DOES ANYBODY GET PAID WELL ON HERE????

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    No matter how much $$$ you make, you're always wishing you could make more. Even somebody as rich as Oprah Winfrey probably wonders how she can increase her cash flow.

Truly.

My dad worked in a chemical factory for a multi-millionaire. One day he went into the office and broke all the pencils and erasers in half because he said the staff were getting through them too quickly. Dude was 60+, he could have retired years ago.

Dude commuted more than 100 miles each way and was always in for 6AM.

Dickhead. Life is too short.

yeah what a dick for building a business and giving all those people like your dad a job.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    No matter how much $$$ you make, you're always wishing you could make more. Even somebody as rich as Oprah Winfrey probably wonders how she can increase her cash flow.

Truly.

My dad worked in a chemical factory for a multi-millionaire. One day he went into the office and broke all the pencils and erasers in half because he said the staff were getting through them too quickly. Dude was 60+, he could have retired years ago.

yeah what a dick for building a business and giving all those people like your dad a job.

Breaking all the pencils was a bit of a dick move. Not quite sure how you break an eraser in half, though.

• It's a $$ amount in the end.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Truly.

...and breaking all the pencils and erasers in half.

Imagine the big boss coming in your office and smashing all the computers with a hammer and you'll see how ridiculous that is.

Truly.

Breaking all the pencils was a bit of a dick move. Not quite sure how you break an eraser in half, though.

he prolly bit them in half

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    Imagine the big boss coming in your office and smashing all the computers with a hammer and you'll see how ridiculous that is.

Sweet! NO WORK!!!

see you suckers at the bar...

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I must say this is a good read since I'm going to an interview in about 30 minutes. Out of curiosity, did any of you remotely envision yourself being where you were at now when you were in your early twenties? I have some office job experience and a bare minimum degree with intentions on taking whatever community college classes seem useful, but sometimes thinking about what exactly I'm going to be doing and living in 5-10 years overwhelms the hell out me. Any input on this?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    All year I think I'm underpaid.

Except on April 15th.

when i was in my early twenties, i thought that if i could one day make 30,000 a year i would be a high-roller. I also worked the graveyard shift in a diner.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I must say this is a good read since I'm going to an interview in about 30 minutes. Out of curiosity, did any of you remotely envision yourself being where you were at now when you were in your early twenties? I have some office job experience and a bare minimum degree with intentions on taking whatever community college classes seem useful, but sometimes thinking about what exactly I'm going to be doing and living in 5-10 years overwhelms the hell out me. Any input on this?

yes: the best laid schemes of mice an men gang aft agley

did any of you remotely envision yourself being where you were at now

no. i was smoking a blunt when i thought of the idea to take this job "opprotunity". that was 4 and a half years ago. hahahahaha.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts

Truly.

I think being a multi-millionaire and having fuck-all better to do with your time at 60+ years old than to get up at ridicuous-o'clock to commute 100 miles to a flea-pit town to count how many pencils and erasers people use all day qualifies him as a dickhead.

I can send you some pencils if you need the practice.

• I just turned 30, have a pretty nice job but Im still wondering how long I want to continue to do this or what I really want to do. Im not sure I will ever find out. Maybe its just cuz the grass is always greener... or something.

Personally, I dont hope money will ever be my first priority as far as jobs goes except I if dont have for the rent etc.

Peace,

Dress

Consider what sorts of things you wouldn't mind doing in the abstract. Pick a direction that could evolve into several of those things. Start moving in that direction, keeping your mind open to the opportunities that present themselves. And before you know it, you'll probably be doing something you derive some enjoyment from, although you might not even know quite how you got there.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

I think being a multi-millionaire and having fuck-all better to do with your time at 60+ years old than to get up at ridicuous-o'clock to commute 100 miles to a flea-pit town to count how many pencils and erasers people use all day qualifies him as a dickhead.

I can send you some pencils if you need the practice.

LOL, I think he's quite alright for pencils. Just make sure he's got plenty of rubbers.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I recently went from making about 60 a year to less than 15, and I've gotta say I'm much happier for it. I'm freelancing and taking on only clients I dig, versus being some no talent corporate middle class/age rich fucks design monkey.

Money isn't everything man. I paint. I restore furniture for a modest profit. I make alot of music that no one will probably ever be bothered to listen to. I hand print fabrics & wallpaper in an era where no-one cares to.

My advice to EVERYONE is to find your happiness, and let the money roll in (or not) from there. Fair enough, some weeks I'm living on united nations style rations, but I'm healthy and happy and doing what I love, when I want to, every day.

This is the kinda advice I like to hear. Though I don't know how you live on 15k/year. And are you bothering with health insurance?

• when i was in my early twenties, i thought that if i could one day make 30,000 a year i would be a high-roller. I also worked the graveyard shift in a diner.

I remember being in my early twenties and getting a full-time office job in which I made (drum roll) TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS A YEAR.

I wanted to call someone; I felt like I'd arrived.

when i was in my early twenties, i thought that if i could one day make 30,000 a year i would be a high-roller. I also worked the graveyard shift in a diner.

I remember being in my early twenties and getting a full-time office job in which I made (drum roll) TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS A YEAR.

I wanted to call someone; I felt like I'd arrived.

my first office job was 18K a year.

easy street. but then again, the last time i visited my folks before they moved to florida, my dad had just bought a new buick and he said that he had paid more for the car than he did for the house. He bought the house in 1960 and the car in 1997.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

If you told me that I would be doing what I'm doing today when I was in my twenties I would have said GTFOOHWTBS.

Here are my life's experience tips on being happy & successful.

1) Do something you enjoy. If you like what you're doing you'll do it well and never feel like you have a "job". I tell the folks that work for me "If you wake up in the morning and dread coming to work, don't. If it happens three days in a row go find a new job".

2) If you don't work for yourself approach your job as if you do. Make decisions and efforts as if you own the company. As long as you're not an idiot this will be recognized and you'll go far.

3) Never work more than 40 hours a week without extra compensation. If it takes you 60 or 80 hours to do your job it's because 1) You suck at your job or 2)Your company is understaffed. Only time you should put in more than 40 hours without extra compensation is if you work for yourself and are building a business for the future.

4) Whenever you can "Work smart, not hard".

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    You can't face beginning a career as a lawyer without contemplating work/life balance issues. On the hand, every articling student at a major Toronto firm makes at least $75K, but we're expected to work insane hours. As a first/second year associate, you can reasonably expect to make $80-100K plus bonuses (and barring any massive economic downturn), but you're obliged to bill 1750 hours, which involves at least 3500 hours of work (because you can't bill for everything), and so you're putting in 70 hour weeks for that money. Is it worth it? Ask me in four years.

Meanwhile, I could go to NYC, bill 2200 hours, and make twice that money until I burn out. My shoes aren't white enough for Sab's world.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    did any of you remotely envision yourself being where you were at now

I never dreamt of being rich and my dream job has always been whatever is challenging and productive - I've been lucky about half the time with that. I do the lottery daydream now and then, but it's mostly comprised of how I would split it up amongst my family and what amazing gifts I would get friends - home recording studios! mortages paid-off! student loans wiped out!

It's not the general rule, but once I was out of university, the most stressful, soul-crushing and mind-numbing jobs I had were the best-paying ones. And that's how it should be - people should be compensated properly by things that really take away from quality of life. Unfortunately, this isn't applied to all labour.

Growing up and as a working adult - I've had a taste of counting every penny and being comfortable enough to do/buy the things I want. The stress of living hand-to-mouth, worrying about rent and not being able to save for old age or an emergency is the worst part imo, not the inability to buy everything that catches your fancy.

My parents never acted like it was the most important thing in the world and I think that's had an influence on me. They are very much the same people now, living very well, as they were when my dad delivered pizza after being laid off; not being defined by how much you make or what you got.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I don't make heaps of money. But I love my job. And the people around me every day are great. I use to make more money doing record shit back in the day, but there was a shit load of stress. Way more than now anyways.

And to be honest. It's all about the benefits for me at my job. Even down to I (Or any dependents) can get University education for free. I just wish I had time to go for a masters or something. But when they sat me down to go thru the benefits package, I knew my happiness level and stress level was going change. The salary is not everything in a job...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

3) Never work more than 40 hours a week without extra compensation. If it takes you 60 or 80 hours to do your job it's because 1) You suck at your job or 2)Your company is understaffed. Only time you should put in more than 40 hours without extra compensation is if you work for yourself and are building a business for the future.

Also, when you work more than 40 hours a week without extra compensation...you fuck up the game for the rest of us who don't wish to be held to a similar expectation.

Seriously, cut that shit out.

4) Whenever you can "Work smart, not hard".

Or what i like to say: WHAT WOULD COSTANZA DO[/b]

Also, when you work more than 40 hours a week without extra compensation...you fuck up the game for the rest of us who don't wish to be held to a similar expectation.

Seriously, cut that shit out.

REAL TALK. A woman I work with gets paid for 40, but really clocks about 55-60 a week. She freely admits that she has no life and few friends, but she's 26, and has already made middle management. I'll take the friends, the life, and a more shallow career trajectory.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    fu manchu by desmond dekker

it make no sense at all to say where you used to work
    it make no sense at all to say how much you used to earn
    it make no sense at all to say what you used to do

this is the face of fu manchu..

is not what you earn that make you a man but is what u keep that make you a man

HOPE THIS HELPS
    not sure what the hell it means though...

fu manchu by desmond dekker

it make no sense at all to say where you used to work

is not what you earn that make you a man but is what u keep that make you a man

HOPE THIS HELPS
    not sure what the hell it means though...

That's the dude from Lost, right? Buddhism rocks.

2) If you don't work for yourself approach your job as if you do. Make decisions and efforts as if you own the company. As long as you're not an idiot this will be recognized and you'll go far.

excellent advice.

You can't face beginning a career as a lawyer without contemplating work/life balance issues. On the hand, every articling student at a major Toronto firm makes at least $75K, but we're expected to work insane hours. As a first/second year associate, you can reasonably expect to make $80-100K plus bonuses (and barring any massive economic downturn), but you're obliged to bill 1750 hours, which involves at least 3500 hours of work (because you can't bill for everything), and so you're putting in 70 hour weeks for that money. Is it worth it? Ask me in four years.

Meanwhile, I could go to NYC, bill 2200 hours, and make twice that money until I burn out. My shoes aren't white enough for Sab's world.

gotta pay to play.

gotta pay to play.

Depends what you're playing.