supertoaster interview

Comments

• HamHam 872 Posts

come on now, kid is 16 and he's just getting started, and at the stage he's at shit is pretty remarkable. what were most of you doing at that age, ya know? and what do his jazz downtempo ambient beats have to do with rappp? he's not killing any artform.

i'm sure 90% of producers on here were making better beats than this at 16.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    I read some where that Jose James was a flyin lotus side project anyone confirm this?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    q: Are you an elitist?

a:Yes. Not in the way that I think I am the shit. I am very careful of being cocky.

But I will be a complete cunt and judge other???s music tastes as inferior. I???m known by my friends to have an amazing and versatile taste in music. I sort of wear that like a badge and I often act like some Fascist music critic towards anything that they play for me that I do not think is awesome. It???s not a good look. But I guess I have more positives then negatives.

It's hard to know where to begin.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

come on now, kid is 16 and he's just getting started, and at the stage he's at shit is pretty remarkable. what were most of you doing at that age, ya know? and what do his jazz downtempo ambient beats have to do with rappp? he's not killing any artform.

i'm sure 90% of producers on here were making better beats than this at 16.

I doubt it. There are a percentage of producers on here whose beats are on par with dude's stuff now. It may be cool to hate on him, but his music isn't bad. It's funny that people on here will ride so hard for another tepid rap single that has as much musical merit as toaster's beats.

I don't know how he wound up filed under hip hop, but his music doesn't suck.

Sorry An***w.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts

gilles peterson played his stuff on worldwide. I cannot explain that one.

Where did it say this, i didn't catch it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/gillespeterson/index.shtml

on this week's playlist

IG Culture- ???Girl U Need A Change of Mind??? (Freedom School)
    John Matthias- ???I Will Disappear???
    Jesse Futerman- ???Untitled) (Test)[/b]
    Bob Cunningham - ???Lover???s Theme??? (Nilva)
    Tetine- ???A Historia Da Garca??? (Soul Jazz)

to quote gp "one to watch for, remember you heard it here first"

I dunno man - I think every working DJ eventually suffers from fresh meat syndrome, where you play some random tune because it's new & you got it on a CDR. Same thing happened to me... Benji B played one of my edits a few times on Radio 1 because he got it on a second-hand CDR. I'm not the greatest producer and it's not the greatest edit, but who cares? It was new to him and it fit in with whatever he was playing. And Gilles Peterson is definitely known to play some total crap from time to time.

To complete the circle of jokes, my tune was an edit of "Mozambique" off the Soulstrut classic:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

To complete the circle of jokes, my tune was an edit of "Mozambique" off the Soulstrut classic:

Damn! Did you have to borrow Keb Darge's copy?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Superpoaster's latest alias REVEALED....

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts

Damn! Did you have to borrow Keb Darge's copy?

Ya know, my friend gave me a copy as a gift and I was searching for some justification for having it in the house.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Hey good for him, but the tracks do sound like d-grade Mushroom Jazz from '97.

• come on now, kid is 16 and he's just getting started, and at the stage he's at shit is pretty remarkable. what were most of you doing at that age, ya know?[/b] and what do his jazz downtempo ambient beats have to do with rappp? he's not killing any artform.

I was smoking pot like a normal 16 year old.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    sorry, but his music sucks. can't hear anything in it. i didn't make beats when i was 16, but i had some self-respect and self-criticism.

i don't know what the deal is. ANYONE with an mpc could make beats like that. it's supertoastereasy! heard music like that a million times and it even bored me when i first heard it.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    hmmmm..

to respond

1)yes, flying lotus and jose james have a project. Their track visions of violet is out on the flip of the Park bench People cover version 12" on brownswood recordings (gilles' label). the rest is coming out on Blue Note - Black Magic is the best track i've heard of that.

2)Hatting on a 16 year old... so unnecessary. hopefully the kid will grow up to REALLY piss you off by doing something great. I'm sure he will someday, considering he's 10 years younger than the average age of producers in this scene. It's all a journey isn't it.

why not celebrate something rather than dissing something else.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I guess this is kinda like that youtube vid of a 3 year old boxing. This is an unusual level of commitment to something from someone who is very young. Is he slowly killing sample based music with his efforts? Yes. But, to be fair, other people twice his age are killing this music, too. There are a million bedroom producers making music that will give you a piercing migraine. We can thank computers & the interwebs for that. I say bravo to this guy for being young & making music. He could be on dope or making trouble or on welfare. Play on playa and keep your nose clean.

i still don't understand this "killing" thing

the music you are all striving for died a long time ago

mostly killed itself if you ask me

I can't think of any young producers that are any good that are up and coming who are playing by the rules of old, that's just not how evolution works.

I agree that less may be more in the interview stakes - and humility is an important quality in any human being, regardless of age.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    come on!!! there are 12-year-olds who can play a real instrument. give them the mpc and they would KILL it... those beats are musical diarrhea!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I think, like most people, the knowledge of his posting activity on here is going to taint how I listen to this. Anyway...

I don't particularly like any of the tracks; the drums are sometimes unintentionally disjointed and off beat, the levels sound wrong and you can hear where the loops have been wedged in. They're not terrible though. Having said all that, congrats to him for sticking with it despite the shit he got here and probably elsewhere and if it works out then good luck to him.

I just hope he doesn't ever come back here.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    how would the toaster have gone about getting his wack music to GP exactly? this makes me feel like I've woken up in some bizarro world.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    GP probably sees a lot of himself in the young man

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Jesse???s remixes float somewhere in the outer stretch of the known remix universe, like a bionic rainbow ready to set you on fire

it's safe to say GP's reputation(?) on the strut is in tatters after this latest debacle.

it's safe to say GP's reputation(?) on the strut is in tatters after this latest debacle.

yep

Paul Murphy
    Keb beef
    attitude to youngsters
    poncey banter on his shows
    this latest thing

it's all bad, nothing good in this best of all possible worlds, where every prospect pleases and only man is vile

word to danny baker, a far better dj

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    ya'll are some bitter, petty, motherfuckers. hahahaha

Paul Murphy
    Keb beef

oh boy this is ancient history you're talking here.

I'd say full respect to all three - three of the most off the wall characters in the history of british djing

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    come on!!! there are 12-year-olds who can play a real instrument. give them the mpc and they would KILL it... those beats are musical diarrhea!

Most people who play a 'real' instrument wouldn't know how to go about turning on an mpc, let alone conceptualizing how to make a beat. GTFOOWTBS, mpc is a real instrument.

Paul Murphy
    Keb beef

hahahaha.. oh boy this is ancient history you're talking here.

I'd say full respect to all three - three of the most off the wall characters in the history of british djing

gilles gave paul an award recently, and deservedly so - for he inherited the london jazz dance scene from paul when he chucked in his residency at the electric ballrooms. no issue there.

as for Keb, i remember them djing together recently!

i can't imagine what this supertoaster must have said to you lot to get you so upset! 16 year olds round my way put dog poo in paper bags and leave it on your doorstep so i'm sure it was the net-equivalent

just some inet provocation, worry not!
    enjoyed moaning about GP recently, but all involved realise that it's jealousy related

with a little bit of real beef thrown in

Our hate is coming from the unique way the BBC is funded, we're essentially paying for Superpoaster to get his UK (and Worldwide) shine on.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    just because Gilles is playing it doesnt mean shit...John Peel played my band on his show on 4 different occasions and it didnt do shit for us, except for the fact we can say "John Peel played my band 4 times on his radio show"...and John Peel had a shit ton more respect and listeners than Gilles, the expert on obscure shitty smoove jazz...

Our hate is coming from the unique way the BBC is funded, we're essentially paying for Superpoaster to get his UK (and Worldwide) shine on.

though better spent on poaster than advertising Lloyd Webbers latest musical

however Lionel Bart >>>>>>>>>>>> x infinity >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> supertoaster

with a little bit of real beef thrown in

ahhhh lifes too shizzort mayne.

dude was riding for day's ish non stop a coupla years back. that's love.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    ya'll are some bitter, petty, motherfuckers. hahahaha

Excuse me, but didn't you miss the multiple eras of superpoasting that dude inflicted on this board? I think everyone who endured that has earned the right to hate on him...