Discogs - Heaven or Hell?

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    bawls said:
    Woimsah said:
    I did my hours and went to my meetings and remained humble, looks like I can now enter data with the rest and best of em.

With all do respect...

You enter the data and they do the data analysis, that is why they don't want any errors. Once you digitized the local data you and your location are dispensable... obsolete in other words.

I guess you can kiss your next gig goodbye.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

• Options
    I am saying that the digitization and globalization of unusual data lowers the value of local independent Deejays with those records in their crate.

Ebay, discogs, and gemm commercialize the records and take important jobs away from deejays in the community, because people have to burn up a lot of cash in order to get set up on them anyway.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    bawls said:
    I am saying that the digitization and globalization of unusual data lowers the value of local independent Deejays with those records in their crate.

Ebay, discogs, and gemm commercialize the records and take important jobs away from deejays in the community, because people have to burn up a lot of cash in order to get set up on them anyway.

• bawls said:

another thing: the guys that are getting on everybodys nerves are not even the discogs moderators in 99% of the times, mostly just regular discogs users who need to get a job or a life

• bawls said:

i'm not even sure what you mean but i think the answer is no

• Options
    I seen it happen before.

Looks like that is way things are going, correct? But, didn't the disco people declare that rock was dead back in '78?

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    bawls said:
    I seen it happen before.

Looks like that is way things are going, correct? But, didn't the disco people declare that rock was dead back in '78?

Methinks you have it switched around dude

• Options
    how so?

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    bawls said:
    how so?

It was rock folks claiming that disco was dead.

• bawls said:

please explain how ebay&discogs; is taking our jobs i really wanna know now
    is it like when the disco dancers stole the wigs from the glam rock bands?

• leonleon 883 Posts
    wait....

(gets popcorn)

let's turn this into a 5-pager!

Carry on.

leon said:
    wait....

(gets popcorn)

let's turn this into a 5-pager!

Carry on.

we have smileys for this sort of behavior, sir.

allow me to join you.

• Options
    It's like when you have a record that is a serious roper and you sellout because you think being a highend dealer is cool then you get left without anything to attract people to the loads and loads of dollar bin commoners in your brick and mortar store.

Why not keep the record, let the 'bid sniper' keep his 1000 cabbages, and start selling a bunch of good, cheap, recycled, rekkids to music lovers?

• i dont get it but i just have submitted about 20 private xtian folk rock terds to discogs for the sake of digitization and globalization of unusual data (and i want to sell them)

• Options
    Why don't you just return them from where you go them?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    bawls said:
    Why don't you just return them from where you go them?
    never this because next time you're there you'll have to flip through those shits all over again.

• dopeshit said:
    i dont get it but i just have submitted about 20 private xtian folk rock terds to discogs for the sake of digitization and globalization of unusual data (and i want to sell them)

it's only through selling that anyone could be bothered digitizing and globalizing the unusual data anyway. but as selling on discogs can be a waiting game, maybe yer deeper stuff is gonna go elsewhere

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    There are two of them!

When you digitize and globalize yourself, replicating yourself to increase your presence you reduce your impact, this lessen your value and puts other poster out of their computer leaving the local internet cafe with out customers.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    3. I don???t sell to Israel, North Korea or any countries with poor records on human rights.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    I'm confused
    I dunno why but that bawls talk about "digitizing unusual data" sounds freaking awesome and mad serious at the same time

• I've only had good experiences with sellers.
    Aleit in particular.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    dopeshit said:
    for the sake of digitization and globalization of unusual data

This made my day. and BAWLS i have no idea what you are talking about but please carry on.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    BAWLS possibly = Supertoaster Mk III

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Oops double post

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Selling can be a pain. If somebody places an order from me, and I give them a couple of weeks to pay, and then I don't hear back from them, Discogs will try and bill me. I'll try to cancel the order, but Discogs doesn't allow orders to be cancelled after 19 days or something. So then you have to email the Discogs team, explaining that the buyer never completed the transaction.

Also, since they redesigned the lay-out, it seems much more difficult to actually find anything.

I once saw a discussion on DJHistory about the website's anal-retentive contribution policy, and I was informed that bogus releases, CDRs etc were being posted up by every Tom, Dick, and Harry...

still prefer it to ebay which I haven't used for buying or selling in over 5 years now.

• BAWLS can you start a thread please, we need to contain you and moderate you within a universe of your own. your unusual data needs globalising, your "a real roper".

WOIMSAH next time i am having one of those screaming-at-the-screen moments on discogs, i will be pming you to help me out! The discog robots seem to think i am inadequate at data cleansing. Its like being in that argument room on monty python, except not as fun.

Ulysses31nicholas said:
    BAWLS can you start a thread please, we need to contain you and moderate you within a universe of your own. your unusual data needs globalising, your "a real roper".

WOIMSAH next time i am having one of those screaming-at-the-screen moments on discogs, i will be pming you to help me out! The discog robots seem to think i am inadequate at data cleansing. Its like being in that argument room on monty python, except not as fun.

Just email the dude's who are being schmucks consistently and they'll eventually vote in your favor. If they don't, maybe try sending notice to the discogs moderators saying there's a douche in the matrix?

I actually sort of son'd the dude who was throwing salt. He tried to tell me that I needed to put an ANV, or AVN, or whatever the hell it is, for a random metal producer from the 80s saying that it was the same guy who played on Sidney Bechet records in the 50s. He had a hard time wrapping his head around the fact that there are sometimes people who share both first and last names.

I also submitted The Last Words LP on ATCO from the late 60s and the same dude asked me "are you sure this is the right group? The Last Words are an 80s UK punk band". Again -- name sharing apparently = sorcery and/or black magic voodoo.

• Options
    I dunno if this helps at all...

But, could you just give the record an ID number and make it a digit, rather than an individual?

This way you wont have to worry about individuals.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    ANV, or AVN, or whatever the hell it is
    yeah ANV for Artist Name Variation
    not to be confused with an alias !

that website is something else, but after a while you get the logic behind the apparently unnecessary sophistication

bawls said:
    I dunno if this helps at all...

But, could you just give the record an ID number and make it a digit, rather than an individual?

This way you wont have to worry about individuals.
    would you prefer browsing the Internet by just entering IP addresses in your browser ?

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    I recognize about 10% of the posters in this thread. Am I logged into an alternate Soulstrut?