New Ghostface album

124»

Comments

• I think it's only a relevant "club" record in New York.

Ghostface = New York artist, quintessentially

Has there been a record since "Cherchez" that was big in a club anywhere else?

Can't do the wu tang to wu tang, what's the world coming to!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    I gotta admit I wasn't expecting too much from this, but this sounds surprisingly good! I wasn't sold on the "Celebrate" joint, but the rest of it sounded real proper.

I dunno, I liked that. I've been playing the Rare Earth o.g. out for years, and I like the way [whoever did the beat] flipped it - simple but effective.

co-sign

the looping of the feedback intro was very cool...

i am halfway thru listening and it reminds me most of Iron Man, honestly... a lot of simple solid soul samples and classic breaks... so far, nothing super weird on a MF Doom style or nothing clubbed out either... very solid...

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

Sales wise too, be easy outsold TUSH 4 to 1, and still sells now where as Tush is releagated to dollar bin obscurity.

And this was a great way to get "Holla" on the flip for cheap on 12.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    "Be Deejy!"

Graemlin pleez

• This thread should be deleted... I came in here thinking that heads on this site were actually gonna drop science on ghost's new album... Instead of discussing, people are bitching over bullshit singles from older albums that never held any weight... Old heads need to go back to their office jobs...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This thread should be deleted... I came in here thinking that heads on this site were actually gonna drop science on ghost's new album... Instead of discussing, people are bitching over bullshit singles from older albums that never held any weight... Old heads need to go back to their office jobs...

What a great contribution. Now I gotta revisit your first 186 posts for overlooked gemz.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I gotta admit I wasn't expecting too much from this, but this sounds surprisingly good! I wasn't sold on the "Celebrate" joint, but the rest of it sounded real proper.

I dunno, I liked that. I've been playing the Rare Earth o.g. out for years, and I like the way [whoever did the beat] flipped it - simple but effective.

co-sign

the looping of the feedback intro was very cool...

Camp Lo - "82 Afros"(feat. ski) uses it better imo.

• Does the rapp-patrol agree that overall, Ghost picks some shitty-ass beats?

• Does the rapp-patrol agree that overall, Ghost picks some shitty-ass beats?

not really at all.

I just felt that for someone of his level of rapping-lips he picks some real sloppy madlib esque b.s.

• This thread should be deleted... I came in here thinking that heads on this site were actually gonna drop science on ghost's new album... Instead of discussing, people are bitching over bullshit singles from older albums that never held any weight... Old heads need to go back to their office jobs...

What a great contribution. Now I gotta revisit your first 186 posts for overlooked gemz.

Get at me fam! If there's nothing there that u can call me out on, be sure to check out my blog (www.djsoulnyc.blogspot.com)... I'm sure there's more than enough material there for me to be punked! And after u call me out, hit me with a pm cuz I'll invite u to hang with me in person on Wednesday where I'll be playing this Complex magazine party from 8-11pm... And if you're really a trooper, I'll invite to hang afterwards cuz I'll be spinnin at Pink Elephant... Drinks is on me... No joke!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

"Tush" fits in w/ "Cherchez La Ghost" and "Sunshowers" and other disco-club joints that Ghost has released and I think that sound works a lot better for him than straightforward pete rock boom bap, at least (especially) for a lead single.

i don't even have anything against the idea of pete rock in a club setting (thinking contemporary club setting here, obv if we're talking throwback early-mid 90s rap mix its a different deal) - i think 'holdin it down' sounds amazing in the club. But yeah, "Be Easy" is about as rote and generic a single as ghost has ever released to my ears.

I never really looked at it as a "single" despite seeing it appear on 12". Rote? I don't know, after cutting "Cherchez" (great), "Sunshowers" (ok), and then "Tush" (also, just OK) it seemed to me that the opposite was true - OH BOY ANOTHER GHOSTFACE DISCO JAM I mean granted I like "Tush" but still. "Be Easy" is a dope beat - the flip of that Sylvers sample is something I tried for years to pull off and it's a perfect example of what makes Pete a legendary producer. I really have trouble understanding how you'd hear that record and be like "ho hum" I think maybe we don't frequent the same events

Yeah, I'm not really getting from "Be Easy" what you are ... maybe its easy to appreciate if yr really into the craft of the digging-sampling-beatmaking thing, but from a club perspective i don't get why that should matter.

CLUB COMPLIANCE IN FULL EFFECT

Dude, nobody even plays rap in the clurb!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who the hell cares?

• It's just a silly internet argument... Soul's right, nobody does care (although I be damned if I ever set foot in an office again )

So the only way Is can listen to this thing is to stream it? Fuckers. Maybe today.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    It's just a silly internet argument... Soul's right, nobody does care (although I be damned if I ever set foot in an office again )

So the only way Is can listen to this thing is to stream it? Fuckers. Maybe today.

The dirty GroupRip is making it's way round the internet for download.

Having given the album a couple more listens i'm still not entirely convinced about how great it is as a whole though there are undoubtedly stand out tracks. However, Yolanda's House and Barrell Brothers aside, there doesn't seem to be too much making me want to rush back and listen to it again. There's nothing wrong with the album as such - maybe I'm just blase about Ghost's style these days. I also don't think my appreciation of it has been helped by Freeway's album coming out so close to it.