Scotch Strut

Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Temperatures are cooling and so I'm getting friendly with my favourite spirit. These are my scotches of the moment:(The Balvenie is pricey in these parts, but absurdly good.)(The organic certification may be a gimmick, but it's a lovely scotch).What else are folks feeling?I tried this the other night (when I was three sheets to the wind and maybe not capable of assessing much of anything, but it was like drinking an ashtray:

Comments

• CBearCBear 902 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Macallan 18...

had this one once...

insanely good.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Temperatures are cooling and so I'm getting friendly with my favourite spirit. These are my scotches of the moment:

I'll have to check out the fine oak blend. Haven't tried that blend yet.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

(The Balvenie is pricey in these parts, but absurdly good.)

What else are folks feeling?

on belvenie!

i like the laphroaig and glenlivet always pleases...

i also dig tyracollenel (i never remember how to spell it), but that stuff is very tasty and affordable...

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts

"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Oh, no doubt! I can't bare to touch the last inch or so in my bottle. Very nearly my gold standard.

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts

the fall in a bottle

• Talisker gets my vote as well...

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Color me dyslexic but i read the title of this thread as "Scott Storch."

• CBearCBear 902 Posts

Oh, no doubt! I can't bare to touch the last inch or so in my bottle. Very nearly my gold standard.

I got a bottle as a tip from a client. I slowly savored it for a couple years. It's what got me started liking scotch.

As an aside, someone got me this tequila for my birthday. It has a lot of the complexities of scotch. I'm all over it right now.

• got a bottle of this in the cabinet

i dunno, it's strong (56%) and pretty good, but the macallan 12 year is just smoother.

a couple days ago my brother had the displeasure of witnessing someone order a macallan 12 and coke.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    ?????

• This is what I'll be using to keep warm while I take a break from the ravages of a Northern Ontario winter. Smooth and silky vanilla goodness.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Yo, I feel this dude is very corny. His beats are totally uninspired and when he said that Timbaland's neck looked like a pack of hotdogs that was very foul.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    got a bottle of this in the cabinet

i dunno, it's strong (56%) and pretty good, but the macallan 12 year is just smoother.

a couple days ago my brother had the displeasure of witnessing someone order a macallan 12 and coke.

When I had just turned 21 I went to some fancy bar in DC and order some expensive Scotch with 7up and the bartender refused and politely explained the finer points of Scotch to a yungin'. About 10 min later he was asking me to put out my herbal cigarette because people were complaining it smelled like pot. Yea folks, I just rolled into a bar with a printed box full of machine rolled filtered joints!

• parenparen 537 Posts
    Temperatures are cooling and so I'm getting friendly with my favourite spirit. These are my scotches of the moment:

not hip to the this one, but (as has been communicated previously), i greatly prefer the 12 to the 18. i'm willing to split the dif.

This is what I'll be using to keep warm while I take a break from the ravages of a Northern Ontario winter. Smooth and silky vanilla goodness.

Northern Ontario? Where are you?

not hip to the this one, but (as has been communicated previously), i greatly prefer the 12 to the 18. i'm willing to split the dif.

Just like it's a mistake to presume a raer record is a good record, it's a mistake to presume that older scotches are better scotches. What makes them so compelling--velvety smoothness, for example--comes at the expense of some the complexity that may make a younger scotch so great. I recently had a 30 year old Strathisla and was not at all blown away. But that 21 year old port wood Balvenie...oh boy.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    It'll be a while before it's warm enough here to switch from beer to scotch, but I love the incomparably strong flavor of...

• None of you guys are down with the peat?
    love it mang.

• It'll be a while before it's warm enough here to switch from beer to scotch, but I love the incomparably strong flavor of...

I bought a bottle of this in order to take the plunge into good scotch. Unfortunately, my wife thought it smelled like formaldehyde and wouldn't come within 5 feet of me while I was drinking it.

On the upside, I managed to finish the bottle in the course of about 2 weeks!

It'll be a while before it's warm enough here to switch from beer to scotch, but I love the incomparably strong flavor of...

I bought a bottle of this in order to take the plunge into good scotch. Unfortunately, my wife thought it smelled like formaldehyde and wouldn't come within 5 feet of me while I was drinking it.

I've heard "fermented band aids" before, and it does kinda have that smell. Let's just say it's an acquired taste.

I made one last from Christmas to the first day of spring last year, but it took some restraint.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    my cypher is completed with macallan 12, laphroaig 10/qc/15, dalhwhinnie 15, glenmorangie 10, lavagulin 1989 DE, mcclelland islay.

The mcclelland islay is surprisingly cheap, not a bad everyday scotch to savour. The favourites are of course the laphroaig 15 and lagavulin de.

danno you fancy boy w/ the balvenie.

my next purchase will be a talisker 18.

to the dude w/ the cask strength macallan, you really should add a little water to even it out.

my cypher is completed with macallan 12, laphroaig 10/qc/15, dalhwhinnie 15, glenmorangie 10, lavagulin 1989 DE, mcclelland islay.

The mcclelland islay is surprisingly cheap, not a bad everyday scotch to savour. The favourites are of course the laphroaig 15 and lagavulin de.

danno you fancy boy w/ the balvenie.

my next purchase will be a talisker 18.

to the dude w/ the cask strength macallan, you really should add a little water to even it out.

Hey Aser, I'm not that fancy; there's nothing to do in Fredericton but drink Scotch. No wine in New Brunswick, but plenty of whiskey.

That photo looks familiar...

• not for nothen but they opened a whiskey/scotch bar in downtown la and they have crazy raer whiskeyflavor. most of which i couldnt even afford a snort.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

My Scottish Co worker copped this for me for xmas last year...

not for nothen but they opened a whiskey/scotch bar in downtown la and they have crazy raer whiskeyflavor. most of which i couldnt even afford a snort.

There's a nice one in bmore as well called birds of a feather. prices aren't too steep and it's probably the most chill bar in fell's point (big bar district off the water).

• scotcth made me insult my ex-father in law

stick to wine

pass

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts

None of you guys are down with the peat?
    love it mang.

this is so completely where it's at for me. Far superior to the slightly older version that they also have, and DAMN if this seems to be totally gone from the LCBO now. I most definitely do cry.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts

None of you guys are down with the peat?
    love it mang.

this is so completely where it's at for me. Far superior to the slightly older version that they also have, and DAMN if this seems to be totally gone from the LCBO now. I most definitely do cry.

If you like Ardbeg, you have to try Caol Ila (from the same small island, Islay)

I haven't found anything yet that tops those two