pet peeves (5 star thread)

Comments

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    it makes me cringe when people wear t-shirts that are too big in the collar

how about when it's too big in the collar and then you see that they've shaved a t-shirt shape into their body hair. Those ladies disgust me.

C7, you are on fire today!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    just go back to California already, you culture-killing bastards.

like bad drivers are restricted to CA.

like driving has anything whatsoever to do with "culture."

like your Austin "culture" is being killed.

like said "culture" is somehow superior to anyone else's.

like you're not the biggest herb crybaby on this message board.

L

O

L

seriously never stop posting, please. you make my days.

How many Californians have moved to Austin the past dozen years?

How badly has Austin been gentrified the past dozen years?

How many McMansions need to go up in places where they clearly don't belong?

How many long-standing Austin-bred businesses need to be bulldozed to make way for new housing?

How many new skyscraper condominiums have gone up in downtown Austin just in the past few months?

How many of those condos will be filled with former Californians looking for ideal urban living in a hardly-urban locale?

How many times do Austin locals have to hear former Californians who just moved here suggest that we "Keep Austin Weird"?

How many times do we have to withstand watching former Californians act as if the only "culture" worth protecting is that which was created by shopping malls?

How many times do I have to hear rootless pronounce that he hates loves me?

• just go back to California already, you culture-killing bastards.

L

O

L

How many long-standing Austin-bred businesses need to be bulldozed to make way for new housing?

How many new skyscraper condominiums have gone up in downtown Austin just in the past few months?

How many of those condos will be filled with former Californians looking for ideal urban living in a hardly-urban locale?

How many times do Austin locals have to hear former Californians who just moved here suggest that we "Keep Austin Weird"?

How many times do we have to withstand watching former Californians act as if the only "culture" worth protecting is that which was created by shopping malls?

How many times do I have to hear rootless pronounce that he hates loves me?

How little do you think we care about any of this?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Lately, it's been...people driving around Austin not knowing where the fuck they are going, going significantly less than the speed limit, looking all around them at all times like they're at Disneyland, putting on a blinker and then deciding at the last second not to turn, or even worse starting to turn and then part-way into it aborting the turn...

You are perfectly describing my driving behavior while out trolling for records.

Fuck! Was that a thrift store or a hardware store? Better make a u-turn here to be sure.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    PEOPLE WHO DO NOT USE THEIR TURN SIGNALS/BLINK>/FONT>

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

these people suck. also people that get all the way over into the fast lane to drive 50 mph and don't get out of the way when a faster driver comes up.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    PET PEEVE #2: ASSHOLES WHO DON'T KEEP THEIR DOG ON A LEASH TIED WITH ASSHOLE NEIGHBORS WHO LET THEIR CATS HANG OUT AND SHIT IN YOUR YARD

• One thing California, specifically the Bay Area, is to blame for is the current state of NYC subway behavior.

need any proof go ride BART. Where dudes get on the train with backpacks the size of a f*cking Prius and sit down in the middle of the doorway. ON THE FLOOR!! Gross!!

Only slightly better is the business suit man with his bike helmet and his fold-up bike and his backpack that, while not the size of a Prius, might still be the size of a Mini Cooper. And this dude has the nerve to try and whip out his laptop!

• That's some funny shit right there.....

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    PET PEEVE #2: ASSHOLES WHO DON'T KEEP THEIR DOG ON A LEASH TIED WITH ASSHOLE NEIGHBORS WHO LET THEIR CATS HANG OUT AND SHIT IN YOUR YARD

um, people who use all caps?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Fuck! Was that a thrift store or a hardware store? Better make a u-turn here to be sure.

LOL so damn true.

L

O

L

and the fact that you associate these phenomena (uhh...like "construction" and "urban growth") exclusively with your own home town reveals pretty clearly (a) your ignorance and (b) your well-documented[/b] belief that the entire world is conspiring against you personally and Texas generally. you're pathetic.

PS don't ever come to California.

L

O

L

and the fact that you associate these phenomena (uhh...like "construction" and "urban growth") exclusively with your own home town reveals pretty clearly (a) your ignorance and (b) your well-documented[/b] belief that the entire world is conspiring against you personally and Texas generally. you're pathetic.

NO, please come to California!

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

How about people that let their dogs shit all over the sidewalk and don't clean it up?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    People who feel the need to speak to break up silence.

Just talking because I'm not talking is a sure way to make me not like you.

- spidey

L

O

L

Succinct and to the point.

well-documented[/b] belief that the entire world is conspiring against you personally and Texas generally.[/b]

Well said.

Yes, it's my wild imagination only that is perceiving Californians to be moving to Austin in droves.

And the skyscraper condos that have gone up...only in my head.

Thanks, fellas, for the clarification.

• Why would Californians be moving to Austin in droves? I mean, California sucks ass, but Austin's no walk in the park either. Where are you getting this info from?

Why would Californians be moving to Austin in droves? I mean, California sucks ass, but Austin's no walk in the park either. Where are you getting this info from?

Never needed the internet to know about this well-known trend, but just for you...

http://www.austintowers.net/Austin_Downtown/index.html

Welcome to Austin: The New Migration Boom
    January 03, 2008 21:46 Filed in: Market Analysis

The more people that come to Austin, the stronger the downtown condo market. As Austin grows and expands, the value of central living only goes up. As one of the fastest growing cities in the country, this trend is one of the positive factors supporting long-term growth of the downtown population.

Today's news is good news for downtown residents and bad news for anyone that sits in Austin traffic: new statistics from the census bureau show a dramatic acceleration in migration into Travis county and the rest of the Austin metropolitan area. The latest statistics, covering the full year 2006 (Thanks Census Bureau for the quick turn around!), show that a net 9,405 migrated into Travis county in 2006. This tops the tech boom record of 8,575 set in 2000 and represents a strong turn-around from 2002, 2003, and 2004 when the county experienced a net outbound migration.

Here are the migration statistics from 2000 - 2006:

2000 | +8,575
    2001 | +4,867
    2002 | -11,402
    2003 | -7,152
    2004 | -1,787
    2005 | +1,602
    2006 | +9,405

In addition, total migration into central Texas from California more than doubled over the last two years. Californians represent a major portion of new Austin residents, many of whom come with large amounts of home equity. AustinTower's own survey and readership statistics show that Californians are the most active out-of-state shoppers for downtown Austin condos -- followed by residents of New York, Florida, and Illinois.[/b]

• In addition, total migration into central Texas from California more than doubled over the last two years. Californians represent a major portion of new Austin residents, many of whom come with large amounts of home equity. AustinTower's own survey and readership statistics show that Californians are the most active out-of-state shoppers for downtown Austin condos -- followed by residents of New York, Florida, and Illinois.[/b]

...right so the most new TX residents, by raw numbers, come from California, NY and Florida: three out the four states with the greatest populations in the US.... the fourth being....TEXAS.

genius shit...

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Two things off the top of my head:

1 - People who cough not b/c they're sick, but out of nervousness/the love of hearing themselves cough.

2 - People who declare something "awesome" more than once during a conversation. Writing it in posts is OK - I'm guilty of this myself - but using it in actual conversation is pure middle school.

Having to work alongside person with said traits can drain the life out of you, I tell ya.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Ha! My homie was just complaining about this. CA drivers are the Frickin' worst.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    1 - People who cough not b/c they're sick, but out of nervousness/the love of hearing themselves cough.

That's a new one.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Perhaps my soulstrut trivia muscles have atrophied, but isn't Harvey a former resident of California?

• Perhaps my soulstrut trivia muscles have atrophied, but isn't Harvey a former resident of California?

saying. that's the irony of his tirades. or I should say "one of the many, many ironic aspects of his tirades."

In addition, total migration into central Texas from California more than doubled over the last two years. Californians represent a major portion of new Austin residents, many of whom come with large amounts of home equity. AustinTower's own survey and readership statistics show that Californians are the most active out-of-state shoppers for downtown Austin condos -- followed by residents of New York, Florida, and Illinois.[/b]

...right so the most new TX residents, by raw numbers, come from California, NY and Florida: three out the four states with the greatest populations in the US.... the fourth being....TEXAS.

genius shit...

Thank you, for abruptly making all of the Californians who have moved here over the past dozen years *poof* into oblivion.

It's so comforting for me to know that they never existed in the first place.

You hear that Austin? Some random salty dude on the internet says that we're all just paranoid, to the point that it's utterly ridiculous for us to think that all of the Californians that we encounter in person on a daily basis actually live here.

That's just wonderful...now we can get back to our daily task of making Austin weird on our own terms.

Perhaps my soulstrut trivia muscles have atrophied, but isn't Harvey a former resident of California?

saying. that's the irony of his tirades. or I should say "one of the many, many ironic aspects of his tirades."

Under no one's standards am I considered as someone who relocated here from California.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

genius shit...

Thank you, for abruptly making all of the Californians who have moved here over the past dozen years *poof* into oblivion.

It's so comforting for me to know that they never existed in the first place.

You hear that Austin? Some random salty dude on the internet says that we're all just paranoid, to the point that it's utterly ridiculous for us to think that all of the Californians that we encounter in person on a daily basis actually live here.

That's just wonderful...now we can get back to our daily task of making Austin weird on our own terms.

huh?
    You must have a magic monitor that writes what you want to see, cause I can't understand how you got that from Rootless' post.

• Perhaps my soulstrut trivia muscles have atrophied, but isn't Harvey a former resident of California?

Under no one's standards am I considered as someone who relocated here from California.

well, right, except that you did.

I guess once you've convinced yourself that you're "down," objective reality sorta just becomes a nuisance.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I hate assholes who try to strike up conversation with you while at the urinal or who talk on their cellphones while on the shitter.