AUSTIN - This weekend, what goes on?!

Medium_DudeMedium_Dude 153 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I know there's the Fun Fun Fun Fest going on, but what else is going on this Sat/Sun?Is FoS easily accessible? Is there any other record spots i should be lookin for?Besides eating Taco Shack and Juan In A Million, and running this Race For The Cure, i gots time to explore... Any/all suggestions are welcomed and greatly appreciated!Thanks friends!

Comments

• Is FoS easily accessible?

Hmm. How good are you at slaying dragons and/or demons?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The Texas Longhorns exhibition basketball game against Xavier (LA) tonight (Friday) at the Erwin Center is free to the public.

• GP - I haven't rolled a 16-sided die in ages, but slaying dragons and demons is like riding a bike!

Harvey - I prolly would have hit that up actually, but i only get in round midnite...

• Yeah dude. FoS is easily accessible. South Congress. The only thing you need to know is that the entrance is actually from the back alley (no ayo). Must visit. I need to go there myself this weekend and see what's new since ARC.

• Excellent! Thanks for the heads up about the entrance... Will definitely be stopping by!

CoolHands - Will you be at the shop this weekend? (This is Mike B, formerly of WRVU/Caroline Dist... In case you're wondering)

• Excellent! Thanks for the heads up about the entrance... Will definitely be stopping by!

CoolHands - Will you be at the shop this weekend? (This is Mike B, formerly of WRVU/Caroline Dist... In case you're wondering)

I don't know how frequently D checks this board but he's usually there all day on Saturday.

• Thanks dude, I'll try to ring him at the store.

You might also like to check out Backspin Records on Burnet.

And if you are looking for any Texas rap cd's...Music Mania at 38th and IH-35, next to Fiesta.

• You might also like to check out Backspin Records on Burnet.

And if you are looking for any Texas rap cd's...Music Mania at 38th and IH-35, next to Fiesta.

Are you sure Backspin is still there? Talked to Zach at the show and they were supposed to be moving to the new digs this week. Remember where ABCDs used to be on Airport in that strip center with the pool hall? They're moving over there.

Also End of an Ear on South 1st is a cool shop. Antone's on Guadalupe. Spend some time strolling down the Drag and check out the eye candy.

• Thanks fellas! My girl knows her way around the ATX, so i'm sure i'll be making it by all these spots over the weekend.

You might also like to check out Backspin Records on Burnet.

Are you sure Backspin is still there? Talked to Zach at the show and they were supposed to be moving to the new digs this week. Remember where ABCDs used to be on Airport in that strip center with the pool hall? They're moving over there.

Also End of an Ear on South 1st is a cool shop. Antone's on Guadalupe. Spend some time strolling down the Drag and check out the eye candy.

Not sure when the move was supposed to happen. So if they ain't at Burnet, check out Airport...they're not far apart at all.

Speaking of Airport, breakfast from Tamale House on Airport is about as authentic Austin as it gets.

Taco Shack is alright...but that's about it IMO.

And don't let anyone talk you into going to Guerro's, it's straight bush league.

Never been to Juan in a Million...

• Never been to Juan in a Million...

DUDE.

Don Juan Taco like $2.50 or some shit....you won't be hungry for hours. Best owner handshake as well. You should check it out.

You never eating at JiaM is like me having not eaten at Gene's yet.

Never been to Juan in a Million...

DUDE.

Don Juan Taco like $2.50 or some shit....you won't be hungry for hours. Best owner handshake as well. You should check it out.

You never eating at JiaM is like me having not eaten at Gene's yet.

So it's like THAT?!?!

Challenging my manhood and shit.

Don't make me ask if you've ever had Tamaleo (it used to be on Anderson)...

http://www.tamaleo.com/

• Haha. No, I really haven't eaten at Gene's yet!!! It's criminal.

Haha. No, I really haven't eaten at Gene's yet!!! It's criminal.

You haven't eaten at Gene's?!?! Not sure how big roast beef po-boys were in your neck of the bayou, but I grew up on em...and I had yet to eat a good one outside of New Orleans for decades on end...that is, until I had one at Gene's, then another, then another, and so on...

Tamaleo-wise...she's known for her tamales which are great, but this to me is her specialty...

Another entr??e we sampled was an incredible Lamb Shoulder Barbacoa ($6.45): meltingly tender chunks of lamb that have been cooked in banana leaves, then topped with a rich, piquant seasoned lamb stock.

• So, i got Tamale House, Gene's and Tamaleo on the list (that Lamb dish sounds so scrumptous!), as well as the other record spots... Shaping up to be a tasty weekend!

So, i got Tamale House, Gene's and Tamaleo on the list (that Lamb dish sounds so scrumptous!), as well as the other record spots... Shaping up to be a tasty weekend!

Those are basically 3 to-go spots, so after you throw Hoover's into the mix for some down-home treatment, you still might want to get a little more regal with yours. GP might protest, but my stock recommendation as of late has been Ms. B's on East 11th.

• I'm still takin notes...

And you MUST do yourself a favor and peep Juan In A Million, if only for the name. (the food is ridic too)

I'm still takin notes...

And you MUST do yourself a favor and peep Juan In A Million, if only for the name. (the food is ridic too)

Oh yes, I will soon be eating there. Just asked dude I share an office with, you ever been to Juan in a Million...answer: lots of times.

Apparently, I've been caught sleeping.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    If you're looking for good upscale dining check out Castle Hill on 5th street.

Their Duck Gumbo is unfuckwithable.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    These threads always turn into a long list of restaurant recommendations. I'm not complaining, I just think it is funny that the focus turns toward food.

Not sure if you are into VW's or not but this is a free event. There should be some beer and barbeque. I'll be showing my '56 bug out there.

These threads always turn into a long list of restaurant recommendations. I'm not complaining, I just think it is funny that the focus turns toward food.

For me nothing ruins a trip more than eating at some crappy restaurant and then hearing about all the spots I SHOULDA ate at after the fact.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    I'm with ya on that. I'd rather eat good food when traveling around.

Went to the Houfbrau for a steak today at lunch...delicious.

I still need to try that duck gumbo at Castle Hill.

Yes, this is a great town for food.

• I've been to Juan in a Million a few times....not bad. Texas Monthly had an article in '99 about the best Mexican food restaurants in Texas, and they mentioned this place. The thing I didn't get though, is that they said El Azteca was too "Tex-Mex" to get mentioned, but then they plugged JiaM. Doesn't make sense to me, El Azteca defintiely veers off the Tex-Mex path with Cabrito and other dishes while JiaM sticks pretty close to traditional Tex Mex formula. And that is not a diss, I love me some authentic Tex-Mex.

you could get lost in Austin eating great mexican/tex-mex food. it's almost everywhere you turn.

My fav...Evita's Botanitas om South 1st.

• I've never had lunch or dinner at JiaM, just breakfast.

Is this the very small joint with the revolving tray of like 10 salsa's at each table??

if so I give it two thumbs up!!

• My fav...Evita's Botanitas om South 1st.

Is this the very small joint with the revolving tray of like 10 salsa's at each table??

YES. right on, though its actually six salsas. i LOVE four of those joints. The spicy queso blanco is perfection (melted mexican white cheese mixed with very hot pico de gallo served with home made tortillas). best enchiladas (and plenty to choose from) in town, imo.

YES. right on, though its actually six salsas. i LOVE four of those joints. The spicy queso blanco is perfection (melted mexican white cheese mixed with very hot pico de gallo served with home made tortillas). best enchiladas (and plenty to choose from) in town, imo.

They used to make a mean Cabrito......and the daughters that wait on you are sweethearts....it's just so damn far out of the way.

I don't know much, but I know where to eat.

Went to the Houfbrau for a steak today at lunch...delicious.

I need to go try Hoffbrau Steak still. I saw a piece about them on the KLRU/PBS show Downtown. Ever since I've wanted to go but haven't. What is the deal there? Do they only serve their steaks one way?