BEST HIPHOP/RAP ALBUMS OF '07

thedailyhustlethedailyhustle 151 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
What are yall's lists lookin like for best of 2007 as far as rap albums go?Ghostface Killah - Big Doe Rehab is what im feelin most at the moment.Im prolly sleepin on tons of hot shit but let me in on the scoop!

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Best of 07 is............

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    Best of 07 is............

DITTO.

• I've heard the Freeway album a little and I still can't like it. His voice grates on me, bad. Beats were cool, some of his rhymes are cool, but man. I don't even hate on the guy, but I just can't hang with hearing him more than a verse or two at a time. A whole album would drive me nuts! I guess you can say I'm sleepin', but it's just one of them thangs...

Anybody else annoyed by the chicken n gravy man's voice or is it just something I need to get over?

Not the best of 07, but a couple albums that were ignored/hated on that I am feeling right now:

Playaz Circle album (some great beats on this, and about 4 or 5 straight banging tracks, but with a couple skipabbles)

Gorilla Zoe's album (again, some skipabbles, but some straight banging tracks on this! the intro track alone was pretty damn good after the music actually starts)

Other than that, we already di a best of 07 thread, it's back there somewhere...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Like Father, Like Son really grew on me.

• Like Father, Like Son really grew on me.

Great album though.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

Ghostface Killah - Big Doe Rehab

Also feeling the Freeway and Devin.....

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Scarface done brought it this year...

• came out this year right?

• Shit, thanks for reminding me, I need to check the new scarface. I have been steadily bumping old scarface for 3 weeks straight.

• Well, it's 08 now, but yes that came out in 07.

• Well, it's 08 now, but yes that came out in 07.

right that's what I meant. deserves a mention in best rap albums of '07 for sure.

• Yes it got heavy mention in the December thread.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    Anybody else annoyed by the chicken n gravy man's voice or is it just something I need to get over?

i know alot of people who cant get over his voice, it might just be one of those things. on the other hand it's one of my main reason's for liking him. he stepped it up in the lyric department on this album too.

ghostface's album just bugged me this year, he made the same album as the last 3, it was ok but not original (in the sense of copying himself, HE'S original as they come)

i bought kweli's album off the strength of the beats i heard online, dude is Frickin' annoying, but some of those beats are crazy. pete rock flipping that elton john shit was pure fuego.

kanye and jay-z take 2 and 3 on my list.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

X1000000000000000

• A few I enjoyed, though without a ride I rarely get through a whole cd at a time these days...

Turf Talk
    UGK
    Kanye
    Devin
    Jay Z -American Gangster
    Eighball & MJG

haven't heard the whole Scarface or Freeway yet...

was pretty disappointed in the Federation joint as a whole tho, please...no more sung hooks for them!

+ a couple indies:

Blu & Exile
    The Are
    Sean PRice

• was pretty disappointed in the Federation joint as a whole tho, please...no more sung hooks for them!

I'm saying. I have yet to hear even a die-hard Fed fan try to ride for that Snoop Dogg disaster....

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    A few I enjoyed, though without a ride I rarely get through a whole cd at a time these days...

Turf Talk
    UGK
    Kanye
    Devin
    Jay Z -American Gangster
    Eighball & MJG

haven't heard the whole Scarface or Freeway yet...

was pretty disappointed in the Federation joint as a whole tho, please...no more sung hooks for them!

Good list, although I liked the Federation album.

A few more that I liked or found something to like on:

Bone
    Twista
    Prodigy
    Redman
    Richboy
    Baby Boy da Prince
    Beanie Sigel
    Gucci Mane

• Gucci Mane

Is this Back to the Traphouse or whatever? I have listened to that a couple times through. It's very authentic to his style. Beats and all. Not bad, not bad. You have to like Gucci Mane to like the album though, I think.

Gucci Mane

Is this Back to the Traphouse or whatever? I have listened to that a couple times through. It's very authentic to his style. Beats and all. Not bad, not bad. You have to like Gucci Mane to like the album though, I think.

Yeah, that's the one--although both "Pillz" and "Freeky Gurl" are ruined by guest appearances. The guest-free versions on Hard to Kill were vastly superior.

• Sean Price
    Freeway
    Turf Talk
    UGK (r.i.p. pimpc)
    Kanye
    Hi Tek
    Devin

Speaking of devin, how is that coughfee brothas album?

i still need to hear that 8ball & MJG album tho.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    The Are

This is quality and went completely under my radar. Do you have copies at the shop?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Ghostface Killah - Big Doe Rehab is what im feelin most at the moment.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Gorilla Zoe's album
    This album is really boring.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Redman

Speaking of devin, how is that coughfee brothas album?

Really good, although it's essentially a repackaging of the Special Limited Edition album that was released in '06.

Gorilla Zoe's album
    This album is really boring.

Gotta agree.

• Gucci Mane

Yeah, that's the one--although both "Pillz" and "Freeky Gurl" are ruined by guest appearances. The guest-free versions on Hard to Kill were vastly superior.

Yeah, you know, I noticed the first track on the album was better on the mixtape versions I had heard without Lil Kim. What the hell is "Pillz" called on the album? The internet has it as "Back To The Trap House" but my version doesn't have either. Isn't that the song with Lil' Jon with the chorus "I'm a J, I'm a J, All I do is pop pills all day"?

Re: Zoe's album, didn't say it was a great album, but it has a lot of good songs that will be forever slept on because the album isn't that cohesive and was written off a lot by the internet crowd. I still think it's worth having for the good tracks, but that's just me.

That reminds me, Boyz N Da Hood with Zoe came out last year, didn't it? I never heard it. Was it any good?

• The Are

This is quality and went completely under my radar. Do you have copies at the shop?

check out www.rappersiknow.com for his newest stuff, the dem damb jacksons ep especially
    the only physical releases he had last year were beat cds

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    A few I enjoyed, though without a ride I rarely get through a whole cd at a time these days...

Turf Talk
    UGK
    Kanye
    Devin
    Jay Z -American Gangster
    Eighball & MJG

Good list, although I liked the Federation album.

A few more that I liked or found something to like on:

Redman
    Baby Boy da Prince
    Beanie Sigel

Yeah this plus Freeway would probably be my list. I really liked the Federation album - one of my favourites of the year - wasn't what I expected but have grown to like it more and more.

Yeah, you know, I noticed the first track on the album was better on the mixtape versions I had heard without Lil Kim. What the hell is "Pillz" called on the album? The internet has it as "Back To The Trap House" but my version doesn't have either. Isn't that the song with Lil' Jon with the chorus "I'm a J, I'm a J, All I do is pop pills all day"?

I think "Pillz" is retitled "I Might Be".

You're thinking of the "I'm a J" remix, which is actually a Li'l Jon track with Fabo and Gucci Mane.