Bell Biv DeVoe - Poison

Comments

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

the intro to the routine when he acts as bell biv and devoe as individuals is hilarious

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Hey,

I was 21 years old in 1990. I was pumpin' the 1990 classics like "Wake Up," "Bonita Applebum," "Mama Said Knock You Out," "Crossover," "Love's Gonna Get'cha (Material Love)," "Ya Wish Ya Could," "Just to Get a Rep," "Hip-Hop Junkies" and on and on... I was a blunt smokin', Old Gold drinkin', vodka chuggin', ho chaser

ME TOO! LOL

I remember my boys and I going to the bar in town. Our buddy the dj would always play "do it to the crowd" by twin hype for us. He played mostly dance music but that one I guess fit his format. good times.......bring back the 8-ball jacket!!!!

• heard Poison last night in the club. it never fails to make me realize how much younger all the other heads in the club are.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    heard Poison last night in the club. it never fails to make me realize how much younger all the other heads in the club are.

People using the word "headz" in '07 = official old man in the club status

• heard Poison last night in the club. it never fails to make me realize how much younger all the other heads in the club are.

People using the word "headz" in '07 = official old man in the club status

I'm saying.

"He ain't really old, just a little too old to be in the club..."

• Anyone got love for the second LP??
    Hootie Mack and Above The Rim were my jams..

Can't say I really check for the second album much, but I'm glad it exists or else it wouldn't have inspired those lines in "Electric Relaxation" by ATCQ:

'You got BBD all on your bedroom wall
    But I'm Above the Rim and this is how I ball'

• the music channel is telling me Kwame co wrote poison.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    BUMP.

BBD's Poison has worked its way into way too many of the DJ sets I've heard in the last 6 months. at first it was like "word" and then it was like "huh everyone's been playing this; word" and now when I hear it it may as well be a T-Pain song. I still acknowledge the hotness of this jam. but really it's time to let it rest again for a while.

(this poast will no doubt invite snide remarks about the lame venues/nights that I frequent. bring it.)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Nostalgic 20 somethin's that were babies when it was on MTV.

• Options
    This old when BBD was in heavy rotation.

Is that K-Y behind yo head?

• Options
    Is that K-Y behind yo head?

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i was ripe young 20. making beats and djing for a crew called EQ out of vancouver BC. this was around the time i was rocking rayon dress shirts, patent leather shoes and yes i hate to admit it, hammer pants. also tried to grow the white boy flat top ala mc serch.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

i would have sold my family for that sweatshirt.

And it looks like you're rockin the matching pants.

• That jam was ceretified. I was 17 when it came out. Were there any drums close to being that hard in an 80's r&b song at that point? What other r&b joints were sampling Kool G Rap?

I think ?Love said once that BBD was the first r&b group that seemed more influenced by hip hop than r&b.

As corny as "Mentally hip hop smoothed out on the r&b tip with a pop appeal" sounds it was pretty dang accurate.

I think ?Love said once that BBD was the first r&b group that seemed more influenced by hip hop than r&b.

I think it was more of a case of Bell,Bivins and Devoe realizing after Bobby and Ralph were on solo missions, thay had to up the ante. New Jack Swing w/ more Samples.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    all I'm saying is stop playing it in 2008.

it's like the song has been played out for a second time.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    As big as Poison was, my memory still has it buried deeeeeeeeeeeep below the outrageously bonkers phenomenon called Bobby Borwn's Don't Be Cruel album that came out a couple of years before it.

Funny though that this conversation about Poison coincides with me just yesterday reminiscing about all of the dudes who lived in my dorm that would assemble in the stairwells to practice their Boyz II Men routines. It was that, or stepping...very hard, combat boot, Atomic Dog style stepping...both of which I prefer so so so very much to the snap yo fingers, two step, drill team-esque ish of today.

As big as Poison was, my memory still has it buried deeeeeeeeeeeep below the outrageously bonkers phenomenon called Bobby Borwn's Don't Be Cruel album that came out a couple of years before it.

Dont Be Cruel was crazy but Poison was killin it in the streets.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    just yesterday reminiscing about all of the dudes who lived in my dorm that would assemble in the stairwells to practice their Boyz II Men routines.

what's the ss consensus on boyz ii men? i know some of their sh*t is corny and they come on when i am getting my teeth cleaned, but if i didn't have a mouth full of gauze i'd be singing a long. "water runs dry" "bended knee" "motown philly" "hey lover"

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    I think 2008 should be the year that "Do Me" makes a comeback since "Poison" has already had its time in the sun.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    soulmarcosa swears this song marks the generation gap between us - I was 13 when this song was the shit

Yeah, I was 20, and in 1990 I thought pretty much anything on the radio sucked, New Jack Swing included. I mean, after the 1-2 Def Jam punch of NATION OF MILLIONS and SOUTH OF HEAVEN just two years previous, why the fuck would I care about this lightweight cornball shit?

I still don't get its appeal, but always have it with me for wedding gigs because anyone in marrying age nowadays will inevitably end up requesting it.

Of course, me being 7 years older than DigDug, I gave - and still give - New Edition props. The 80s J5? Yes plaese.

I dunno...in Houston where I was, Bobby Brown's big moment sonned BBD's big moment on some this-ain't-kid-shit-anymore.

I've always liked it to a certain degree, but in my mind Poison kinda took up where Salt N Pepa's Push It left off in making seemingly legit ish too accessible for herds of cornballs to latch onto. You play either orf those songs, then or now, and you will instantly find people trying too damned hard to be down with the crazy hype smackdown for the booty bucket, yo.

Of course, me being 7 years older than DigDug, I gave - and still give - New Edition props. The 80s J5? Yes plaese.

When Candy Girl first dropped...

I dunno...in Houston where I was, Bobby Brown's big moment sonned BBD's big moment on some this-ain't-kid-shit-anymore.

I've always liked it to a certain degree, but in my mind Poison kinda took up where Salt N Pepa's Push It left off in making seemingly legit ish too accessible for herds of cornballs to latch onto. You play either orf those songs, then or now, and you will instantly find people trying too damned hard to be down with the crazy hype smackdown for the booty bucket, yo.

Of course Bobby Brown album > BBD. He bacame the OG King Of POP from that LP.

BBD had the scruburbian Becky's hot in the ass.

I guess I'm saying then that My Perogative > Poison...but I can admit that that's probably because I was in high school when BB dropped and college when BBD dropped.

But yes, I can imagine the first little dudes who ran up in my younger sister were vibing to Poison as they did their deeds. They certainly dressed and had the haircuts for the part.

Again maybe this has more to do with my age, but I'm still a Hammer's first album over Poison any day of the week dude.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    I think 2008 should be the year that "Do Me" makes a comeback since "Poison" has already had its time in the sun.

i've been playing "do me" for the last couple months... i try to stay away from poison, but it does come out from time to time...

I guess I'm saying then that My Perogative > Poison...but I can admit that that's probably because I was in high school when BB dropped and college when BBD dropped.

But yes, I can imagine the first little dudes who ran up in my younger sister were vibing to Poison as they did their deeds. They certainly dressed and had the haircuts for the part.

Again maybe this has more to do with my age, but I'm still a Hammer's first album over Poison any day of the week dude.

Poison & Do Me..........but....

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    "It???s poison
    Don???t be cruel, it???s my prerogative
    To do what I gotta do, have a little sensitivity
    Do me, baby, I wanna get rubbed the right way
    So what you gotta say
    Oh, no, she???s a candy girl livin??? in a half-crazy world
    That???s the way I???m livin???, girl
    Now every little step I take is another NE heartbreak
    My, my, my"

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts