Comments

• HamHam 872 Posts
    Now who will ride for early Aesop Rock?

i like float.

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    fun fact: El-P drops the N bomb on Juvenile Techniques

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    i could never stand their rapping.

Yeah pretty much sums it up for it - couple of tracks aside. I still appreciate some of the production on the album but have absolutely no interest in going back and revisiting it now - I suspect it's an album that will continue to move up the critic's chart in nostalgic importance as less and less people actually listen to it.

Thats on point. It was a ground breaking and important album of its time that will gain more critical respect as the years grow on. But i have no real intrest in revisiting it at all.

LOL

Why do you dudes keep repeating this as if Funcrusher... is some lost gem that has thus far evaded critical attention? The fact is that this album and other El-P projects have actually received far more critical light than their quality/importance/influence really merits.

I would say--mercifully--that the general trend amongst "critics" in recent years is to award albums of this ilk less respect. And I see no reason why it wouldn't continue. Mightn't "critics" simply continue to recognize that it's not particularly good music? Just saying.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Yeah pretty much sums it up for it - couple of tracks aside. I still appreciate some of the production on the album but have absolutely no interest in going back and revisiting it now - I suspect it's an album that will continue to move up the critic's chart in nostalgic importance as less and less people actually listen to it.

Thats on point. It was a ground breaking and important album of its time that will gain more critical respect as the years grow on. But i have no real intrest in revisiting it at all.

LOL

Why do you dudes keep repeating this as if Funcrusher... is some lost gem that has thus far evaded critical attention? The fact is that this album and other El-P projects have actually received far more critical light than their quality/importance/influence really merits.

I would say--mercifully--that the general trend amongst "critics" in recent years is to award albums of this ilk less respect. And I see no reason why it wouldn't continue. Mightn't "critics" simply continue to recognize that it's not particularly good music? Just saying.

Not sure if you're referring to me as well as kicks79 here but just to clarify, my original point was that I suspected that this would be one of the token "alternative" albums selected by mainstream music writers in their greatest of the nineties etc lists despite the fact that most people (myself included) who listened to it at the time now considered it to have aged particularly badly and certainly not worth a revisit.

LOL

Not sure if you're referring to me as well as kicks79 here but just to clarify, my original point was that I suspected that this would be one of the token "alternative" albums selected by mainstream music writers in their greatest of the nineties etc lists despite the fact that most people (myself included) who listened to it at the time now considered it to have aged particularly badly and certainly not worth a revisit.

I suppose I got your point, I just don't know why you think that--this stuff has really lost a lot of critical capital over the past half decade.

Amongst reputable critics at least--people that write for your local alt weekly or Rolling Stone are another matter.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    I've had it since it came out and still haven't listened to it.

^^^CO-sign

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

I think that album made underground hip hop wack. Not necessarily them but what it spawned.

i like this album a lot but when ppl try to advocate for it by arguing its IMPORTANCE i get all zzzzzz

I'm not mentioning importance to prop up how good it is. It is what it is, you either like it or you don't.

Alls I'm saying, similar to what I quoted Jake as saying above, is that FP spawned a sound in (or perhaps even an approach to) underground hip-hop that was aped by a lot of people. I agree with Jake that 99% of that imitation was wack. Muddy, lo-fi beats and nonsensical, overly-scientifical wordplay became the hot shit for every dude in his bedroom. Before, it would have been amateur garbage. After that, it was "co-flow-esque."

Whether or not you want to call FP "important" because of that is up to you. I guess I should have used the term "influential." or "influential for better or worse."

LOL

I suppose I got your point, I just don't know why you think that--this stuff has really lost a lot of critical capital over the past half decade.

Amongst reputable critics at least--people that write for your local alt weekly or Rolling Stone are another matter.

Yeah having gone away and actually reread some of the newer articles of this type I stand corrected. Put my original view down to too many years of being exposed to the type of british music writers who list Clouddead (Their arch, surreal lyrics are delivered in raps that sound like a cartoon version of Cypress Hill over an eclectic and disjunctive mix of beats, drones and samples) as one of the 1000 albums you have to hear before you die.

LOL

Yeah having gone away and actually reread some of the newer articles of this type I stand corrected. Put my original view down to too many years of being exposed to the type of british music writers who list Clouddead (Their arch, surreal lyrics are delivered in raps that sound like a cartoon version of Cypress Hill over an eclectic and disjunctive mix of beats, drones and samples) as one of the 1000 albums you have to hear before you die.

Ha! Is that an actual Peter Shapiro quotable?

• Mightn't [/b]"critics" simply continue to recognize that it's not particularly good music? Just saying.

i have nothing to add except that i like my dudes word choice

Mightn't [/b]"critics" simply continue to recognize that it's not particularly good music? Just saying.

i have nothing to add except that i like my dudes word choice

"lord fauxntleroy"

LOL

Ha! Is that an actual Peter Shapiro quotable?

Ha ha, it very well could be as the compilers of this stunning collection of quotables seem to have chosen to remain anonymous. It's actually from the genius that is:

The Guardian's 1000 Albums to hear before you die

Erykah Badu
    Baduizm (1997)
    Of the nu soul divas who emerged in the late-90s, the turban-clad, drawling Badu was the most interesting. An earth mother whose narratives took in hustling, her grandmother and going to Wu-Tang Clan concerts, Badu infused her microdramas with a sultry jazz swing and a wonderful sense of calm amid the madness of life.

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    hahah

Clipse
    Hell Hath No Fury (2006)
    Like all great gangsta rap, the Clipse's second album inhabits a kind of ethical no-man's-land. Its protagonists seem unsure whether they are brazenly amoral or deeply troubled by their dexterously told tales of crack-dealing. Producers the Neptunes find the perfect musical accompaniment; sparse, disjointed, bleak and atonal, it's grim and gripping in equal measure.

Common
    Electric Circus (2002)
    Lonnie Rashid Lynn has recently started selling records by curbing his experimental tendencies. The epic, Hendrix- and Clinton-inspired Electric Circus is his apogee and nadir; the maddest, biggest, best record he has made, and the least popular.

Mobb Deep
    The Infamous (1995)
    West-coast gangsta rap is a high-life fantasy of blunts and booty, but in the half-lit world of Queens MCs Prodigy and Havoc (aka Mobb Deep), weed makes you paranoid, money makes you enemies and hell is always just around the corner. Their second album is a rivetingly claustrophobic urban nightmare.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I think the importance of Funcrusher and Co Flow wasn't really their music, but the whole Independant as Fuck vibe they brought along. they were one of the first real 'sucess' on Rawkus and that got them notorious attention from hip hop nerds who wanted to fight back against the jiggy shit. The time it came out it was a good contrast to the over produced and over hyped mainstream releases.

But that said, any hip hop student will find similar crews all thru hip hops history. I liked them cus it was dirty and lo fi and intellectual with some street edge....basically a college boy version of Wu Tangs early shit...IMHO. But there have been better indie hip hop since then and El P has shown he is just as money hungry and arrogant as major label acts....

The production merits more respect than the riming... espcially El P's overt use of punch ins and overdubs...it gets annoying after a while. Their second release (the instrumental one) was dope as far as beats go...little johnny from the hospital is underated and funcrusher is oevrrated because of the 'underground myth' that it carries.... It was one of the better underground lps released in that year but as far as longevity it only has a few tracks that outlive their use by date....