PonyPony 2,283 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central

Comments

• chrisflyerchrisflyer 275 Posts
    I RIDE

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Album is good.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I have not liked his recordings but he did WOW me when I saw him live and had no idea what to expect.

• YENYEN 23 Posts
    yes... also check his "a little bit more " song on the multipy remix ep! hard pumpin' bassline!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I have not liked his recordings but he did WOW me when I saw him live and had no idea what to expect.

Always dug the Multiply album. And when I saw him live last summer at the Pitchfork festival, his act was eccentric as all hell, like he knew he'd better get over with the backpackers: he was wearing a gold-lame headdress and jacket while beatboxing through a delay machine.

• SoundclashSoundclash 77 Posts
    The current show he is touring is completely different. He plays with a full band: a guy who plays different saxophones at the same time (Roland Kirk stylee), a drummer who also plays a bass pedal set and a guitar player who Jamie describes as a freak... Sounds promising...

• breadwinnerbreadwinner 535 Posts

Is John Mayer Strut-Approved?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    In the back of my mind I keep confusing Lidell for Lewis Taylor...

• YENYEN 23 Posts
    jamie jadell used to be a Drum & Bass / Techno producer! Once hooking up with Berlin-based producer/singer Mocky he turned into this style!

After the succes of Multiply... he made his new album Jim in the multiply style, but more kinda sweet soul album...

He just visited Amsterdam 10 days ago!

seeing him with a full band is not a bad thing, but what I loved about what I saw was that it was this lone guy in some ratty khakis and a button-up (alas, no gold lame) standing in front a mic and gadgets and basically building songs right there in front of you. and he could sing!

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    and a guitar player who Jamie describes as a freak...

?

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I admit that i googled dude after seeing the Target commercial. That track is great, but I haven't had the time or energy to check more of his stuff. Looks like I might need to.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    It still spins me out that he used to produce bleepy minimal techno and that this current record is on warp. I've never heard him do DnB though. Im really diggin the new album. Figured Me Out is a nice dance floor cut
    On a side note anyone heard the new Plant LIfe LP?

• fauxteurfauxteur 342 Posts
    i never thought much of him before, but i must have caught him at a bad time ... cool video

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    really shitty singer. robin thicke >>>> lidell

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    white privilege like a motherfucker on this btw

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    His dad played drums for Shakatak.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

plesae to get over thineself monsieur holier-than.

really shitty singer. robin thicke >>>> lidell

I'll take a bite of the catnip.

Isn't Robin Thicke white and the son of a rich white actor?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

I'm usually happy to laugh quietly to myself when people post dumb shit on here, rather than get in their faces, but this is some dumb shit.

Robin Thicke = talented singer/writer
    Jamie Lidell =

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    It still spins me out that he used to produce bleepy minimal techno and that this current record is on warp. I've never heard him do DnB though. Im really diggin the new album. Figured Me Out is a nice dance floor cut
    On a side note anyone heard the new Plant LIfe LP?

His erstwhile partner in Super_Collider, Christian Vogel, is more of a minimal techno guy than he is. Their first single has a really good Harvey remix, and the album was like a glitched-out version of George Clinton's "Computer Games" with a Princealike hollering over the top of everything. It sounded weird as all get-out at the time, and still sounds weird now.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    I went to iTunes to purchase, but got scared when I saw it on the gray's anatomy soundtrack....

I went to iTunes to purchase, but got scared when I saw it on the gray's anatomy soundtrack....

lol - is it me or does everyone on that show have the kind if face that makes you want to slap them? I can't even stand the commercials.

On an unrelated topic - how many suckers will be dragged to watch the Sex in the City movie with their better half?

• This is horrible.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

I'm usually happy to laugh quietly to myself when people post dumb shit on here, rather than get in their faces, but this is some dumb shit.

Robin Thicke = talented singer/writer
    Jamie Lidell =
    aint no question thicke gets over on white privelege too, i just think his songs are better. nothing as sexy as 'i need love' on that lidell album

what exactly is next level about dude anyway? his voice is rough and sounds like hes trying real hard to sound 'soulful.' musically its just kinda generic throwback shit w/ a few bleepy noises thrown in occasionally so ppl will call it 'next level.'

not feeling it at all. if he wasnt dressed trendy and on warp records he wouldnt even be good enough to make it into starbucks

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    also doc mccoy aren't you british??? i thought you'd be the one to say

In the back of my mind I keep confusing Lidell for Lewis Taylor...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    add some carpetbaggin faux redneck elements to this Lidell dude and you get our local version:
    www.myspace.com/jumpbackjake

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Next Deej is going to be slammin Joe Cocker as a carpetbagger. Just stop. This ish is so 1993.

• I enjoyed the Super Collider shit with Vogel, dubby/dark/glitchy prince moves. But ever since then he's been gradually moving away from that and towards white man temptation for white men who never heard the temptations territory. Which is disappointing to say the least.

Deej is right to say that he gets over on his back story alone. Tons of shitty white people are making retro soul but none of them are also into circuit bending.

S_C: