Scotch Strut

Comments

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Also, I heard a rumor that Trader Joes (if you have those in your neighborhood) has Macallan 18 bottled in their own packaging for $40. There is some controversy on the interntet and I haven't verified that for myself yet.

What?!?!?! I didn't even know TJ's sold liquor apart from wine.
    Anybody know if this in the Union Square shop?

I have a bottle of the proper Macallan 18. I'll pick up one of these Trader Joe's versions next time I'm there, and do a taste test. The controversy is whether or not it's the same scotch.

• I'm on the Glenmorangie Sherry Cask which is nice.

So what is this like?

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Bump

Ok Scotch drinkers. The Macallan Fine Oak 10 is treating me well but I want to try something different. I am looking to stay below $60 for a bottle. I want to try something a bit more complex. Any recommendations?

I'm on the Glenmorangie Sherry Cask which is nice. Also, I heard a rumor that Trader Joes (if you have those in your neighborhood) has Macallan 18 bottled in their own packaging for $40. There is some controversy on the interntet and I haven't verified that for myself yet.

woah, that's really weird to me. Where and when Scotch was produced is so much a part of the choice to buy for most people. I guess this is just as true of wine, but for some reason it seems weirder for single malts.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Bump

Ok Scotch drinkers. The Macallan Fine Oak 10 is treating me well but I want to try something different. I am looking to stay below $60 for a bottle. I want to try something a bit more complex. Any recommendations?

I am really enjoying this:

Scotch aged in sherry casks/virgin oak/port casks is definitely my thing these days.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Enjoyed this one over the holidays. Not bad I must say for one of the first Scotch Whiskey's I've bought.

• i like this one a lot, smooth. decent price < $30.

i also like the mcallen 12.

this is another cheaper one that i like (a step above jameson imo):

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

I'm on the Glenmorangie Sherry Cask which is nice.

So what is this like?

Really, really good. More smooth than peaty, I found it light but very flavorful. This was my favorite for quite some time. Dollar for dollar got one of the highest ratings in Wine Enthusiast.

• I went with a bottle of this and I am very happy with my choice.

• Big fan of this right here.. I haven't made it up to the peaty big leagues.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    You'all need to get familiar with the 6 classic malts;

http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/product.asp?pf_id=0030000002339

United Distillers (ie Bells, Johnnie Walker etc) use these as the basis of most of their blends.

A lot of discussion here about how these various scotches taste, which obviously a huge factor in making a purchase, but anyone else also trying to select on the basis of the effect it produces on you?

i've definitely found scotches to be a better catalyst for creative activity than beer (or most other alcohol for that matter). part of the reason I like the (to some) harsh taste of Laphroaig is because it puts me in the moment and usually stimulates some constructive thinking. anyone else had good experiences tied to particular bottles?

also, i unfortunately have to put some thought into how what I drink is going to leave my stomach feeling in the morning. choosing to drink on a given evening means I'm reconciled to feeling a little queasy the next morning, but anyone found that some scotches leave you feeling a little better than others the next a.m.?

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Bump.

This is killing it for me right now:

What's everybody else drinking these days?

• edubedub 715 Posts

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I've been drinking Cragganmore, very smooth.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    best mother in law gift ever

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    my girl got me this for Valentines. looking forward to it.

The Ghosts of Scotland - Revisiting the Closed Distilleries[/b]

http://www.astorcenternyc.com/class-the-ghosts-of-scotland-revisiting-the-closed-distilleries.ac

also, any NYC area people should check out this spot if you are ever in Brooklyn. New spot, supposed to have good food, and had a great bar with Scotch/Bourbon/Whiskey out the azzz

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/char-no-4/

• bigchalzbigchalz 220 Posts
    Nobody's mentioned Lagavulin? i must have missed it, somebody had to have mentioned Lagavulin. BTW, have you guys noticed they had Oban at costco recently?
    also, what's your favorites from the "classic malts of Scotland"? here's mine:
    1. Lagavulin
    2. Oban
    3. Talisker
    4. Cragganmore
    5. Dalwhinnie
    Haven't tried Glenkinchie yet, another day, another dollar.

hey Danno, is that Balvenie 21 year aged in two kinds of wood like the regular Balvenie or is it aged exclusively in the port wood?

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    also, what's your favorites from the "classic malts of Scotland"?

1. Talisker
    2. Lagavulin
    3. Dalwhinnie
    4. Oban
    5. Cragganmore

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

(The Balvenie is pricey in these parts, but absurdly good.)

^^^SO GOOD

I picked up the Bowmore Islay 12 year as flossed by BATMON, that was super good, too.

• Haven't tried Glenkinchie yet, another day, another dollar.

I actually just picked up a bottle of this

I find this bottle to be a great value for the money. Pretty accessible overall, not too heavy on the peat.

Nobody's mentioned Lagavulin? .

This used to be a big secret, sitting in the 30-40 dollar range and one of the most pungent Scotches out there. Then for a few years it was hard to find and it came back as a $70 bottle.

did they get swooped up by Diageo or something? damn, 30-40$? i wonder if sales were much higher then or if people didnt buy as much of it? It seems that people assume too often that price reflects quality when buying hard lix.

I just recently got turned on to Lagavulin. Great, potent stuff that carried me through the last weeks of winter nicely.

did they get swooped up by Diageo or something? damn, 30-40$? i wonder if sales were much higher then or if people didnt buy as much of it? It seems that people assume too often that price reflects quality when buying hard lix.

I wish I knew what the deal was. I stopped buying scotch when I went back to grad school (-related), so some of my sense of the worth of bottles is based upon pre-1998 prices. Now that I'm back in the game, I will say that Glenmorangie Sherry Wood is still a pretty good buy at around $40, but I remember a time when it was $32 at Trader Joe's.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    I will say that Glenmorangie Sherry Wood is still a pretty good buy at around $40, but I remember a time when it was $32 at Trader Joe's.

that bottle is tipping towards $60 these days.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    Whatever happened to Scott Storch?

• Done with Lagavullen... i like me some peat, but it doesn't go anywhere for me.
    The Dalwhinnie that I bought from this thread was much more sophisticated- sweet, peaty, smokey... THAT was an interesting scotch (and it wasn't the super expensive old one...)

how non-super expensive we talkin?

• how non-super expensive we talkin?

$50. The blue label was going for $89.