Uni Records

13»

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I passed on the Lollipop Shoppe LP for $100 last week & someone else I know bought it instead. I was close to buying, but decided to spend $100 on a bunch of other cheaper stuff instead, quantity over quality I guess.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts

larry carlton, "son of a preacher man"

my all time fav on uni

• The 4 Strawberry Alarm Clock LP's all have a few decent tracks. The Mudd LP has its moments. I intend to check out those two Hook LP's eventually.

Jazzy Jay's late 80's Uni produced material is

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

larry carlton, "son of a preacher man"

my all time fav on uni

i was looking at the tracklisting to larry carlton's uni album over on the both sides now website...for a man with a heavy jazz-fusion pedigree, that album has some SERIOUS elevator/lounge music going on...definitely on the "little green apples"/"by the time i get to phoenix" tip (even though i dont think those two songs were mentioned)

The 4 Strawberry Alarm Clock LP's all have a few decent tracks.

I forget which SAC album I heard, but it sounded too much to me like the Association with heavier guitars. However, if I saw one of their albums in a 99-cent bin tomorrow, I'd probably buy it for kicks. Otherwise, I'm happy with the two singles I have.

I intend to check out those two Hook LP's eventually.

The one I have is Hooked. Uneven, but it works when it works.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    And what's the consensus on Big Black? I've had the "Long Hair"/"Digging What You're Doing" single for some time, but then I found the Big Black & The Blues LP and was underwhelmed. The only good track on that album is "Long Black Sally," a goodtimey number with a great walking bass that sounds like something Redd Foxx and Scatman Crothers would have sung on Sanford & Son.

Big Black's Diggin' What You're Doing[/b] LP is the downward diggin' spiral record for me. I saw the cover and I listened to the intro and I swear it was talking to me. I ended up coming across two copies of it on the same day. I've been fiendishly hunting records ever since.
    The title track is still one of my favorite discovered songs. I'm surprised a Strutter hasn't used it yet in a mix or something. I usually play it to start any DJ set... kind of like a prayer.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Druids of Stonehenge LP. Great psych album.

And what's the consensus on Big Black? I've had the "Long Hair"/"Digging What You're Doing" single for some time, but then I found the Big Black & The Blues LP and was underwhelmed. The only good track on that album is "Long Black Sally," a goodtimey number with a great walking bass that sounds like something Redd Foxx and Scatman Crothers would have sung on Sanford & Son.

Big Black's Diggin' What You're Doing[/b] LP is the downward diggin' spiral record for me. I saw the cover and I listened to the intro and I swear it was talking to me. I ended up coming across two copies of it on the same day. I've been fiendishly hunting records ever since.

For a man who put out as many Uni albums as he did, they sure don't turn up often. I remember back in the eighties, Wax Trax Records (R.I.P.) had an empty, unplugged jukebox

The title track is still one of my favorite discovered songs. I'm surprised a Strutter hasn't used it yet in a mix or something. I usually play it to start any DJ set... kind of like a prayer.

I always heard it less as a prayer than as a show-closing benediction. "This HAS been the Dusties Party on WHPK, every Thursday night from can to can't. The ole clock on the wall sez it's time to go. Until next week, let me leave you with this message: (record begins)if you're digging what you're doing, go right on doing what you're digging...

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

For a man who put out as many Uni albums as he did, they sure don't turn up often. I remember back in the eighties, Wax Trax Records (R.I.P.) had an empty, unplugged jukebox

I always heard it less as a prayer than as a show-closing benediction. "This HAS been the Dusties Party on WHPK, every Thursday night from can to can't. The ole clock on the wall sez it's time to go. Until next week, let me leave you with this message: (record begins)if you're digging what you're doing, go right on doing what you're digging...

I figured someone used that song quite heavily. That's a nice outro.

Yeah, the funny thing is, since the day I found those two copies, I have only seen copies around online - never in the field. I have had other Big Black records, but I never keep them.

You know I have this UNI single, too and I also needle dropped the LP you mentioned and didn't like it enough to own it. But then I have no idea where Big Black is coming from either so I am curious.

Well, the blues album was a one-time-arounder. Everything else was evidently afro/funk/jazz similar to his labelmate Hugh Masekela. I looked him up on the Net - he's still around today, doing his thing.

(Hey, Counterpoint, where did you needle-drop that Big Black album at - Hi-Fi Records? They had an overpriced copy of the LP lying around for years...)

Yeah, the funny thing is, since the day I found those two copies, I have only seen copies around online - never in the field.

The first time I saw a Big Black record, some hipster record store had it on an empty, unplugged jukebox, probably as an ironic homage to the "other" Big Black (Steve Albini's punk band). It was in the eighties at Wax Trax Records (R.I.P.) in Chicago, and it was one of those old-school jukes where you could see the 45 on the turntable through the glass. Why I didn't offer to buy that single, God only knows, but I eventually caught up with it.

I have had other Big Black records, but I never keep them.

Why not? Were they THAT tepid, or you just needed the money?

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

It definitely wasn't the money. Most folks aren't really spending that bread on Big Black records around my way. I believe I may have given them away to a beatmaker-type that was either giving me beats or studio time.

It was mainly the tepidness of the records. I mean, they weren't the worst, but they weren't anything I could see myself ever wanting to play again. They were as you mentioned all "one-time-arounders," outside of Diggin' What You're Doing.

I'd re-cop them in mint condition, because I'm a dork like that. I rarely see his stuff in great shape though. I'd LOVE a mint cover of DWYD for the wall.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The only thing cool about any of those Big Black records are the covers.

Still kicking myself for passing up a copy of Lollipop Shoppe for $20 forever ago. I just couldn't bring myself to believe that a record called LOLLIPOP SHOPPE could actually be cool at the time.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I just couldn't bring myself to believe that a record called LOLLIPOP SHOPPE could actually be cool at the time.

You probably know this, but that wasn't really their name,
    and it was changed without even asking them by UNI when the
    record was released. They were really called The Weeds, and
    in fact, the most recent reissue of the Lollipop Shoppe LP was
    released under that name. It's a cool reissue, too, available on
    vinyl. The fact that you passed up a $20 copy is a whymustIcry moment.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Some guy showed me that Mars Bonfire record, but I don't know what it sounds like.

I agree about the Betty Everett, the Hugh Masakela LPs and The Lost Man soundtrack.

I just couldn't bring myself to believe that a record called LOLLIPOP SHOPPE could actually be cool at the time.

You probably know this, but that wasn't really their name,
    and it was changed without even asking them by UNI when the
    record was released.

When the band's name is the Lollipop Shoppe and the LP is called Just Colour, you're expecting it to sound like Spanky & Our Gang or the Free Design or some other sticky-sweet sunshine-pop harmony group. Of course, Fred Cole & co. proved everybody wrong, but I don't blame them for being pissed at the name change.

It definitely wasn't the money. Most folks aren't really spending that bread on Big Black records around my way. I believe I may have given them away to a beatmaker-type that was either giving me beats or studio time.

It was mainly the tepidness of the records. I mean, they weren't the worst, but they weren't anything I could see myself ever wanting to play again. They were as you mentioned all "one-time-arounders," outside of Diggin' What You're Doing.

When I mentioned that Big Black & The Blues was a one-time-arounder, I meant that was the only time he ever recorded a blues album (to my knowledge). But, the way you meant it (play once and then forget it) is mostly true, as well. Like I said before, only one standout song on Big Black's "blues" LP, and oddly enough it's the last song on the second side ("Long Black Sally"). Not much left after that.