FILING RECORDS - WHERE TO FILE...

2»

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

I like the idea of a fire crate for quick evacuation, but I'm more of a listener than a high-end collectro, so it's not like I have enough baller records to warrant the disruption to my filing system that would be necessitated by such a thing.

I practice emergency drills with my records to make sure we can get out of the apartment fast enough.

hahahaha.

I keep that crate under my son's crib. So I can throw him on top and bounce.

when he gets a little older he can just grab that one, and that will free your hands up for a second crate.

• Ronald Shannon Jackson & The Decoding Society
    Barbeque Dog (Antilles 1983)[/b]

Jazz or Rock?

(If other, please specify and justify)

i go everything alpha except:

multi artist comps
    soundtracks
    comedy
    childrens
    classical
    weird shit/sound effects/etc

and i do have a rap 12" section, but only for artists i cant remember their names of. the PE, the EPMD, the MOP etc, thats all in A-Z cuz il know where to find em. random mid 90's 12" by ??? is in the rap 12"s section.

so your record id not have that problem, cuz rock and jazz is all a-z.

i suppose id pick which genre id easier remember where i put it?

"antilles 1983" sounds more rock to me, than say, Muse 1973 or impulse 1967.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

Ronald Shannon Jackson & The Decoding Society

Jazz or Rock?

These are the dilemmas that prompted me to recombine my LPs into just two genres: Hip Hop and Everything Else. File alphabetically.

Yeap me too. I got sick off trying to make it all work, and a friend recommended this.
    HH LP/EP, HH 12", non HH LP, Non HH 12" and Non HH 45s (all in alfabetical...I use thei first name of the artist..)

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

Ronald Shannon Jackson & The Decoding Society

Jazz or Rock?

i go everything alpha except:

multi artist comps
    soundtracks
    comedy
    childrens
    classical
    weird shit/sound effects/etc

and i do have a rap 12" section, but only for artists i cant remember their names of. the PE, the EPMD, the MOP etc, thats all in A-Z cuz il know where to find em. random mid 90's 12" by ??? is in the rap 12"s section.

so your record id not have that problem, cuz rock and jazz is all a-z.

i suppose id pick which genre id easier remember where i put it?

"antilles 1983" sounds more rock to me, than say, Muse 1973 or impulse 1967.

This is the kind of answer I've been waiting for. As usual, Karlophone comes through! And your seven-inch from back like three years ago is still !

I've been thinking about moving to an AtoZ format for everything, but like you, sometimes I want a few things in genre. This format might work when i get the new shelving and go in for the total overhaul. Quick question - Do you file all your comps together? Or do you file multi-artist comps that you know by the comp name, e.g. New Orleans Funk or Funky 16 Corners, within the a to z mishmash? And do you file all label-specific compilations under the label name or under their individual comp name (e.g. Kill Rock Stars, Rock Stars Kill, A Taste of Lemon, Drinking from Puddles -- all filed under K for Kill Rock Stars because they are label samplers for that label).

For now, I'ma put Ronald Shannon Jackson and the Decoding Society's Barbeque Dog in the ROCK section under J (and not under R for Vernon Reid (though I bought it because of his guitar) and DEFINITELY not under L for Living Colour - shit pisses me off when stores are all filing Peter Green solo records under Fleetwood Mac -- dude left the band in 1970!).

Thanks,
    JRoot