business of.... weekend finds

handcorkscrewhandcorkscrew 255 Posts
edited April 2005 in Record Collecting
Spots are in full swing and the roaches are running around the record room in excitement. Today marked no less than the 6th occaision I've found a copy of HARD HANDS in either completely beat shape or missing the wax. It's beyond hilarious. I expect it to be there for me now. However there were some nice bits and baubles, random artists as well as nice copies of:this one is really ... I was sleeping on 60s barretto... I had a similar experience with tito puente a few weeks ago.

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    only one so far, but its pretty rad

anything else good on the Different Drummer label?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    quality find

people are going to work you for it, son

they have another LP I think

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    I like that label-design. Two records, one halfway out of the sleeve?

- J

quality find

really? is it raer?

anyone know how their other lp is?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Looks dope Mack, whats it sound like? Mr. Postman just brought me Randy Burns- song for an uncertain lady on ESP. Radd.

• They have one other, plus the avar lawrence stuff.

Not uber rare or anything.

There's a few other releases on a label associated with different drummer, I think it's the same thing.

its some funky jazz rock type shit. the first side isnt that dope, but the second side(which is just one song) is a real wicked funky jazz type number

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    quality find

really? is it raer?

anyone know how their other lp is?

I'll be selling a dupe of the other record. I like the stuff. Very similar to the first. "just might turn out to be sages"

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    blurry pic of some flea market business. The 12" is Fantasy 3 - Biters In The City

The coolest thing I picked up was the following Sly Stone book (looks like a record) of pictures. Circa 1969.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    wow! that book looks dope!

wow! that book looks dope!

It's really fresh. But it's not that long - the thing's still the size of a gatefold LP. 12 pages, not including the inside covers, and it's all pics back to back. Some really dope shit.

I'll see if I can flick some more later. Anyone have any info about it?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Clarence Reid on the way hommie? Oh speaking of Clarence Reid, Blowfly played here in town last week. Did any headz see him and know the deal? (no thraed hijack)

yes

• "sly examines the little people in his life..."

ultra- !

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Picked up Earth, Wind & Fire - 'S/T' and Sylvia - 'Pillow Talk' at the local show today.

Had to pass on the bill a dude was asking for Steve Reid's 'Nova'

Interesting to note that this album contains the intro music for Gilles Peterson's radio show...

I thought there was a slim chance he didn't know what market value.

Just got my Brothers of Soul - Come on Back/The Love I Found In You from CDub

• Ice T - that's how I'm livin / 99 problems 12" (damn, Dj Aladdin kills it on the instrumental of 99 problems)

Charles Mingus - live at bohemia EP on Debut.

No much as usually.

Dress

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    A few things across the board...

Ten years After- Undead lp
    D Train- You're the One for Me 12"
    Unlimited Touch- When I hear Music in the Streets 12"
    Billy Ocean- Night 12"
    Packman- I'm the Packman 12"
    Kano- It's a War 12"
    Newcleus- Jam on it (ss) 12"
    Debbie Deb- Lookout Weekend 12"
    Crash Crew- On the Radio 12"
    Sparky D- Sparky's Turn 12"
    Prince- Controversy/When You Were Mine 12"

word.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    only one so far, but its pretty rad

anything else good on the Different Drummer label?

I'm late to this post, but I'm gonna pretend like I didn't see anything...

yeah, this is a nice album, nothing rare, but a good listen. His other one on Adamo is good too.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    kuumba singers[/b]- i'm gonna sing (local priv. press chorus of gospel, soul and a cover of last poet's "blessed are those who struggle")
    boss[/b]- progress of elimination 12"
    bloodstone[/b]- riddle of the sphinx
    jarrett/dejohnette[/b]- ruja and dajtya (wow! a decent ecm?!)
    carlos chavez[/b]- evolution (spooky percussion)

• That Al Green is the whitest of my white whales. I've got every other record of his, including some doubles, but I can't find that fucking record. My girlfriend (a country music fan, for Christ's sake!) found it at a record show when I wasn't looking and won't give it up.

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts

Freddy Robinson - At The Drive-In
    Chick Corea - Inner Space
    Bobbi Humphrey - Blacks And Blues
    Freddie Roulette - Sweet Funky Steel
    Harvey Mandel - Baby Batter
    Burning Spear - Garvey's Ghost
    The Germs - (GI)

• coldcutscoldcuts 388 Posts
    today was a good day

damn my camera sucks

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

this record is the shit...that second track, the breakdown with the strings is

It set me off on a Mandel Crusade, I just got "Cristo Redentor" yesterday, also found a dope Sugarcane Harris LP on MPS with him, looking for "The Snake" now...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    The 12" is Fantasy 3 - Biters In The City

that dub is

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts

It set me off on a Mandel Crusade, I just got "Cristo Redentor" yesterday, also found a dope Sugarcane Harris LP on MPS with him, looking for "The Snake" now...

Yeah, "Baby Batter" is good... Of course, I had to pay a premium for it, relative to what I generally pay for records. It was $15, which is more than I generally spend on most stuff at the place I got it from, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Yeah, "Baby Batter" is good... Of course, I had to pay a premium for it, relative to what I generally pay for records. It was $15, which is more than I generally spend on most stuff at the place I got it from, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet.

I got "lucky" and found a trashed cover version for $7, which is usually cool with me, I worry about vinyl first...

Got this today for $3, which is pretty damn on point:

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I just got these 2 phil cohran and the artistic heritage ensemble long playing 45s on Zulu in a stack of suburban 70s rock records in ziplock bags today.

what's the deal???? they're pretty nice. rare????

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    is a hot spot today. There was plenty I passed up and/or didn't know about. All these for less than $75.

Qiana -S/T --Promo record for duPont. Great ish.
    Dawn featuring Tony Orlando --finally got that beck sample...........
    Troels Trier -- Rosa -- Crazy swedish(?) jazz/rock/psyche with a break to boot.
    Ahmad jamal -- the Awakening ($4?)
    Herman Kelly -- Dance to the drummer...12"
    Wavemaker -- Where are we captain
    Miroslav Vitous -- Miroslav
    Joe Albany -- Two's Company
    Stanely Cowell -- Waiting for the Moment
    Albert Daily -- The Day after the Dawn
    Westbound -- Flaming Ember
    Clara Mondshine -- Memorymetropolis

Get to Academy and get yours. Have a latte and buy some overpirced art books.

• I just got these 2 phil cohran and the artistic heritage ensemble long playing 45s on Zulu in a stack of suburban 70s rock records in ziplock bags today.

what's the deal???? they're pretty nice. rare????

Er.... naw....... do ya think?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    records in ziplock bags

SUSPKECKTTT.