producer/musician-strut: SLUMPS AND PRODUCTIVITY

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
How often do you fall into slumps when making music? And how long do they last? Also what are ways that you break slumps and find inspiration.I hit slumps often and they suck, usually lasting about a week, but it gives me time to think, read, and do other things that supplement the music as a whole. Like when i get into a slump sometimes i will just organize shit, like files on my hd, records, studio layout. The most recent slump got my record buying on lock and got me into selling wax thru ebay. What usually breaks me out of slumps is reading/watching interviews about musicians, engineers, or producers. I also find some movies get me amped to work, and sometimes just a nice day will get me in the mood. Weather is very important for me and i find i like to work on rainy days and when its snowing.

Comments

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I've been in a very long slump. It's starting to aggrevate me. But not much is working in my life right now, so I'm kind of alright with it. It'll come. "Time breaks all slumps", a wise man once said.

• What usually breaks me out of slumps is reading/watching interviews about musicians, engineers, or producers. I also find some movies get me amped to work, and sometimes just a nice day will get me in the mood. Weather is very important for me and i find i like to work on rainy days and when its snowing.

Word dude. These are all good sources of inspiration or just motivation. Sometimes I like rainy/snowy/cloudy/shitty days... but sometimes I really like having all the windows open, breeze blowin', sun shinning in while I work on stuff. I tend to do a lot of work at night though because of my work schedule, so weather isn't quite as big a factor anymore.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Ive been in a slump for maybe 6 months or so. AAAAAGH. Awful. When this happens Im liable to switch genres for a little while - Ive been slumping on my electro-rock-pop project, so Ive been thinking of making an instrumental jazz/soundtrack/space hop album and putting it out gratis on the strut. Might help me through my slump.

Also changing around your studio is the classic trick to overcome the hump/slump.

• I've been in a "slump" for probably over a year now. I used to make shit all the time for all kinds of people, but I'm not inspired by the people around me anymore. I'm not inspired by hip hop at all anymore, really. I feel like it's a phase I've grown out of. I still do editing and recording for people but I haven't made a beat in at least 6 months. I am still kind of interested in gangster rap beats and synth beats though. Shit's fun and effortless and I end up with something that can be satisfying without too much effort or time. I am about to move into my first owned place so maybe being in a new home in a new part of town will inspire me to start some shit up again. At least start making mixes again. I am envious of the guys around here that are doing beats for G-Unit and Snoop and people like that. If I had an in with that crowd, I think I would be motivated and inspired to be a lot more productive.