CARS

13»

Comments

• I'd love to meet the bloke who thought a faux woodstain paintjob was a good look for american cars

• sergserg 682 Posts
    I really like the old FJ60 Land Cruisers- '84, '85

Saying that though, anyone know anything bout the new FJ Cruisers?

Yes! Bullet-proof dependability. My 88 FJ-62:

really? I was always under the impression that these had common overheating issues. Isn't it the same inline 6 that was in the early 80's supra/cressidas? I could be totally wrong on this seeing as I never actually delt with any of the fj's.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    I've got a 67 Bel Air that I got my dude working on restoring for me right now...

Just like that but 4-door. Shit's like 17.5 ft. long. Right now it's got a straight six 250 in it since that's what it came with, but we're thinking about swapping it out for either a hybrid, or a bio-diesel since the thing's a boat to save on gas. We're also chopping the top a couple inches, doing custom body work along the bottom half to extend it (think body kit), extending the grill vertically, re-shaping the rear bumper and tail lights, shaving all door handles and locks to put it on keyless everything, air-ride, custom interior, stripping a ton of chrome, etc, etc, etc. Shit's gonna be mean as all hell. Plus the body guy I'm working with is one of the best I've ever seen. Car cost me 500 to pick up, probably gonna have about 30-40 in it when it's all done, but it will be the only car like it in existence.

The other car I've always wanted that's super raer is a Opel Kadett B. It's like a baby muscle nova. Slightly larger than a ford festiva, but all heart. The fastback rallye version is that dude.

Oh, the things you could do with that car...
    If anyone ever finds a line on one, holler at me, I'll buy it tomorrow.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    WOW. That hing is horribly ugly. I really dont get why you'd want all that airflow under the rear end (ayo!). Unless you like cars that lose traction at high speed.
    man thats ugly. If were hollering concepts, than:

it looks like a sting ray (the animal..or amphibian or mammal or whatever, not the 'vette). I like stingrays. not too concerned about losing traction, i can't even afford a picture of the car.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts

Two-minute photoshop version of the changes:

• I really like the old FJ60 Land Cruisers- '84, '85

Damn, that is really nice....clean...

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    I really like the old FJ60 Land Cruisers- '84, '85

Damn, that is really nice....clean...

i've always liked these. if i had to get an SUV i'd get an FJ cruiser..

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts

• I really like the old FJ60 Land Cruisers- '84, '85

really? I was always under the impression that these had common overheating issues. Isn't it the same inline 6 that was in the early 80's supra/cressidas? I could be totally wrong on this seeing as I never actually delt with any of the fj's.

The 88-90 FJ62's ran the 3FE (fuel injected inline 6). In the FJ circles I've been involved with I haven't heard of the overheating issues. They were engineered for expedition use, and that would definitely be a significant liability. I know that head gaskets were a significant problem for the 90's inline sixes (LandCruisers, 4Runner, etc.). I'm about 400 miles from hitting 200K. I've had it for about 5 years now, and have only needed routine service.

AKO:
    Here's a 78 Triumph Spitfire for 2700 in my local craigslist:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/car/565939567.html

• man personally I'd go with the z600. I love small japanese cars. I wish I could find a photo of this dude eric b's 73 z600. It's was amazingly clean but that was a few years back. Dude had some venolia pistons, 1300 crank and rods.

this ain't it but its clean

This was a good friend's 1977 Honda CVCC. I was trying to find a better scan, but this will do. It was his parents car growing-up. He drove it all through high-school and college. It was pretty darn clean and kicked-ass in the snow when you were running chains. Unfortunately, he had sold it a few years after college. He had rear-ended a truck (with a big hitch). He addressed it cosmetically, but although he was quite mechanically-inclined, could never get it reliable (constantly overheated, multiple head gaskets, etc.).

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    This is one of my grails.

...i wasnt limiting myself to the fastback in my first post, pretty much ANY variation of the Type III would be welcome in my book. beautiful, simple cars.

That grey notch looks really nice.

Here's the notch I used to have. '67. Picked it up for $3700, drove it for about 2 years , and sold it for $3500. Highly recommended.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Here's my dream:

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL fastback. The one old muscle car I really lust after.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts

only 1 reason to have a driverslicense.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Just bought a 2007 Honda Accord for my wife over the weekend. Neither of us has owned a car in quite some time as we've both been driving SUV's and trucks for the longest. I gotta say that I'm really impressed with just about everything about our new Accord that more or less looks like this one...

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Ahhh... the mini moke. I have a 70 some year old friend that is getting one of these shipped from the UK to the states right now and it's all he can talk about. At least he brings pizza by the shop, so I have something to eat while he tells his stories.

dude is livin the monte carlo dream.

• Yeah! Goggo cars are AWESOME!

these are so amazing. this might be the only car thread i find myself checking repeatedly.

another goggo.

my dad sports one of these nowadays.

and a nsu

another goggo.

my dad sports one of these nowadays.

and a nsu

thats one of the grossest scooters ive ever seen but those cars are TOP NOTCH.

aka did you get your ss yet?

is this an "a.k.a." i'm not getting or is this a question directed at me?

• I'm not a car guy by any stretch - I could probably drive Civics for the rest of my life and be happy about it - but there's something about the 1976 Eldorado convertible that just makes me crazy.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    I'm not a car guy by any stretch - I could probably drive Civics for the rest of my life and be happy about it - but there's something about the 1976 Eldorado convertible that just makes me crazy.

I'm the same about the 67 continental drop.

• I'm the same about the 67 continental drop.

1961-1965 Lincoln Continental convertibles are the greatest cruisers ever, IMO.

is this an "a.k.a." i'm not getting or is this a question directed at me?
    mm yes. didnt you poast you gonna get a honda ?
    or was that day?

• when discussing motors why do americans need to quote the year the car was pressed?

I can understand if its an old thing from the 60-70's but saying "I've got a 2007 honda prepmobile" sounds daft

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I'm not a car guy by any stretch - I could probably drive Civics for the rest of my life and be happy about it - but there's something about the 1976 Eldorado convertible that just makes me crazy.

I'm the same about the 67 continental drop.

I would submit to unspeakable indignities to own either of these cars.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

Ako- what model/year is this beamer? I've seen some cool beater 2002s and the bigger 6-series of this era, but never this model.

the early 2002s are really cool also because m3 parts up through the eighties will bolt right on (motors, susp, etc.)

its a 2000CS. not sure if they were sold in america, due to those headlights. all headlights in america were sealed-beam up until the mid-80s, so thats why the front-end styling was shitty while europe was making great strides. we were limited in what we could do.

i'd love to have a 2002, there are two (maybe 3) in my town that people are using as everyday drivers. im jealous.

the 2000c and 2000cs were sold in the states from '66 to '67. The 'c' stands for coupe, and the 's' stands for 'sport' which meant it had two carburators instead of one. It the it also had a higher compression ratio. Both models came in automatic and manual versions, although the 'cs' version only came in manual. The lights in the photo above are the european versions. And there is indeed american versions (not desirable), however each were/are perfectly legal in the states.
    It looks fast, but only has a 4 cylinder engine. A 2002tii engine can be dropped in with ease which will add about 30hp.
    These can be found for 3k, but they are prone to rust. You will have to spend at least 5k-6k to get one that will survive.

I have a 72' 2002tii which was originally 'Taiga' green (very rare color [nerd alert]) which I am currently restoring...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60/darmen/front.jpg" alt="" />

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60/darmen/bumper.jpg" alt="" />