Late Night Strut Check-In?? (real talk)

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Pssssstttttttt...Is it to early ???Alright fuck it. Today I went to my first day of work since I graduated school. I was real nervous because frankly I'm a lazy fucker and I was worried that I would resort to my usual antics of taking 2 hour lunch breaks, 30 minute "15's" and just taking shortcuts and half ass-ing my work. I suprisingly passed. Maybe finsihing school gave me some type of f-o-c-u-s.When I came back home I had e-mail waiting with a job offer of something like 50,000 STARTING Salry w/ crazy benefits as a mid-level advertising assistant (Shouts to Ross Hogg for giving me the idea of posting up on Yahoo Jobs). I'm not sure if it's a really offer but they dug my resume and I'm waiting to see whats up with an interview. My point is that this is first time I've been offered some real grown man work, kinda intimidates. I think all my first time real-world workers know what i'm feeling. Don't get me wrong, definetly not scuuuuured of some interoffice TPS reports but I feel like "damn, it's time to show and prove/this ain't no bullshit temp work anymore".But bigger than all this, my homegirls father passed away. I've been kind of in shock the past two days. I don't know why, I haven't really talked to said girl in like a year and I never ever met the dude. Maybe it was because her father died of Cancer which is something that hits crazy close to home and me and old girl had some histroy/I was crazy sprung of off her BITDI'm mad tempted to delete this, but fuck it.....P.BlabberingP.S. I'm working on a beat in the other room. What is everyone else doing?

Comments

• I'm working the "Gaelic Storm" show.

lame.

172 tickets sold.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    "Gaelic Storm"

AYYYY YOOOOO [/b]

seriously, what is that?

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    i'm always here for the late night hype, man its like 12:15 in the afternoon here so go figure...

congrats on the new job. and if the one from yahoo is better, ditch this one and get that dough.

i'm at work...15 more mins. till lunch time.

who cares...

• Just watched Fela: Music is the Weapon and Chuck Close:Portrait in Progress. Different ends of the creative spectrum I guess. Been rocking Love is a Real Thing, that David Byrne West African psychedelia comp. William Onyeabor "Better Change Your Mind" is on heavy rotation. That and Microwave Boogie.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I saw a new bollywood flick SARKAR (pretty decent GODFATHER ripoff) at the theater and after that I've been cleaning about 30 bollywood records and a box more of dirty used vinyl that's been accumulating over the past week or so. Also needledropping said bolly albums for club playout tracks. Frontrunner so far is "Sweety Seventeen" from the TUMHAARE BINA soundtrack from 1981. Reading SoulStrut while doing it has been fun.

On the job front, I've been jobless since December, but with DJing and freelance design, I've made just as much money as when I was on salary. I'm not a morning person so I can't complain about making my own hours.

But is it actually late on the west coast? When's bedtime? 9:30?

I saw a new bollywood flick SARKAR (pretty decent GODFATHER ripoff) at the theater and after that I've been cleaning about 30 bollywood records and a box more of dirty used vinyl that's been accumulating over the past week or so. Also needledropping said bolly albums for club playout tracks. Frontrunner so far is "Sweety Seventeen" from the TUMHAARE BINA soundtrack from 1981. Reading SoulStrut while doing it has been fun.

On the job front, I've been jobless since December, but with DJing and freelance design, I've made just as much money as when I was on salary. I'm not a morning person so I can't complain about making my own hours.

Yeah maybe I was pre-emptive "L.N.C.I.". post.

I always thought the bollywood stuff you played was "new world beat stuff w/ a puhnjabi mc remix". Didn't know you where dropping "raers".

P.S. You'll get a kick out of this: I"m eating some of those "mimosa" things (those fried jawns with the potatoes and spices n shit).

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Getting all my posts in before the Hurricane hits on saturday.Yes it's the second one within a week's period.

• Those are samosas. mimosa is champagne and orange juice I think. perhaps you were being facetious. Fuck, between this and all the pot I want a samosa now. Trader Joes has passable frozen ones, but nothing beats the real deal.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    check in:

been sitting back in mostly sloth mode for the last few days, my job ended on Friday so I was relaxing klike my name was Reynaldo. Been doing a whole lotta digging (check the monday, tuesday, wednesday digs threads). Got the call today that I start a new job on Monday...with a pay increase.

YungMoist: I feel you on having grown folk jobs before I was working in Hollywood offices I had been chillin behind the counters of record stores for 6 years. I feel like Kadeem Hardison learning that its a different world from where I come from

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Summer semester is over, so I'm chillin' until school starts again in September.

The Hawaiian vacation (pt.4) is set for July 31st.

I always thought the bollywood stuff you played was "new world beat stuff w/ a puhnjabi mc remix". Didn't know you where dropping "raers".

No. No new world beat stuff in NC.

To be honest, I used to play more raers and they went over real well - there's some really dope & heavy bollywood disco tracks. But as I've gotten more new stuff and haven't found enough really 100% slamming older records, I tend to go for the hiphop/bhangra/dancehall crossover more than anything else.

P.S. You'll get a kick out of this: I"m eating some of those "mimosa" things (those fried jawns with the potatoes and spices n shit).

I'm getting more of a kick over the fact that they're actually called samosas.

Your mimosa is either

1. A flower
    2. A girly drink
    3. General-purpose software for timetabling in schools and universities. (www.mimosasoftware.com/ )

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

apparently this is supposed to be a picture of a dude stung by a bee...does this seem authentic to you?

YungMoist: I feel you on having grown folk jobs before I was working in Hollywood offices I had been chillin behind the counters of record stores for 6 years. I feel like Kadeem Hardison learning that its a different world from where I come from

Naw it's not that, actually I figured out what it is. I'm all cautious to get the job and then just fuck up and get fired or have that shit take over my life.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

have u seen the rip off of resevoir dogs? it is phucking hilarious. half the movie is a rip off the the quentin camera style shot (which he prob ripped off himself) of the guys walking all cool and stuff with the stuttery camera. to top it off, there's like a joe pechi character out of nowhere, its the funniest thing ever. im trying to track down the bollywood rip off of superman back in the day. i also saw the bollywood ripoff of ET, that was alright. there's a badass bollywood movie called company which is pure gangsterism and looks like it was shot in hollywood that's worth checking out. i'l check out sarkar.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts

Samosas are the fucking bomb. Don't let anyone talk you into anything other than veggie though. Beef and chicken just don't cut it.

Didn't know the strut had a late night crowd. I figured it was mostly people wasting time at work.

I'm about to start working on some beats. Trying to decide if I should try to finish something, or start something new. Maybe just troll some records for sampleables...

Bowl is packed and I'm about to spark.

Definetly vegetarian over here, straight from Whole Foods of all places.

apparently this is supposed to be a picture of a dude stung by a bee...does this seem authentic to you?

They must mean "bees" i dont think it's real though the lips are too big.

Post a clip of the beat you're working on!

mimosa is also a great album by fun loving criminals...well actually covers and re-workings of earlier songs

http://www.beatchemist.com/music/roy_demo.mp3

I did this last night... just loops and drums right now. Foundation shit.

have u seen the rip off of resevoir dogs?

Actually I get the feeling there's a lot of those out nowadays in India judging from previews and soundtrack covers I've seen. Are you talking about MUSAFIR? Reviews I've read of that one almost always mentioned QT but not in a good way. I think I've been avoiding it because it has Anil Kapoor whom I can't stand to look at.

there's a badass bollywood movie called company which is pure gangsterism and looks like it was shot in hollywood that's worth checking out.

Yeah that's a good one. Not coincidentally, COMPANY was produced by bollywood maverick (i.e. he rarely has song/dance numbers in his movies) Ram Gopal Varma, who directed SARKAR. He definitely has the most western style of directing than any other mainstream bollywood filmmaker, and always has some titlecard disclaimer with his signature at the beginning of the movie that looks like the disclaimer from MJ's "Thriller" video. BTW, SARKAR has both Amitabh & Abishek, no songs at all, lots of people getting shot & stabbed, looks like a high-budget hollywood feature, and has a titlecard disclaimer from RGV saying this is his tribute to THE GODFATHER.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    K.I.M.

heres some gospel for a thursday night of pondering

Columbus Mann says We Gotta Hep

oh for real, i'l definitely check that out then. and thanks for the knowledge.

oh and the resevoir dogs remake is called "Kaante" and is a direct tribute/rip off to resevoir dogs, if you want some laughs and something to get drunk too, u can check it out, it wasn't amazing though.

K.I.M.

http://s25.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=246WOC5W8CV622WVRRGWRL1XXT

You guys got locked out the station lol,how late did you arrive?you must have been seriously late for that to happen.

K.I.M.

Good lookin! The fucking piano runs in the background are

Who is that?

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

hova?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    K.I.M.

Good lookin! The fucking piano runs in the background are

Who is that?

Gospel singer Columbus Mann on his 1975 S|T LP

hova?

This is the first time i can honestly say that i was LOL when i typed LOL.

You guys got locked out the station lol,how late did you arrive?you must have been seriously late for that to happen.

Word! good try,you know you were "high" before you reached the station.