Plastic inner sleeves UNAPPRECIATION

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
god, i fuckin hate these things! no matter how careful i am i can never seem to get them back in the sleeve, and if you try to put the record back in without taking the sleeve out first, it just gets mashed up in the bottom. i usually just throw them away and replace with a paper one. what is the advantage of these? are they supposed to be easier on your records or something? whoever invented them is an idiot.and to avoid any confusion im talking about the totally transparent thicker plastic ones. usually U-shaped. the completely square translucent kinda wax-papery ones arent too bad. its the clear plastic ones that i hate.

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Always works for me if I take the whole sleeve out. But yeah, trying to get the record back in after leaving the inner sleeve inside the cover is tricky.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Always works for me if I take the whole sleeve out.

i can usually at least get the sleeve back in, but usually theyre either stretched out or so long that the excess plastic still sticks out the end of the sleeve!

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    these Frickin' suck...i loath them ALMOST as much as the resealable plastic outer sleeves with the adhesive on the FLAP! What a godawful design...

i will ride for the plastic-lined paper inner sleeves though.

i will ride for the plastic-lined paper inner sleeves though.

yeah. except i hate when the plastic part comes loose from the paper part and then its just a disaster all over again...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    These are known as the "japanese" inner sleeves but I've seen them on Korean and Chinese records too.

I just throw them out and replace them with a nice new white inner sleeve. Problem solved.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Yea, same here. Everytime I try to put on a plastic inner sleeve, it seems to slip off, as my package is too big.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    i fuckin hate these things![/b]

• These are known as the "japanese" inner sleeves but I've seen them on Korean and Chinese records too.

I just throw them out and replace them with a nice new white inner sleeve. Problem solved.

Might have to rename them "australasian sleeves" because everything pressed here I have ever bought has them. Totally blows.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    they blow!

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    square edged ones are worse thean the U shaped ones but theyre all garbage.

These are known as the "japanese" inner sleeves but I've seen them on Korean and Chinese records too.

Might have to rename them "australasian sleeves" because everything pressed here I have ever bought has them. Totally blows.

ive had my share of european records with them too....the record that sparked this thread was one of the many israeli records ive found with a plastic inner sleeve.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Yeah - pretty much every record released in Australia has plastic inner sleeves. Man, maybe I'm just used to them because they're in records here, but I'm pretty good at taking the record out without pulling the sleeve out, and then also putting the record back in. I do prefer paper sleeves though, but plastic sleeves are less likely to scuff your records on their way in or out of the cover.

• The ones without backing that get mashed suck, but the ones that are waxy rice paper on top of a paper sleeve for backing are top.

The ones without backing that get mashed suck, but the ones that are waxy rice paper on top of a paper sleeve for backing are top.

where is that from? ive never seen a copy of that album on Island.

The ones without backing that get mashed suck, but the ones that are waxy rice paper on top of a paper sleeve for backing are top.

How the hell can you even read what that record is?!?!

• i fuckin hate these things![/b]

Yeah - pretty much every record released in Australia has plastic inner sleeves. Man, maybe I'm just used to them because they're in records here, but I'm pretty good at taking the record out without pulling the sleeve out, and then also putting the record back in. I do prefer paper sleeves though, but plastic sleeves are less likely to scuff your records on their way in or out of the cover.

What about when the plastic sleeve reaches a certain age & then disintegrates all through the outer sleeve, you try to pull it out & just end up getting flaky bits of plastic, not cool.

How the hell can you even read what that record is?!?!

in the court of the crimson king, i dont know, look closely and its not hard to read...

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Even wax paper sleeves from 50s records are better than this shit

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

do you guys even scratch?

• These are known as the "japanese" inner sleeves but I've seen them on Korean and Chinese records too.

I'm ok with square ones, just apply pressure to one of the spine side corners and you're sweet. You must be some kind of zen master, the curved ones drive me INSANE.

They do seem to be less prone to scuffing, but the plastic on some seems to break down and gets all crumby and mashed into the grooves

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

I'm ok with square ones, just apply pressure to one of the spine side corners and you're sweet. You must be some kind of zen master, the curved ones drive me INSANE.

They do seem to be less prone to scuffing, but the plastic on some seems to break down and gets all crumby and mashed into the grooves

Some of the crappier ones to disintegrate, and THAT is wack, but yewah... i dunno, on the whole they never both me. Those Japanese opnes with the wax paper inside one side of the plastic sleeve are probably my favourite ever sleeves though. It just works so well.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The worst are those older, cheaper plastic lined paper sleeves that somehow actually manage to adhere to vinyl and ruin it.

• The worst are those older, cheaper plastic lined paper sleeves that somehow actually manage to adhere to vinyl and ruin it.

These get special hate... causes hazing and a NM record to play G+. Who thought this was a good idea?

• plastic sleeves get the gasface. peace, stein. . .

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Yep

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

Yep

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    they suck. i keep a pile of paper inner sleeves salvaged from terd buys and whenever i come across a plastic inner i shake my head, throw it away and replace it with a paper one.

I too like the plastic lined paper inserts, and i prefer the ones with the holes in the middle so you can read the label.

• The worst are those older, cheaper plastic lined paper sleeves that somehow actually manage to adhere to vinyl and ruin it.

These get special hate... causes hazing and a NM record to play G+. Who thought this was a good idea?

try these on your new vpi - a lot of that hazing and grime comes right off.

Mr. HCrink must deal because he washes records like dishes.