which 1991 LP holds up better?

DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
vs. discuss...

Comments

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    that cypress hill was official in the hood

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Cypress by a mile. I personally love the Black Sheep but I'm not going to be able to drop "Flavor of the Month" someplace and get heads going bonkers. In contrast, drop "Hand on the Pump"? BOOM.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Cypress by a mile.

Crazy

There's a difference between overplayed and doesn't hold up.

that cypress hill was official in the hood

Well then I guess we've found the consensus SoulStrut pick.

I heard that SoulStrut, too, is official in the hood.

Can any of our hood correspondents verify?

• Cypress Hill is a motherfucker. I don't think that album will ever get old to me. Nothing sounded like that at the time, neither. The shit is bonkers.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    black sheep is for ipod commercials.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    both revolutuionized rap with a gang of rock samples. i think its unfair to compare them. 2 coast's pioneering golden freshman efforts.

i agree but the question is which one has held up better. one is ripe for target ads, and the other will always remain in the car.

Cypress by a mile.

Crazy

I'm not sure what you're saying here.

In any case, I'm not suggesting the Black Sheep doesn't hold up. I still really like the album - it's less "dated" than it is "of a time period" whereas, to me at least, the Cypress' production is something that's more timeless.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Cypress at that time there was no one like them.
    I remember seeing the "Phunky Feel One" video and saying "Shit just some more rappers that won't last". I was wrong, Classic!!! No diss to blacksheep but really.

• I think they both hold up really well. Cypress is more unique and revolutionary to me. And it's more fun to sing along to.

I was at a party a long time ago and there was this lady in her 50's there and she would sing along for the "weeeeeeeeeeee" parts. It was hilarious!

• I was at a party a long time ago and there was this lady in her 50's there and she would sing along for the "weeeeeeeeeeee" parts. It was hilarious!

OFFICIAL IN DA HOOD!

Cypress by a mile.

Crazy

Question was which one holds up better.

The critique most people have of WISC--you included--is that they're tired of hearing it.

That doesn't address the question--if anything, it suggests that too many people have agreed that it holds up well and have overplayed it.

Personally, I stopped frequenting the type of venues packed with dudes who jump up and down and do that arm crook thing whenever they hear Black Sheep or vintage Tribe well over a decade ago, and so my affection for those groups remains intact.

Cypress by a mile.

Crazy

The critique most people have of WISC--you included--is that they're tired of hearing it.

That doesn't address the question--if anything, it suggests that too many people have agreed that it holds up well and have overplayed it.

Personally, I stopped frequenting the type of venues packed with dudes who jump up and down and do that arm crook thing whenever they hear Black Sheep or vintage Tribe well over a decade ago, and so my affection for those groups remains intact.

Faux: I didn't say nor even imply that. I don't think the disinterest in Black Sheep stems from it being "overplayed" (except maybe in the case of "The Choice Is Yours (Remix)"). I think it has do with its ability to connect with people, cross-generationally. Many songs off that Cypress Hill album, to me, have simply aged better for aesthetic reasons whereas the Black Sheep album sounds pretty much like "early '90s hip-hop." Same goes for, say, that first Brand Nubian album. I'll ride for "Slow Down" and "Step to the Rear" but I think in most settings outside, say, a party at Milk, it'd sound anything but a lil dated.

Cypress by a mile.

Crazy

Faux: I didn't say nor even imply that. I don't think the disinterest in Black Sheep stems from it being "overplayed" (except maybe in the case of "The Choice Is Yours (Remix)"). I think it has do with its ability to connect with people, cross-generationally.

Hmmm, okay, yeah--I see your critique had to do with how it affects audiences you DJ for, rather than what you think of it.

Many songs off that Cypress Hill album, to me, have simply aged better for aesthetic reasons whereas the Black Sheep album sounds pretty much like "early '90s hip-hop." Same goes for, say, that first Brand Nubian album. I'll ride for "Slow Down" and "Step to the Rear" but I think in most settings outside, say, a party at Milk, it'd sound anything but a lil dated.

Still disagree. The Cypress album sounded really dated to me within a few years of its release.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The correct answer is Cypress Hill.

It was a better album then and is still a better album now.

And that's coming from soneone who has always really liked the Black Sheep album.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Personally, I stopped frequenting the type of venues packed with dudes who jump up and down and do that arm crook thing

you are missed.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I stopped frequenting the type of venues packed with dudes who jump up and down and do that arm crook thing whenever they hear Black Sheep or vintage Tribe well over a decade ago

At least you had that choice...

Personally, I stopped frequenting the type of venues packed with dudes who jump up and down and do that arm crook thing

you are missed.

Tell the homies Chads I still got love for 'em, Chad homie.

Faux, I'm with you on abandoning those who apparently wish to relive that same The Choice Is Yours Rmx/Scenario/TROY excitement over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Seriously, what is wrong with those people?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    A combination of liking the safety of what they know and not being able to kick nostalgia?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Is the Choice Is Yours (Remix) even on the album?

Imma go w/ Cypress Hill

"Pigs" - YES
    "How I Could Just Kill a Man" Hells YES
    "Hand on the Pump" YES
    "Hole In the Head" YES
    "Ultraviolet Dreams" - YES
    "Light Another" - huh
    "The Phuncky Feel One" - Yeah
    "Break It Up" - YES
    "Real Estate" - HELLS TO THE YES
    "Stoned Is The Way Of The Walk" - Hells YES
    "Psycobetabuckdown" - Hells YEAH
    "Something For The Blunted" - huh
    "Latin Lingo" - NO
    "The Funky Cypress Hill Shit" - Huh
    "Tres Equis" - NO
    "Born To Get Busy" - alright

A combination of liking the safety of what they know and not being able to kick nostalgia?

Yep on the safety aspect.

But I'm not sure it qualifies as nostalgia if they've never left it even for a second.

To be fair, this may be a bit of a strawman.

Are there that many of these people left? There were lots of them on SoulStrut when I joined circa 2003, but most of those dudes seemed to have realized at some point that 1993 is not coming back.

Is the Choice Is Yours (Remix) even on the album?

Nope.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I love both albums. Both hold up really well. One is more fun than the other and I think some of you are faulting it for being fun (don't want hood pass revoked). Both are examples of innovation and creativity and are still more creative than the majority of rap records that have come out in the following 17 years. I'd say that's pretty good in "hold up" terms.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I'm with you on abandoning those who apparently wish to relive that same The Choice Is Yours Rmx/Scenario/TROY excitement over and over and over and over and over and over again. Seriously, what is wrong with those people?

"Like Haysuess(Jesus)- as if such a person really existed- you won???t find us in any Temples of hiphop because they???re all hollow vessels of corruption and bogusness. Any crusader purist of hiphops past are just hollograms; ghosts in the machine screaming "yes yes yall" hoping to evoke the spirit of KidCreole. And you won???t find us singing like Magilla Gorillas in the window telling the world we???re "Crazy" even though we know we are. And we do like corruption by the way but only when we???re doing it. You might call us demons not because you view us as something bad for you. The opposite is true- we???re demons because we???re something good for you that you don???t want to eat, but what could be worse than all the bullshit you already ate. We know some of you???d rather have a K.West dick burger in your mouth because you thought a gay-rapper could save hiphop."

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i always thought you guys are more the phil collins type. no need to play cool.

To be fair, this may be a bit of a strawman.

Are there that many of these people left? There were lots of them on SoulStrut when I joined circa 2003, but most of those dudes seemed to have realized at some point that 1993 is not coming back.

So I'll take it that you haven't been to any Scion events the past few years?

Not that you should, but a Scion event may be the best way to prove that there are still far too many people who think that rap would be best served to reduce itself to 10 songs put out by Black Sheep, Gang Starr, A Tribe Called Quest, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, Brand Nubian, Diamond D, Showbiz and AG, and De La Soul released between 91-94.

Personally, I think rap would be best served if those people conveniently fell off the face of the Earth.

they also released the s/t in spanish. cant front on that