Which country has the worst food?

Comments

• SoulpowerSoulpower 204 Posts
    what about german food?

Quite tasty, especially food from the country side. A lot of Americans compare it to Soul food - minus hot sauce and spices. Pork chops, mashed poptatoes, red cabbage, gravy, mushroom sauce .. got stuff. Goes down really well with a wheat beer (Weizenbier). Definetely heavy food.

the days of gravy and meat are over

Hell no! These days will never be over.

I should also mention Doener Kebap, which is considered the most popular German food. While its origin is Turkish and even though it is still sold in Turkish fast food joints, the Doener Kebap sandwich has mutated into a German dish. Anyone who's tried it in Turkey before will confirm this - it's an entirely different thing.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    What's Canadian Cuisine consist of?

For food native and exclusive to Canada, you'd probably be looking at First Nations cuisine...including Inuit foods. If you ask me, everyone after that came to Canada and brought their foods with them and they adapted and morphed over time depending on weather, availabilty, etc. - to me this is everything from France to India. Is poutine more Canadian than masala dosa? I dunno...

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    tough going german food - you'd wanna like sausage if your gonna spend any time

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    There's a German restaraunt in beautiful Plano, Texas and hell, I love it. Mad different kindsa wursts (I love me some sausage ), of course saurkraut, more bread than one would ever need, pretzels with mustard (in the place of chips n salsa) and most importantly a shitload of different kinds of German beer. The food really could be marginal but I'd never know 'cause after 7 Paulaners everything tastes pretty damn good.

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    I'd never know 'cause after 7 Paulaners everything tastes pretty damn good.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

I should also mention Doener Kebap, which is considered the most popular German food. While its origin is Turkish and even though it is still sold in Turkish fast food joints, the Doener Kebap sandwich has mutated into a German dish. Anyone who's tried it in Turkey before will confirm this - it's an entirely different thing.

a turkish guy that lived in berlin invented it. he had no chance to sell kebap in his restaurant. noone wanted to sit down and eat. people were used to buy currywurst to go for a snack. so he treid to put kebap in a homemade bread and BOOOOOM... there you had it.

a turkish guy that lived in berlin invented it. he had no chance to sell kebap in his restaurant. noone wanted to sit down and eat. people were used to buy currywurst to go for a snack. so he treid to put kebap in a homemade bread and BOOOOOM... there you had it.

Yeah, he invented it in Berlin, Kreuzberg, in the early 70s because the original way to serve Kebap didn't really interest his customers.

The Turkish way looks like this:

Now this is the German way (salad and onions added, wrapped up in a sandwich):

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

all these threads keep coming back to Germany
    first uvg's and now ufg's - u b e r f o o d g e e k s

There's a German restaraunt in beautiful Plano, Texas and hell, I love it. Mad different kindsa wursts (I love me some sausage ), of course saurkraut, more bread than one would ever need, pretzels with mustard (in the place of chips n salsa) and most importantly a shitload of different kinds of German beer. The food really could be marginal but I'd never know 'cause after 7 Paulaners everything tastes pretty damn good.

How can you not love this for breakfast?

And who needs salsa when you got this:

Even Clyde Stubblefield, the Funky Drummer, really loves his German Schweinebraten:

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

it's because of me sitting at home... totally bored.

what's uvgs?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Even Clyde Stubblefield, the Funky Drummer, really loves his German Schweinebraten

If the 'funky drummer' says it's good it must be!

it's because of me sitting at home... totally bored.

what's uvgs?

Uber Vinyl Geeks
    you find em in German record shops apparently
    btw thanks for the record info a few days ago - most helpful
    but you did not mention Planet der Liebe....

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

And who needs salsa when you got this:

combined with

and

hands down, nothing is better than this at 10 o clock in the morning

Even Clyde Stubblefield, the Funky Drummer, really loves his German Schweinebraten

If the 'funky drummer' says it's good it must be!

Point on! He always goes to eat at the same spot and orders the same meal. He know's what's good ..

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    let me chime in here...

UK - terrible food! look at your would-be-rulers across the channel for how you REALLY cook up meats!

now i'm sure i'll take some shit for sayin this cause i for one don't eat meat, but i can tell you i've been there, smelled that, and when i was a kid def ate the shit outta some wursts, saurkraut, ect.

sorry UK peoples. i lived over there for 2 years, and the only home-grown foods i was diggin were those [veg] ploughman sandwiches from Tesco's, and wine-gums. everything else i ate was from another land.

on the kebab tip, Woody Grill, camden town....ya feeeel?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    All this hate on Cuba is a little much. I've never been to the actual island so I can't tell you, but here in NY Cuban cuisine is pretty damn good, and no it is not an Americanized version. Go into any good Cuban restaurant, order the ropa vieja and tell me its not good. Or have some roast pork, or a cubano sandwich. Haters.

For me the food was really blah. Probably because they are not big on spices there. But it really comes down to not having much to cook with. The embargo really makes it tough to get a decent meal.

When you are only allowed things like milk (etc) if your under the age of 6 or over 60, it really fucks with cooking.

Don't get me wrong. Cuba is a great place to go. I'd recommend it any day. Just don't go for the food, you will be greatly disappointed.

let me chime in here...

UK - terrible food! look at your would-be-rulers across the channel for how you REALLY cook up meats!

now i'm sure i'll take some shit for sayin this cause i for one don't eat meat, but i can tell you i've been there, smelled that, and when i was a kid def ate the shit outta some wursts, saurkraut, ect.

sorry UK peoples. i lived over there for 2 years, and the only home-grown foods i was diggin were those [veg] ploughman sandwiches from Tesco's, and wine-gums. everything else i ate was from another land.

so let's get this straight
    you were eating kebabs in Camden....
    what's not quintessentially Brit about that?

let me chime in here...

I loved food in England. Well, that's not entirely true. But breakfast every day was Fuckin' killing it for me when I lived there! Rarely had shitty fish & chips. And fuck it, I consider Indian food apart of Britain now. Which to me, is top notch!

• i have said it before and despite the impassioned defense of it (ie sunday roasts) homegrown british cuisine is pretty damn awful. i am not talking about 5 star restos, just everyday food.

mega-processed ingredients, often in the form of a pie, deep fried, starchy and usually the furthest thing from being freshly made or even healthy. oh yeah, and it s real expensive too.

this craptacular meal will run you over 5 bucks american:

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Ok, so kebabs and indian food are now considered English food? I think we have a winner.

If you're national dish is actually some other country's national dish, your country may have the worst food....

Ok, so kebabs and indian food are now considered English food? I think we have a winner.

If you're national dish is actually some other country's national dish, your country may have the worst food....

So, Italian food sucks then? Since they just ripped off pasta from the Chinese...

I wasn't really considering Indian food British. Just that there is no denying that there is a HUGE Indian population in the country. And some really great food can be found all over England. Anyone who says they can't find a decent meal there is full of it.

If we really were to get into things. You would have to deny many countries. Since their foods are a mix of many different cultures around the world. What is South America or Caribbean without Spanish & Africa influences into the mix?

In anycase. The point of the topic is moot. Since this is all opinion.

Funny tho, someone brought up beaver tail in the thread. That shit is DOPE!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

There are certain "Indian" dishes which were developed in the UK, and are geared more towards the English palate, such as chicken tikka masala, which I believe was actually created by a Bangladeshi living in Birmingham. It is now the most popular dish in the UK, having supplanted fish and chips quite a few years ago now. There's also a certain element of "tradition" involved in the consumption of a kebab during the journey home after a night on the swally, but I didn't even touch that shit before I became vegetarian.

Being veggie means I have a fairly limited recollection of things like the traditional English Sunday roast, or of regional favourites like pie & mash with liquor (a kind of parsley sauce), which my bonafide Cockney missus considers the food of the Gods. But I'm assured by people who eat that kind of thing on the regular that, when it's done well, you couldn't wish for a better meal.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    I consider Indian food apart of Britain now. Which to me, is top notch!

Saying, a bunch of Indian dishes were created here, UK has the kebab game on lock too!

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    There's also a certain element of "tradition" involved in the consumption of a kebab during the journey home after a night on the swally

seeeeeeen.

but yo, i just got them joints with the mock meat, or no meat at all. closest thing to it here at home is The Greek Spot (REPRESENT! REPRESENT!)

but kebabs aren't English, beans, burberry visors, and lucozade are.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    All this hate on Cuba is a little much. I've never been to the actual island so I can't tell you, but here in NY Cuban cuisine is pretty damn good, and no it is not an Americanized version. Go into any good Cuban restaurant, order the ropa vieja and tell me its not good. Or have some roast pork, or a cubano sandwich. Haters.

I said I ate bad food in Cuba, but I didn't say Cuban food is bad. In fact, I specifically noted Cuba's rich creole food traditions. Cuba today is a pretty miserable place if you like to eat, but as soon as people aren't just scraping by with government rations and the blackmarket, I imagine Cuba's food will gradually return to its former glory.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Last time I was in Germany I was working with a group of folks from a variety of European countries.

The first night they asked me what I would like to eat and I told them that I would like to try some German cuisine.

They pointed me in the direction of a restaurant and told me I'd be on my own as they were not about to eat any of that swill??

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    From my personal travels (over 35 countries) I'd have to say the Czech Republic. Thank God they have great beer (some of the best anywhere) and great looking women to make up for their cuisine.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    What's Canadian Cuisine consist of?

For food native and exclusive to Canada, you'd probably be looking at First Nations cuisine...including Inuit foods. If you ask me, everyone after that came to Canada and brought their foods with them and they adapted and morphed over time depending on weather, availabilty, etc. - to me this is everything from France to India. Is poutine more Canadian than masala dosa? I dunno...

I respectfully disagree. There are rich food traditions in Canada that date back centuries and while not indigenous in the sense that they originate with the first nations, are uniquely Canadian. Quebec is a great example, especially this time of year when folks do the cabane a sucre thing, which really has no counterpart elsewhere.

Is poutine more Canadian than masala dosa? Of course it is. Poutine originates in Canada, has its roots in various aspects Quebecois culture, and is uniquely Canadian. Good luck finding it outside of Canada.

No one is going to associate dosas with Canada before southern India. I'm sure we're well on our way to an Indo-Canadian culinary tradition, but you'd have to convince me that dosas are currently anything more than a foreign food made here. They're only Canadian if your definition of Canada culinary traditions include everything under the sun, and if that's so, then there's no point speaking in terms of Canadian food at all. My understanding of Canadian food involves some connection to terroir, for lack of a better word. That currently works for defining poutine as Canadian, but not yet for dosas.

On a somewhat related note, you have to be brought up eating Inuit "camp" food to find a lot of it anything other than shocking. Eating raw seal (all of it) is either a taste you're born with or one very slowly acquired...

My worst experience was in Eastern Germany before the wall came down. I was visting East Berlin sometime in the mid-80s and had some pork chops in a local restaurant. Everything about this entire dish was doomed from the beginning. It was the worst food I ever ate, and I have eaten some very horrible foods on my travels.

Rotten beans for breakfast in Japan still on the top of my list for terrible foods. They don't look all that bad, though they are mushy and you have to stir them hard with chopsticks until they turn into a gluey, slimey paste. The stink is hard to bare.

But still, Japan has some of the greatest dishes to offer!

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    My worst experience was in Eastern Germany before the wall came down. I was visting East Berlin sometime in the mid-80s and had some pork chops in a local restaurant. Everything about this entire dish was doomed from the beginning. It was the worst food I ever ate, and I have eaten some very horrible foods on my travels.

Rotten beans for breakfast in Japan still on the top of my list for terrible foods. They don't look all that bad, though they are mushy and you have to stir them hard with chopsticks until they turn into a gluey, slimey paste. The stink is hard to bare.

But still, Japan has some of the greatest dishes to offer!

i worked for the board of ed in japan. imagine that stinky fermented bean shit. now imagine it as a governemt subsidized school lunch. the worst part about it is the kids take their lunch in the classroom. so the whole classroom on natto day smells like feet. i see you got the bare bones version. they usually like to crack a raw quail egg on that mofo. but the most perverted japanese foods are what they do to other culture's foods. like pizza.