Where does Erick Sermon fall .....

13»

Comments

• Remember E-Double also did this joint.

that's good shit.

• [quote

11. Easy Moe Bee
    12. Grandmaster Flash
    13. Pete Rock
    14. Organized Noize
    15. Scott La Rock
    16. DJ Quik
    17. Kay Gee[/b]
    18. Eric B.
    19. Mannie Fresh
    20. Jermaine Dupri

Kay Gee[/b] nice call! (Hip-Hop hooray was the breakout song at my wedding...)

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Edit: I see that Digital Dream Door's original list was based on the wishy washy criteria "innovation, popularity, creativity, and influence" so I guess that list makes slightly more sense if looked at on popularity alone. Still amusingly shit though.

so wait -- these actually represent an order of best to least good? man I thought this was just a stream of conciousness list of producers. if this really represents somebody's sober, reasoned list of producers from best to least good, then...fuck I don't even know where to begin with how wrong this is.

I don't know how you can question the wisdom and insightful knowledge of a list that recognises that missy should be placed 70 places above Mista Lawnge and that producer extraordinaires Marshall Mathers and andre benjamin should be grouped with Jay Dee in the 60s.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I think its pretty obvious that it was typed off the top of his head and in no particular order.

• Edit: I see that Digital Dream Door's original list was based on the wishy washy criteria "innovation, popularity, creativity, and influence" so I guess that list makes slightly more sense if looked at on popularity alone. Still amusingly shit though.

so wait -- these actually represent an order of best to least good? man I thought this was just a stream of conciousness list of producers. if this really represents somebody's sober, reasoned list of producers from best to least good, then...fuck I don't even know where to begin with how wrong this is.

I don't know how you can question the wisdom and insightful knowledge of a list that recognises that missy should be placed 70 places above Mista Lawnge and that producer extraordinaires Marshall Mathers and andre benjamin should be grouped with Jay Dee in the 60s.

I'm saying. I think we had a brief thread on this ranking list some months back, right? In any case it's fine as a valueless list of producers, but then people on here started actually arguing the merits of the order , (an order which can only be described as totallycrazy.)

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I think its pretty obvious that it was typed off the top of his head and in no particular order.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    [quote

11. Easy Moe Bee
    12. Grandmaster Flash
    13. Pete Rock
    14. Organized Noize
    15. Scott La Rock
    16. DJ Quik
    17. Kay Gee[/b]
    18. Eric B.
    19. Mannie Fresh
    20. Jermaine Dupri

Kay Gee[/b] nice call! (Hip-Hop hooray was the breakout song at my wedding...)
    I wonder dude is doing now because he most definitely influenced the sonic landscape of 90's hiphop. You cant front on Zhane.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Edit: I see that Digital Dream Door's original list was based on the wishy washy criteria "innovation, popularity, creativity, and influence" so I guess that list makes slightly more sense if looked at on popularity alone. Still amusingly shit though.

I'm saying. I think we had a brief thread on this ranking list some months back, right? In any case it's fine as a valueless list of producers, but then people on here started actually arguing the merits of the order , (an order which can only be described as totallycrazy.)

Absolutely. However, the thing that throws me every time is that there is a link at the bottom to the previous list which was revised after reader feedback. In the original list note the excited ranking of eminem in the 30s.

1. Dr. Dre
    2. DJ Premier
    3. Marley Marl
    4. The Bomb Squad
    5. Rick Rubin
    6. Timbaland
    7. Ali Shaheed Mohammed
    8. The Neptunes
    9. RZA
    10. Prince Paul
    11. Easy Moe Bee
    12. Grandmaster Flash
    13. Pete Rock
    14. Organized Noize
    15. Scott La Rock
    16. DJ Quik
    17. Kay Gee
    18. Eric B.
    19. Mannie Fresh
    20. Jermaine Dupri
    21. Wyclef Jean
    22. Puff Daddy
    23. Erick Sermon
    24. Swizz Beatz
    25. The Hitmen
    26. Howie Tee
    27. Da Beatminerz
    28. Missy Elliott
    29. The 45 King
    30. D-Nice
    31. DJ Jazzy Jeff
    32. Herbie "Luv Bug" Azor
    33. Trakmasterz
    34. Havoc
    35. Kanye West
    36. Jam Master Jay
    37. Dust Brothers
    38. ?uestlove
    39. Eminem
    40. Lil Jon
    41. Mel-Man
    42. Just Blaze
    43. Clark Kent
    44. Ummah
    45. Earthtone III
    46. Full Force
    47. Chucky Thompson
    48. DJ Pooh
    49. Diamond D
    50. Madlib
    51. Dan the Automater
    52. Large Professor
    53. Scott Storch
    54. Salaam Remi
    55. Chief Excel
    56. J-Rawls
    57. Warren G.
    58. El-P
    59. 4th Disciple
    60. Jay-Dee
    61. Andre 3000
    62. Irv Gotti
    63. Jay Biz
    64. Ski
    65. Grand Puba
    66. Battlecat
    67. Afrika Bambaataa
    68. Beats by the Pound
    69. DeVante Swing
    70. KLC
    71. Shock G
    72. DJ U-Neek
    73. Jazze Pha
    74. DJ Honda
    75. Teflon
    76. Kid Capri
    77. Juicy J
    78. T-Mix
    79. Jason "Jay E" Epperson
    80. DJ Funkmaster Flex
    81. DJ Skribble
    82. Carlos Stephens
    83. Teddy Riley
    84. Mr. Cee
    85. Ant Banks
    86. DJ Clue?
    87. Ice Cube
    88. DJ Shadow
    89. Ron "Amen-Ra" Lawrence
    90. The Beatnuts
    91. Tru Master
    92. DJ Squeeky
    93. Johnny J
    94. QD III
    95. Chryskillz
    96. Mister Lawnge
    97. DJ Scratch
    98. DJ Shok
    99. Lollipop
    100. Soopafly

This revision forces the conclusion that time and effort has been put in by more than one person into this list. They are not alone.

• While we're talking about Erick Sermon, i just want to mention his 12" 'Music' which used Marvin Gaye (unreleased master tapes if i remember right?)..... an incredible track, i need that 12" can anyone help me?

i always forget about that one- it is THEE jam!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Dont get this shit twisted....This list was gooogled...this is not my ranking at all.

Someone said he wasnt game changing........thats bull...the Zapp sample shifted the entire game away from the James Brown dependence - which was BIG!!!!!

• Options
    Please don't sleep on The e double's early rhymes though, some of my favorite shit.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Please don't sleep on The e double's early rhymes though, some of my favorite shit.

Thats another thread.