FILING RECORDS - WHERE TO FILE...

JRootJRoot 861 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Ronald Shannon Jackson & The Decoding Society Barbeque Dog (Antilles 1983)[/b]Jazz or Rock?(If other, please specify and justify)

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Ronald Shannon Jackson & The Decoding Society
    Barbeque Dog (Antilles 1983)[/b]

Jazz or Rock?

(If other, please specify and justify)

These are the dilemmas that prompted me to recombine my LPs into just two genres: Hip Hop and Everything Else. File alphabetically.

• These are the dilemmas that prompted me to recombine my LPs into just two genres: Hip Hop and Everything Else. File alphabetically.

^^^pretty much^^^

File Under: Kegogi

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

Jazz or Rock?

These are the dilemmas that prompted me to recombine my LPs into just two genres: Hip Hop and Everything Else. File alphabetically.

but what to do when you have, say, a 12'' with 2 artists
    and you rate them both equal? Alpha don't work then.
    Got to file 'em at the end in their own section
    and that's NAGL

• Ronald Shannon Jackson & The Decoding Society

Jazz or Rock?

and that's NAGL

Well for me.... one section is hip hop.
    one section is Jazz.
    One section is Funk/soul/disco/afro/latin
    One section is rock..
    one section is 80s and other tacky shit.

really though I feel like just splitting it into hip hop... white artists and black artists.

Where certain actually black artists would make it into the white... and certain whites would step it up into the black. Thats kinda how the rock and funk sections are right now.

Jazz or Rock?

and that's NAGL

Well for me.... one section is hip hop.
    one section is Jazz.
    One section is Funk/soul/disco/afro/latin
    One section is rock..
    one section is 80s and other tacky shit.

really though I feel like just splitting it into hip hop... white artists and black artists.

Where certain actually black artists would make it into the white... and certain whites would step it up into the black. Thats kinda how the rock and funk sections are right now.

What do you do with your funky jazz? And your jazzy rock? And your latin jazz-rock?

b/w

[quote

although IMO there's too much segregation in the world, why impose apartheid on your vinyl?

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

I did that with my CDs a while back, but it was a short-lived experiment. I then went back to straight alphabetical, for all genres. But with the LPs it's a little different, because I pull LPs for certain occasions where it's easier to have them all grouped together.

Rap 12s for instance - I need those when I need those, and I don't need to be sorting through Roy Ayers and Donald Byrd records to find the Boogie Down Productions or Brand Nubian 12s.

Indian LPs - if I filed those straight alpha, I would never be able to find them again, just because Salil Chowdhury doesn't mean that much to me as an individual artist. I'm largely ignorant about the different artists, but I love the music. So they get a separate section.

But records like Ronald Shannon Jackson and the Decoding Society defeat the narrowness of genres.

Rap 12s for instance - I need those when I need those, and I don't need to be sorting through Roy Ayers and Donald Byrd records to find the Boogie Down Productions or Brand Nubian 12s.

I got you, holmes. You'll find the Brand Nubian records after the BDP stuff and before the Donald Byrd stuff. Feel free to holler with similar dilemmas. I'm here to help.

Seriously, though, I dig that, which is why I keep 12"s separated from LPs, and hip hop 12"s separated from other 12"s. If I DJed a disco night, I'd keep the disco 12"s separate from the rest, and so on.

• well... anything funky gets stepped up into the funk section. Pretty much anything playable gets bumped into the funk/disco/latin/afro pile.

Like... Can - Ege Bamyasi made it up into the funk section last reorganize... just because when it will get plauyed... it'll get played amongst funk cuts.

It doesn't make sense... but its kinda how my mind is organizing things...

I guess it should really be...

hip hop alphabetized....

Anything else... not playable

Anything else playable alphabetized...

then the dollar bin.... aka throw away pile.

I got you, holmes. You'll find the Brand Nubian records after the BDP stuff and before the Donald Byrd stuff. Feel free to holler with similar dilemmas. I'm here to help.

Seriously, though, I dig that, which is why I keep 12"s separated from LPs, and hip hop 12"s separated from other 12"s. If I DJed a disco night, I'd keep the disco 12"s separate from the rest, and so on.

so, er.... you haven't got them in just the 2 sections then....

this stuff is getting complex

so, er.... you haven't got them in just the 2 sections then....

this stuff is getting complex

These are the dilemmas that prompted me to recombine my LPs[/b] into just two genres: Hip Hop and Everything Else. File alphabetically.

12"s and 7"s are filed separately.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I'm a huge proponent of filing everything together. It makes for a more interesting listening experience. When separated, sections can be ignored from time to time. Unfortunately, I had to start breaking things into genres due to shelving restraints.

Even when I had everything together I still kept 12" singles separate. There were some situations where I had hard time classifying some items as EPs vs 12" singles. That was easier for hip hop because they have the acapella/inst. But for rock, and other 12" singles, it is really hard to differentiate between EPs and 12" singles. I used to go by 45 vs 33 rpm, but that did not work. Now it's mainly based on the whether or not I play them out.

• See im all about organizing and suborganizing.. it just seems that its too impossible to get everything to fit in a section to really break shit down.

The fartherst I've ever gone was...

Rock....
    Hard/Classic Rock...
    Psych Rock/Garage
    Folk

Funky section
    Soul
    Disco
    Funk
    Foreign - Afrobeat, Latin

Hip hop...

12"s of hip hop
    12"s of INstrumental hip hop and Dancy electronic stuff
    LPs
    Break records, scratch records, wierd other ambient or spoken records

Jazz...

Into 4 tiers of impressiveness.... This was a bad system though... but as shit got noticed it would advance in the ranks.

80s pop stuff....

which was small at the time...

45s...

hip hop related.
    Origonals
    reissues.

then I had 2-3 crates out which I would put shit i forsaw playing in the near future.

I'm a huge proponent of filing everything together. It makes for a more interesting listening experience. When separated, sections can be ignored from time to time.

I hear that. I should also note that I have another 2x4 expedit closer to my turntables that have three additional sections: regular listens that I keep pulling out to the extent that it's not worth the trouble of filing them back (includes personal favorites and friends' favorites for entertaining); records I haven't listened to yet; and records I'm getting rid of. But the regular listens and the records I haven't listened to yet are all mixed up to keep things interesting.

I like the idea of a fire crate for quick evacuation, but I'm more of a listener than a high-end collectro, so it's not like I have enough baller records to warrant the disruption to my filing system that would be necessitated by such a thing.

• I like the idea of a fire crate for quick evacuation, but I'm more of a listener than a high-end collectro, so it's not like I have enough baller records to warrant the disruption to my filing system that would be necessitated by such a thing.

I practice emergency drills with my records to make sure we can get out of the apartment fast enough.

I like the idea of a fire crate for quick evacuation, but I'm more of a listener than a high-end collectro, so it's not like I have enough baller records to warrant the disruption to my filing system that would be necessitated by such a thing.

I practice emergency drills with my records to make sure we can get out of the apartment fast enough.

Have you considered a fire pole?

[quoteI practice emergency drills with my records to make sure we can get out of the apartment fast enough.
    seriously (very)

what contingency plans do the folks in California have for a quake?
    Like vinyl + tremors must be NAGL, all personal safety concerns aside.

Has anyone gone to extremes, like a rubberised crate system, or hydraulic sprung floor?

or does no-one give a fkkk right now?

• but what to do when you have, say, a 12'' with 2 artists and you rate them both equal?

I go with the A-side or the person who's name is first. I put Fab 5 in the f's; Redman & Method Man in the r's; etc. If it's from a movie I put the 12" (like the Juice 12") I put it in the soundtrack section. I realize I "lose" records and waste time when in crunch mode cuz I can't remember which movie the 12" that has that Musiq jawn I like, but then it just doesn't get played.

• but what to do when you have, say, a 12'' with 2 artists
    and you rate them both equal?

come on dawg. doubles. One for each section.

• I guess I'm just anal, but my rakords go like this:

Hip hop 80'-85'
    Electro
    Hip hop 86'-90'
    Hip hop 91'-95'
    Hip hop 96'-00'
    Hip Hop 00'-current
    Hip Hop current mainstream

Soul / Funk pre '75
    Breaks Soul / Funk
    Soul / Funk post '75

Disco / Boogie 12"s
    80's / pop LPs & 12"s

Psych / folk / Private rock rareities
    Mainstream psych / folk / rock
    Rock Breaks
    Prog / kraut rock
    electronic / jazz rock fusion
    spoken workd / odd ball

funky soul jazz / jazz breaks
    str8 up jazz

reggare / afro / latin / etc.

& that's just LP's and 12"s...don't get me started on 45s!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    what contingency plans do the folks in California have for a quake?

Any earthquake big enough to knock over a shelf of records is bound cause bigger problems, so it's kind of a moot point.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    my system is

Boogie/Disco/Moder/80's
    Hip-Hop
    Breaks
    Everything else alphabetically
    Crap

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    my system is

(non-alphabetical)

Soul/Funk
    Rock (60's/70's)
    Rock (punk/indie/metal)
    Reggae
    Folk
    Oldies
    Hip Hop
    Country
    Latin/Brazilian
    Jazz
    Stuff to Sell

Unfortunately, only about 30% of my
    records are actually "filed" like this,
    the rest are in one huge unsorted shelf
    or in piles all over my floor

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

hahahaha.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

hahahaha.

I keep that crate under my son's crib. So I can throw him on top and bounce.

• I like the idea of a fire crate for quick evacuation, but I'm more of a listener than a high-end collectro, so it's not like I have enough baller records to warrant the disruption to my filing system that would be necessitated by such a thing.

hahahaha.

when he gets a little older he can just grab that one, and that will free your hands up for a second crate.

hahahaha.

But where do you file him?

• But records like Ronald Shannon Jackson and the Decoding Society defeat the narrowness of genres.

Hey JRoot, how about a section dedicated to records that do just this...

• what contingency plans do the folks in California have for a quake?

Any earthquake big enough to knock over a shelf of records is bound cause bigger problems, so it's kind of a moot point.

ive heard stories of records flying across the room, but never any out and out breaking (although it might be different for 78's)