Recipe-Strut

iron_monkeyiron_monkey 985 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Man, that "Get Your Ass in the Kitchen" thread was impressive. Didn't realize so many of you had the cooking skills. I do pretty well but don't know how to cook many things, just the standard steak, chicken, fish and pasta or rice... it can get kinda boring after a while... Post up some recipes... it can be any style... looking to improve the home cooking skills and add some tasty joints to the weekly menu. Gracias!

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Roasted Beet Risotto

Drissle some olive oil on 4 medium sized beets, wrap in foil. Roast. remove beet skins.cool down. chop up.

add that shit to risotto........Magenta risotto....

U can swap Chicken stock w/ veggie stock. And dont forget the white wine base.
    Im not gonna write out a recipe for risotto.

• This recipe is not only for a hearty vegan soup, but also provides a recipe for a vegan pesto you can use on its own:

WINTER PESTO SOUP

Ingredients

1/4 c water
    1 ts olive oil
    1 c chopped onion
    5 cloves garlic; minced,
    -divided
    1 c diced red potato
    1 c diced carrot or peeled
    -winter squas; h
    1/2 c chopped celery leaves
    2 c low sodium tomato, canned;
    -chop, w/ juice
    1/2 c canned pinto beans; or
    -kidney
    2 c nonfat vegetarian broth; or
    -water
    2 ts tomato paste
    2 tb minced parsley
    2 ts dried basil
    1 c chopped spinach
    2 tb chopped walnuts; or pine
    -nuts
    1 ts miso; light-colored

Instructions

In a soup pot, heat water and olive oil. When simmering, add onion and
    half the garlic. cook, stirring, 5 - 6 minutes over med heat, or until the
    onion is soft but not browned. Add potatoe, carrot or squash, celery
    leaves, tomatoes and beans. Saute 2 minutes, stirring. Add stock or water,
    tomato paste; bring soup to a boil. Cover and simmer over med heat 15
    minutes, or until potatoes are soft.

In blender, puree remaining garlic, parsley, basil, spinach, nuts and miso
    to make pesto. Before serving, stir pesto into soup.

• I made a huge pot of ministrone last night that was awesome.

what you need:
    dried Cannellini beans (soak half a bag over night - or use any other small white beans)
    1 small potato (peeled)
    1 tomato
    2 carrots, chopped small (slightly larger than a dice - same goes for everything)
    1 red onion, chopped
    2 celery stalks, chopped
    1/2 bulb of fennel, chopped
    1 medium zuchini, chopped
    8 oz of spinach (including stems and roughly chopped)
    1 28 oz can of whole tomatoes
    red wine
    chicken stock or veggie stock
    a couple of slices of bacon or panchetta (optional)
    a handful of basil (including stems)
    3 cloves of garlic, slices very thin
    pasta (a few oz)

cook your beans
    put them in a pot and cover with water. add the whole peeled potato and smash the tomoto in your hand and put that in the pot too. simmer slowly for about an hour until the beans are soft. Discard the potato and drain, keeping about a cup of the cooking water. season the drained beans with some olive oil and salt and pepper.

In a big soup pot, heat up some olive oil. add the chopped bacon, onions, carrots, celery, fennel, garlic, and basil stems. Sweat / saute really slowly on low/medium for about 20 minutes until everything is soft (not brown). season with some salt and pepper.

Next, add the can of tomatoes, a glass and a half or so of red wine (I used chianti) and the zuchini. Simmer for 15 minutes or so. add the spinach and 2-3 cups of stock, and the beans. If it is too thick, add some of the cooking water from the beans or more stock and/or wine. When it gets back to a boil, add the pasta (I used broken spaghetti) and continue cooking until the pasta is done. season with salt and pepper and serve it up with some fresh grated parmesean and basil leaves.

oh, and excuse all my spelling errors. I cook better than I spell.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

grilled tuna and asparagus with saffron rice

saffron rice:
    I bought a large package of Vigo Saffron rice to go with the fish. It takes 20 minutes to make so start the rice when the grill is started. Follow the instructions on the package.

tuna:
    1/2 cup light soy sauce
    2 tablespoons toasted sesame seed oil
    1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
    3 tablespoons sugar
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 1/2 pounds tuna steak (1 inch or thicker), cut into portions

In a plastic bag combine all ingredients except the tuna. Mix the marinade in the bag until combined and add the tuna, coating it completely. Seal the bag, refrigerate, and let the tuna marinate for 1 to 2 hours, turning it occasionally.

Preheat a grill, or broiler with rack in the top position.

Brush the grill with vegetable oil. Discard the marinade and grill the tuna (or broil it on a rack set in a baking pan) for 3 minutes on each side until medium rare.

asparagus:
    1 pound fresh asparagus
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Wash the asparagus then trim off the tough end of the spears. Coat the asparagus in a small pan with the olive oil, kosher salt, and black pepper. Grill for 4 or 5 minutes on high heat alongside the tuna.

serve immediately

• wow! that looks delicious!

keep then recipes coming, por favor...

• Red Lentil Soup

2 cups water (depending on how thick you want it)
    1 cup red lentils
    2 medium sized yellow onions, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 stalks of celery, chopped
    2 carrots, chopped
    1 teaspoon ground turmeric
    1 teaspoon curry powder
    1 bay leaf
    2 Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
    olive oil

Optional:
    saffron, cumin, salt, black pepper, cauliflower, tomato paste

Heat olive oil in the pot. Cook onions for 5 minutes, till they become translucent. Add garlic for 2 minutes, then carrots and celery. Cook until the vegetables are soft. Add turmeric, curry powder, and the other optional ingredients if you choose to. Cook for a minute, then add the water, potatoes, lentils, and bay leaf. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes, until the lentils and potatoes are tender.

Pholourie

2 cups split pea powder
    (you can buy the powder or grind it at home, tho it takes a while)
    1/2 cup flour
    1-2 teaspoon curry powder
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    approx 1 cup water
    vegetable oil

Mix all the ingredients except for the water and oil. Mix and then slowly add in the water, while stirring the mix. Add in the water until the mix forms into a thick batter. Let the mix sit in a refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
    Take the batter and form balls out of them - large enough to hold together but small enough so that it can be cooked evenly. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot, the height should be enough so that it can cover the pholoruie balls if deeply immersed. Once hot, throw in the pholourie balls and cook for about 5 minutes - until they are evenly cooked. Serve with hot mango chutney.

Mary Jane Omelet....

Add a heaping tablespoon of some good weed/herb to three eggs.......

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts

Tournedos klassiek
    tournedos ( fillet mignon )
    meiknol, sunbleeched tomato garnish
    sweet and sour sherry jus
    postelein salad with tarragon and chives
    endive (witlof) from the grill

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    Mary Jane Omelet....

Add a heaping tablespoon of some good weed/herb to three eggs.......

space butter:
    softly melt butter and let your herbs infuse for a few hours on low low heat
    aprox. 60 dgr. C.

skim of the white on top and pass thru a seeve.
    let it set and get rid of the shit on the bottem.
    use the fat to mount (monte au beurre) your sauce.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Heating up herbs is

Heat breaks down active ingredients. Try using a more penetrative oil like grapeseed oil or almond oil, then chop up the herbs in a coffee grinder, add to the oil and let sit in a dark place for a couple of weeks turning the bottle once a week. Strain the oil through cheesecloth or strainer and squeeze out the excess. Discard herb.

For quick and easy whole milk or coconut milk are excellent at extracting the active ingredients due to their HIGH fat content. Take one cup of milk in a saucepan, add 1 puro's (spleefs) worth of herb (always broken up) to the milk, simmer very low for 10-15 minutes, milk should be green. Strain through cheesecloth or fine strainer, be sure to squeeze the herbs to get all of the goodness out. Use milk in any dish/drink you like (milkshake?) just remember to avoid heat at all costs.

Saludos!

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Tofu cashew coconut curry[/b]

1 Package Firm Tofu
    1 Can coconut milk
    1 Red/Green/Orange pepper
    3-4 bunches baby bok choy
    1/2 cup crushed cashews
    Honey
    Chili-garlic sauce
    Oil

Slice up the tofu into desired size, I prefer rectangular chunks of medium size. Salt the tofu a little to pull out excess moisture. Heat a skillet until very hot with oil, brown the tofu until outsie is slightly crispy and inside is soft, lots of oil will give the tofu more interesting texture. When the tofu Is almost done, lower heat and add about 1 1/2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce, try not to breathe as you stir up the tofu chili .

Add sliced up pepper and chopped bok choy (leave out the softer leaves) and stir until slightly soft. Add cashews brown them slightly.

Add can of cocounut milk and season to taste with honey and chili-garlic (if needed).

Serve over jasmine brown rice for best results.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Yummy, that sounds good.

Here is my take on Moroccan Chicken Tangine with CousCous, it has a lot of the same ingredients in your dish.

I recently re-created this dish because my old boss use to make it and I loveddddd it. I wanted it so bad after 5 years of no longer working there. I did a search and ended up marrying a couple recipes together to get what I wanted. It is so amazing if you like BIG flavor and spices, especially cinnamon which should really shine in this dish.

Moroccan Chicken With Saffron CousCous

Chicken Breast 1lb ( You could also use tofu??)
    Shallots
    Garlic ( ground)
    Ginger ( ground)
    Tumeric
    Coriander
    Cumin
    Cinnamon
    Paprika
    Salt and Pepper
    Flour
    Chicken stock
    Honey / Brown Sugar

CousCous:

Toasted slivered Almonds
    Coriander and Cumin
    Currants
    Chicken Stock
    Saffron ( optional) a pinch

Put all the spices in a small bowl, Garlic, Ginger, Tumeric, Corinader, Cumin, Cinnamon, Paprika, Salt and Pepper. Roughly about 1/2- 3/4 a tablespoon of each, the only time I ever measure is while baking, but an equal amount of everything should yield great results. Add a couple tablespoons of honey to make a paste.
    ( you can substitute brown sugar for honey if you want )

Cut Chicken into Chunks and begin cooking in deep fry pan with Shallots, olive oil, salt and pepper. Add a couple tablespoons of flour and a 1 1/2 cups or so of Chicken stock or veggie if your doing it with tofu. Add the spice paste to the fry pan and stir till well blended. Should be a beautiful golden stew, simmer on low till chicken is done.. You can add liquid as needed....should be saucy but not soupy. Taste to see if you want/need anymore spices...if it needs more anything go for it.

Prepare the couscous with Chicken stock, a 1/4 teaspoon each of cumin and corinader ( put these in the water/stock before you add couscous) When the couscous is done and still steaming add toasted almonds, currants and saffron if you are using it.

Serve Stew over couscous. It is one of those OMFG dishes and fairly easy to prepare even if it sounds scary with all the ingredients. This is probably one of my favorite meals ever.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Another way to do it with butter and avoid the heat is to let the butter soften and then stir in the green.

The first (and last time) I took the train to NYC, my friend and I took pot cookies in a brown paperbag that we put in the overhead a little ways down from where we were sitting. We also used a ridiculous amount of spirulina to mask the other green, but they still stank like what they were - lol. Once we were over the border, we et them and got tripped out by this (I think) European guy who had no love for the States. He started talking smack really loudly and swearing his head off through it all. We were trying to quiet him down, but we just kept losing our shit and laughing too hard.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Oh and by the way I'm currently looking for a good recipe for Thai Pumpkin Curry.

I know it has coconut milk, basil, chilis, squash ( either pumpkin or acorn ) But I'm not sure if it has red or yellow curry???

If anyone has a good traditional recipe hook me up! I'm pretty sure its red curry but whenever I get it from my neighborhood thai joint it looks yellow?

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I asked my friend for her guianese spicey pumpkin recipe and will pass it on. It is probably similar; my wife goes cookoo-crazy for this stuff also.

Oh and by the way I'm currently looking for a good recipe for Thai Pumpkin Curry.

I know it has coconut milk, basil, chilis, squash ( either pumpkin or acorn ) But I'm not sure if it has red or yellow curry???

If anyone has a good traditional recipe hook me up! I'm pretty sure its red curry but whenever I get it from my neighborhood thai joint it looks yellow?

Heating up herbs is

Heat breaks down active ingredients. Try using a more penetrative oil like grapeseed oil or almond oil, then chop up the herbs in a coffee grinder, add to the oil and let sit in a dark place for a couple of weeks turning the bottle once a week. Strain the oil through cheesecloth or strainer and squeeze out the excess. Discard herb.

For quick and easy whole milk or coconut milk are excellent at extracting the active ingredients due to their HIGH fat content. Take one cup of milk in a saucepan, add 1 puro's (spleefs) worth of herb (always broken up) to the milk, simmer very low for 10-15 minutes, milk should be green. Strain through cheesecloth or fine strainer, be sure to squeeze the herbs to get all of the goodness out. Use milk in any dish/drink you like (milkshake?) just remember to avoid heat at all costs.

Saludos!

I would think the egg protein would sustain the weed's THC. I get a buzz whenever i do it.

How is it any different from Magic Brownies?

• Oh and by the way I'm currently looking for a good recipe for Thai Pumpkin Curry.

Whoa - my friend Montek just made a Pumpkin masala this weekend. I'll hit him up - it was great!

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I had this typed up for the Super Supper group on LiveJournal already so I thought I'd paste it here for you. This one is one my of new favorite dishes to make because it is quick and easy. I can usually cook and cleanup everything within 20 minutes.

Orange Cashew Chicken

1 lb. chicken tenders
    2 tbs vegetable oil
    1/2 cup Kikkoman Teriyaki Baste & Glaze sauce
    2 tbs orange juice
    2 tbs white wine
    1/2 cup celery
    1 red bell pepper
    1 11oz. can mandarin oranges (drained)
    1/2 cup cashews
    2 cups cooked white rice

Mix the Kikkoman Baste & Glaze, orange juice, and white wine in a bowl and set aside.
    Cut chicken tenders into 1 inch pieces. Dice the celery and chop the red bell pepper.
    Heat a large pan or wok over high heat then add the oil and chicken tenders. Cook for 4 minutes or until chicken is almost done. Add the celery and bell pepper and stir fry for another 2 minutes. Add the prepared sauce and cook until everything is coated. Remove from heat. Add the mandarin oranges and cashews and gently fold them in. Serve over the cooked rice.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Heating up herbs is

Saludos!

I would think the egg protein would sustain the weed's THC. I get a buzz whenever i do it.

I think the omelette's a good plan because it is very low heat and high in fat. I am talking more about high heat cooking situations (like brownies). The high heat situations do work, don't get me wrong, all I was commenting on is that heat and light reduce/vaporize THC from greens and the most common way of making green butter involves it cooking on the stove for like 24 hours, which i think is crazy.

• the ladyfriend was jonesin' for a dessert one night and there was nothing dessert-like in the house and I didnt feel like goin out to get something. So, I made up something and it was pretty good...chocolate/pecan "quesedilla"...I buttered a tortilla, threw it in the pan, added dark chocolate ghiradelli chips and pecan pieces, folded it over, coated it liberally with cinnamon and sugar, flipped it, put the sugar and cinnamon on the other side...let the sugar caramelize on both sides and fried it until the tortilla was crisp then hit it with a little extra cinnamon before serving...bad ass little desert.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

Post up some recipes... it can be any style... looking to improve the home cooking skills and add some tasty joints to the weekly menu.

I think recipes are rather useless if you want to improve your cooking. Learn basic preparations, try to understand the use of key ingredients aso. Grab a couple of good books with explanations ("On food and cooking", a recent edition of "the professional chef" or another cooking school book). Just my two cents

• I think recipes are rather useless if you want to improve your cooking. Learn basic preparations, try to understand the use of key ingredients aso. Grab a couple of good books with explanations ("On food and cooking", a recent edition of "the professional chef" or another cooking school book). Just my two cents

this is the realest thing on here

• I think recipes are rather useless if you want to improve your cooking. Learn basic preparations, try to understand the use of key ingredients aso. Grab a couple of good books with explanations ("On food and cooking", a recent edition of "the professional chef" or another cooking school book). Just my two cents

Alot of the recipes posted are pretty simple preparations.

Like most things, I think you just gotta practice and experiment. I think if you have a good taste for food (know what goes well together, etc) and practice a lot, you can learn how to cook.

I actually think it is a lot like learning how to DJ in that respect.

• Heating up herbs is

Saludos!

Sorry, but I just have to jump in here and say that if heat is NAGL for weed, HOW COME I GET HIGH AS A KITE WHEN I SMOKE IT?

btw, the butter move has ALWAYS worked great for me, and herb butter is far more useful in baked goods and sweet things and I would mutch rather have something sweet with herbals than something savory. I cosign the butter method from years of experience. What can you really do with some herb oil? Toss it with some pasta? Gross. Or maybe weed milk and lucky charms? No thanks.

• the most common way of making green butter involves it cooking on the stove for like 24 hours, which i think is crazy.

Dude, do people you know cook crack too? Cuz 24 hours on the stove is overkill for ANYTHING. It only takes about an hour to make herb butter, and if you want to keep it off direct heat, you use two pots and keep pouring the melted butter through a strainer with the herb in it from one pot to another. I think your theory on the heat destroying the THC is pretty irrelevant, personally. I get leveled when I eat food with herb butter, and I've been a daily smoker for 14 years, about 10 of those being nothing but the good. BTW, not trying to offend you, just saying... You're smart in thinking 24 hours on the stove is crazy, cuz it is.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    the most common way of making green butter involves it cooking on the stove for like 24 hours, which i think is crazy.

Dude, do people you know cook crack too? Cuz 24 hours on the stove is overkill for ANYTHING. It only takes about an hour to make herb butter, and if you want to keep it off direct heat, you use two pots and keep pouring the melted butter through a strainer with the herb in it from one pot to another. I think your theory on the heat destroying the THC is pretty irrelevant, personally. I get leveled when I eat food with herb butter, and I've been a daily smoker for 14 years, about 10 of those being nothing but the good. BTW, not trying to offend you, just saying... You're smart in thinking 24 hours on the stove is crazy, cuz it is.

I have eaten more than my share of butter, high quality clarified with primo clippings and 4x strength. It does work great, no question on that or the rastas would never be drinking that butter tea.

BUT I have also been in some situations where the brownies/cupcakes/gooballs turned out totally bunk from a nice $$ bag. Everyone kicking themselves for not just smoking it in the first place. I am also very bored with brownies.

What can you do with herb oil?
    Well a friend of mine makes mind blowing chocolates with single source 80% cacao with a rasberry herb ganache filling. So strong it sent a friend of a friend to the hospital on the "I think I am dying" trip. 2 tiny chocolates.
    You can use it anywhere you would use butter.

my personal favorite is ganj guacamole.

I think recipes are rather useless if you want to improve your cooking. Learn basic preparations, try to understand the use of key ingredients aso. Grab a couple of good books with explanations ("On food and cooking", a recent edition of "the professional chef" or another cooking school book). Just my two cents

And how do u learn basic preparations? Through basic recipes, Dumbass.

Like DJing or painting you have have to have some point of reference.
    You not gonna saute some fuckin FrootLoops w/ Procuitto as serve it to your peeples - talmbout - "I dont need a recipe to learn the basics of food combos."

And im the first mofo to say Art has no rules, but im not tryin to disregard certain information and boil some hotdogs in mayo.

And how do u learn basic preparations? Through basic recipes, Dumbass.

Like DJing or painting you have have to have some point of reference.
    You not gonna saute some fuckin FrootLoops w/ Procuitto as serve it to your peeples - talmbout - "I dont need a recipe to learn the basics of food combos."

And im the first mofo to say Art has no rules, but im not tryin to disregard certain information and boil some hotdogs in mayo.

Exactly, dude... I'm kinda coming at this from an inexperienced perspective, so the recipes definitely help. Thanks for these... I'm printin em out & plan on cookin it up!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

im not tryin to disregard certain information and boil some hotdogs in mayo.

that's my morning smile/laugh out loud right there

I dunno man, I've seen some stoned people eat and serve some crazy shit.