supertoaster interview

Comments

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

come on now, kid is 16 and he's just getting started, and at the stage he's at shit is pretty remarkable. what were most of you doing at that age, ya know? and what do his jazz downtempo ambient beats have to do with rappp? he's not killing any artform.

i'm sure 90% of producers on here were making better beats than this at 16.

I made these at age 16:

(sampled from that movie 'Paranha 2'... ever seen that shit? the piranhas can FLY out of the fuckin water and eat your face. I also had just gotten my tech 1200 so there is some rugged scratching on this one)

( to be fair, i was 17 when i made this last one)

I think he needs a few more years before radio play is even an option.. Gilles should cue up an episode of Arrested Development and watch when Job says "I've made a huge mistake."

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    THAT INTERVIEW WOULD HAVE READ BETTER WITH THE CAPS LOCK ON.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    ya'll are some bitter, petty, motherfuckers. hahahaha

Excuse me, but didn't you miss the multiple eras of superpoasting that dude inflicted on this board? I think everyone who endured that has earned the right to hate on him...

did I? I dunno. multiple eras? I been on here for 8 years, don't really remember dude, but I was on hiatus during my employ in the adult industry.

Either way, grown men hating on a 16 year old seems petty.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    come on!!! there are 12-year-olds who can play a real instrument. give them the mpc and they would KILL it... those beats are musical diarrhea!

Most people who play a 'real' instrument wouldn't know how to go about turning on an mpc, let alone conceptualizing how to make a beat. GTFOOWTBS, mpc is a real instrument.

I AM SAYING. Where's the appreciation of the art, the heat, the rael?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    just out of curiosity...

how old does he have to be before folks can hate on his posts and his music?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I believe the standard is, if you're old enough to post on Soulstrut, you're old enough to get the clon.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    ya'll are some bitter, petty, motherfuckers. hahahaha

Excuse me, but didn't you miss the multiple eras of superpoasting that dude inflicted on this board? I think everyone who endured that has earned the right to hate on him...

did I? I dunno. multiple eras? I been on here for 8 years, don't really remember dude, but I was on hiatus during my employ in the adult industry.

Either way, grown men hating on a 16 year old seems petty.

the music is petty.

I am not a grown man (but anything is possible) and I don't hate the kid, but the music is weak and his youth or some halfway famous dude hyping it still doesn't turn shit into cream. To put a positive spin on it, the only way is up.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    despite the BAN his poasts are still intact.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I believe the standard is, if you're old enough to post on Soulstrut, you're old enough to get the clon.

haha point taken. I aint mad at anyone, all the bitterness in this thread made me laugh.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I am not a grown man (but anything is possible)

The mind fairly reels.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Its amazing that he's only 16 & I don't want to discourage the yout, but listening to his beat makes me wish that the internet, Microwave, and fruity loops were never invented. Straight up, the web & computers is killing rap music.

No, it's making hip-hop more accessible to those who should be making it...which is great when you consider how rare it is for core-audience kids nowadays to have access to relevant record collections and classic beatmaking equipment.

Hip-Hop shouldn't just be reserved for some elite club of those so-called "wise" enough to know how to do things a certain way.

I say it's fine time to take all of the old rules and crumble them up in order to start anew. Oops, that has already long since happened. Now...

DEAL.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Here's the thing... it doesn't matter that he's only 16... the music he put out to the PUBLIC is awful. It's awesome that he's only 16 and I'm sure it'll get better with time, but don't RELEASE awful music... plain and simple. Once it's out there it's open to criticism no matter who you are. Everybody needs to keep their first beats to themselves... if you wanna post privately to get feedback, that's one thing, but don't go on a PR spree with em.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I could care less about his music. If he's getting play, the more power to him.

That said, dude is pretty much a dickhead. His PM's over the years by different aliases is proof.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Whatever. I think the person at fault here is Gilles Peterson. SP is 16 and making mediocre beats. that's fine. He'll get better or he'll quit or whatever. I haven't heard his shit, but if it's weak and Gilles is putting it on, then Gilles' tastes have taken a turn for the suspect.

I support young people making music, but I also think that young cats shouldn't get unwarranted shine too early in their careers. If you're shit is brilliant out the gate, then fine, get the fame and the money. Otherwise you need to pay some dues. Your wack stuff should fall on deaf ears and make you step your game up.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    When kids suck they need to be told they suck...this will prevent them from becoming adults that suck....

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    When kids suck they need to be told they suck...this will prevent them from becoming adults that suck....

Those 2 beats do indeed suck.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts

After listening to those beats through ear phones(& not through my laptop's integrated speakers) I do have to say that ish is VERY sloppy and all (although ish on his myspace is much more tolerable). As mentioned before I still prefer this to 3/4 of the crap that can be found on youtube.I'm not gonna hate just because he's superpoaster. I mean the kid was f*ckin' annoying as hell but judging his music based on who he is isn't the way to go.
    The fact that Gilles Peterson played this is definitely not a good a look x 10 for him .

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    GP probably sees a lot of himself in the young man

Poaster does conspicuously use the word c*nt.

• I support young people making music, but I also think that young cats shouldn't get unwarranted shine too early in their careers. If you're shit is brilliant out the gate, then fine, get the fame and the money. Otherwise you need to pay some dues. Your wack stuff should fall on deaf ears and make you step your game up.

i think this sums it up pretty well. imagine the way SPs head ballooned when he realized he was on GPs show.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

I support young people making music, but I also think that young cats shouldn't get unwarranted shine too early in their careers. If you're shit is brilliant out the gate, then fine, get the fame and the money. Otherwise you need to pay some dues. Your wack stuff should fall on deaf ears and make you step your game up.

i think this sums it up pretty well. imagine the way SPs head ballooned when he realized he was on GPs show.

It's in the interview. If he was arrogant when he was on here before, his head has now detached and floated away.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    come on!!! there are 12-year-olds who can play a real instrument. give them the mpc and they would KILL it... those beats are musical diarrhea!

Most people who play a 'real' instrument wouldn't know how to go about turning on an mpc, let alone conceptualizing how to make a beat. GTFOOWTBS, mpc is a real instrument.

mpc is a piece of shit!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Don't you see? We are ALL pawns in superpoaster's game of self-approval!

I can believe that Gilles played one of his tracks. As much as I respect the man, he always seems to be, almost recklessly, looking for the next big thing and putting SPbeatz in that category was an oversight.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    We are all pawns in superpoaster's game of self-approval!

I can believe that Gilles played one of his tracks. As much as I respect the man, he always seems to be looking for the next big thing and putting SPbeatz in that category was an oversight.

Does it occur to anyone that Supertoaster the teen beatmaker and Superpoaster the annoying SoulStrut poaster (who I believe to be a socially dysfunctional adult) are not actually the same person? I.e., that Superpoaster read about Supertoaster somewhere else online and thought it was a funny idea for an alias?

We need the one Sleuther Vandross on the case.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    We are all pawns in superpoaster's game of self-approval!

I can believe that Gilles played one of his tracks. As much as I respect the man, he always seems to be looking for the next big thing and putting SPbeatz in that category was an oversight.

Does it occur to anyone that Supertoaster the teen beatmaker and Superpoaster the annoying SoulStrut poaster (who I believe to be a socially dysfunctional adult) are not actually the same person? I.e., that Superpoaster read about Supertoaster somewhere else online and thought it was a funny idea for an alias?

We need the one Sleuther Vandross on the case.

Nah, the one Superpoaster tried to send me some Insight produced stuff in exchange for a 20SYL beat CD, and in this interview he says he loves them both...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    The apparent common thread is the name Jesse Futerman.

And it also appears that Gilles was "fooled," twice:

MySpace Blog Post[/b]

Sunday, March 16, 2008

GILES PETERSON, I WAS PLAYED ON

Don Cherry & The Jazz Composers Orchestra ??? ???Desireless??? (JCOA)
    Shamek Farrah ??? ???First Impressions??? (Strata-East)
    Jesse Futerman ??? ???For Dilla??? (Test) !!![/b]
    Georgia Anne Muldrow ??? ???Runaway??? (Test)
    Georgia Anne Muldrow ??? ???Don???t Let Them Forget Who You Are??? (Test)
    Alicia Keys ??? ???Wreckless Love??? (J)
    Guilty Simpson ??? ???Home Invasion??? (Stones Throw)
    Phil Ranelin ??? ???Vibes From The Tribe??? (Time Is Now)

"my real name is jesse futerman. He never even told me I was being played on his radio station. Anyways, im in full shock. Peace"

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=132377320&blogID=367511356

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperToaster

Supertoaster? One of the dudes' name is Jesse.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

I AM SAYING. Where's the appreciation of the art, the heat, the rael?

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    i have to support this kid - superpoaster thread was mega LOL and got me to come back to Soulstrut to check funny threads.

his sound collages sound competent enough. perhaps too much reliance on ProTools frippery but hey why not, all i cared about when i was 16 was weed and LSD.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    all i cared about when i was 16 was weed and LSD.

i wouldn't say that out loud. sounds super turdy to me! but i guess you did it the cool way.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts

Shamek Farrah ??? ???First Impressions??? (Strata-East)
    Jesse Futerman ??? ???For Dilla??? (Test) !!![/b]
    Georgia Anne Muldrow ??? ???Runaway??? (Test)
    Georgia Anne Muldrow ??? ???Don???t Let Them Forget Who You Are??? (Test)
    Alicia Keys ??? ???Wreckless Love??? (J)
    Guilty Simpson ??? ???Home Invasion??? (Stones Throw)
    Phil Ranelin ??? ???Vibes From The Tribe??? (Time Is Now)

"my real name is jesse futerman. He never even told me I was being played on his radio station. Anyways, im in full shock. Peace"

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=132377320&blogID=367511356

wow, insane. especially since its between shamek farrah & muldrow.
    i doubt gilles was the one to discover SP. he has his agents searching for "HOT" new music.. anyway, still a shame.
    on his last show he played a track of mine - and gave it a completly new name.
    dude`s a bit lost as it seems.