Scotch Strut

Comments

• Evan William 1997 Single Barrel. This is not scotch, but I picked up a bottle yesterday and it is really good. Its very complex but easy to drink. My wife also thinks that my scotch and bourbon smell and taste like shit, but that just leaves more for me. She loves a glass of port in the evening, but thats another thread.

• not for nothen but they opened a whiskey/scotch bar in downtown la and they have crazy raer whiskeyflavor. most of which i couldnt even afford a snort.

There's a nice one in bmore as well called birds of a feather. prices aren't too steep and it's probably the most chill bar in fell's point (big bar district off the water).

Good to know!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    My Co worker copped this for me for xmas last year...

I meant this brand....

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

I bought a bottle of this when we found out we were having our daughter. Not opening it until she turns 18... or 21... or 30. It'll be nice and old and very flavorful by then I hope.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I bought a bottle of this when we found out we were having our daughter. Not opening it until she turns 18... or 21... or 30. It'll be nice and old and very flavorful by then I hope.

That's a great sentiment! Unfortunately, scotch doesn't age in the bottle. What it tastes like now it will taste like two decades from now.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Yes, but it was also be around 40 years old by that point... maybe I should go buy another to sell!

• Yes, but it was also be around 40 years old by that point... maybe I should go buy another to sell!

Yeah what Danno said, its not like wine. Drink it now and buy another bottle in 40 years, they will not be much different.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't drink (never have) so maybe one of you can indulge my curiosity here: what's the big deal with scotch? (I'm asking genuinely).

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I don't drink (never have) so maybe one of you can indulge my curiosity here: what's the big deal with scotch? (I'm asking genuinely).

Like Wine, certain aged spirits can be a real delight.

Most "aged" stuff carries that Mystique.....Cheese/Wine/Rekkids/Meat/Vinegar/etc.

• It'll be a while before it's warm enough here to switch from beer to scotch, but I love the incomparably strong flavor of...

I just bought a bottle of this and cannot hang. Tastes too medicinal for me. If any one in NY wants to work out a trade, holler I've only had one glass, bought sealed and opened to check condition EX.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

I just bought a bottle of this and cannot hang. Tastes too medicinal for me. If any one in NY wants to work out a trade, holler I've only had one glass, bought sealed and opened to check condition EX.

Hey GV, how was the honeymoon?

• Wonderful, wish I was still on it!

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    It'll be a while before it's warm enough here to switch from beer to scotch, but I love the incomparably strong flavor of...

sorry you didn't like it... did you buy on the basis of this thread?

might want to give it a 2nd chance -- most people find it too strong at first taste.

• GV I won't trade my newly purchased Macallan 12 but I will take it off your hands for a fair price!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• sorry you didn't like it... did you buy on the basis of this thread?

might want to give it a 2nd chance -- most people find it too strong at first taste.

No need to apologize. I did not buy it based on this thread, I had another scotch loving friend recommend it to me. I was in a duty free shop so the prices were right, there was a big selection, and this was one that was familiar to me. I also bought a bottle of Balvenie 12 year and that's doing me right. Wish I could've bought more bottles but didn't feel right spending so much. Wish I would've though, seeing the nice scoth prices back in town.

Jonny, you got it, hopefully we can toast in person to some WFMU scores.

• not for nothen but they opened a whiskey/scotch bar in downtown la and they have crazy raer whiskeyflavor. most of which i couldnt even afford a snort.
    Is that the place Seven Grand? I haven't been yet. I'm still a rookie when it comes to Scotch, but I do enjoy Macallan quite a bit.

I've tried enough $300+ Scotches to know that expensive Scotch is like expensive records. Rarity usually accounts for the high prices, and rarity is no good indication of anything but rarity. Expensive Scotch won't necessarily blow your mind any more than a $40 bottle.

• I went to a scotch bar here in NY with my pops that I had read about. It was a Japanese place, video camera buzzer/no sign on the door, full of salarymen. They had a lot of rare and the prices were super high, like the cheapest was $25 a glass or something. We had three drinks each and left, my father was not very pleased when the bill came. I told him you gotta pay to play and he called me a know-nothing punk.

I've tried enough $300+ Scotches to know that expensive Scotch is like expensive records. Rarity usually accounts for the high prices, and rarity is no good indication of anything but rarity. Expensive Scotch won't necessarily blow your mind any more than a $40 bottle.

That's good to know. Looking at that link I was torn between being disgusted that rich folk were dropping $75k on a single bottle (as opposed to on, say, Katrina relief) to wishing I had the means and the occassion to celebrate in that fashion.

That's good to know. Looking at that link I was torn between being disgusted that rich folk were dropping $75k on a single bottle (as opposed to on, say, Katrina relief) to wishing I had the means and the occassion to celebrate in that fashion.

When people drop that much money on consumables it's about far more than the quality of the product. Dude probably wanted to one-up his wealthy friends.

When people drop that much money on consumables it's about far more than the quality of the product. Dude probably wanted to one-up his wealthy friends.

For sure. I'm trying to imagine the occasion on which you decide, "hey, lemme crack open that $75,000 bottle of 75 year-old-scotch I've got down in the basement."

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I am much more willing to plunk down $300+ on wine than on scotch. The aging difference is much less significant when compared to wine.

And to answer Oliver's question, the biggest draw to scotch for most drinkers is the variation in taste. The flavour profiles are very distinct with each brand. Even if they're all labelled as scotch/whiskey, the subtleties in taste are more pronounced than other hard liquors, take vodka for instance.

Best way to experience this is to try a brand from each region in Scotland (Speyside, Islay, Highland, Lowland, Campbeltown).

danno sounds rich w/ that well of $300+ experience.

danno sounds rich w/ that well of $300+ experience.

It's all about the Summerhill LCBO tasting room! And the New Brunswick Whiskey Festival. And my local pub, which has a Scotch menu twelve pages thick and the world's most reasonable prices.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    apparently this happened on the weekend in Toronto and I was unaware. I saw an ad on the train today, got excited, then saw the Oct 20th date.

http://www.whiskylive.com/

• Bump

Ok Scotch drinkers. The Macallan Fine Oak 10 is treating me well but I want to try something different. I am looking to stay below $60 for a bottle. I want to try something a bit more complex. Any recommendations?

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Bump

Ok Scotch drinkers. The Macallan Fine Oak 10 is treating me well but I want to try something different. I am looking to stay below $60 for a bottle. I want to try something a bit more complex. Any recommendations?

I'm on the Glenmorangie Sherry Cask which is nice. Also, I heard a rumor that Trader Joes (if you have those in your neighborhood) has Macallan 18 bottled in their own packaging for $40. There is some controversy on the interntet and I haven't verified that for myself yet.

• Bump

I'm on the Glenmorangie Sherry Cask which is nice. Also, I heard a rumor that Trader Joes (if you have those in your neighborhood) has Macallan 18 bottled in their own packaging for $40. There is some controversy on the interntet and I haven't verified that for myself yet.

That is strange, no trader joe's here and we can only by spirits at the State Stores so I will have to stick to name brands.

• Also, I heard a rumor that Trader Joes (if you have those in your neighborhood) has Macallan 18 bottled in their own packaging for $40. There is some controversy on the interntet and I haven't verified that for myself yet.

What?!?!?! I didn't even know TJ's sold liquor apart from wine.
    Anybody know if this in the Union Square shop?

• Just looked it up, TJ's only sells hard liquor in CA, NV, and NM. The reviews sound kind of bad too.