CARS

Comments

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    This is one of my grails.

...i wasnt limiting myself to the fastback in my first post, pretty much ANY variation of the Type III would be welcome in my book. beautiful, simple cars.

• Why not buy a more modern econobox with really ugly lines & no style?

Yeah, that's why so many people are driving around classic Hondas and Saabs... :eyeroll:

Why not buy a more modern econobox with really ugly lines & no style?

thank you. regardless of the performance, i'd rather not drive than be seen in an ugly, soul-less box. all the shit now just looks so cheap to me...at least within my price range.

that said, there are plenty of $50,000+ brand new cars i would drive every day.

Yeah, that's why so many people are driving around classic Hondas and Saabs... :eyeroll:

you still havent shown me a car, that could be available for $3000, that you would prefer. you mentioned that the datsun was a "poor man's porsche", so i take it you like porsches. although i like the datsun, we agree on the porsche. what else would you suggest? and do you just mean a 911? i'm sure the datsun performs better than a 924, 914, 912....but maybe not.

either way you seem to be about performance over looks, so what are some solid, fun to drive, fast cars within my price range?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

thank you. regardless of the performance, i'd rather not drive than be seen in an ugly, soul-less box. all the shit now just looks so cheap to me...at least within my price range.

you guys must not do that much driving. Id go for the most fuel efficient, most reliable late model car that i could find reasonably used.

Its dope to have a vintage ride thats hella clean....... as your second car.

you still havent shown me a car, that could be available for $3000, that you would prefer. you mentioned that the datsun was a "poor man's porsche", so i take it you like porsches. although i like the datsun, we agree on the porsche. what else would you suggest? and do you just mean a 911? i'm sure the datsun performs better than a 924, 914, 912....

I like the styling and performance of 90s Camrys, Accords, and Jettas. Why not get another Jetta?

• Its dope to have a vintage ride thats hella clean....... as your second car.

Finally someone gets it.

you guys must not do that much driving. Id go for the most fuel efficient, most reliable late model car that i could find reasonably used.

Its dope to have a vintage ride thats hella clean....... as your second car.

i guess i should have stated earlier that i'd rarely be using this vehicle, so performance and economics arent that important to me. i do my around-town traveling on a moped that gets 180+ MPG...

you still havent shown me a car, that could be available for $3000, that you would prefer. you mentioned that the datsun was a "poor man's porsche", so i take it you like porsches. although i like the datsun, we agree on the porsche. what else would you suggest? and do you just mean a 911? i'm sure the datsun performs better than a 924, 914, 912....

I like the styling and performance of 90s Camrys, Accords, and Jettas. Why not get another Jetta?

i agree with the jetta. this is another one i'm considering. my passat was great, fun to drive, pretty reliable...never had engine trouble (except my radiator needed to be replaced).

im really partial to the 80's golf GTIs. how do you feel about those?

• either way you seem to be about performance over looks, so what are some solid, fun to drive, fast cars within my price range?

I was trying to speak performance relative to those old Hondas and Saabs. Those things are in junkyards for a reason. As time goes by, performance gets better.

What mechanic is going to have parts for these cars in the event that they break down, anyhow?

You're not going to get great performance for $3K unless you go more modern. Maybe a mid-90s Celica?

i agree with the jetta. this is another one i'm considering. my passat was great, fun to drive, pretty reliable...never had engine trouble (except my radiator needed to be replaced).

I don't like hatchbacks unless they're icons like MGs or Bugs.

But I suppose those Golfs are one of the rare combos of performance and style (if you like hatchbacks) you're going to find for $3K. We grew up with "performance" cars that didn't live up to their history -- Camaros/Firebirds, Mustangs, Chargers, etc.

I don't like hatchbacks unless they're icons like MGs or Bugs.

But I suppose those Golfs are one of the rare combos of performance and style (if you like hatchbacks) you're going to find for $3K. We grew up with "performance" cars that didn't live up to their history -- Camaros/Firebirds, Mustangs, Chargers, etc.

yeah, ive found a couple in the 500-1500 range already. i think its my best bet.

More people aren't driving these cars because people dont appreciate these older vehicles."So many people" dont have the patience or knowledge to keep these on the road. I don't know where you're at, but I see plenty of older rides around, lots of daily drivers too. I saw a nice 427 cobra while I was walking down the block this afternoon.

Granted, alot of people don't give a shit about their car either, as long as it starts every morning.

Whats in an eyeroll anyway? Unagi? Avacado? Roe?

Ako-

maybe keep an eye on here if you want a type III

the samba

• "So many people" dont have the patience or knowledge to keep these on the road.

The reason nobody's keeping these cars on the road is because it's a better reward and value to fix up a real car.

Ako-

maybe keep an eye on here if you want a type III

the samba

whoa...thanks! this site is handy.

• radrad 51 Posts
    BMW ISETTA

i would love an isetta. haha

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    or a goggo? (glas) mobile.

• radrad 51 Posts
    Yeah! Goggo cars are AWESOME!

• sergserg 682 Posts
    man personally I'd go with the z600. I love small japanese cars. I wish I could find a photo of this dude eric b's 73 z600. It's was amazingly clean but that was a few years back. Dude had some venolia pistons, 1300 crank and rods.

this ain't it but its clean

• That BMW is the only tolerable car in there. Why don't you get a precious-looking Vespa while you're at it?

Those Nissan Zs are hilarious! A poor man's Porsche. They're dirt cheap for a reason.

The '66 Nova is nice. I'd take a '68 or '69 first.

??? what would you get for $3000? i'd love to know. probably not enough money for you.

I know, right? This emasculated douche was probably forced to give up his cool car to drive the kids around and do errands in his wife's minivan...

• "So many people" dont have the patience or knowledge to keep these on the road.

The reason nobody's keeping these cars on the road is because it's a better reward and value to fix up a real car.

Your trying to tell me its more rewarding to fix up a 90s jetta or camry than a vintage whip, whether its japanese, german, american?

I guess thats all personal preference, but I would prefer something with a little more style than a vehicular version of a dollar bin record.

As far as value, do you know what some of these older volkswagens are fetchin these days? i think you'd be hard pressed to find someone that paid 50-100K for a souped up camry.

You sound mechanically challenged.

• No, no, no. I see where I've been confusing.

My points:

1) With $3K to spend, why not get a better performing car from a modern era that still has some decent styling like a 90s Camry, Jetta, Accord, or Maxima?
    2) If you want a collectible, why dig up an old Honda or Saab, put all of that time into it, only to get a car that looks cute but has no performance?

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    I worked for a used car salesman for about a year 3 years ago and spent a lot of time at auctions. If you can find a smalltime dealer with a dealer's license and membership to an auction, I'd definitely recommend trying to convince him to take you to one. If you're mechanically adept and have an eye for the tricks of the trade (power-washed engine bays, blown-out air ride suspension, foam insulation patch jobs, etc) you can get really amazing deals. A lot of older and classic cars roll through the auctions that I went to as well.

We sold a friend of mine a 1992 Acura Legend with 150,000 on it for $500 (we bought it at auction for $300.) It had some minor electrical issues which were easily fixed. He bought the car as a junker and expected it to last him 6 months. 3 years later, it's still running and has over 220,000 miles on it. He does minimal maintenance. Though that case is a rarity and that car probably shouldn't be running anymore, I've seen it happen a handful of times. The used car salesmen bought a Range Rover for his wife, but still rolls around in an 1983 Mercedes-Benz 300D. That thing is a Frickin' tank. If you're cool with running a diesel engine, you might want to look into one of those. They're still around and reasonably easy to find and go for around $3,000 in decent condition.

All that said, I drive an '08 Camry Hybrid. It may be a soulless box, but I am currently enjoying an average of around 48 MPG with a lot of serious city and highway driving.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    ako
    if you like Z's, stick w/ the 1970-72 240z models

they have a torque-heavy straight six that can easily be bumped up in the performance department with some port/polish work, larger pipes and a different carb setup (i like the triple side-draft Webber setup, personally). They're pretty fun to drive and imo, they do not look quite as "i have a couple ounces of crystal in my hubcap" as the later model 280's

• sergserg 682 Posts
    yeah i've always been a fan of this dude's 71 240

• No, no, no. I see where I've been confusing.

My points:

1) With $3K to spend, why not get a better performing car from a modern era that still has some decent styling like a 90s Camry, Jetta, Accord, or Maxima?
    2) If you want a collectible, why dig up an old Honda or Saab, put all of that time into it, only to get a car that looks cute but has no performance?

I feel you on that, I was just guessin that from the examples posted, he was lookin for something a little more out of the ordinary than a saab or a camry. I also gleened that performance wasn't as much of an issue, seeing as most of those prolly pack less than 100 ponies.

To your average driver, a honda is prolly the best bet, but cmon, were dealing with an renasaince ( sp) man here. style>perf/reliability/cost to operate.

how about instead, we argue blue vs red cars. I say blue.

one of my fav. grails:

hard pressed to find one for 3k though.

though my favorite ride is:

1953 AMF Roadmaster Luxury Liner (yes pee wee)

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    not related to the post, but i just like the curvature on this thing

its almost like a mullet, business in the front, party in the back (though i really dont like the front)

• WOW. That hing is horribly ugly. I really dont get why you'd want all that airflow under the rear end (ayo!). Unless you like cars that lose traction at high speed.
    man thats ugly. If were hollering concepts, than:

• I really like the old FJ60 Land Cruisers- '84, '85

Saying that though, anyone know anything bout the new FJ Cruisers?

Yes! Bullet-proof dependability. My 88 FJ-62: