AP headline: wtf? (Obama/Hillary related)

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

*sigh* I was hoping we could talk about this as adults. I actually consider her remarks to be suspect.

but if you have to make it a me-vs-you issue, fine then: Obama to bomb Pakistan

BTW this is a pretty egregious example of the type of shoddy journalism we've been discussing in this thread.

Here's the quote: ABC News' Chris Cuomo asked Clinton what she would do if Iran attacked Israel with nuclear weapons. "I want the Iranians to know that if I'm the president, we will attack Iran," Clinton said. "In the next 10 years, during which they might foolishly consider launching an attack on Israel, we would be able to totally obliterate them."

Here's the headline: Clinton on Iran Attack: 'Obliterate Them'[/b]

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts

"During one of the most difficult periods in the presidency of Bill Clinton, he addressed a group of clerics at an annual prayer breakfast in September 1998 just as the Starr report outlining his dalliance with Monica Lewinsky was about to be published.

Among those in attendance, was the Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr., who is seen shaking hands with Mr. Clinton in a photograph provided today by the Obama campaign. Mr. Wright???s relationship with Senator Barack Obama, as his longtime pastor, has been the subject of considerable controversy in recent days because of incendiary excerpts of sermons Mr. Wright gave at their church, Trinity United Church of Christ, in Chicago."

source: http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/20/photograph-of-bill-clinton-and-rev-wright-surfaces/

While I do find all the mud slinging ridiculous, this is kind of funny.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    BTW this is a pretty egregious example of the type of shoddy journalism we've been discussing in this thread.

Agreed, shits a little slimey. She shoulda stuck to her hypotheticals rule.

Regardless that kind of gotcha shit, like the debate questions, are exactly how she's been running her whole campaign for a minute now.

You dont thinks she set the tone for this kind of shit once her charmed campaign hit the wall in iowa?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

*sigh* I was hoping we could talk about this as adults. I actually consider her remarks to be suspect.

but if you have to make it a me-vs-you issue, fine then: Obama to bomb Pakistan

The word "bomb" is nowhere in that article, much less "obliterate."

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    Clinton supporters, please explain this utter bullshit:

???I want the Iranians to know that if I???m the president we will attack Iran,??? Clinton said. ???In the next ten years, during which they might foolishly consider launching an attack on Israel, we would be able to totally obliterate them.???

Did you deliberately omit the fact that her response was to a hypothetical question that would never happen? she was asked what she would do if iran attacked israel with nuclear weapons.

go check the stats on israel's military compared to iran's. talk about showing up to a gunfight with a switchblade. moreover, its not even a controversial response. ask obama the same question and you'll get the same answer, albeit, perhaps without the "obliterate" terminology.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Here's the quote: ABC News' Chris Cuomo asked Clinton what she would do if Iran attacked Israel with nuclear weapons. "I want the Iranians to know that if I'm the president, we will attack Iran," Clinton said. "In the next 10 years, during which they might foolishly consider launching an attack on Israel, we would be able to totally obliterate them."

That IS a stupid question, but I was responding directly to your disbelief that Hillary actually said those things. I mean, the disbelief that I now see that you edited and replaced with graemlins.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    btw, is the bullsh*t in this thread what the average SS voter is thinking about going into the polling booth????

iraq war, economic recession, global warming crisis....and you fools are taking the time to post a letter from bill clinton to jeremiah wright from ten years ago. how is that even relevant to the obama non-story related to wright??

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

???I want the Iranians to know that if I???m the president we will attack Iran,??? Clinton said. ???In the next ten years, during which they might foolishly consider launching an attack on Israel, we would be able to totally obliterate them.???

Did you deliberately omit the fact that her response was to a hypothetical question that would never happen? she was asked what she would do if iran attacked israel with nuclear weapons.

go check the stats on israel's military compared to iran's. talk about showing up to a gunfight with a switchblade. moreover, its not even a controversial response. ask obama the same question and you'll get the same answer, albeit, perhaps without the "obliterate" terminology.

You are such a f.ucking cornball. No candidate in their right mind answers hypotheticals with concrete replies, like "We WILL..." The hypothetical portion of her answer only speaks to the extent of how grave the attack WILL be.

And to be honest, I couldn't care less about the safety of Israel. If the safety of a foreign nation means more than the state of the nation that you live in, then you may need to find yourself a new country to call home.

Lemme guess, I'm an anti-semite now?

You are such a f.ucking cornball. No candidate in their right mind answers hypotheticals with concrete replies, like "We WILL..." The hypothetical portion of her answer only speaks to the extent of how grave the attack WILL be.

And to be honest, I couldn't care less about the safety of Israel. If the safety of a foreign nation means more than the state of the nation that you live in, then you may need to find yourself a new country to call home.

that doesn't change KVH's point that Hillary's response was not a controversial one.

the US's position in the event of an attack on Taiwan or S. Korea is the same.

I personally couldn't care less that you couldn't care less about the safety of Israel. but countries form alliances; they've been doing it forever. if you don't want the US to stick up for its allies then vote for Buchanan.

That IS a stupid question, but I was responding directly to your disbelief that Hillary actually said those things. I mean, the disbelief that I now see that you edited and replaced with graemlins.

haha I'll be honest I wasn't sure about the quote at first. the only "sources" I could find were message boards quoting the ABC article. then I found the ABC article.

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    btw, is the bullsh*t in this thread what the average SS voter is thinking about going into the polling booth????

iraq war, economic recession, global warming crisis....and you fools are taking the time to post a letter from bill clinton to jeremiah wright from ten years ago. how is that even relevant to the obama non-story related to wright??

Well, I can only speak for myself, but it's certainly not what I'm thinking about when I go into the polling booth. I'm also not deluded enough to believe that a politician can resolve issues like conflict in the Middle East, economic recession, or global warming.

I took 30 seconds to post that story because I thought it was funny... like I said in the post.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    How come no one is talking about this ridiculous shit?

...after weeks of trying to position themselves as Friends of the Everyman Voter, Drinkers of Local Beers and Shots, and Bowlers of Strikes, both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama will make one last pitch to Pennsylvania voters with appearances on Monday's broadcast of WWE's Raw.[/b]
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/TheNote/story?id=3105455&page=1

This whole election is one big joke.

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    How come no one is talking about this ridiculous shit?

...after weeks of trying to position themselves as Friends of the Everyman Voter, Drinkers of Local Beers and Shots, and Bowlers of Strikes, both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama will make one last pitch to Pennsylvania voters with appearances on Monday's broadcast of WWE's Raw.[/b]
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/TheNote/story?id=3105455&page=1

This whole election is one big joke.

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts

Clips from all three of them.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

That's a tough call... I mean Barack's name pun was better, but Hillary's power scarf shows a great sense of resolve.

What was with McCain not being able to pronounce Barack's name?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I believe he was actually asked that question during the debate.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Wow! That wwf shizzle was mad stupid.

Did you ever notice that Clinton refuses to wear a lapel pin. I wonder why? Did you know that she once traveled to India, the 2nd largest Muslim nation in the world. Why doesn't she ever say "God bless America"?

Anyone who thinks that President Obama wouldn't obliterate Iran in response to a nuclear attack on Israel has another think coming.

Dr Wu was saying that Obama should have started negative attacks on Clinton 2 weeks ago. Wrong. He looks more presidential staying above the fray, plus he started them today, no real time for her to respond before people vote.

ABC not George Stephanopolis is to blame for the lame debate. Not that Georgies hands are clean.

Remember, this does not end until May 20th, when I vote.

I am predicting (just for fun) a 4-6% Clinton win. I am hoping for a an Obama win.

I predict that John Edwards will make an endorsement and pledge his candidates before NC votes.

Here is a strange thing. Puerto Rico votes right after I do. They have more delegates to the DNC than Oregon. They do not get to vote in November. Who will win PR? Large Hispanic vote, large Black vote, close ties to NY, large Catholic vote, large youth vote.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Clinton wins Puerto Rico...

An Edwards endorsement is big. His wife has been taking McCain to task on his healthcare plan.

The far more controversial statement by Clinton was that we should expand our ring of protection to include other countries in the middle east.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

An Edwards endorsement is big. His wife has been taking McCain to task on his healthcare plan.

The far more controversial statement by Clinton was that we should expand our ring of protection to include other countries in the middle east.

taking to task? He gets healthcare because his family for four generations has served in the military. And as he pointed out, he didnt receive healthc care his whole life - those four years as a POW he didnt receive any.

Hey whats going on in Chicago?!?! How many people got shot last weekend? Its starting to sound like Mosul. The only difference is that one has crazy preachers and the other is in the middle east.

It's too bad there isn't some powerful politician who has served the Chicago area and brought them Change and Hope. If there was, we could blame him for the "complete failure" to achieve those political benchmarks and reduce sectarian strife.

* i didnt actually make those jokes up, but theyre funny cause theyre true.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

Yeah, that's a perfect example of the kind of headline I wish we were talking about in this thread.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

An Edwards endorsement is big. His wife has been taking McCain to task on his healthcare plan.[/b]

taking to task? He gets healthcare because his family for four generations has served in the military. And as he pointed out, he didnt receive healthc care his whole life - those four years as a POW he didnt receive any.

Read first, respond second.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Hey whats going on in Chicago?!?! How many people got shot last weekend? Its starting to sound like Mosul.

If the Bulls were in the Playoffs I would boycott their games....and run out to mid-court and try to interrupt the opening tip-off.

But seriously....32 shot.....but it's not their fault.

• Anyone catch her on Olbermann last night? When he asked her about cozying up to Richard Mellon Scaife she just started laughing in a really inappropriate way and then suggested that Scaife had experienced some kind of deathbead conversion, neglecting of course the fact that he is still alive...

i think we should strategically redeploy the chicago police force to des moines.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I think we should strategically redeploy sabadabada to the west side of Chicago. He clearly has the solutions.

I think we should strategically redeploy sabadabada to the west side of Chicago. He clearly has the solutions.

leave me alone and let me eat my waffle.