Robert Downey Jr. as a blackman?

2»

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    if I only saw that still without being told it was rdj or having that picture next to it I probably would have no clue who it was.

At the same time, just hire a black actor. Save money and time on the make up at least. I don't see the real advantage to this. He's a good actor, but I doubt they hired him to play a convincing "black guy." Either make the character white if they really want Downey or just hire a black actor to play that role.

I think the script calls for a white man to become black. The description is kind of vague.

"Downey Jr plays a worthy Oscar-winning actor taking on a role originally written for a black actor, and rather than re-write the part, he goes method."

That changes things a bit, if that is the storyline. But then why not get a black actor in white make-up and then he can take it off and play the black role?

uhh, cause the movie is about a white man who plays a black role... why do the opposite?

uhh, I got that. Because if these things can be played around with, as they have time and again, why not do the opposite and unexpected?

lol - see?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    if I only saw that still without being told it was rdj or having that picture next to it I probably would have no clue who it was.

At the same time, just hire a black actor. Save money and time on the make up at least. I don't see the real advantage to this. He's a good actor, but I doubt they hired him to play a convincing "black guy." Either make the character white if they really want Downey or just hire a black actor to play that role.

I think the script calls for a white man to become black. The description is kind of vague.

"Downey Jr plays a worthy Oscar-winning actor taking on a role originally written for a black actor, and rather than re-write the part, he goes method."

That changes things a bit, if that is the storyline. But then why not get a black actor in white make-up and then he can take it off and play the black role?

what ??

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

what ??

interesting

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

what ??

interesting

They should have just had Lucy Liu do it.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

this makes no sense to me. what the hell is "a worthy Oscar-winning actor" anyway?

he "plays" an actor? and is the "actor" supposed to be a white actor playing a black dude? and if so, why would they have to "re-write the part" at all considering RD Jr. is....a white actor?

was this description of the movie written by google translator?

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts

this makes no sense to me. what the hell is "a worthy Oscar-winning actor" anyway?

he "plays" an actor? and is the "actor" supposed to be a white actor playing a black dude? and if so, why would they have to "re-write the part" at all considering RD Jr. is....a white actor?

No, you just misunderstood what most people understood i think.
    He plays an actor, the role this actor plays is not that of another actor, it is a black soldier.

He plays an actor, the role this actor plays is not that of another actor, it is a black soldier.

okay smarty pants then why does it say he "plays an actor taking on a role originally written for a black actor"?

if he is playing an actor, what "role is he taking on"?

so it's a movie about an actor. but which role was "originally written for a black actor"? Downey's role? Or the role that the imaginary actor takes on in the movie ?

wouldn't it be simpler to say the role Downey is playing was written for a black actor? otherwise it sounds like he's a real-life white actor >>> playing a (black? white?) actor >>> who is playing a role (in the movie) intended for a black actor (in the movie).

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    wouldn't it be simpler to say the role Downey is playing was written for a black actor?

Yep

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

okay smarty pants then why does it say he "plays an actor taking on a role originally written for a black actor"?

so it's a movie about an actor. but which role was "originally written for a black actor"? Downey's role? Or the role that the imaginary actor takes on in the movie ?

wouldn't it be simpler to say the role Downey is playing was written for a black actor? otherwise it sounds like he's a real-life white actor >>> playing a (black? white?) actor >>> who is playing a role (in the movie) intended for a black actor (in the movie).

the last one is right...he's a white actor, PLAYING a white actor who gets cast in a part that was originally for a black actor and he refuses to play the role as a white man because he believes in himself that much as an actor. it's not that hard to digest, come on.

• "Downey Jr plays a worthy Oscar-winning actor taking on a role originally written for a black actor, and rather than re-write the part, he goes method."

...Or the role that the imaginary actor takes on in the movie ?[/b]

From what I've read I believe this is actually the case. It's a film about making a film in which the production company deliberately strands the actors in the jungle as punishment of some kind.

it's not that hard to digest, come on.

well now that someone has explained it to me it's not.

anyway the role should've gone to Ghost.

"n*ggas think I'm Indian/slalf hash Puerto Rican..."

now that's method acting.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    They should get Ghostface to do the whole soundtrack with production by RZA. Or maybe even let Ghost play Tony Starks/Iron Man and the rest of the Wu play the other roles. The trailer looks pretty dope tho.

Only if Ghostface gets to wear white make-up.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    They should get Ghostface to do the whole soundtrack with production by RZA. Or maybe even let Ghost play Tony Starks/Iron Man and the rest of the Wu play the other roles. The trailer looks pretty dope tho.

That's funny, I thought of this movie too. It's like saying they play white girls in this movie, which they don't. They play people who have to play the roles of white girls.

RD Jr is playing the part of an actor, and this actor plays the part of an African-American. The whole thing is that RD Jr is playing the part of an actor who has the nerve to do this. The role that RD Jr is playing was not written for an African-American actor. The role that his character is playing in the movie that is being made in this movie is doing that.

So, all of Soulstrut should have had parts in this movie, playing people who talk about how racist it is for RD Jr's character to play the role of an African-American.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

THEY COULD HAVE CAST ONE OF THE VERY CAPABLE OLD JEWISH MEN FOR THIS ROLL!!!

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts
    Ben Stiller could have just hired a black man to play a black man, but where's the pre-release "what the fuck?" internet hype in that?

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

why is no one commenting on Stiller in this pic? the hilarity of his faux-serious soldier pose far overshadows any deep race-related social implications of Rob Downey Jr. in blackface.

Because it's the same as all his other faux-serious roles.

I dated this one girl that loved Ben Stiller humor and his movies. We literaly broke up because I said "His brand of humor is lame and dry". Am i

Am i

the one Bassie will ride for you. but this is a separate thread that has already happened.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Ben Stiller could have just hired a black man to play a black man, but where's the pre-release "what the fuck?" internet hype in that?

Huh? Are people really confused about the concept of this film?

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

That's funny, I thought of this movie too. It's like saying they play white girls in this movie, which they don't. They play people who have to play the roles of white girls.

RD Jr is playing the part of an actor, and this actor plays the part of an African-American. The whole thing is that RD Jr is playing the part of an actor who has the nerve to do this. The role that RD Jr is playing was not written for an African-American actor. The role that his character is playing in the movie that is being made in this movie is doing that.

So, all of Soulstrut should have had parts in this movie, playing people who talk about how racist it is for RD Jr's character to play the role of an African-American.

Dude, you're so confused.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

I feel that the more I read this thread, the dumber I get.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    .... But then why not get a black actor in white make-up and then he can take it off and play the black role?

... maybe because MVP did it with Godfrey Cambridge near 40 years ago ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watermelon_Man_(film)

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    my whole family loves peter sellers in "the party"

• GambleGamble 844 Posts