• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Stuff you made, or break you found?

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts

inquiring drum heads need to know

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

I'm way more psyched for this to be something made to sound like somethings it's not. Coveted counterfeit breaks, from raers that don't exist makes are impossible to find.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

I'm way more psyched for this to be something made to sound like somethings it's not. Coveted counterfeit breaks, from raers that don't exist makes are impossible to find.

well you're in luck, i recorded it last night when i was bored.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts

well you're in luck, i recorded it last night when i was bored.

deadly. nice job, man

thanks guys, glad you like it.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    Man... some serious moments there. So is this like fair use? Cause I wanna try to make something with this shit later today.

if you want i can post the raw drum track when i get home...

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    For sure. Ima try to bring all the instruments outta the closet on this one.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    if you want i can post the raw drum track when i get home...

I'd like that too. I'd also like to say that music like this is really appealing. Trying to not get too deep into theory:

We are all familiar with the analog vs. digital debate. Analog often appeals because it has a kind of patina--which we find pleasing. Analog acquires patina by virute of its use, and by enduring time. Digital offers no such inherent patina. For the most part a digital recording sounds like ass, and is largely unusable, or it is an accurate rendition. So, the difficulty of digital music comes in crafting a patina, and making something seem naturally weathered when it is in fact crafted. 'Lo-fi' accomplishes this in a sense, but is heavy-handed and aesthetically fatiguing.

Obviously the drums on your recording are great, but it's the patina that really puts the shine on there. Being familiar with music from old records also leads to a familiarity with the patinas commonly associated with those musics. I'm really excited about the fact that you've created something that could pass for an antiquity. It's a great bipartite virtuosity--on the part of musicianship, and also on the part of listening to patinas and then figuring out how to craft them.

Solid work dude.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    how many and which mics did u use for recodring this?

sounds really dope, rough.

i used one internal condenser mic from a cassette recorder (the first cassette recorder Sony made) in one place for the entire recording. i think it has a built in ALC unit which acts as a compressor for some nice punch. ran it through my Boss voice processor which has some pretty nice natural-sounding reverb.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    i used one internal condenser mic from a cassette recorder in one place for the entire recording. i think it has a built in ALC unit which acts as a compressor for some nice punch. ran it through my Boss voice processor which has some pretty nice natural reverb.

i would have NEVER thought of this. a casette recorder mic.

• damn. i wanna lay some bass over this!

go for it dude. i originally recorded some synth lines over it but i thought it sounded better raw...post up whatever you do!

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    i used one internal condenser mic from a cassette recorder in one place for the entire recording. i think it has a built in ALC unit which acts as a compressor for some nice punch. ran it through my Boss voice processor which has some pretty nice natural reverb.

Heh, reminds me of that line from Sure Shot by the Beastie Boys: "I got a bullshit mic that's made out of plastic". Sometimes cheap shitty mics can make some of the most interesting sounds.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    very DOPE drums, man.

damn. i wanna lay some bass over this!

someone should lay guitar/organ/moog/vocals over it and soulstrut will have it's own band

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Ako dude you ALWAYS come through with the ill drums.

These are straight gutter maaaaannngg!!!!

If you don't eventually use your drumming talents to make sweet music for the world to enjoy then I'll be severely disappointed... for real.

AANNNDDD you got recording skills/techniques to get sounds that most people would kill for.

Much Propers.

• dude.

Loving this. How about we do a board-wide sponsor drive to get you and Day in the studio with the quickness? Some nice cuts on top, touch of keys, solid bassline....

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts

Heh, reminds me of that line from Sure Shot by the Beastie Boys: "I got a bullshit mic that's made out of plastic". Sometimes cheap shitty mics can make some of the most interesting sounds.

yeah, sure. i also did a track with vocals recorded on a 2$ microphone, and the noise turned out to be a cool effect eventually.
    but drums - i mean i have some drummer friends who record stuff for bands, and they swear on their 5-mics (each for 500$) setup.
    listening to ako`s take.. on these 500$ mics.
    sure it depends what you wanna do. but i like it that raw.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    dude.

Loving this. How about we do a board-wide sponsor drive to get you and Day in the studio with the quickness? Some nice cuts on top, touch of keys, solid bassline....

This is what I'm saying!

Ako is

glad you guys like it! didnt expect this sort of response.

anyway heres some bonus beats[/b]. i "cover" 5 classic breaks here in this order:

Skull Snaps
    Synthetic Substitution
    Hihache
    Impeach the President
    Take me to the Mardi Gras (with bells!)

i would have done apache but its really only distinct because of the bongos (which i dont have), and GOD DAMN is funky drummer a hard pattern to play at the same tempo perfectly! wouldnt be so tough without the minor open hi-hats but im gonna have to practice that one....

and as requested heres just the drum track from the original thing i posted. its pretty sloppy without all the other percussion...

do with it what you will, just make sure you show me how it turns out!

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Take me to the Mardi Gras (with bells!)

Man I need to start playing again and find a way to record my drums outside of the garage. There's way too much reverb in there.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    You know some assmonkey using the DJChawp account is 'sampling' these drums right now.

You know some assmonkey using the DJChawp account is 'sampling' these drums right now.

haha...yeah...well as long as "they" arent using the default fruityloops sounds anymore its fine by me!