Jena Six

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    What kind of Justice system could exist if everytime a crime occurred the authorities went to the accused criminal's parents, asked for their side of the story, and then dismissed all charges based on what they told them??

I'm not sure about the black community, but one of the biggest problem's I've seen in the white communities I've lived and worked in were parents who had a "Oh no, not my child" attitude when confronted with accusations of their children's wrongdoings.
    keep clinging to that one thread of trust u have in the general benevolence and good will of every red blooded, white skinned american, u slimeball

Why do you feel it necessary to lower yourself to name calling and insults??

Grow the fuck up.

And learn how to read.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    And learn how to read.
    you've bent over backwards so far to defend these dudes that your head has actually entered your own ass

And learn how to read.
    you've bent over backwards so far to defend these dudes that your head has actually entered your own ass

Wow....you really DON'T know how to read.....now I feel somewhat bad.

Show me where I posted a defense of anydamnthing??

I post that my experience with WHITE parents is that you can't TRUST what they say about their kids in times of trouble and your response is........... Keep trusting white people, you slimeball.

Is it a learning disability or actual retardation??

• A***
    Did you give this any thought before you typed it?

Did you think about who you were addressing before posing this question?

How often did you get beat up as a child?

L*rry,

Yes I thoought about and as far as I'm concerned its the truth, no one is entitled to a fair life and sometimes life is so fucked up that you have to uproot or stay and know that shit is going to be fucked up in your area. It's as true as time.

4 million irish moved to america to escape starvations

jews uprooted from europe to escape execution

People during the depression moved away from the dust bowl in order to find work

same is true in Sierra Lone, Rwanda, Sudan, Bosnia, Eithiopia, Peru, Iran, the deep south, etc.

just cause you are in an area doesn't mean you are guaranteed the respect you feel you deserve.

If you are living in a racially divided area where nooses are put up and accepted as just fun by those in power, than you probably ain't in the safest area for your happiness.

So yes, looking for greener pastures is sometimes a better option than staying somewhere and facing the possibility of getting 22 years for punching a whiteboy

what do blights and droughts have to do with getting "the respect you feel you deserve"? Obviously if a place can't sustain human life you need to move, you can't effectively protest against Mother Nature. Comparing that to something like institutionalized racism is just ridiculous.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

A***
    Did you give this any thought before you typed it?

Did you think about who you were addressing before posing this question?

How often did you get beat up as a child?

L*rry,

Yes I thoought about and as far as I'm concerned its the truth, no one is entitled to a fair life and sometimes life is so fucked up that you have to uproot or stay and know that shit is going to be fucked up in your area. It's as true as time.

4 million irish moved to america to escape starvations

jews uprooted from europe to escape execution

People during the depression moved away from the dust bowl in order to find work

same is true in Sierra Lone, Rwanda, Sudan, Bosnia, Eithiopia, Peru, Iran, the deep south, etc.

just cause you are in an area doesn't mean you are guaranteed the respect you feel you deserve.

If you are living in a racially divided area where nooses are put up and accepted as just fun by those in power, than you probably ain't in the safest area for your happiness.

So yes, looking for greener pastures is sometimes a better option than staying somewhere and facing the possibility of getting 22 years for punching a whiteboy

what do blights and droughts have to do with getting "the respect you feel you deserve"? Obviously if a place can't sustain human life you need to move, you can't effectively protest against Mother Nature. Comparing that to something like institutionalized racism is just ridiculous.

ok well then take those examples out, you still have plenty more within that post that deal with hardship and unfair living conditions. Anywyas, like I said I was replying to the absurd statement from hogg that people should endure hardships because if they don't they have to pay first and last months rent. The Jena case is one in which people on one side seem to be turning these kids into near-martyrs and disregarding the fact that they ganged up on some dude and beat him down. the sentiments made earlier that the cry shouldn't be "Free the Jena 6" to something more like punish the Jena six justly makes sense, the rest all seems to be kneejerk

• keep clinging to that one thread of trust u have in the general benevolence and good will of every red blooded, white skinned american, u slimeball

Grow the fuck up.

• so the history and status of Mychal Bell is pretty well documented, what about the other 5? Are they all currently in jail, or is he the only one? It blows my mind how much press coverage this case is getting, and yet the facts are still almost impossible to find. Apologies if it's already been posted in this thread, but I didn't see it.

• if the damn blacks would just move out of the south, none of this would be going on

amiright or amiright??

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

keep clinging to that one thread of trust u have in the general benevolence and good will of every red blooded, white skinned american, u slimeball

Grow the fuck up.

because i tire of smart people actually responding to his earthshatteringly vapid posts

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    The Jena case is one in which people on one side seem to be turning these kids into near-martyrs and disregarding the fact that they ganged up on some dude and beat him down. the sentiments made earlier that the cry shouldn't be "Free the Jena 6" to something more like punish the Jena six justly makes sense, the rest all seems to be kneejerk

• the cry shouldn't be "Free the Jena 6" to something more like punish the Jena six justly

i guess you didn't see all those protesters with the "PUNISH THE JENA 6 JUSTLY" t-shirts and the "SECOND DEGREE BATTERY WILL SET YOU FREE" posters.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    the sentiments made earlier that the cry shouldn't be "Free the Jena 6" to something more like punish the Jena six justly makes sense, the rest all seems to be kneejerk

I don't understand this - why do people keep saying this?? As I noted much earlier in this thread - there are MUCH MUCH BIGGER ISSUES regarding justice here that NEED to be dealt with before ANY discussion of "appropriate" punishment (which, as has been noted, has been well exceeded for the guy who's been in jail for months at this point).

• well if that's how you feel dude's going to be sitting in jail for quite awhile while the MUCH MUCH BIGGER ISSUES are hammered out.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    the sentiments made earlier that the cry shouldn't be "Free the Jena 6" to something more like punish the Jena six justly makes sense, the rest all seems to be kneejerk

I don't understand this - why do people keep saying this?? As I noted much earlier in this thread - there are MUCH MUCH BIGGER ISSUES regarding justice here that NEED to be dealt with before ANY discussion of "appropriate" punishment (which, as has been noted, has been well exceeded for the guy who's been in jail for months at this point).

• I think a noose and getting a gun pulled on you and getting beat up at a party is punishment enough?

those hillbillies need to BURN!

• I think a noose and getting a gun pulled on you and getting beat up at a party is punishment enough?

thanks for your contribution...that was thought provoking.

thanks for your contribution...that was thought provoking.

You are welcome.

oh, I almost forgot:

QUIT HATIN ON THE SOUTH!

yeah..... the south! yippee!

I realize I'm deeply predudiced and that its not something to be proud of, but its nice to be able to vent some ravage hate once in a while.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    ok, I didn't read this whole thread... and I've barely indulged myself in this story in the media...but

what is the correlation between the noose-hanging and the Jena 6?

maybe it sounds like a really dumbf*ck question, but that's the only thing that has caught my ear, before changing the channel on the TV.

Did the Jena 6 beat up the kids who hung the nooses, or did they beat someone else up because they were mad that someone hung the nooses?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    ok, I didn't read this whole thread... and I've barely indulged myself in this story in the media...but

maybe it sounds like a really dumbf*ck question, but that's the only thing that has caught my ear, before changing the channel on the TV.

Did the Jena 6 beat up the kids who hung the nooses, or did they beat someone else up because they were mad that someone hung the nooses?

There's a timeline earlier in the thread that goes through all the details.

On whether to move or not, people are forgetting the long history of segregation that limited the lives, choices and opportunities for many Americans. And as others have pointed out, some simply don't have the $$$ to do that so it's a moot point.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Are we actually debating whether hanging a noose on a tree - in the South no less - is or is not an act of racial violence?

Students get expelled for a lot less than that these days. These kids got a 3 day suspension. I wonder what a cross burning would have netted: 4 days?

And Rock, even if students indeed played with the nooses, thereby perhaps missing the symbolic meaning behind them, that doesn't change the reading of it. If I point a loaded gun at your child but your child thinks it's a game, would you be any less concerned?

Rock-a-logic strikes again!

I'm not supporting nooses, saying the kids shouldn't be punished or downplaying the historical meaning of a noose in the South.

All I'm asking is why you choose to edit that one line out of what you posted??

Rock-A-Logic > Odub Reporting

Uh Rock, I didn't copy my timeline from Wikipedia. I took it from here:
    http://www.bayoubuzz.com/News/Louisiana/Politics/Jena_Six_Timeline__4731.asp

They did not include the line that your source had. Ask them why they edited it out.

And regardless, my point is that the discrepancies in these timelines should give us pause as to the legitimacy of the reporting in ALL OF THEM. Both are have subtle (and not so) subtle biases. The Jena Times timeline argues that racism was never an issue. The Bayou Buzz timeline allows or encourages more of a racialized reading.

As for: "I'm not supporting nooses, saying the kids shouldn't be punished or downplaying the historical meaning of a noose in the South."

I see. Rock-a-Logic = soft on lynching. Got it.

A noose on a tree in the South is as unambigious a statement of racial hatred as anything I can imagine. I'm not sure what the Rock-a-logic standard would be here: if the students were "innocently" wearing KKK hoods, b/c they thought it would look cool...would that be ok too in the Rock-a-Logic world?

• DizzyBull, you act like everyone in the South is redneck racist KKK supporting fuckwods. Fall off your high horse, cowboy.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    DizzyBull, you act like everyone in the South is redneck racist KKK supporting fuckwods. Fall off your high horse, cowboy.

I think it's called sarcasm.

It blows my mind how much press coverage this case is getting, and yet the facts are still almost impossible to find.

Dude, start with google news. You're either not looking in the right places for information or not looking hard enough. There are some facts in contention but the information you were asking about is, well, everywhere.

It's nothing direct. The White student who got beat up was not one of the noose-hangers.

The correlation however is that the noose-incident - and the lack of a school/town response after - lead to rising racial tensions that culminated in the Jena 6 melee (which may, or may not have been sparked by the student throwing the n-word around).

But there was over two months of time b/t the incidents. A school fire in November (the noose incident was in Sept) could have been one jump-off point. A fight at a party the next day also would have escalated tensions.

• DizzyBull, you act like everyone in the South is redneck racist KKK supporting fuckwods. Fall off your high horse, cowboy.

Normally I would agree..but I always see dude making negative remarks about the South..and rednecks..and southern rap..and....

I mean, I could care less...just sayin'..shit gets old.

As for: "I'm not supporting nooses, saying the kids shouldn't be punished or downplaying the historical meaning of a noose in the South."

I see. Rock-a-Logic = soft on lynching. Got it.

A noose on a tree in the South is as unambigious a statement of racial hatred as anything I can imagine. I'm not sure what the Rock-a-logic standard would be here: if the students were "innocently" wearing KKK hoods, b/c they thought it would look cool...would that be ok too in the Rock-a-Logic world?

Show me one word, one sentence, one post where I might suggest I'm "soft on lynching"??

Show me where I defended one single person in this thread.

Show me where I used the word or suggested someone was "innocent" when it comes to racism, nooses, etc. in this case.

It's easy....just cut and paste.

You can't....because it only exists in your own private mind garden.

For someone who claims to be part of "Academia" you sure make a lot of assumptions and draw some far out conclusions.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'm pretty sure his employment as a teacher at a
    major university makes him a part of "Academia" (sic)
    without needing to make any claims.

Normally I would agree..but I always see dude making negative remarks about the South..and rednecks..and southern rap..and....

I mean, I could care less...just sayin'..shit gets old.

You are right. I'm being over the top, sure, but not sarcastic.

I realize not everyone in the south is a redneck racist KKK supporting fuckwad, just way more than Ive ever seen anywhere else. In the south people will say "nigger" without anybody batting an eyelid. In the south people will wear t-shirts that say "the south shoulda won". In the south people will fly the rebel flag and think its something to be proud of. In the south people will hang a noose from the "white tree" and think its funny. In fact, only in the south would there be a goddam WHITE TREE in the first place.

I've met some fine people from the south, but I also had to live there. I've seen first hand the kind savages that live there. But I already said that I'm predudiced. I suffer from Dixiephobia... what can I say? And this Jena story just reaffirms everything I feel about the south. Did you read that transcript of the interview with those mothers? 85 percent of that town is made up of savage inbreds, and the only ones who think that what is going on is fucked won't speak up, which makes them cowardly animals. Those 'good old boys' deserve to get lynched, and then set on fire. Seriously. Then ask their families if lynching is "funny". ask them if they think thats a good "joke". I bet their answer would be different. Fuck all those people. I don't feel sorry for the boy that got beat by the 6 because he was probably a savage too. I find it hard to beleive that by chance they would happen to pick the ONE whiteboy that wasn't a backwards ass racist inbred cracker to fuck up.

Sorry if I sound like a bigoted asshole, but I am. I've met some nice people from the south, but what sticks in my mind isn't the few cool people I've met, its all the rest that pollute that place.

im wondering if any truth to the DA's office leaking the home address & #'s of the jena six, they are all over the KKK forums, so i say call dude at home & ask him...

REED WALTERS
    2490 HOPKINS ST
    JENA, LA 71342 (318) 992-2603

What did he say when you called??