Previewing records in the thrifts

oripsorips 238 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
So I'm at my local G**dwill store the other day and one of the employees advises me that I cannot listen to the records on my portable before purchasing them. There are no signs in the store that forbid any previewing of music of any type. This same person a few months ago warned me about not recording the songs onto my portable () of which I explained back then that I was just listening to the records so I know what I'm buying. This is the only person in all of my time spent in the thrifts that has not approved of the crate-digging lifestyle. Has anyone else experienced control-freak store clerks who give you the business when you are minding your own? Should I have a talk with the higher ups at the store about their policy or just add them to my banned list? Save the portable clonning for another time.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    This is the only person in all of my time spent in the thrifts that has not approved of the crate-digging lifestyle.

Plaese to punch yourself in the nose really hard right now.

• If you don't know if you want it for a dollar . . .

if that. most of the time records are 25-50 cents at thrifts around here.

just buy the damn records.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    hahaha!
    is this real?

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    they let you try on clothes which are priced just as cheap, so I don't know why listening to rekkids is such a crime.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    This is the only person in all of my time spent in the thrifts that has not approved of the crate-digging lifestyle.

Plaese to punch yourself in the nose really hard right now.

if the guy wants to live an alternative lifestyle & isn't hurting anyone, let him be.

first white people, now crate diggers

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I keep a big bird turntable in my trunk just in case, there are a few thrifts that I go to where the employees have really gotten to know me over the years and like it when I use the big bird.

Crowds sometimes form around it and people will reminisce about the last time they saw one of "those toys".

The portable isn't something I'd bust at every shop I'd go to just those that are familiar and kind enough with me to let me do so.

If they don't want you using one at their shop, fuck it, its their rules and their records. Can't do much about that now can ya?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    first white people, now crate diggers

And the less said about white crate-diggers the better.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i usually don't preview at thrifts unless there is like a ton of things that look interesting-- 50 cents or a dollar can add up majorly if a collection or tons of 12"s were dropped.

that said, most workers at the thrifts get caught up in how "vintage" it is and all that and think it is neat.

only once at a thrift there was some jerk who told me to put it away and that i was in the way of "customers" -- as if i wasn't a customer! and i was in the way of no one.

• Crowds sometimes form around it and people will reminisce about the last time they saw one of "those toys".

Are you sure they're referring to the record player?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

Crowds sometimes form around it and people will reminisce about the last time they saw one of "those toys".

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Most of the time you're not gonna bawlk at paying 50c-$1 for a record. But when you come up on a stash of interesting yet possibly shitty things in an op shop that you don't know, the portable helps separate the wheat from the chaff.

Case in point, a box of Yugoslavian 45s yielded 2 good ones and 98 bad ones. The portable was the only thing that told me which were which!

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Best zing I've got in a while

well played sir

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Haha that was so out of character, which made it even better. A+

We all end up making mistakes buying random private records that suck at the thrift. That's what Waxidermy is for - getting rid of them. (kidding)

• Crowds sometimes form around it and people will reminisce about the last time they saw one of "those toys".

Best zing I've got in a while

well played sir

Nothing personal, you understand. BTW, 99 percent chance I'll be at Buena Park in a couple weeks, I'll say hi.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Post of the year!!

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Sometimes I'll make a little makeshift stereo setup using components they're selling in the electronics dept, and preview records that way. I'll likely be called cheapskate, but it's not about the dough. Its about not bringing home piles of shitty records and cluttering up my dwelling space.

Yeah the thrifts around me have em for 50 cents to $1, but i was at Goodwill in Woodland, CA and they got all the records marked as $2 each and no bartering. Kinda a bummer. But oh well, just choose wisely because i dont own a portable tt.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I can't believe a goodwill employee gave a shit that your were checking the records out. That's dedicated.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Sometimes I'll make a little makeshift stereo setup using components they're selling in the electronics dept, and preview records that way. I'll likely be called cheapskate, but it's not about the dough. Its about not bringing home piles of shitty records and cluttering up my dwelling space.

you're joking, right?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

you're joking, right?

Please tell me that he is.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    This is sorta like those people who are already eating while in line at the grocery store.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    This is sorta like those people who are already eating while in line at the grocery store.

Some chick was feeding her baby out of the unpaid jar in line last night.

I was praying she forgot her wallet.

Although I would have probably ended up paying for it

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    If you don't know if you want it for a dollar . . .

You would need a time machine to get those prices at any thrift in the DC Metro area....

• dont let the man oppress your lifestyle.

if i were you i would write a strongly worded complaint to the manager.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Anyone know how Goodwill decideds record prices? I have 4 of them in about a 20 mile or so radius and one (and luckily the best) has them at 0.25, one at 0.47 and the other two for a dollar?

The only problem i ever have with my portable in the thrift in people always thinking that i'm trying to buy it when i get up to the register.

Toy Comment = Blue Ribbon / Best In Show

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

What's wrong with this? It's hard to resist those string cheeses.

Originally when I read this post I knew it would take the toy police only a matter of seconds to report for duty. But then I thought, oh shit I pulled this same shit at a thrift in San Angelo, TX in January of this year. It was all unplayed promo 45s from the mid 60s and there were tons of them. And at a buck a piece, I justified previewing everything. Call me a nickel dick, but I kinda killed it.

• i think they have a publication that comes out every month from the central office for goodwill management in washington d.c. that lists all the current record prices and then based on geographic location they are afforded a certain amount of discretion to set a price based on the socio-economic factors of the store location using a point system for type of area: urban, suburban, rural, etc.; medium income; average homesales prices; unemployment.

Yeah the thrifts around me have em for 50 cents to $1, but i was at Goodwill in Woodland, CA and they got all the records marked as $2 each and no bartering. Kinda a bummer. But oh well, just choose wisely because i dont own a portable tt.

fuck they are up to 2 dollars now!? that USED to be my secret spot back in when i lived in that area. quinn harris for 1.00, yes plaese.

btw i love using portables in thrifts, i'm not about to buy 58 semi interesting looking religious rock records. i got enough records as it is.