AP headline: wtf? (Obama/Hillary related)

Comments

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    not at the watercooler (we don't even have one), but i've heard many call-in shows where conservative folks will take michelle's statements about not being proud of the country until now with barack's position on the superficiality of lapel pins to make the argument that the obamas are unpatriotic.

• Has a single person here spoken to, in person, ANYONE NOT IN THE MEDIA who thinks the lapel pin thang is an issue??

Seriously, what the hell kind of "water cooler" do you guys hang out around??

Actually, yes. My wife and I have both gotten e-mails forwarded to us by relatives and the wife of an ex-coworker pushing all of this insane crap.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Has a single person here spoken to, in person, ANYONE NOT IN THE MEDIA who thinks the lapel pin thang is an issue??

Actually, yes. My wife and I have both gotten e-mails forwarded to us by relatives and the wife of an ex-coworker pushing all of this insane crap.

Plaese to post this comedy.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    he was frustrated that he couldn't talk bread-n-butter issues.

how do you know this?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    How don't you know it?

He's dedicated a fair amount of time since the debates to deriding the frivolous choice of questions; not to mention how visibly frustrated he was during the debate. I didn't get that from a secret lead or mere conjecture... it's pretty much by his own admission.

not to mention how visibly frustrated he was during the debate.

I think it's cute that you attribute his visible frustration at the debate to his somehow being "above" the tenor of the questions. maybe he's just a bad debater.

in any case he knew what he was getting into and showed up unprepared. that's why he got served.

I wasn't trying to be cute (but thanks for the compliment ).

Anyone with half a brain is "above the tenor of the questions". Most pundits and commentators thought the same thing, and he's certainly said that himself.

Unfortunately, I don't think your candidate faired particularly well in the debate either, despite trying her best to "smear the queer" as it were.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I predict a 5-6 pt loss for Obama, which is a damn good look!

So it turns out the SurveyUSA that was showing 18pt leads for HRC should have no business doing polls, period.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/04/its-turnout-stupid.html

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    It's called honesty....I know that's hard to comprehend coming from a politician.

especially one that lies all the time like him.

• I'm far from a political dude but did watch the debate and could only be reminded of this when the flag pin question arose:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LZrVPFE9XA

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I think it's cute that you attribute his visible frustration at the debate to his somehow being "above" the tenor of the questions. maybe he's just a bad debater.

in any case he knew what he was getting into and showed up unprepared. that's why he got served.

LOL--he didn't get served.

Your girl pretty much immolated herself--it's beyond me to understand how anybody could vote for her after that performance.

not at the watercooler (we don't even have one), but i've heard many call-in shows where conservative folks will take michelle's statements about not being proud of the country until now with barack's position on the superficiality of lapel pins to make the argument that the obamas are unpatriotic.

yea. its crazy how the nuance of the Obama's higher form of patriotism escapes those redneck fucktards.

yea. its crazy how the nuance of the Obama's higher form of patriotism escapes those redneck fucktards.

Free thought and a rejection of jingoism actually are American ideals, adherence to which actually is a higher form of patriotism.

There was an oped in the NYT a few days ago where David Brooks was going on and on about how the last debate showed that Obama was done, tired, over with and all but dead in the race. It was typical of the kind of intellectually dishonest, self-fulfilling hoodoo that the talking heads have been peddling.
    I mean, Stephanopolous and that lapel pin bullshit? What the f*cking F*CK?

hey. speaking of intellectually dishonest, self-fulfilling hoodoo, isnt it time for a new Iraq update?

"smear the queer"

dude.

people need to stop whining about the debate. it wasn't that bad.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The Brooks' article is significant in that he has been a (closet) Obama supporter this spring. I think what he was signaling is that the beltway bloom is off for Obama which is fine since I don't know how sincere ii was going be anyway. Obama is finally realizing that he has to define Hillary with negative advertising if he wants to knock her out of the race. I wish he had started this two weeks ago. I sure that this won't sit well with Rockadelic independents but I think they will still choose Obama over McCain.

In other news Hillary has very little money left in the tank 9 mil and Barack has 42mil. Watch for big wins in NC and smaller one in Indiana.

LOL--he didn't get served.

Your girl pretty much immolated herself--it's beyond me to understand how anybody could vote for her after that performance.

no doubt it is.

"smear the queer"

dude.

The debate was an insult to my intelligence and a waste of my time. Perhaps you found it edifying or at least entertaining; I'm at least glad to know my opinion is widely shared.

As far as "smear the queer" goes... as a game we all used to play where the "queer" - ie the odd man out, the strange, the different, the communist, the fag - gets piled on by everyone else on the playing field whenever he's holding the ball.... I think the analogy is apt. (pats self on the back)

"smear the queer"

dude.

The debate was an insult to my intelligence and a waste of my time. Perhaps you found it edifying or at least entertaining; I'm at least glad to know my opinion is widely shared.

As far as "smear the queer" goes... as a game we all used to play where the "queer" - ie the odd man out, the strange, the different, the communist, the fag - gets piled on by everyone else on the playing field whenever he's holding the ball.... I think the analogy is apt. (pats self on the back)

your suggestion that Obama is a "communist" is baseless and offensive.

and no I didn't find the stupid debate in the least bit edifying.

these things are almost always a waste of time, and insulting to the intelligence of the informed viewer. It's just a little suspect that it took a less-than-stellar performance on Obama's part for his partisans to suddently realize this.

"smear the queer"

dude.

your suggestion that Obama is a "communist" is baseless and offensive.

and no I didn't find the stupid debate in the least bit edifying.

these things are almost always a waste of time, and insulting to the intelligence of the informed viewer. It's just a little suspect that it took a less-than-stellar performance on Obama's part for his partisans to suddently realize this.

Dude - Bill Frickin' Kristol called him a communist (and a fake Christian) in the New York Times! Maybe you have trouble following analogies but I was referring to slurs that have been leveled at him by the conservative media (and, more recently, by Hillary Clinton).

I'm no big fan of televised debates, but this one was surely less substantive than previous ones: the constant interruption for commercial breaks (which is the real reason the hosts got booed towards the end), the inane questions ("would both of you agree to be on the other's ticket? don't answer at once", "does Jeremiah Wright love America as much as you?"), the sheer disconnectedness ("a middle class family making $200,000 a year..."). It was certainly the worst look for the media yet, in a campaign season that has been filled with many bad ones. I don't expect you to hang on my every word but I do expect you to read my posts if you're gonna argue with me. I've already said that Obama performed poorly and that I didn't think the questions were particularly harsh on him.

if by "harsh" you mean he couldnt answer them, than yes they were harsh.

the sheer disconnectedness ("a middle class family making $200,000 a year...").

Yes, all the mooning about the beleaguered middle class family who makes $250K or less and would be driven into the poorhouse by a tax increase was bizarre.

Dude - Bill Frickin' Kristol called him a communist (and a fake Christian) in the New York Times! Maybe you have trouble following analogies but I was referring to slurs that have been leveled at him by the conservative media (and, more recently, by Hillary Clinton).

dude that part was a joke.

I'm no big fan of televised debates, but this one was surely less substantive than previous ones

opinion. the article I posted makes a strong case the other way. the dumbest question in this particular debate may have very well been the dumbest of all the dumb questions from all the debates, but that by no means indicates that this was overall the dumbest debate. the substantive/non-substanitve question breakdown from the article I posted is worth your looking at.

and dude I read your posts. and what I said is fully in line with what you wrote (that Obama performed not so great). my point was it's hilarious that it took what is by all accounts Obama's worst debate showing for the board to erupt into "these-debates-are-an-insult-to-my-intelligence" indignation. it's suspect.

now if you think the debate was truly the least substantive (which you seem to), fine. but the point is at least debatable (ha), and if you view this debate as just another dumb debate in a line of more-or-less equally dumb debates (as I do), then y'all's whining about this one in particular would seem to derive mostly from Obama's poor showing in it.

Yeah I guess I would say that this was a particularly dumb debate, crashing and burning after a downward spiral over the course of the season.

It wasn't just about Obama though - the questions about Bosnia were dumb too.

I read that Politico article a few days ago and I thought it, too, was fluff - the press has been lightest of all on itself. I tend to agree more with Frank Rich which is not often the case. The substantive questions Politico points to barely scratched the surface, and most of them had been asked - and answered - previously.

ABC's lame defense has been "well, they weren't asked since the last debate".

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    politico is fox news light. don't know why that site is even being referenced.

• Has a single person here spoken to, in person, ANYONE NOT IN THE MEDIA who thinks the lapel pin thang is an issue??

Plaese to post this comedy.

All long since deleted in disgust. I'm sure there'll be more...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Clinton supporters, please explain this utter bullshit:

???I want the Iranians to know that if I???m the president we will attack Iran,??? Clinton said. ???In the next ten years, during which they might foolishly consider launching an attack on Israel, we would be able to totally obliterate them.???

A. does she not know about term limitations for the office of POTUS?
    B. Obliterate "them"? Iranians? Like genocide?
    C. "we WILL attack Iran" oh really?
    D. Who is this strong arm talk for? Does she think that she'll get the hawks with this?

More thoughts but I'll hold on them.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    This is about remarkably[/b] shoddy journalism

This whole race has been marked by warped press coverage, especially a pack of inside the beltway weasels who still don't understand that they're supposed to be reporting the news, not making it.