Company Flow

Comments

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    J-Treds had one of the illest rap lines ever: "On the mic I got more presence ("Present."s) than attendance in a class of schizophrenics; Here, Here."

Gets zero stars for conflating schizophrenia with multiple personalty disorder.

^^^ gets zero stars for conflating rapp listeners with people who care about this distinction! ^^^

Yeah, at least he wasn't trying to make a rhyme about Michelangelo and the Sixteenth Chapel.

• i could never stand their rapping.

• I do not like it.

• It's weird to talk about albums you once thought were really great and you still think that maybe they are but you haven't listened to them in quite some time. I think I'd rather put on "The Cold Vein" nowadays and just hear El-P at his best behind the boards.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    J-Treds had one of the illest rap lines ever: "On the mic I got more presence ("Present."s) than attendance in a class of schizophrenics; Here, Here."

Gets zero stars for conflating schizophrenia with multiple personalty disorder.

^^^ gets zero stars for conflating rapp listeners with people who care about this distinction! ^^^

You float like gravity. DEAL.

• This makes more sense then your usual postings. Stick with it, it's a great look.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I really love the opening line by Big Juss:

Yo' eyes get, blind like Tupac gettin shot in the lobby

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i could never stand their rapping.

or their muddled ass beats....

dude talk about muddled beats - anyone ever hear that EP Big Jus did called Black Mamba Serums? man I couldn't get all the way through it more than once.

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts

dude talk about muddled beats - anyone ever hear that EP Big Jus did called Black Mamba Serums? man I couldn't get all the way through it more than once.

I had the first one he put out, Justoleum or something. was pretty bad but dude had a TERRIBLE song up there called tongue sandwich. gafflin whips was aight though.

• I think the records has some great songs, and then some songs that just come off like noise. Their delivery went from OK to really bad, and lyrics from really great too trying to hard. The beats went from "hards as...", well, you know, to a bit noisy.

I think it made for an uneven album but some great songs.

The production was a definite step away from the smooth boom bap that was dominating the era. I mean jacking Isely loops with boom bap drums a la erick sermion when i say "smooth boom bap". They took it back to '85 in a way, bringing stripped down, raw beats but with a post-apocalytpic future sound to them. sometimes, like i said, it didn't work too well.

• debardebar 215 Posts
    I think I'd rather put on "The Cold Vein" nowadays and just hear El-P at his best behind the boards.

I can hardly listen to all the underground stuff around this era nowadays, but I still very much like The Cold Vein. I've never really been a fan of El-P's production, but this album just hits it right.

I think that album made underground hip hop wack. Not necessarily them but what it spawned.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i like this album a lot but when ppl try to advocate for it by arguing its IMPORTANCE i get all zzzzzz

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I still like "vital nerve." I want to like Co Flow these days, but i just get bored too quickly with the sound.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I can tell you one thing. FUCK EL P. He is a biter.

when Co Flow came down to Sydney in like 97-98 my boys Sleeping Monk and APEX gave EL P a copy of their demo cd, some raw tracks they'd been working on. When he dropped his next shit, the cunt had used a whole bunch of rimes off their CD. Str8 up!.....

I guess Sole was right about him all along.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

when Co Flow came down to Sydney in like 97-98 my boys Sleeping Monk and APEX gave EL P a copy of their demo cd, some raw tracks they'd been working on. When he dropped his next shit, the cunt had used a whole bunch of rimes off their CD. Str8 up!.....

lololololololololololol

You're kidding?

How the white man gonna rip of another white man like that?

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    the question is...how badly will APEX fuck El-P up if he ever returns to Sydney.....

I was always sus on El P cus he loks exactly like CAP(from Style Wars fame...) and we all know how CAP rolled....

hey Kinetic...did you know Koolism used the break that CF uses on Vital Nerve on one of their early tape releases.... Daniel San chops the bassline up better....

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts

i'd be interested in hearing that demo

the question is...how badly will APEX fuck El-P up if he ever returns to Sydney.....

I was always sus on El P cus he loks exactly like CAP(from Style Wars fame...) and we all know how CAP rolled....

hey Kinetic...did you know Koolism used the break that CF uses on Vital Nerve on one of their early tape releases.... Daniel San chops the bassline up better....
    Word. Do you know what the record is? I never heard any of those early Koolism tapes - you gotta play that shit for me next time I'm over at your place.

Post deleted by Kinetic

• Has there ever been overflowing praise for El-P once ever on the interwebs? Besides their boards? You guys know what I'm saying.

• Very good album. A definate classic.

I'm proud to have been finally honoured with writing something location-worthy.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

8 steps (lost mix) from the blind 12"

Yo,

That was painful. I don't see how anyone could listen to 12+ songs of that. Afterwards, I would need some Excedrin. To each his/her own, but it didn't appeal to my sensibilities rap-wise. The rappin' was downright irritating.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I liked Juss as a rapper on Funcrusher. He had a good voice, good cadence, and some interesting lyrics. I copped the Lune TNS EP thing and it sounded like a kid who just bought an MPC, which is exactly what he said in one of the songs.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Yeah pretty much sums it up for it - couple of tracks aside. I still appreciate some of the production on the album but have absolutely no interest in going back and revisiting it now - I suspect it's an album that will continue to move up the critic's chart in nostalgic importance as less and less people actually listen to it.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    It does not suit my lifestyle.

Seems as if I would have liked Co Flow even more than I did...but there was something in there that was just too ____________ to me.

I'm sorta in this boat as well. To me, there were a few songs that I thought were really incredible, but overall the album seemed to suffer from too much content and too little substance, if that makes any sense.

I also think the Co Flow album is what ultimately made it impossible for me to enjoy any of the anticon output. All that ish just sounded like watered down versions of the worst songs from Funcrusher Plus. Ultra-contrived suburban emo rap is correct. I do like Jel though.

Now who will ride for early Aesop Rock?

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts

Yeah pretty much sums it up for it - couple of tracks aside. I still appreciate some of the production on the album but have absolutely no interest in going back and revisiting it now - I suspect it's an album that will continue to move up the critic's chart in nostalgic importance as less and less people actually listen to it.

Thats on point. It was a ground breaking and important album of its time that will gain more critical respect as the years grow on. But i have no real intrest in revisiting it at all.