Uni Records

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

darrow fletcher, "dolly baby"

What Is This is one of my favourite soul sides, Whirlpool, too.

Am I dreaming that there's a Dave and Ansell Collins release on Uni? A 45...?

• John Fred's only BAD album is on UNI

That's why I avoided mentioning it!!!

For some reason, even though nobody bought it, Love My Soul is like the second most common John Fred album after Agnes English (on Paula), and by then he was definitely hitting a wall with the "psychedelic bubblegum" stuff. He was better on Paula.

• was stoked to dig this up a few months ago...minty(sorry SOI, Im keepin it)

that was a common 1960's photo op - soften the big bad longhair rockers by having them pose with children (also see: cover of Kim Fowley's Good Clean Fun on Imperial)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    was stoked to dig this up a few months ago...minty(sorry SOI, Im keepin it)

Haha we had this at my old record store, but the owner insisted
    on selling it on eBay - as usual when he would do this, it ended
    up selling to someone for as much or less than I would have paid

(also see: cover of Kim Fowley's Good Clean Fun on Imperial)

I don't think this "softened" Fowley's image so much
    as it ramped up the creepiness factor by 1,000!

that was a common 1960's photo op - soften the big bad longhair rockers by having them pose with children (also see: cover of Kim Fowley's Good Clean Fun on Imperial)

sorry I didnt get to say bye at the shop...my girl was very sick and I got an urgent call for a Pho delivery...didnt see ya at the Harvey Scales show

• My fave Betty Everett side on Uni: "I Can't Say No To You."

Am I dreaming that there's a Dave and Ansell Collins release on Uni? A 45...?

I don't know about D&A Collins, but I can think of at least one other attempt to break reggae in the US on Uni besides Desmond Dekker...I have a single by the Banana Boys which is pretty good...

sorry I didnt get to say bye at the shop...my girl was very sick and I got an urgent call for a Pho delivery...didnt see ya at the Harvey Scales show

Hey, Hook, it's all good...after hanging around Memphis all day Saturday and buying records at Shangri-La and Goner (see last "Weekend Finds" thread for the results), going to the Stax gift shop, eating dinner at the Barbecue Store (was that the name?), and just general messing around, we were tired so we stayed at the motel. (We had just seen/hung out with Wiley & the Checkmates the previous night in Oxford, MS.) Cool seeing you again, though!

• (also see: cover of Kim Fowley's Good Clean Fun on Imperial)

I don't think this "softened" Fowley's image so much
    as it ramped up the creepiness factor by 1,000!

yeah, wrong example! but it did happen a lot!

• Slight deviation, but still Lollipop Shoppe related, how is Fred Cole's other stuff, specifically Dead Moon?

• Slight deviation, but still Lollipop Shoppe related, how is Fred Cole's other stuff, specifically Dead Moon?

For me personally, Dead Moon is wildly uneven, but I know some Fred Cole diehards who would disagree...

• I'll ride for Fun & Games'"Grooviest Girl In The World," a regional bubblegum hit from '68 with a hard-rock energy level. However, the Uni album it came from is all day...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    This thread is giving me nightmares again. I once left the lovelites lp behind. I still get uncontrolled torret moments where i scream "fuck" due to that and people look at me like i am crazy an shit....

• Ultimate Force - I'm Not Playing

This is a great record ... UNI had some real heavy rap records in the late 80s/early 90s. Eric B. & Rakim's "Follow The Leader" being the best I think, including the "Microphone Fiend" 12" with the great 45 King remix on it.

Jazzy Jay's EP on UNI is worth seeking out as well.

This is mostly because of Jazzy Jay's Strong City being a MFG and Distro'd by Universal. I remember Jay telling me at a certain point they changed over to using only recycled vinyl to press their records in the 80's. I think it is part of the reason that his EP is only available on warped wax...

• Marvin Holmes "Ooh ooh the dragon and other monsters" lp

• Ultimate Force - I'm Not Playing

This is a great record ... UNI had some real heavy rap records in the late 80s/early 90s. Eric B. & Rakim's "Follow The Leader" being the best I think, including the "Microphone Fiend" 12" with the great 45 King remix on it.

Jazzy Jay's EP on UNI is worth seeking out as well.

This is mostly because of Jazzy Jay's Strong City being a MFG and Distro'd by Universal. I remember Jay telling me at a certain point they changed over to using only recycled vinyl to press their records in the 80's. I think it is part of the reason that his EP is only available on warped wax...

That's odd - my copy's in perfectly fine shape. No warp.

Marvin Holmes "Ooh ooh the dragon and other monsters" lp

I was not blown away by this LP. Maybe I just had too high
    expectations, but I felt like the title 45 was the best track, and
    I ended up moving it after a short while. Maybe I didn't give it
    enough time to grow on me? It just seemed like fairly unremarkable
    funk track after funk track, without much going on.

• IMO his work on Brown Door is way better.

• Marvin Holmes "Ooh ooh the dragon and other monsters" lp

enough time to grow on me? It just seemed like... funk track after funk track...

some of us like that sort of thing.

some of us like that sort of thing.

Yeah, so do I, maybe more than most people around here -
    but you CHANGED MY POST and took out the adjective "unremarkable"
    which is how I felt about the majority of tracks on that record,
    that they were by-the-numbers "funk" tracks without much sac to them.

Shit, I'm listening to the Simtec & Wylie LP on Mister Chand right
    this second ... it's "funk track after funk track" and I am most definitely

If you're going to quote me, at least quote me correctly. KTHXBYE

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts

I was not blown away by this LP.

his work on Brown Door is way better

• Emil Richards New Time Element is my stuff

as well as
    Yellow Payges, Vol 1........Devil Woman is that thing!

• Uni 45s:

Sandra Alexandra - "Ooh Baby I Love You"
    Quincy Jones - Lost Man OST 45
    Foundations - "The Bad Bad Old Days"

• some of us like that sort of thing.

Yeah, so do I, maybe more than most people around here -
    but you CHANGED MY POST and took out the adjective "unremarkable"
    which is how I felt about the majority of tracks on that record,
    that they were by-the-numbers "funk" tracks without much sac to them.

Shit, I'm listening to the Simtec & Wylie LP on Mister Chand right
    this second ... it's "funk track after funk track" and I am most definitely

If you're going to quote me, at least quote me correctly. KTHXBYE

my bad, i was going to use the strike out font for the parts i took out but couldn't figure out how to do it.

you may be right, but I guess I just don't get too picky about mostly funk LP's from that era cause they aren't too easy to find without JB being imvolved. at least i don't find them too often.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts

• Good to see someone was just as underwhelmed by Marvin Holmes' LP as I was. I wasn't feeling it either, so I didn't get it. Ditto for the Ebony Rhythm Funk Campaign, which was the last Uni album ever issued, in early '73 (not counting the late eighties revival).

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Emil Richards New Time Element is my stuff

as well as
    Yellow Payges, Vol 1........Devil Woman is that thing!

New Time Element was the first record i thought of when i clicked on this thread. not my favorite in the world but im a sucker for different time signatures and that dude can pull them off great without making it sound awkward and forced.

so that Yellow Payges LP is good? ive been wondering about it for a while now.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Good to see someone was just as underwhelmed by Marvin Holmes' LP as I was.

i was stoked when i found it early on for $2, but its not nearly as solid as i'd expect. still a pretty cool record though. especially for $2.

strange how often i used to see it too....

• so that Yellow Payges LP is good? ive been wondering about it for a while now.

uneven, but still worth hearing

another good Uni record, this time on 45:

"spare the children" by studd pump. great AM radio/K-Tel-ish white pop-rock with mildly preachy lyrics and even an open b***k, if your tastes lean that-a-way

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

enough time to grow on me? It just seemed like fairly unremarkable
    funk track after funk track, without much going on.

That's a pretty tepid LP. Rote, honestly. Brown Door.

More Uni hatt:
    I'm not a Dyna-might fan. I'm just not. Boo on all the bubblegum "psych" pop Lemon Payges stuff. Boo on Fever Tree. Found a mess of these whiteboy Uni promo singles years ago, and I want my pennies back to this day.
    Still, I've got a soft spot for Incense & Pepp-o-mints. I was younger when I first heard it on oldies (shudder) radio, and I just never really got sick of it.

I gently ride for Hicky-Burr, but Martin's Funeral is reallyreally, despite the obvious inluences. LP version >> truncated 45.

Additionally: Although the Lovelites' national pressings on Uni have been mentioned, The national pressing of the Brothers and Sisters' "Jed Clampett" and "Yeah, You Right" have not.