Fave Live Rock LPs?

onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
I generally hate them... In most cases, I feel like I'm being given sloppily performed, poorly recorded tunes that in many cases reveal less chops and charisma than the studio versions of the same songs would imply. What are yuor exceptions that prove (or disprove, if you have a lot) the rule?First ones that came to mind for me:

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I'd like to hear this, but is that all pre-Love material? They didn't hit their stride until then IMO...

My Picks

• Live At Max's Kansas City - Heartbreakers
    Lenny & Squiggy Present Lenny & the Squigtones

honorable mention: Kick Out The Jams - MC 5 (the first side is the best side; Side 2 is just lukewarm)

I'd like to hear this, but is that all pre-Love material? They didn't hit their stride until then IMO...

Yes, it's all pre-Love material.

And IMO Dreamtime is only slighly less of an awesome album than is Love.

• I was just listening to Miles of Aisles by Joni Mitchell yesterday and that one is quite good.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

I always thought that the songs and production on "Dreamtime" lacked a little of the muscle they needed. Back on topic, I went to this Cult concert at the Ritz in 1985, and I have a tape in storage somewhere (it was simulcast on the radio), and I always thought it was one of the most amazing shows I ever saw. Wish I could find the complete video somewhere, an edited version was released once, but it only has about a third of the show.

I always thought that the songs and production on "Dreamtime" lacked a little of the muscle they needed. Back on topic, I went to this Cult concert at the Ritz in 1985, and I have a tape in storage somewhere (it was simulcast on the radio), and I always thought it was one of the most amazing shows I ever saw. Wish I could find the complete video somewhere, an edited version was released once, but it only has about a third of the show.

Yep, I used to have a VHS copy of that concert that I taped off of MTV back in like '87. You were there??? Wow!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Kick Out The Jams - MC 5 (the first side is the best side; Side 2 is just lukewarm)

Trippin', dude.

• ya fuckin yankees and west coasters...recognize

also...

• i agree for their energy but i wish this was recorded better. the ending of "fortune" is badass though, i love marion's trumpet playing. i love that a lil thing can have such a commanding voice and impressive breath control. one of my favorite bands ever, sad i never got to see them live.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

one of my favorite bands ever, sad i never got to see them live.

I'm in the same boat, discovered them just before they broke up. Although Andy joining the Ex seems to have redirected the Ex's music in a DFH direction and seeing the Ex I feel like I'm getting a taste of what it would've been like.

• this cover has always bugged the shit outta me...thats not a full house!

• this cover has always bugged the shit outta me...thats not a full house!

HAHAHA!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• LazerLazer 796 Posts

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

hell fukn yes. southbound mothafukas!

• Yeah, there's studio-stuff pasted in here and there (as with all the "live" Zappa stuff), but this album smokes.

Cosine on the Grand Funk album.

- J

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

My favorite Taking Heads album. Always in rotation.

I'm not a fan of Costello's, but this live album shows him in the best light possible. Better, in my opinion, than most of his studio output. The raw energy of his early live performance cancels out the preciousness that always creeps into his material. Don't get me wrong; this isn't my shit or anything, and my dislike of Costello goes unabated, but it does impress as an example to disprove the idea that live albums are inferior recordings by nature.

Another live album that I think is the artists' best. I didn't really get Cheap Trick's appeal until someone put the live version "Surrender" on a mix for me and it sounded like something totally new. The rest of the album works on the same level.

There are some great reworkings of already great songs on here. None of them replace the originals, but it is a powerful, intimate set nonetheless.

I have to include this, if only because I think it's success is even more improbable than a great live album by a rock artist; that is, as a great live album by a disco artist. But Sylvester is truly in his element here, performing at the peak of his career in front of, no doubt, his most adoring fans. And the ~12-minute peaks-and-valleys workout of "You Are My Friend" is something to behold.

Best live album ever in my opinion.

• Parliament Funkdelic-Live From Houston 1976(same as the official dvd concert)
    Parliament Funkadelic-P Funk Earth Tour 1976
    Frankie Beverly & Maze-Live From New Orleans 1981
    Earth Wind & Fire-Gratitude 1975
    Isley Brothers-Live from Yankee Stadium 1972
    Bob Segar & The Silver Bullet Band 1976

It's a shame the Isley Brothers didn't release a live album around 1977-78,damn that shit would've been unreal..Same with Sly Stone,why is there no whole live album from Sly Stone?

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

major

(although for me the premise of the thread was that there are lotsa great live jazz and R+B LPs, not so many rock)

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

• one of my all-tyme favorites!

^ i got this in new orleans along time ago on a vacation witjh my parents and i got the lp and cd i listened to it the whole way back to wisconsin (by car) and it opened the door to everything soulful raw and funky

friend gave me this as a present along time ago.. china cat sunflower was a good tune

if curtis is in this then ill thro some props to ;
    miles davis -

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

(Don't front now - if you're of a certain age, then this record was one of the soundtracks of 1976)

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

major

(although for me the premise of the thread was that there are lotsa great live jazz and R+B LPs, not so many rock)

I thought it might get some flack, but I'm happy to include it as a rock album.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Was just listening to this and had to include it in this list...The Numbers Band

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    Rainbow "on stage"

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts