What's YOUR "style"?

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

i used to rock that look in the late 80s ealry 90s, i used Murrays to slick back my hair that could never wash out, and wore vintage Hickey Freeman suits - short jackets and pegged trousers about an inch too short (nobody was making three button or flat front suits), wingtips or loafers, Earnst and Rooster ties with the straight-cut bottoms in batique prints for summer. Monogrammed cuff-links. I think people had a hard time figuring it out, because the shit was all perfect condition and really nice stuff, but it definately wasnt the style of the times, as Granpa Simpson would say.

i should have excluded the pat riley haircut though, that is def not my style (buzzed to a #1). but, i gotta give it up to you on the wardrobe, especially for back in the late 80s, when big shoulder pads and baggy aramani suits were the trend.

co-sign on shorter jackets, but strictly 2 button, and flant front pants with no to little break. i also have a few vintage rooster ties that are about 2.5" in width.

do you still wear this stuff?

I actually have this guy in the suburbs that has a mens store thats been in his family for three generations, he is in his 70's. He has tons of dead-stock vintage suits all with the tags on them and pants unhemmed. I just bought a new suit for my summer associateship that is rustbrownish, with a faint gold pinstrip in that stiff 60s wool rayon blend by Haspel. Its a two button, but thin lapels and very slick. I will probably buy a few more suits from him this summer while they are still around and some sport jackets just because they are just a little unique. The style is actually very conservative, its just the way a conservative would dress 50 years ago.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    I'm going through this huge waste not want not thing where I want to sell or give away anything I don't use or need. When it comes to clothes, between my mom and I we literally have mountains of vintage clothing that doesn't fit or we will never wear. I think there is a few dollars to be made but I have some other ideas for at least some of this stuff.

we sound like the same person. except change "mom" with "sister".

i went through one of her 4 closets with her the other night and helped her get rid of some shit she never wears. im still the process. i have two full-sized closets of strictly hang-up stuff (aka, not including my pants or t-shirts) and they are still both completely full even after getting rid of everything i didnt want anymore. at any given time my apartment has huuuuge piles of clothing that i need to go through. the funny thing is i dont really wear shirts with stuff on them anymore, but i still buy them all the time if theyre cool enough.

des moines is a thrifter's dream. at the salvation army today my cart was FULL of amazing old stuff. luckily i narrowed it down to about 12 must-have items and almost all of them were today's sale items.

clothing shopping for me is about 500 times more addictive than record shopping at this point.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    My style is still primarily anything that fits...luckily I've found a couple of stores that stock vintage 50's, 'billy etc that goes to XXXL. Unheard of in the UK, so I'm stoked to have 'em on my doorstep in LA.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

des moines is a thrifter's dream. at the salvation army today my cart was FULL of amazing old stuff. luckily i narrowed it down to about 12 must-have items and almost all of them were today's sale items.

You are lucky, the thriftstores around these parts are garbage, loaded to the gills
    with Old Navy and stuff like that. And they think anything "vintage" is worth money
    and price it accordingly, wool Pendletons for $14.99. Sucks.
    I still find stuff, but like the record game, it ain't what it used to be in the late 80's/early 90's.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    I use to feel this way too but then I started driving further outside the city on day trips and found there are still plenty of old towns with old people, old things and old prices.

It is more or less the same as diggin' though. Being at the right place at the right time. Following your gut. My parents were antique dealers and scavengers during the 80's and early 90's it will be forever of interest to me, the hunting is is the best part.

I thank goodness for the bit of knowledge I have gained about old glass, toys and furniture. Just recently I scored a good size part of some nice Franciscan Ware and only knew about it because of what my parent were doing 20 years ago. Still the value doesn't mean much to me, I use it everyday and love that I got it cheap. All about the Cal. pottery as well. I wish I could limit it just to clothes, but I can't.

But that is the thing. This house is filled with so many things that could be sold, traded or made into $$ or things that will help make new things. I don't need to buy anything else. Handbags, shoes and belts are still an issue. But I am being way way more conservative and picky about condition and value, based in large part on my experience with records. I pass on stuff 80% of the time and rarely feel like I messed up especially when I put it into context with all the stuff we have that doesn't get used.

and really when it comes to style the most important thing is that it makes you feel good...like a million bucks. If its doesn't do that, it isn't worth holding on too
    ( unless you are going to tailor it to be perfect ) if you know you never will, let it go so someone else can.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I use to feel this way too but then I started driving further outside the city on day trips and found there are still plenty of old towns with old people, old things and old prices.

Yeah getting out to the sticks certainly helps, but I've seen Ebayitis and Antique's Roadshow Effect
    out their too.

I thank goodness for the bit of knowledge I have gained about old glass, toys and furniture. Just recently I scored a good size part of some nice Franciscan Ware and only knew about it because of what my parent were doing 20 years ago. Still the value doesn't mean much to me, I use it everyday and love that I got it cheap. All about the Cal. pottery as well. I wish I could limit it just to clothes, but I can't.

We use my grandma's Franciscan Desert Rose dishes everyday.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    white jeans, white reeboks, tennis socks, pink or yellow neon shirt and a spiked helmet. that's my digging costume. makes me look like someone who doesn't know anything about records. YEAH, like that was true. AHAHA...

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

I actually have this guy in the suburbs that has a mens store thats been in his family for three generations, he is in his 70's. He has tons of dead-stock vintage suits all with the tags on them and pants unhemmed. I just bought a new suit for my summer associateship that is rustbrownish, with a faint gold pinstrip in that stiff 60s wool rayon blend by Haspel. Its a two button, but thin lapels and very slick. I will probably buy a few more suits from him this summer while they are still around and some sport jackets just because they are just a little unique. The style is actually very conservative, its just the way a conservative would dress 50 years ago.

That is so sweet! Pick some of that goodness up for me. I'm a 38 regular.

I wouldn't have thought distinctive style was accepted at the white shoes. Post photos, please.

• Options
    As dude bopped me earlier in this thread vintage World Industries shirts has been my new fashion addiction lately. Which sucks because they catch mad bones on ebay when they rarely pop up.

As dude bopped me earlier in this thread vintage World Industries shirts has been my new fashion addiction lately. Which sucks because they catch mad bones on ebay when they rarely pop up.

how vintage? i bet a lot of my friends have tons of these left over from middle school. i just saw a late 90's birdhouse shirt at goodwill but didnt get it. i wish i knew where my 90s santa cruz shirt was...

• Options

how vintage? i bet a lot of my friends have tons of these left over from middle school. i just saw a late 90's birdhouse shirt at goodwill but didnt get it. i wish i knew where my 90s santa cruz shirt was...

Like between 89 and 91 mainly were my favorite World I. graphics. What santa cruz shirt did you have?

heres an example of some early world industries art.

Like between 89 and 91 mainly were my favorite World I. graphics. What santa cruz shirt did you have?

oh shit! that stuff is awesome. yeah, the stuff i was thinking of was later 90's shit with flameboy on it. i hated that shit.

the santa cruz shirt i had was just a black one with the logo on it. nothing special.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    dude bopped me

"It's the same thing"[/b]

• Options

oh shit! that stuff is awesome. yeah, the stuff i was thinking of was later 90's shit with flameboy on it. i hated that shit.

the santa cruz shirt i had was just a black one with the logo on it. nothing special.

Yeah I hated that flameboy shit too, thats after they sold the company and all the good artists left (mainly Mark McKee). I always liked Santa Cruz stuff too.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Speaking of Mark McKee. I got this designed by him for st pattys day. That was me all day that day.

Happy St. Patty's Day

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    white jeans, white reeboks, tennis socks, pink or yellow neon shirt and a spiked helmet. that's my digging costume. makes me look like someone who doesn't know anything about records. YEAH, like that was true. AHAHA...

why did you edit my post?

Because it was obnoxious and stretched out the thread in my browser. Deal?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I just did 8 miles uphill on a redline bmx bike, I got pulled over by the cops 3 times, and i ate shit twice.

- spidey

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Its all about the simple shit. Nice cuts and plain colours that go with everything. Carhartt, Edwin, Pointer Supreme and Undefeated. As i get older im learning to wear less baggy jeans. Not tight but just closer to my actual fit. I also finally own more than one button up shirt for the first time in my life. Grown ass clothes ha ha

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Boat Shoes & Driving Caps

Air Max & Mavi

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    whatever my style is, it's not in the stores. everything is so boring, so ugly and so the same.

even the vintage stores are becoming disappointing because they cater to trends.

I'm seeing a jeans/t-shirt/runners spring in my future.

And I am loving my Supra Muska hi-tops

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    the vintage stores

Vintage = Starbucks

• Options
    dude bopped me

"It's the same thing"[/b]

I don't get this. Is this weak coke humor?

the vintage stores

Vintage = Starbucks

Yup, that is definitely that's the route some of the best stores of my youth have gone, there are only a few good stores here where the owners have great timeless taste and amazing prices but two of the best ones both have limited hours. If folks are willing to pull stuff out of the basement or let you into the backroom stock, that's the way to go - lol, a lot like buying records doncha know!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    the vintage stores

Vintage = Starbucks

Yup, that is definitely that's the route some of the best stores of my youth have gone, there are only a few good stores here where the owners have great timeless taste and amazing prices but two of the best ones both have limited hours. If folks are willing to pull stuff out of the basement or let you into the backroom stock, that's the way to go - lol, a lot like buying records doncha know!

I cant mess w/ used clothes........

List under: Things That White Folks Like......

Used clothes got got evil spirits on 'em........

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    the vintage stores

Vintage = Starbucks

I cant mess w/ used clothes........

List under: Things That White Folks Like......

Used clothes got got evil spirits on 'em........

yes! thank you. cept I'm white, but ugh, used clothes creep me the fuck out.

Vintage does not always mean used. There's a lot of store stock that never made it off shelves back in 1976.

You've heard of washing clothes, right?

Unless you're buying clothes out of a garbage bag from someone's shopping cart store, it's pretty much standard that everything is dry-cleaned first.

I am way more bothered by who tried on stuff before I did in your regular mall stores. The amount of deodorant smears and foundation stains on women's clothing is ridiculous.

Anyway, new or used/vintage, I wash stuff before wearing it.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    wash that!...that's how you get the AIDS

• minneapminneap 541 Posts

Yeah I hated that flameboy shit too, thats after they sold the company and all the good artists left (mainly Mark McKee). I always liked Santa Cruz stuff too.

i haven't seen those graphics in a minute! right now my cruiser deck for gettin to class/grocery store is a powell steve saiz joint. it's this same deck but with normal uretane wheels and a pink background. it gets some looks.

i'd say that my "style" is more about late 80s, early 90s surf/streetwear. jeans, t-shirt, skateshoes (nike mainly), sometimes a fitted, and flannel button downs. pretty simple but just enough going on to keep it interesting.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    That's so '84...

i'd say that my "style" is more about late 80s, early 90s surf/streetwear.

same as me. glad to see more people going this direction. its good shit.