This scares me

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Unless somebody altered the quote, the statistic clearly compares the proportion of Clinton backers that would support McCain (1/4) to the proportion of Obama supporters that also would support McCain (1/5).

but this still doesn't tell us what the 4/5 of the Obama supporters who don't get what they want are going to do in the general.

my post admittedly assumed that, in the event of an Obama nomination, Hillary supporters not voting McCain will vote Obama.

however it's not at all clear to me that, in the event of Hillary nomination, the 4/5 of Obama supporters who wouldn't vote McCain would actually vote Hillary.

if you have any insights into the probable outcome under those circumstances, by all means enlighten me.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    like it matters. obama cant win. remember bernie kerik, and how he basically sank Rudy. Bill Ayers and his wife Squeeky From or whatever her name is are like poison. You cant run for office even if you've just been in the same room with them. Unless you're the arresting officer or prosecutor. This woman thought what Manson did was good! You think that people are just going to ignore this because you think the 60's were cool and like Che? You think Obama can just close his eyes and eat his waffle and make it go away?

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

Unless somebody altered the quote, the statistic clearly compares the proportion of Clinton backers that would support McCain (1/4) to the proportion of Obama supporters that also would support McCain (1/5).

but this still doesn't tell us what the 4/5 of the Obama supporters who don't get what they want are going to do in the general.

my post admittedly assumed that, in the event of an Obama nomination, Hillary supporters not voting McCain will vote Obama.

however it's not at all clear to me that, in the event of Hillary nomination, the 4/5 of Obama supporters who wouldn't vote McCain would actually vote Hillary.

if you have any insights into the probable outcome under those circumstances, by all means enlighten me.

wait, how do you assume to know what the hillary supporters that aren't voting for McCain will do?

wait, how do you assume to know what the hillary supporters that aren't voting for McCain will do?

it is what it is; an assumption.

like I said without knowing who these people will actually vote for (if at all), I just don't see the relevance of the original statistic posted.

I want to know which Dem nominee will bring the most voters to the polls to pull the lever for whoever the Dem candidate is.

as someone who thinks both Dem candidates are strong, and who wants above all else to see a Dem take the WH, this is the stat that is most relevant to me.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    like it matters. obama cant win. remember bernie kerik, and how he basically sank Rudy. Bill Ayers and his wife squeeky from or whatever her name is are like poison. You cant run for office even if you've just been in the same room with them. Unless you're the arresting officer or prosecutor. This woman thought what Manson did was good! You think that people are just going to ignore this because you think the 60's were cool and like Che? You think Obama can just close his eyes and eat his waffle and make it go away?

Unfortunately, this is true.....Ayers and his pals should be in jail, not hanging out with a Presidential candidate.

While I believe McCain intends on running a "clean" campaign, the conservative media will be promoting Obama/Ayers T-Shirts by September.

Now if we can just find those photos of McCain playing shuffleboard with Eric Rudolph it'll be all good.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I'm not sure why you're getting ass-hurt about this--all I'm doing is pointing out that the quote does, in fact, compare apples to apples.

You're hung up on the fact that we don't know what the other 4/5+ of Obama supporters would do in the event of a Hillary nomination, but we also don't know what the other 3/4 of Hillary supporters would do in the event of an Obama one. You "admittedly assumed" that you knew what the latter group would do, but it is your assumption--and not the quote--that creates a comparison of apples and oranges. That's not much of a basis for insulting other peoples' intelligence.

dude no one's asshurt. if by "insulting intelligence" you meant my original response to daze (i.e. "genius"), I was reacting purely to his characterization of the numbers: that "basically there's a bigger percentage of Hillary supporters that are complete fucktards."

we can disagree about the proper assumptions to be made re: voting patterns, and whether this stat is or isn't even particularly relevant, but I think (hope) we can agree that his was not really a helpful analysis of the statistic.

dude no one's asshurt. if by "insulting intelligence" you meant my original response to daze (i.e. "genius"), I was reacting purely to his characterization of the numbers: that "basically there's a bigger percentage of Hillary supporters that are complete fucktards."

we can disagree about the proper assumptions to be made re: voting patterns, and whether this stat is or isn't even particularly relevant, but I think (hope) we can agree that his was not really a helpful analysis of the statistic.

I think it was intended to be humorous.

indeed

I know what we CAN assume from those numbers. There are a larger percent of racist white people voting for Hillary than there are for Obama.

indeed

I know what we CAN assume from those numbers. There are a larger percent of racist white people voting for Hillary than there are for Obama.

well, all things being equal this is at least an arguable point.

so you admit there are no policy differences between Obama and Hillary, i.e. no other way to explain the apparent discrepency other than race?

so you admit there are no policy differences between Obama and Hillary, i.e. no other way to explain the apparent discrepency other than race?

Of course there is a difference besides race.

A politician needs to be likeable and trustworthy.....to many people, Hillary is neither.

indeed

There are certainly no policy differences between the two sufficient to justify a vote for McCain if one's favorite doesn't get the nomination.

Of course there is a difference besides race.

A politician needs to be likeable and trustworthy.....to many people, Hillary is neither.

and to many people Obama isn't either. he is -- to some people -- a political debutant with questionable national security bona fides (among other things). hence the non-racist Hillary voters that will support McCain in the event of an Obama nomination.

indeed

There are certainly no policy differences between the two sufficient to justify a vote for McCain if one's favorite doesn't get the nomination.

exactly, which qualifies the titling of those swaying from Hillary towards McCain as racists or complete idiots, which is redundant.

indeed

I agree. and policy is only one factor. race is probably a bigger factor than policy, but also only one of many factors that would cause a supporter of one of the Dem candidates to support McCain should their favorite not win.

exactly, which qualifies the titling of those swaying from Hillary towards McCain as racists or complete idiots, which is redundant.

no dude it doesn't necessarily qualify them as either.

indeed

I agree. and policy is only one factor. race is probably a bigger factor than policy, but also only one of many factors that would cause a supporter of one of the Dem candidates to support McCain should their favorite not win.

so splain me this...other than being a Republican or a racist, what would cause one to vote for a guy that abolished MLK day in the state he governed?

I'll agree that it doesn't necessarily establish that somebody is a racist--but it does clearly demonstrate that they're a complete idiot. These swing voters are, unfortunately, the people that decide elections.

Let's make one thing clear....not liking/voting for Obama does not make you a racist.....not liking/voting for Hillary does not make you a chauvinist... not liking/voting for McCain doesn't make you unpatriotic.

I've heard/seen all three and they are all BS.

Let's make one thing clear....not liking/voting for Obama does not make you a racist.....not liking/voting for Hillary does not make you a chauvinist... not liking/voting for McCain doesn't make you unpatriotic.

Rock-a-logic!

so splain me this...other than being a Republican or a racist, what would cause one to vote for a guy that abolished MLK day in the state he governed?

I would say that choosing a President solely based on a MLK holiday makes you an idiot.

I'll agree that it doesn't necessarily establish that somebody is a racist--but it does clearly demonstrate that they're a complete idiot. These swing voters are, unfortunately, the people that decide elections.

They're definitely not all racists but I'm sure more than a couple ARE. (that redundant comment was more humor)

you can't tell me there's no Hillary supporters out there that would rather have a white man than a black man in office. I'm sorry

I know I make it out to sound like it's this big kkk exodus over to McCains side, and I know it's nothing like that at all but I DO think racism plays into it at least a bit.

I would say that choosing a President solely based on a MLK holiday makes you an idiot.

haha true true. but that's just one point...I can't see anyone who is for any type of forward movement in this country supporting that douchebag.

My choice isn't based on that anyways, I'm not even a republican, and I sure as fuck wouldn't vote for him if Hillary got the nom.

They're definitely not all racists but I'm sure more than a couple ARE. (that redundant comment was more humor)

you can't tell me there's no Hillary supporters out there that would rather have a white man than a black man in office. I'm sorry

I know I make it out to sound like it's this big kkk exodus over to McCains side, and I know it's nothing like that at all but I DO think racism plays into it at least a bit.

Absolutely agree. In fact, I'd say racism is the chief reason why Hillary has enough support to still be in the race at all; by any objective standard, she's established herself as a vastly inferior candidate.

dude LOTS of reasons. and they don't have anything to do with MLK day.

not every Dem thinks he'd be a good president. at all. and they're not all racists. (I know, shocking).

if you don't believe there are non-racist Dems who don't what Obama to be President, then we don't have much to talk about. because I do beleive these people exist. I believe it becauase I know these people. I disagree with them but I know they exist.

if you don't beleive it, it's just a point on which we're gonna have to disagree I guess. which is fine, but let's establish whether this conversation is really worth pursuing for either of us.

okay edit I read your post above and we essentially agree. racism plays a big role but is not the only explanation.

going to lunch.

going to lunch.

Okay.

We'll try to keep ourselves entertained in your absence.

Please inform the board upon your return.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    SNACKING AT CITARELLA MOVES

SNACKING [ON SWORDFISH SANDWICHES] AT CITARELLA MOVES