swimming facility.b, 21b, 21At one end of Newmarket's AquaCenter Swim School pool is Cinira Longuinho, who wants Ontario's Human Rights Tribunal to investigate why she was asked to leave the water Oct. 24 while breastfeeding her 20-month-old daughter Camilla on the pool steps.b, 21b, 21At the other end ??? and drowning in a sea of blogs, emails and protests ??? is pregnant AquaCenter owner Ellie Karkouti. She hired four security guards, not expecting them to show up in bulletproof vests, when Longuinho and her supporters threatened a "peaceful nursing protest" last Friday. b, 21b, 21In between are a whole bunch of people who are quietly wondering why breastfeeding still causes such a flood of emotions and how things got so out of control, right in the midst of York Region's "Anytime, Anywhere" breastfeeding campaign.b, 21b, 21"I believe in breastfeeding, just not in the pool," says pool owner Karkouti, 39, who is 17 weeks pregnant with her first child. "I gave her two options. I said I have comfortable chairs in the change room or the viewing gallery."b, 21b, 21According to Karkouti, while salt and chlorine reduce dangerous bacteria in a pool, the water's still "filled with stuff that you can't kill ??? people's pee and sweat and body stuff is in there. Am I ever going to stick my baby's mouth on a breast that's been in a pool without cleaning it (first)? Never, ever."b, 21b, 21Longuinho, 32, was chatting with a bunch of mothers and kids during their weekly, hour-long swim session at AquaCenter when her daughter became cranky. Rather than climb out of the warm water onto the cool deck, out of range of her friends, Longuinho started nursing Camilla on the stairs, with her breasts above water.b, 21b, 21She claims Karkouti came up to her a few minutes later and gave her one option: the change room. "I didn't know what to do," says Longuinho. "I was embarrassed. In reality, I wanted to pretend that nothing had happened."b, 21b, 21So she spent the last few minutes swimming with her daughter, then fed her in the change room and, later, her car, where she started to realize: "What happened was wrong. I knew that, based on the law, I had the right to breastfeed in a public place." b, 21b, 21Longuinho, who emigrated from Brazil four years ago, says English isn't her first language and blames that, in part, for what happened next. b, 21b, 21When friends expressed outrage ??? and her daughter's former pediatrician stressed there should be "no qualification" on where a mother feeds her child ??? Longuinho urged them to join her in a "peaceful protest for breastfeeding" at the AquaCenter last Friday. She says she simply intended to feed her child in the pool. But then details of the "protest" hit breastfeeding sites and blogs ??? and Karkouti's email inbox. Fearing that dozens of angry lactivists might show up at her pool, Karkouti contacted York Regional Police. b, 21b, 21When it became clear they had no intention of sending uniformed officers, she says, Karkouti hired $400 worth of her own protection ??? four security guards who kept the 20 or so protesters, many of them children, at bay.b, 21b, 21"I guess that's what they come with," Karkouti said yesterday of the Kevlar-clad guards. "I didn't even notice. All I thought was, `If I have 400 people trying to force their way in, what am I supposed to do?'"b, 21b, 21Says Longuinho: "We weren't carrying signs or anything. The idea was to go and talk to her (Karkouti) and nurse in the pool. One of the guards even had handcuffs. I believe it was to intimidate us."b, 21b, 21Karkouti was so concerned the protest might foul the water, forcing a costly cleanup or shutdown, she refused to let the group in. b, 21b, 21Longuinho is pondering her next move. "What happened was wrong," she says. "I want to use it as an example for other mothers that they should not be afraid of breastfeeding, even in a pool."b, 21b, 21It's far from the first time a lactating mother has been kicked out of a pool. After a number of "breastfeeding incidents" at municipal pools (this pool is privately owned), the Breastfeeding Action Committee of Edmonton urged governments to uniformly adopt breastfeeding-friendly regulations, saying there is no evidence the practice is unsafe for babies, their mothers or others in the pool.b, 21b, 21The Ontario Human Rights Commission says breastfeeding women can't be prohibited from feeding their babies in public, or ordered to move to areas considered more "discreet." But the Ministry of Health sets rules that ban food and drink around pools, says Karkouti, and if breastfeeding is allowed, bottles should also be allowed. b, 21b, 21A Ministry of Health official who is aware of this incident couldn't be reached for comment.