New Ghostface album

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    am i supposed to be embarrassed by this or something? I stand by everything I said in that thread. No question Missy is overrated by folks who don't listen to hip-hop and wear tightpants, but she's still a great party rapper period.

now you dont like tight pants either?

tight pants > You

• Rebel INS should have been one of the first WU solo albums...that would have been

• "Tush" fits in w/ "Cherchez La Ghost" and "Sunshowers" and other disco-club joints that Ghost has released and I think that sound works a lot better for him than straightforward pete rock boom bap, at least (especially) for a lead single.

i don't even have anything against the idea of pete rock in a club setting (thinking contemporary club setting here, obv if we're talking throwback early-mid 90s rap mix its a different deal) - i think 'holdin it down' sounds amazing in the club. But yeah, "Be Easy" is about as rote and generic a single as ghost has ever released to my ears.

I never really looked at it as a "single" despite seeing it appear on 12". Rote? I don't know, after cutting "Cherchez" (great), "Sunshowers" (ok), and then "Tush" (also, just OK) it seemed to me that the opposite was true - OH BOY ANOTHER GHOSTFACE DISCO JAM I mean granted I like "Tush" but still. "Be Easy" is a dope beat - the flip of that Sylvers sample is something I tried for years to pull off and it's a perfect example of what makes Pete a legendary producer. I really have trouble understanding how you'd hear that record and be like "ho hum" I think maybe we don't frequent the same events

• Rebel INS should have been one of the first WU solo albums...that would have been

there might have been a while there when INS was underrated, but I fear the pendulum has actually swung too far in the other direction at this point.

the one INS has gone from overshadowed by the early Wu solo joints, to finally recognized as the dope rapper he is, to actually being overrated among Wu fans at this point.

sure he's a dope rapper. hell he's probably better than Rae as a rapper. but he doesn't have anywhere near as dope a solo joint as the purple tape.

and he's had plenty of chances to drop dope solo albums. Uncontrolled Substance was pretty good. but his two subsequent tapes? totally forgettable. he's a solid member and obviously sons the likes of Cappadonna (hi Faux!) and U-God and arguably Rae. but he's still nowhere near the Ghost-Meth-Gza-ODB level.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Its funny how Deej still manages to show his ass on the most basic of levels.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Its funny how Deej still manages to show his ass on the most basic of levels.
    u are a waste of space

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    the next time you are about to click the 'reply' button, don't.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

"Tush" fits in w/ "Cherchez La Ghost" and "Sunshowers" and other disco-club joints that Ghost has released and I think that sound works a lot better for him than straightforward pete rock boom bap, at least (especially) for a lead single.

i don't even have anything against the idea of pete rock in a club setting (thinking contemporary club setting here, obv if we're talking throwback early-mid 90s rap mix its a different deal) - i think 'holdin it down' sounds amazing in the club. But yeah, "Be Easy" is about as rote and generic a single as ghost has ever released to my ears.

I never really looked at it as a "single" despite seeing it appear on 12". Rote? I don't know, after cutting "Cherchez" (great), "Sunshowers" (ok), and then "Tush" (also, just OK) it seemed to me that the opposite was true - OH BOY ANOTHER GHOSTFACE DISCO JAM I mean granted I like "Tush" but still. "Be Easy" is a dope beat - the flip of that Sylvers sample is something I tried for years to pull off and it's a perfect example of what makes Pete a legendary producer. I really have trouble understanding how you'd hear that record and be like "ho hum" I think maybe we don't frequent the same events

i appreciate the serious response

Yeah, I'm not really getting from "Be Easy" what you are ... maybe its easy to appreciate if yr really into the craft of the digging-sampling-beatmaking thing*, but from a club perspective i don't get why that should matter. To me its just really kind of 'there,' nothing really hitting about the track at all. Obv at this point we're talking about 'to each his own' and while I can see where yr going with the disco thing, there aren't many rap artists that a) use that sound and b) use it effectively (still sound interested and work with the beat as ghost does) so I've never really tired of it as a sound. Where as there are 600 dudes still mining the breakbeat funk as an aesthetic (its funny too cuz the sylvers did plenty of disco-y tracks ... so while he might be flipping the sample in an interesting way, why does he reject the disco template? I mean, i know why - his songs tend to pretty much use the same/similar rhythmic structure cuz thats his style but can u see why I might find it rote as a result vs. the clubby, extroverted sound of something like "cherchez" or "tush" or "Ooh Wee"?

*and i am kind of into this ... but from a more pop perspective i guess, feeling a record and trying to figure out why it worked on me this way emotionally vs. how other songs might sound emotionally flat etc. ... not saying this isnt yr approach but to me whatever cool tricks PR was doing with the sample might be interesting on a micro level but the end result seems underwhelming

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    the next time you are about to click the 'reply' button, don't.
    eat my ass dickcheese

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

"Tush" fits in w/ "Cherchez La Ghost" and "Sunshowers" and other disco-club joints that Ghost has released and I think that sound works a lot better for him than straightforward pete rock boom bap, at least (especially) for a lead single.

Yeah, I'm not really getting from "Be Easy" what you are ... maybe its easy to appreciate if yr really into the craft of the digging-sampling-beatmaking thing, but from a club perspective i don't get why that should matter.

CLUB COMPLIANCE IN FULL EFFECT

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Be Eazy is str8lava

• I don't sit there and think "wow, what a great way to flip the Sylvers sample" (esp not in the clurb) so much as that I knew the sample would've always worked if done right. That's what I meant in saying that I tried for years to basically do just what Pete did, I knew it would've made a hot track and the first time I heard it (Long Island Expressway, 3pm, Envy I think) I just heard that horn line and was like OH SHIT! Granted, the same way that Tush seemed pretty by-the-numbers it's also somewhat patented-Ghost-realheadz-formula to rock an open drum break and a horn stab '88 style. It's just for me I can take maybe 1 Ghostdisco track and I could listen to an entire album of him rocking breaks... despite there being 1000s of other artists mining that material NOBODY does it like Ghost. You say tomato

So yeah it's not an analytical "this is a hot chop job" it's just a knocking beat. It gets me amped up. While I am aware that the "Take that fake shit sell it on ebay" line is not the strongest I am not really wetting it because the beat is sick. This may be a difference in appreciation of That Real Schitt (tm).

I don't sit there and think "wow, what a great way to flip the Sylvers sample" (esp not in the clurb) so much as that I knew the sample would've always worked if done right. That's what I meant in saying that I tried for years to basically do just what Pete did, I knew it would've made a hot track and the first time I heard it (Long Island Expressway, 3pm, Envy I think) I just heard that horn line and was like OH SHIT! Granted, the same way that Tush seemed pretty by-the-numbers it's also somewhat patented-Ghost-realheadz-formula to rock an open drum break and a horn stab '88 style. It's just for me I can take maybe 1 Ghostdisco track and I could listen to an entire album of him rocking breaks... despite there being 1000s of other artists mining that material NOBODY does it like Ghost. You say tomato

So yeah it's not an analytical "this is a hot chop job" it's just a knocking beat. It gets me amped up. While I am aware that the "Take that fake shit sell it on ebay" line is not the strongest I am not really wetting it because the beat is sick. This may be a difference in appreciation of That Real Schitt (tm).

No doubt. Sometimes its that (K.eep I.t S.imple S.tupid) ideas that work.

That Nautilis shit he did is still hot to this day.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I don't sit there and think "wow, what a great way to flip the Sylvers sample" (esp not in the clurb) so much as that I knew the sample would've always worked if done right. That's what I meant in saying that I tried for years to basically do just what Pete did, I knew it would've made a hot track and the first time I heard it (Long Island Expressway, 3pm, Envy I think) I just heard that horn line and was like OH SHIT! Granted, the same way that Tush seemed pretty by-the-numbers it's also somewhat patented-Ghost-realheadz-formula to rock an open drum break and a horn stab '88 style. It's just for me I can take maybe 1 Ghostdisco track and I could listen to an entire album of him rocking breaks... despite there being 1000s of other artists mining that material NOBODY does it like Ghost. You say tomato

yeah i feel you, and to be clear there are plenty of times where a track like this does work for me and a disco track doesnt (well, there would be if there were more disco raps, i think late 90s puffy/mase/biggie disco was pretty solid too) so there are no hard and fast rules.

i mean put "24 hours to live" up against "holdin it down" and i'd have trouble picking a favorite (altho the lox + dmx >>> whoever those dudes are rapping w/ Big L on the latter)

• (altho the lox + dmx >>> whoever those dudes are rapping w/ Big L on the latter)

I'll concede that stan spit is whack.

but lox + dmx >>> a.g.?

never that.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    yeah fair enough but that verse isn't touching "i got 24 hrs to kick the bucket? fuck it / prolly eat some fried chicken and drink a nantucket"

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I gotta admit I wasn't expecting too much from this, but this sounds surprisingly good! I wasn't sold on the "Celebrate" joint, but the rest of it sounded real proper.

I dunno, I liked that. I've been playing the Rare Earth o.g. out for years, and I like the way [whoever did the beat] flipped it - simple but effective.

Compared to "8 Diagrams", though, this record is much more like it. For me, Ghost has been the most consistent emcee in the game for years - apart from "Bulletproof Wallets" (which I only mention because I know a lot of people don't rate it - I still don't think it's that bad), I'm struggling to think of a out-and-out duff album with his name on it.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    and can those who are feelling this one actually BUY IT?????

seriously, then upload it here to the fools who are on the fence about this album (tightasses)

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

lol at Tush > Be Easy
    You guys have misinterpreted me.

Tush >>>>>>>> Be Easy

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

lol at Tush > Be Easy
    You guys have misinterpreted me.

Tush >>>>>>>> Be Easy
    omg shocking!!!
    u dudes are some rap nazis

• NAGL.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    NAGL.
    i agree

• anyway back to this album, i'm not really feeling it. i mean it's not terrible, but i dunno...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I gotta admit I wasn't expecting too much from this, but this sounds surprisingly good! I wasn't sold on the "Celebrate" joint, but the rest of it sounded real proper.

I dunno, I liked that. I've been playing the Rare Earth o.g. out for years, and I like the way [whoever did the beat] flipped it - simple but effective.

Compared to "8 Diagrams", though, this record is much more like it. For me, Ghost has been the most consistent emcee in the game for years - apart from "Bulletproof Wallets" (which I only mention because I know a lot of people don't rate it - I still don't think it's that bad), I'm struggling to think of a out-and-out duff album with his name on it.

Are we including More Fish in his disocgraphy as that album is truly dire.

Back to the new release, Yolanda's House sons everything on 8 Diagrams by itself and GFK is still one of my favourite rappers around but overall it feels like a bit of a patchy affair that drifts in the second half. Not a bad album at all but I don't think it's going to win deej over.

• sbonesbone 144 Posts
    not really feeling that sup gfk...
    i know thats his gimik but ... it just sounds like noise
    with him rapping over vocals... but overall top stuff

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I'm kinda closer to being with Deej on this than I am to any of the "Be Easy" fans. I too think "Be Easy" is pretty boring and I think it's only a relevant "club" record in New York. Depending on the number of "real heads" in the audience in Philly will dictate whether or not that record did get or would get much of a response out here. I can say with a pretty high level of certainty that at the time it came out "Be Easy" was not getting a lot of play at the bigger clubs here in Philly.

Now of course, that doesn't mean I'm trying to say that "Tush" was really a big club record ANYWHERE. But, I do think "Be Easy" is a bit more "by the numbers" and boring than a song like "Tush."

But really, who cares? Both are mediocre GFK songs anyway.

-e

• i suppose pete rock beat + namedropping 'ebay' in the chorus is a big winner around here

Dudes need to get over their kneejerk reactions to the boy and give him his little props for this one, 'cause that shit is funny.

Ghost say "Be Deejy!"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    i suppose pete rock beat + namedropping 'ebay' in the chorus is a big winner around here

Dudes need to get over their kneejerk reactions to the boy and give him his little props for this one, 'cause that shit is funny.

Deej is one of the best posters on here. I've been known to go at him like an abusive dad, but he's still my little dude (PASUE).

"Be Deejy!"

Graemlin pleez

b/w

my new loc.

• Tush got almost no play out here, where as Be Easy was in rotation, though not heavy.

Sales wise too, be easy outsold TUSH 4 to 1, and still sells now where as Tush is releagated to dollar bin obscurity.

The new Ghost album is dope as hell to me.