Robert Downey Jr. as a blackman?

Comments

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    I think he is a fine actor and given the premise of this movie, he may pull it off...

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    if I only saw that still without being told it was rdj or having that picture next to it I probably would have no clue who it was.

At the same time, just hire a black actor. Save money and time on the make up at least. I don't see the real advantage to this. He's a good actor, but I doubt they hired him to play a convincing "black guy." Either make the character white if they really want Downey or just hire a black actor to play that role.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    The makeup is pretty next-level. I never would have guessed that was Downey Jr. let alone a white guy.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    are there not any talented enough black actors out in the world that they feel the need to hire a white guy to do a black guy?"

Exactly.

This is just deepens my dislike for Stiller even more.

I also have never been able to see the amazing acting abilities Downey, Jr. is supposed to possess.

Lame.

if I only saw that still without being told it was rdj or having that picture next to it I probably would have no clue who it was.

At the same time, just hire a black actor. Save money and time on the make up at least. I don't see the real advantage to this. He's a good actor, but I doubt they hired him to play a convincing "black guy." Either make the character white if they really want Downey or just hire a black actor to play that role.

I think the script calls for a white man to become black. The description is kind of vague.

"Downey Jr plays a worthy Oscar-winning actor taking on a role originally written for a black actor, and rather than re-write the part, he goes method."

Well the premise of the movie is just that though
    Its a movie about making a movie. In the fictional movie, RDJr's role is originally written for a black man but the original actor drops out and RDJr's character is cast and refuses to play it as a white guy (pompous big headed ego maniac actor related).

So there you go I guess.

I think the script calls for a white man to become black. The description is kind of vague.

"Downey Jr plays a worthy Oscar-winning actor taking on a role originally written for a black actor, and rather than re-write the part, he goes method."

That changes things a bit, if that is the storyline. But then why not get a black actor in white make-up and then he can take it off and play the black role?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Is this a resurgence of an old trend.

First Angela Jolie as that Writer. Then the Racially neutral move w/ that Star Trek chick. Now This.

Hmmmm?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Wow, I would've never in a million years guessed that was him, let alone a white dude.
    From what I read about the film he plays an actor who will go to any length to get a role - even changing his skin color. He said if there was any way this could be misunderstood or come off like C. Thomas Howell ala Soul Man, he wouldn't do it. I don't think there is any reason for folks to trip, but I'm not Black and I haven't seen the movie. They said test audiences had positive reactions though.

I also have never been able to see the amazing acting abilities Downey, Jr. is supposed to possess.

Lame.

I don't think he's a great actor but the screen loves him.

I just saw on IMDB that he's playing Tony Stark in both Iron Man and the new Incredible Hulk (???).

EDIT: Whoa, and look at the cast in the Incredible Hulk http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800080/

I saw that pic yesterday and did not know it was RDJr until i read the article it was from.

They said PREDOMINATELY CAUCASOID test audiences had positive reactions though.

From what I read about the film he plays an actor who will go to any length to get a role - even changing his skin color. He said if there was any way this could be misunderstood or come off like C. Thomas Howell ala Soul Man, he wouldn't do it.

ok, I get it now. That changes things. I guess it's all satire. I was wondering how something like this would fly these days, but I guess it's got a different back story.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Nah, the article said Black folks who saw it. Still, that could mean 3 people.

You sure those black folks werent wearing makeup?/

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Haha, so you think this is that fucked up? Remember that movie where Mike Tyson smacked the shit out of him? Now that was a film he should have stayed away from.

From wikipedia:

Test audiences received the film positively and mentioned that no particular offense was taken to Downey's portrayal of a Black man. The audiences ranged in backgrounds and included whites, asians*, african americans*, and latinos*

*to be noted as whites in makeup.

• I just saw on IMDB that he's playing Tony Stark

Totally racist that this role was not offered to Ghostface.

• I just saw on IMDB that he's playing Tony Stark

I know....Ghost should sue, just like Spike Lee did when he tried to sue Spike TV for "using" his name.

I just saw on IMDB that he's playing Tony Stark

I know....Ghost should sue, just like Spike Lee did when he tried to sue Spike TV for "using" his name.

BAN

I thought Ghost had a cameo in it.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Is that Stan Lee? Damn, that's some Excelsior for your ass.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I thought Ghost had a cameo in it.

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1574693/20071119/story.jhtml?rsspartner=rssMozilla

In a surprising yet fitting move, Ghostface Killah ??? who goes by the hip-hop nickname Tony Starks and named his 1996 debut Iron Man ??? has a role in the upcoming "Iron Man" flick.

"I jumped in there for maybe 12 or 16 bars, nothing too major," Ghost downplayed before describing his scene with the film's star. "It was a good look for the kid because Robert Downey Jr. recognized me as soon as I seen him. He was like, 'Yo, Tony!' ... For him to recognize me, I was kinda surprised by that. I didn't know he even knew about the kid. ... We called each other Tony onscreen. I'm like, 'Tony Stark, I got your jet, I didn't mess it up.' He was like, 'I got the Bentley for you, I laced it up.' I had two girls with me, I was like, 'That's you [pointing toward the girls].' I sent two birds at him. It was a wrap for that scene. He's a cool dude and funny. Big up to Robert Downey Jr.

• edubedub 715 Posts

That changes things a bit, if that is the storyline. But then why not get a black actor in white make-up and then he can take it off and play the black role?

uhh, cause the movie is about a white man who plays a black role... why do the opposite?

after reading the article about the movie, I can see that this is not about taking a role away from a black actor... no need to get all ass-hurt about everything (nothing personal here, just making a general observation).

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

why is no one commenting on Stiller in this pic? the hilarity of his faux-serious soldier pose far overshadows any deep race-related social implications of Rob Downey Jr. in blackface.

why is no one commenting on Stiller in this pic? the hilarity of his faux-serious soldier pose far overshadows any deep race-related social implications of Rob Downey Jr. in blackface.

Because it's the same as all his other faux-serious roles.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Then how about Jack Black looking like an extremely chubby Philip Seymour Hoffman?

uhh, cause the movie is about a white man who plays a black role... why do the opposite?

uhh, I got that. Because if these things can be played around with, as they have time and again, why not do the opposite and unexpected?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Then how about Jack Black looking like an extremely chubby Philip Seymour Hoffman?

he appears to be on some attempted once-fat-and-goofy-now-mean-and-scary a la Michael Chiklis.

uhh, I got that. Because if these things can be played around with, as they have time and again, why not do the opposite and unexpected?