WEEKEND FINDS (Thursday is Questionable But......)

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
I know it's a wee bit early on the weekend finds but I thought I'd start it off strong.This is a mix of Thanksgiving finds, lots of interesting random private and some trades. That flower field generic cover has a funny storry.It's the senior concert from Beaver Dam Wisconsin on Century, which is the place my mom went to highschool. I rolled in and showed it to my and uncle upon my return from my upper mississippi grinding. The sticker had this ladies name, and when my uncle sees it he goes, "I think I had sex with her behind the park". Upon which my mom also recognizes the name on the record and goes "I never liked that girl". Random and funny, we had a laugh on how things can come full circle 35 years later. Anyway the LP has what I consider a super legit, folked-out version the soft rock heater "Summer Breeze". Also stoked on an unplayed Stax mono of Booker T "Soul Dressing". The Sons of Thunder has mad breaks and an intersting blue-eyed version of "Memphis Soul Stew."

Comments

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I love that Ernestine Anderson album. It's not that high quality music like that is still available inexpensively.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I love that Ernestine Anderson album. It's not that high quality music like that is still available inexpensively.

That's a double if anybody want's to get down. "Love for Sale" , I think thats the name, is a great track.

• I love that Ernestine Anderson album. It's not that high quality music like that is still available inexpensively.

That's a double if anybody want's to get down. "Love for Sale" , I think thats the name, is the only[/b] track.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    What do you think of that Nolan Porter Bizzo? On par with his other LP?

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

Honestly have not listened to it for more than two seconds, his voice was slightly annoying.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

What label is his other LP on....the backing band on the above one is basically Little Feat.

• What do you think of that Nolan Porter Bizzo? On par with his other LP?

Honestly have not listened to it for more than two seconds, his voice was slightly annoying.

lets boyne down the cornfields

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

What label is his other LP on....the backing band on the above one is basically Little Feat.

ABC. It commands some dough for this great song:

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    bizzo,

you find the jeff jones locally or was it a trade?

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    only on Soulstrut is THURSDAY the weekend.....

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    only on Soulstrut is THURSDAY the weekend.....

• "Fe fi fo fum" is the track on that Nolan Porter. I think it's an all round good album.

- J

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

45s
    Break Beats Vol.5 - There Was A Time/Family Affair
    James Brown - Shhhhhh (For A Little While)/I've Got Money
    Etta & Harvey - If I Can't Have You/My Heart Cries promo
    Mark Valentino - The Push & Kick/Walking Alone
    Swinging Blue Jeans - Rumors, Gossip, Words Untrue/Now The Summers Gone
    Nicole Willis - If This Ain't Love (Don't Know What Is)

• brook benton: do your own thing - title track is

Somebody told me that Fayva shoe stores used that song, at the time, as a radio ad?!

• What do you think of that Nolan Porter Bizzo? On par with his other LP?

ABC.

I have his Lizard LP (plus a few random 45's he did as "N.F. Porter" and "Frederick II"), and he basically comes off as a rockish Al Jarreau (or Roshell Anderson), with the weird way he phrases and scats the lyrics.

What's his ABC album like? Same rock-soul orientation?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    thrifts and fleas *except noted*---
    short weekend. ice/snow/sleet mix prevented me from doing anything today.

still sealed og of that david astri- dancing digits 12" --
    also that jayme marques has a couple of hot brazilian disco/funk tunes on it. lou perez has a couple of latin funk bombs on it--- 'afro hustle' being the highlight. orig 12" of the pete rock/cl -troy!

really red -reissue lp picked up at double d for 5 bucks. bitch magnet 1st record for 2 bucks at dd as well.

j dilla prod

sealed og. electro hip hop from kid nice

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

still sealed og of that david astri- dancing digits 12" --

Such a wicked cover design for that one.....the label Raw Fusion used the same design for a couple of their 12" releases , I thought they came up with it on their own but now that I see the original , it makes sense. How is that 12"?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    david astri is pretty decent electro disco. pretty liked amongst people. that's a double.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Some small but nice Christmas presents for myself. 22 dollars for the liquor at the Duty Free shop on the border. Can't wait to try that Buchanan's scotch. Clean real world findz for 15. Money well spent for me.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

One of those supposed-to-be-common records that took
    years to turn up, and even then it's a Ringwear McTapejob ...
    Nice album, though.

Another elusive mother - the first time I came across it
    I gave it away as a Christmas gift, years ago. Finally got
    a nice one, although I know a couple of people on here had
    sealed stock or something. I love the sound of this LP (and
    their 45's, most of which aren't on here) with it's live
    cabaret vibe and what sounds like an upright 3-piece
    drum-kit snapping loose rhythms throughout.
    One of my all-time favorite covers, too.

this was an e-buy, but a bit of a score, nabbed off eBay Germany
    for 10 euros, it was listed as "M-/M-" and amazingly really was,
    looks unplayed and the cover near perfect.
    Such a sick album, with a bunch of killer songs (and a couple ehh).

Also one hell of a on there.

Couple of solid cheap 45's:

THRIFT STORE GRIPPS:

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    big big box of quality minty rock, stack of eBayable randoms and a little stack of jazz

some notables (paradise is banged, sadly):

After a decade of searching, finally got a nice EXPERIENCE original press in the field for $1

• Got into some 45s this week...All real world for less than a dollar other than the Smithstonian...

Smithstonian "mississippi mud" Spent way too much PlayPal $$$ on this, but it's worth it!
    the Salambos "salambo"
    Steve Soul "popcorn with a feeling" Finally!
    House Guests "my mind set me free" this looked really beat up when I found it...It had a chip out of the run in groove and lots of surface wear, brought it home and cleaned it up nicely...Chip doesn't effect play and both sides play a strong VG without major noise!!!

The Sign of Vibration (great Funk 2-Sider!)
    Jimmy Mayes & the Mill St. Depot "social security number"
    Dynamic Tints "rosemarie"
    the Epic Splendor "cowboys and indians" (amazind song!)

Clean Stock Copies!!!

• Which side is the winner on this 12? "it's all over my face" or "pop your funk"?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    both sides are good... although primarily the 12" was released w/ the (male vocals) and (female vocals) on the flip of Is It All Over My Face... i really don't find the promo w/ Pop Your Funk on it too often....

• both sides are good... although primarily the 12" was released w/ the (male vocals) and (female vocals) on the flip of Is It All Over My Face... i really don't find the promo w/ Pop Your Funk on it too often....

Ah, so "pop your funk" is Promo only? Which version goes for more loot then?

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    both sides are good... although primarily the 12" was released w/ the (male vocals) and (female vocals) on the flip of Is It All Over My Face... i really don't find the promo w/ Pop Your Funk on it too often....

Ah, so "pop your funk" is Promo only? Which version goes for more loot then?

Pop Your Funk is raer and worth about $100, the male/female 12" is about $15-20. I didn't think that Pop Your Funk was a promo, I thought it was just a small pressing.

• big big box of quality minty rock, stack of eBayable randoms and a little stack of jazz

some notables (paradise is banged, sadly):

After a decade of searching, finally got a nice EXPERIENCE original press in the field for $1

I always thought that Harvey Mandel cover was kinda nasty.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I'm in Latin 45 mode...

• just got back from seeing my mum in guildford -- spent a few hours in the insanely nice-priced Ben's collectors records and got loads of great stuff cheap. also here are a few trades.. quite a lot of open drums amongst all this

the Hallo comp has a few mean and nasty flutey prog tunes with hip hop drums.
    dead pleased to find a cheap copy of a DUTRONC album - never seen one in the wild before.

top three are early xmas presents that my mum nabbed in Krakow whilst she was there --- awesome!!
    The CHORALERNA is xian rubbish with a massive b-boy break that John Stapleton first played me at Evil Kitty a few months a go -- couldnt turn it down for a few quid in the easy listening boxes!!
    the GILL SCOTT HERON was nice n cheap and a strata east OG to boot!!
    i had to buy the DEKE LEONARD as im reading his autobiography about the Man band so i need to fill in the few gaps in my Man colection to make sense of it all...

the 7's are:
    CASTAWAYS - "liar liar"
    SMALL FACES - "lazy sunday / rollin over"
    EAST OF EDEN - "jig a jig"