WEEKEND FINDS (Thursday is Questionable But......)

2»

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Got into some 45s this week...All real world for less than a dollar other than the Smithstonian...

Smithstonian "mississippi mud" Spent way too much PlayPal $$$ on this, but it's worth it!
    Why? I thought the only the only one that anyone cares about was the stock copy with 'Just Sittin' on it. Should I feel a bit foolish for passing on $1 copies of the 'Mississippi Mud' promo press twice in the last year. Did I sleep?

just got back from seeing my mum in guildford -- spent a few hours in the insanely nice-priced Ben's collectors records and got loads of great stuff cheap.
    Oh snap. Memory. Ben's was the first store I visited in a semi-jetlagged state after getting picked up from the airport when I went to the UK last year. I spent a couple days in that area before moving on to London. Nice place, I think from memory I grabbed a few nice LPs from there that day. It is a good store & I remember wishing some of the London stores were priced a bit better similar to Ben's.

• Got into some 45s this week...All real world for less than a dollar other than the Smithstonian...

Smithstonian "mississippi mud" Spent way too much PlayPal $$$ on this, but it's worth it!
    Why? I thought the only the only one that anyone cares about was the stock copy with 'Just Sittin' on it. Should I feel a bit foolish for passing on $1 copies of the 'Mississippi Mud' promo press twice in the last year. Did I sleep?

Although i've never heard the "just sittin'" track, I thought the stock copy was sought after for the "mississippi mud" side...Killer track either way, the "mississippi mud" promo goes for loot too, yes you sleep, zzz zzz zzz!

Although i've never heard the "just sittin'" track, I thought the stock copy was sought after for the "mississippi mud" side...Killer track either way, the "mississippi mud" promo goes for loot too, yes you sleep, zzz zzz zzz!
    Cool, learn something everyday, I'll mp3 'Just Sittin' for you & post it up, I like that song better.

• just got back from seeing my mum in guildford -- spent a few hours in the insanely nice-priced Ben's collectors records and got loads of great stuff cheap.
    Oh snap. Memory. Ben's was the first store I visited in a semi-jetlagged state after getting picked up from the airport when I went to the UK last year. I spent a couple days in that area before moving on to London. Nice place, I think from memory I grabbed a few nice LPs from there that day. It is a good store & I remember wishing some of the London stores were priced a bit better similar to Ben's.

yeah -- Ben's is one of the most reasonably priced record stores ive been to here in the UK --- always walk away wity ha few bargains im pleased with. lovely bloke aswell.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

That David Astri is nice. Coincidentally, I found it in the same batch as my copy of "Let My People Come". Weird.

Here you go, Smithstonian - Just Sittin'. Enjoy.

• Here you go, Smithstonian - Just Sittin'. Enjoy.

Pretty cool, thanks for posting...Mississippi Mud is still my shit, though!

• Why? I thought the only the only one that anyone cares about was the stock copy with 'Just Sittin' on it. Should I feel a bit foolish for passing on $1 copies of the 'Mississippi Mud' promo press twice in the last year. Did I sleep?

Holmes was sleeping.... but Doughboy wasn't

Copies are not exactly minters though VG+++ at best. Still, a nice pull - that and the Rudy Love Suffering Wrath 7" (my first real Northern?) were my finds of the year... which is kind of sad.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Copies are not exactly minters though VG+++ at best.

If there were such a thing as "VG+++" wouldn't it basically
    just mean "mint" anyway?

Holmes was sleeping.... but Doughboy wasn't

Copies are not exactly minters though VG+++ at best. Still, a nice pull - that and the Rudy Love Suffering Wrath 7" (my first real Northern?) were my finds of the year... which is kind of sad.
    Snap, I don't think I even bothered listening to them or checking condition, just kept on flipping after I saw it was the white label "double mud" , glad someone in the know picked one up then.
    I still rate 'Just Sittin' as the better cut though. I guess I can forgive myself for passing, lord knows I scored some bonafide funk & soul gold on 45 out of Groovy this year so I have nothing to complain about.
    Doughboy, we need to meet up & play some records sometime man, seems kinda odd to live in the same small city & not catch up.

• I always thought that Harvey Mandel cover was kinda nasty.

why? is it supposed to be nut?

• ive been looking for that forevaaaaaaaaaa
    never seen the cover, but thatshit is reallly illll
    holy shit

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Long weekend....short on vinyl

• Copies are not exactly minters though VG+++ at best.

If there were such a thing as "VG+++" wouldn't it basically
    just mean "mint" anyway?

VG++ point. Excuse my fat fingered typing.... I'm remedial incharge of a keyboard.

And Kris - yes, we must join forces in the New Year... have just started doing a few more events after having a baby (read: ending all other interests in life).... got Pete Isaac coming from Jelly Jazz in UK up to Leigh on Jan 04th, then looking at some band / DJ stuff in March. Will keep you posted... hell, we could probably even.... trade! Shock. Horror.

• Long weekend....short on vinyl

Wow, every last copy of Abreast Of Soul I've ever seen was in B&W - never saw that woman flashing tit in color before. Just like with Ike Turner's A Black Man's Soul, seems Pompeii Records had a thing about alternate covers.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    seems Pompeii Records had a thing about alternate covers.

More specifically, probably had a thing for not spending
    money on later pressings. Someone else had the color cover
    on here a while back, and I was like wha? myself because I
    had only seen the black and white breastesses for years.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

ive been looking for that forevaaaaaaaaaa
    never seen the cover, but thatshit is reallly illll
    holy shit

always liked that Broughton Band LP.
    i distinctly remember when i bought the first copy of that....
    walked out of the store, i was in college.
    holding the record up to look at it once outside...
    and the vinyl falls right out of the sleeve, drops straight to the curb, and chips off most of the first song on both sides....

it was painful.