Cock sauce appreciation

Comments

• On a slightly different note:

Salsa Valentina is incredible on any seafood--especially ceviche (ask for it at your favorite Mexican spot next time)--and eggs.

real talk.

Now this is my new favorite. Really hot and good on all kinds of stuff.

• is pickapeppa really hotsauce though? Seems more like a steaksauce or something. It is my favorite shit ever though.

Anyone here had Lizano sauce... its costa rican... that shit is Frickin' bangin.

i think i gave linzano a shout out earlier in the thread.
    good stuff

i mean, pickapeppa is jersauce, but its made with peppers and it will make your nose run

• those riding for crystal...dont judge a hotsauce by how many people like it. that shit is salty (main reason why people like it) and doesnt have much flavor or heat:

We're not going off some popularity contest. We actually like it better here in the south where American hotsauce is from. Not to mention that Tabasco has almost no appeal amoung southern Blacks, due to it bitter, yet relevant, taste. Tabasco is about as equally salty, but that salty taste is drowned out by the vinegar.

You will not find Tabasco at any Soul food/Black BBQ restaurant here in Houston. It would never get used, not because of some unwritten rule, it's not complimentary to the taste of the food.

Tabasco makes everything taste like tabasco.

tabasco has less sodium. definitely more vinegar and has its distinct taste.
    my hunch about why crystal is so ubiquitous is that its the cheapest thing on the market.

anyway, to each his own...and you appear to be speaking for the whole southern black experience, so i should fall back.

but i wont.

the battle continues

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts

Surprised nobody has brought this up yet.
    Not too hot, but real good flava.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts

Surprised nobody has brought this up yet.
    Not too hot, but real good flava.

Yes! That and the "people sticking their tongue out" hot sauce as mentioned above, both of which can be found at my favorite store at Farmers Market here in L.A., are great. Marie Sharps is fantastic, too. Forget those novelty macho habanero death sauces. It's all about flavor. Although a mouth of fire can give you nice little psychoactive headrush! I became a hot sauce fanatic when I discovered at an early age that I don't have a sense of smell (yet, contrary to popular belief, I can taste. However, I enjoy or am repulsed by certain food based on it's visual texture. It's difficult to explain.). My stepdad and I grow peppers and make our own hotsauce.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    is pickapeppa really hotsauce though? Seems more like a steaksauce or something. It is my favorite shit ever though.

Anyone here had Lizano sauce... its costa rican... that shit is Frickin' bangin.

i think i gave linzano a shout out earlier in the thread.
    good stuff

i mean, pickapeppa is jersauce, but its made with peppers and it will make your nose run

I not only rep the souther Black experience, but simultaneously the Jamaican/Carribbean American experience. Pickapeppa falls into that latter category.

Pickapeppa is worcestershire/steak sauce with kick. Basically spicy A1. Check Walkerwood's for jerk rub. AYOOOO!!!

There really SHOULDN'T be anything known as jerk sauce. Authentic jerk treatment is a rub. onceagainayoooooO!!!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    There really SHOULDN'T be anything known as jerk sauce. Authentic jerk treatment is a rub. onceagainayoooooO!!!

Isnt Authentic Jerk really about the specific wood used for the grill/pit along w/ the spice rub? Over time it has morphed into many applications/techniques.

Im making a Jerk Lamb tomorrow.

Isnt Authentic Jerk really about the specific wood used for the grill/pit along w/ the spice rub? Over time it has morphed into many applications/techniques.

Yeah, I cut up some pork loins and jerked them tonight, inspired by this thread.

I'm not sure about the specific wood type and all that. Best I've had was made over a rusted out oil drum burning driftwood in Port Royal over 10 years ago.

By treatment, I meant the marinate/seasoning, not necessarily how it's grilled.

Btw, I have also had some good jerk over charcoal too. Whenever I make a jerk (ayoooo!), I do it over charcoal myself.

Yeah, I cut up some pork loins and jerked them tonight, inspired by this thread.

I'm not sure about the specific wood type and all that. Best I've had was made over a rusted out oil drum burning driftwood in Port Royal over 10 years ago.

Btw, I have also had some good jerk over charcoal too. Whenever I make a jerk (ayoooo!), I do it over charcoal myself.

The "traditional" wood used is Pimento from which the All-Spice Berry comes from.

The rub originates w/ the Maroons who preserved their meat w/ the rub.

I tried somethin' different. I made a yogurt jerk marinade for my Lamb shoulder. We'll see how it goes.

The "traditional" wood used is Pimento from which the All-Spice Berry comes from.

The rub originates w/ the Maroons who preserved their meat w/ the rub.

I tried somethin' different. I made a yogurt jerk marinade for my Lamb shoulder. We'll see how it goes.

I just googled pimento wood and that's probably what the guy was cooking the jerk over in Port Royal. It kinda does look like driftwood.

Thanks for the science! I think I'll order some pimento wood from pimentowood.com

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    fresh hot peppers & chilli > any hot sauce

Ok, hot sauce is more convenient to use, but fresh peppers simply taste much better IMO. I usually keep fresh, small green and red chillies, a couple of habaneros and other varieties (if available) in the fridge and that??s all I need. If you really need hot sauce it??s really simple to prepare it from scratch.

fresh hot peppers & chilli > any hot sauce

Ok, hot sauce is more convenient to use, but fresh peppers simply taste much better IMO. I usually keep fresh, small green and red chillies, a couple of habaneros and other varieties (if available) in the fridge and that??s all I need. If you really need hot sauce it??s really simple to prepare it from scratch.

Of course, but Hot Sauce is a different animal really.

Mango/thyme/habanero/garlic/White wine vinegar/Sea salt - melded & marinated =

Infused liquids have a different mouf-feel than fresh peppers. Both have their advantages.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

those riding for crystal...dont judge a hotsauce by how many people like it. that shit is salty (main reason why people like it) and doesnt have much flavor or heat:

We're not going off some popularity contest. We actually like it better here in the south where American hotsauce is from. Not to mention that Tabasco has almost no appeal amoung southern Blacks, due to it bitter, yet relevant, taste. Tabasco is about as equally salty, but that salty taste is drowned out by the vinegar.

You will not find Tabasco at any Soul food/Black BBQ restaurant here in Houston. It would never get used, not because of some unwritten rule, it's not complimentary to the taste of the food.

I'm with you 100% on recognizing Crystal as an overwhelming favorite to Tabasco among black Texans. But once you cross that Louisiana border, it's a whole 'nother ballgame.

In fact, Lousiana creole red beans and rice with anything but Tabasco on it is kinda bush league to me...as in inauthentic. Crystal indeed works alright and I seldom mind switching it up when I have to, but to not recognize the importance of Tabasco within Louisiana for people of all races seems like nothing but some Texas-based projection to me.

Not necessarily my preferred brand, but this right here...

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    hotsauces are like golf clubs, you need different sauces for different things.

The Private Press of Hotsauce. This stuff is even made with local Houston beer.

Oh yeah, don't hate on Crystal.

There's some killer stuff I had from Mexico for seafood but I forgot what it was.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I am currently rocking about a bottle a month of this tasty stuff:

Just finished a bottle of this and that's after diluting the last bit with water to keep it going. Must refill.

This is my all-time favourite in the bottled category.

Of course, nothing beats homemade.
    Ali's Roti Shop by my place has amazing jars of their own pepper sauce and it is never the same twice.
    The Strutters at Day's Toronto dinner can tell you - the salsa at El Bodegon is an almost perfect balance of heat and flavour.

Can't find an image, but hot coriander chutney hits the spot like nothing else.

This is my favourite pepper - good heat, great taste. My mom makes amazing pepper sauce with it and carrots.

I am still looking for a good harissa recipe - any suggestions are welcome!

• Maggi sauces rule my world, especially the sweet chili sauce.

Also, Bengali hot mustard sauce called kasundi, try it with any fried food. Traditionally it's eaten with spinach but it tastes good on so many foods. Hard to find, though.

• There's some killer stuff I had from Mexico for seafood but I forgot what it was.

Was it called "Nariz sudorosa de un perro?" (Not a joke this an actual hotsauce.)

those riding for crystal...dont judge a hotsauce by how many people like it. that shit is salty (main reason why people like it) and doesnt have much flavor or heat:

I'm with you 100% on recognizing Crystal as an overwhelming favorite to Tabasco among black Texans. But once you cross that Louisiana border, it's a whole 'nother ballgame.

In fact, Lousiana creole red beans and rice with anything but Tabasco on it is kinda bush league to me...as in inauthentic. Crystal indeed works alright and I seldom mind switching it up when I have to, but to not recognize the importance of Tabasco within Louisiana for people of all races seems like nothing but some Texas-based projection to me.

You just saying that because you found out that I'm secretly a yankee. HA!

P.S., "the south" refers to more than Louisiana and Texas. Just an FYI.

But, yes, play on, playa

Yes, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida are also the South. But that's it.

I do believe that when I go to Florida I have to set my watch to EAST COAST[/b] time.

- RIP Pimp C

I do believe that when I go to Florida I have to set my watch to EAST COAST[/b] time.

Very true, but Florida was where I was born...so it's GOTTA be the South.

• That Sirriaccha stuff is good but u guys seem to rep it every four months on here.

Homeade Hot Sauce is the new black.

This thread makes me want to make my own hot sauce. Does anyone have recipes they want to share?

(Mr. Pcmr your dad's recipe looks amazing but I am thinking of a thinner sauce like the bottled stuff everyone is arguing about, as opposed to to the more like pesto/relish consistency)

• there are a few spots that i know of in garden grove that make their own sriracha. its really good!

• This thread being named "COCK SAUCE APPRECIATION" I don't know about this one

ahahaha... "cock sauce". i'm usin' that one from now on, son!

should i start a "FAVORITE COLLOQUIALISMS FOR YOUR SKEET SKEET" thread or would that be like in really poor taste?

i could use something foolish to take my mind off the Paul Nice thread for a minute.

This thread makes me want to make my own hot sauce. Does anyone have recipes they want to share?

habaneros
    thyme
    salt
    onions
    garlic
    carrots

put in a food processor & then add to a saucepan/ let it simmer for about a haff an hour.

put it back into a blender w/ some vinegar(any type) blend ...cool...Bottle.

u can add ginger,oregano,peppercorns,honey,brown sugar...

Keep it simple.

• This thread makes me want to make my own hot sauce. Does anyone have recipes they want to share?

habaneros
    thyme
    salt
    onions
    garlic
    carrots

put in a food processor & then add to a saucepan/ let it simmer for about a haff an hour.

put it back into a blender w/ some vinegar(any type) blend ...cool...Bottle.

u can add ginger,oregano,peppercorns,honey,brown sugar...

Keep it simple.

Yes! Thank you thank you. I am definitely gonna experiment with this. Gotta plant some hot peppers in th back yard this spring.

lately i've been rocking the straight adrenochrome

• autoauto 198 Posts
    this was in my house and i started using it... its good

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Just finished a bottle of this and that's after diluting the last bit with water to keep it going. Must refill.

El Yucateco is definitely on point too. Green more so than red.