Jena Six

Comments

• does anyone in this thread defending the 6 think that any of these kids should have some sort of punishment? If so what do you think the punishment should be? If not why don't they?

white guilt

this should be handled by the school...supension/expulsion...not prison. It is ridiculous this DA was brought in, remember, he was brought in originally to scare the shit out fo the african american kids sitting under the tree BEFORE the "fight"

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

I'm not sure how you define attempted murder, but if the kid had died, it definitely would have been murder.

attempted murder means you had the intent to commit murder or cause grievous bodily harm.

So....is five people beating someone unconscious attempted murder?

If not, what within a beating would constitute attempted murder short of the attacker saying it was his intent??

The white establishment of Jena is lucky their fucking town wasnt burned to the ground...fuck a DA telling kids "I can end your life with a stroke of a pen"...and fuck ANY decision this guy makes, he isnt fit to make life altering decisions if this is the way he handles his office.

I'm for burning down any town who has an unjust DA.

• The white establishment of Jena is lucky their fucking town wasnt burned to the ground...fuck a DA telling kids "I can end your life with a stroke of a pen"...and fuck ANY decision this guy makes, he isnt fit to make life altering decisions if this is the way he handles his office.

I'm for burning down any town who has an unjust DA.

dude, you live in the south...you KNOW what small southern towns are like, Im saying over a hundred years of this kind of white intimidation is bound to come to a boil and they are lucky this incident didnt set folks off...

I'm rather amazed that hanging nooses wouldn't qualify as some kind of hate crime violation, at least on par with sticking a burning cross on someone's law.

However, in this case, the school could have taken more punitive action even if the DA didn't have, as he argues, the legal right to do anything.

And of course, his op-ed didn't address his own "abhorrent" and "stupid" comments to the Black students after the noose incident.

The breadth of logic in this thread is mind boggling....

Hanging a noose should be a hate crime and should be handled by the law.

6 kids beating another kid unconscious is just what schoolkids do and shouldn't be a crime??

Rock-A-Logic indeed.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I'm not sure how you define attempted murder, but if the kid had died, it definitely would have been murder.

attempted murder means you had the intent to commit murder or cause grievous bodily harm.

If not, what within a beating would constitute attempted murder short of the attacker saying it was his intent??

I'm not a lawyer, but I would guess intent, causing severe or permanent physical injury etc.

Oliver linked the Jena paper's timeline and it's worth the read (despite some questionable writing from the author).

And for the record, of course there should be some kind of punishment just like there would be for anyone. The issue here is how extreme should it be. I don't think decades of prison is warranted for punching someone.

• I'm not sure how you define attempted murder, but if the kid had died, it definitely would have been murder.

Yeah, I'd say five people beating one person unconscious is beyond an aggravated assault and indeed more in the neighborhood of attempted murder.

• THE DUDE WENT TO HIS LITTLE SPORTS BANQUET THINGY THAT NIGHT, A FEW HOURS AFTER THIS "NEAR DEATH BEATING"...he couldnt have been beaten that badly, if he went to pick up his letterman's jacket or some shit mere hours after this incident.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

damn that was some foul shit.

have you ever been in a fight? you sound fucking retarded, if they wanted to kill the pussy he'd be dead, ive seen numerous people get jumped, jumped numerous fools, none of which were attempting to murder a cat...
    shit i'd be on the i saw a noose & felt my life was in danger at any time, so when i felt a threat i acted...

again that kid who got jumped is a fucking redneck pussy w/ a mullet... fuck him...
    dudes jaw wasnt even broken, he went to a function same night & at court & no visible marks, attempted murder?!?! please get real...

even these fools didnt get attempted murder & i think this fool got beat worse than that pussy from jena

Well duh.....I guess I am retarded......if someone wants to kill someone they'd just do it...therefore, there can't be such a thing as attempted murder.... because if they were attempting, they would have succeeded.

BTW...I'm 6:3 275lbs and have worked as a bouncer in various clubs...I've actually been in a fight or two.....I saw one punch to the face kill a dude when he fell straight to the concrete and busted his head open.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

BTW...I'm 6:3 275lbs and have worked as a bouncer in various clubs...I've actually been in a fight or two.....I saw one punch to the face kill a dude when he fell straight to the concrete and busted his head open.

That wouldn't have been murder. Probably involuntary manslaughter.

THE DUDE WENT TO HIS LITTLE SPORTS BANQUET THINGY THAT NIGHT, A FEW HOURS AFTER THIS "NEAR DEATH BEATING"...he couldnt have been beaten that badly, if he went to pick up his letterman's jacket or some shit mere hours after this incident.

Honestly.....I'm not gonna claim I know as much about his condition as you seem to....the hospital states he was beaten unconscious and his face was swollen...he attended the banquet but according to reports left shortly after arriving due to pain.

I can't believe people are justifying and downplaying a 6 on 1 ass whooping.

Some here have even stated the victim "deserved it"

Some of you guys look worse in this thread than you did in the Duke one.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

If you're talking about me I said dude probably deserved A beatdown. Not getting jumped, but who knows, maybe he said or did something to deserve that too

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

If you're talking about me I said dude probably deserved A beatdown. Not getting jumped, but who knows, maybe he said or did something to deserve that too

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I'm kidding dude. But I do believe he probably did something to get his ass kicked.

Anyway, this is all speculation. All I wanted to say was I don't think anyone involved, from the facts that I know, should not be in prison for 20+ years because of this.

• I'm not sure how you define attempted murder, but if the kid had died, it definitely would have been murder.

have you ever been in a fight? you sound fucking retarded, if they wanted to kill the pussy he'd be dead, ive seen numerous people get jumped, jumped numerous fools, none of which were attempting to murder a cat...
    shit i'd be on the i saw a noose & felt my life was in danger at any time, so when i felt a threat i acted...

again that kid who got jumped is a fucking redneck pussy w/ a mullet... fuck him...
    dudes jaw wasnt even broken, he went to a function same night & at court & no visible marks, attempted murder?!?! please get real...

even these fools didnt get attempted murder & i think this fool got beat worse than that pussy from jena

Yeah, alright gangsta....

That video is fucked. I've seen it before and it makes no sense to me. These guys are a bunch of fucking cowards who only act tough in numbers. They ain't shit by themselves and would never even open their fucking mouth to start shit if they weren't surrounded by their equally punk faggot friends. People like this need to be erased from existence.

As far as the other kid who got beat. Yeah, you're right... in a NY criminal court, this would not be tried as an attempted murder case because of the levity of his injury. BUT, the reality of this happening where it did and the socio-political climate that bred this long-standing segregation is the reason for the media spectacle that is unfolding. The point that everyone is missing here is that the US is a big place with lots of other places to live in. If you don't foresee a historically documented tradition of racial bias in the place where you live, ending within your lifetime, guess what, genius? You can live somewhere else instead of living out the rest of your life being treated like shit.

Like you, for example?

• Hanging nooses, pulling guns on people.... Talk about pushing people, and then they get suprised when these dudes kick the shit out of somebody??? after all that shit? That whole town is lucky thats all that happened.

Fuck all those cracker ass redneck hillbillies scumfucks. lynch them all. I'm serious.

• shit kicking pig fucking nascar watching inbred rebel flag waving gomer pile fucks.

ok, thats all I have to say about that.

That wouldn't have been murder. Probably involuntary manslaughter.

You state this like you're confident it's true....

There are more than a few cases I know of where a one punch death was tried as murder...

Here's just one.

EDINBURG ??? Audon Camarillo died from blunt force
    trauma, possibly caused by a powerful punch, the
    doctor who performed the man???s autopsy testified
    Wednesday.

The man accused of delivering the punch, Christopher
    Flores, 21, is standing trial for Audon Camarillo???s
    murder in Judge Letty Lopez???s 389th state District
    Court. If convicted, Flores faces up to 99 years in
    prison for the first-degree felony.

Flores is accused of punching Camarillo, 47, in the
    face during a bar fight at Ted???s Lounge in San Juan on
    March 25, 2005. Camarillo fell backward and hit his
    head. He fell into a coma and was taken to a San
    Antonio Hospital, where he later died.

Dr. Randy Frost, the Bexar County deputy chief medical
    examiner who conducted Camarillo???s autopsy, testified
    that Camarillo died from head injuries. Frost said
    that Camarillo suffered lacerations on the back of his
    head.

Frost said a person???s hand could be a deadly weapon if
    the hand caused Camarillo to suffer the trauma that
    led to his death.

• I definitely see your point... graphic as it my be...

seriously, think about it. If that were how it went down in Jena and was caught on video like that... man, those kids would have ended up being lynched...

There are generations of hate and racism (not to mention inbreeding) that have been programmed into these people. One case of this, no matter how big a story, is not going to erase, change or even slightly alter the trajectory of their justice system. This story will be forgotten and overwritten by the next big news story and Jena will go back to business as usual.

Like you, for example?

Yeah....when I said "Lock those damn white college kids up even if they're innocent" I guess that did make me look pretty bad. Remember that?

And I guess saying in this thread that beating someone 6 vs. 1 deserves SOME sort of punishment makes me look bad too.

THis is a slightly different timeline from the one The Jena Times supplied. The more I read over the Jena Times' timeline, the more suspect it is in editorially framing what should have been just objective news reporting. The following timeline isn't ideology-free but it at least provides some added information for people to weigh.

I've flagged some suspect points with *.

Aug 31, 2006: During a Jena High School assembly, a black male freshman student asked permission to sit in the shade of the ???white tree??? (where traditionally only white students sat). The principal responded that the students could ???sit wherever they wanted???. That afternoon, he and his friends sat under the tree.

Sep 1, 2006: That morning, three nooses were found hanging from the tree ??? a clear reference to the historical lynching of blacks once widely practiced by white racists, especially in the southern states of the US.

When the principal learned that three white students were responsible, he recommended expulsion from the school which was overruled by the local Board of Education. They were instead punished with a three day in-school suspension.

School Superintendent Roy Breithaupt agreed with the Board and said, ???Adolescents play pranks. I don???t think it was a threat against anybody.???

Local black residents said this further inflamed racial tensions in the town.
    *(Lack of citation or supportable evidence of what this actually means).

Sep 6, 2006: The principal called a student assembly, in which students sat in segregated black and white sections. LaSalle Parish District Attorney J. Reed Walters addressed the assembly and is alleged to have threatened the protesters that if they didn???t stop complaining about an ???innocent prank???, he could ???take [their] lives away with the stroke of a pen???.

Sep 7, 2006: Police began patrolling the halls of Jena High School.

Sep 8, 2006: The school was declared to be in ???total lockdown???.

Sep 10, 2006: Dozens of black students attempted to address the school board but were refused because the board believed ???the noose issue??? had been resolved.

Racially charged confrontations between white and black students continued throughout the fall.
    *(Examples?)

Nov 30, 2006: The main building of Jena High School was set on fire and later needed to be gutted and demolished. Black and white students blamed each other for the arson.
    *The Jena Times cites that school officials said there was no evidence that the arson was related to the noose incident. A notable discrepancy b/t the two reports.

Dec 1, 2006: At a mostly-white party held at the Fair Barn, five black students attempted to enter the party but were told they were not allowed in without an invitation. They persisted and said they had friends who were already at the party. A white man confronted the students and a fight ensued, which caused him to also be banned from the party.

Outside, the black students became involved in another fight with a group of white men (not students). Sixteen year-old Robert Bailey (later one of the Jena Six) alleged that a beer bottle had been broken over his head, although there are no medical records to indicate treatment was provided.
    *The Jena Times did not report any medical injuries, least of all to one of the future Jena 6 members. Another major discrepancy in these two timelines.

Dec 2, 2006: A white student who had attended the previous night???s party encountered Mr Bailey and his friends at a convenience store. An argument ensued and the white student is alleged to have run back to his pickup truck and produced a 12-gauge shotgun. Mr Bailey said he wrested the gun from the white student and took it home with him. Because the white and black students??? versions of events contradicted each other, police formed a report based on the testimony of an independent witness.

Mr Bailey was charged with theft of a firearm, second-degree robbery and disturbing the peace. The white student was not charged.

Dec 4, 2006: Jena High School student Justin Barker, 17, was allegedly beaten unconscious by black students including Mr Bailey. It was reported that Mr Barker had boasted earlier in the day that Mr Bailey had been beaten by a white man at the party on Dec 1, which Mr Barker denied. Mr Barker was treated at the local hospital and released after two hours. He attended a school function that evening.

Meanwhile, the six black students accused of the attack were arrested. Robert Bailey, Mychal Bell, Carwin Jones, Bryant Purvis and Theo Shaw were initially charged with assault. The sixth suspect, Jesse Ray Beard, was charged as a juvenile because he was 14 years old.
    *NONE OF THE JENA 6 WERE OVER 18 at the time of their arrest.

District Attorney Walters upgraded the assault charges to attempted murder.

June 26, 2007: On the first day of Mychal Bell???s trial, in which he was tried as an adult, Mr Walters agreed to reduce the charges for Mr Bell to aggravated second-degree battery and conspiracy to commit the same crime, arguing that the ???deadly weapon??? used was Mr Bell???s tennis shoes, to which the jury agreed. There were conflicting witness accounts on whether Mr Bell had been involved in the attack.

Mr Bell was found guilty and faced a sentence of up to 22 years in prison. He was remanded in custody to be sentenced on September 20, 2007. There was public outcry because Mr Bell???s public defender did not call any witnesses in his attempt to defend his client.

Later, Mr Bell received new defense attorneys who requested a new trial on the grounds that Mr Bell, who was 16 years old at the time of the incident, should not have been tried as an adult. They also argued that the new trial should be held in another parish.

Aug 24, 2007: A request to lower Mr Bell???s $90,000 bond was denied due to his juvenile record, which showed that he had been previously convicted of four violent crimes.

Sep 4, 2007: A judge dismissed the conspiracy charge but upheld the battery conviction, although he agreed that Mr Bell should have been tried as a juvenile.

On this day, charges against Carwin Jones and Theo Shaw were reduced to aggravated second-degree battery and conspiracy.

Sep 10, 2007: Charges against Robert Bailey were reduced to aggravated second-degree battery and conspiracy.

Sep 14, 2007: Mr Bell???s conviction for battery was overturned by Louisiana???s Third Circuit Court of Appeals in Lake Charles on the grounds that he should not have been tried as an adult. District Attorney Reed appealed to the Louisiana Supreme Court.

Sep 20, 2007: On the day Mr Bell was initially due to be sentenced, the Third Circuit Court of Appeal in Lake Charles ordered a district judge to hold a hearing on why Mr Bell is still being held in jail.

What's pretty notable is that, between Sep and Nov, nothing was popping off. It seems - and I emphasize SEEMS - that the main escalations occurred in regards to:
    1) The fight at the party
    2) The fight outside the convenience store where the shotgun was pulled out.
    3) The beatdown.

If convicted

was he?

He was tried for murder, not involuntary manslaughter...that's the only point that needs to be made.

What difference does it make if he was found guilty or not(I'll wait for your insightful comments before I reveal the verdict).

• There are generations of hate and racism (not to mention inbreeding) that have been programmed into these people.

Hell yeah!

If convicted

was he?

He was tried for murder, not involuntary manslaughter...that's the only point that needs to be made.

What difference does it make if he was found guilty or not(I'll wait for your insightful comments before I reveal the verdict).

"Texas law allows someone to be charged with murder if they intend to cause serious bodily injury and commit an act clearly dangerous to human life that results in death."

"The prosecution???s key witness, Benito Vasquez, who saw Flores punch Camarillo, had
    testified that didn???t think Flores was trying to hurt Camarillo."

The suspect in this case seemed to catch a really bad jury decision. It really doesn't make much sense to me how a bar fight punch = murder but hey, thankfully, I don't live in Texas.

• The point that everyone is missing here is that the US is a big place with lots of other places to live in. If you don't foresee a historically documented tradition of racial bias in the place where you live, ending within your lifetime, guess what, genius? You can live somewhere else instead of living out the rest of your life being treated like shit.

You sound privileged.

The point that you're missing is that it's really expensive to move out of the area you grew up in, where, more than likely, most of your family lives, to an area where you are likely to have no support network AND have to pay first and last month's rent, find a new job, transfer your kids to a new school, etc.

The point that everyone is missing here is that the US is a big place with lots of other places to live in. If you don't foresee a historically documented tradition of racial bias in the place where you live, ending within your lifetime, guess what, genius? You can live somewhere else instead of living out the rest of your life being treated like shit.

You sound privileged.

The point that you're missing is that it's really expensive to move out of the area you grew up in, where, more than likely, most of your family lives, to an area where you are likely to have no support network AND have to pay first and last month's rent, find a new job, transfer your kids to a new school, etc.

Apparently, he's never heard of a New Orleans/Katrina either.

Oliver,
    I know you are a journalist...I assume you cut and pasted this from the same sight I read it at...what I don't know is why you would edit out the sentence that I've posted in bold below??

Was this just an error, was it not in the article you read or did you not think that point was necessary??

THis is a slightly different timeline from the one The Jena Times supplied. The more I read over the Jena Times' timeline, the more suspect it is in editorially framing what should have been just objective news reporting. The following timeline isn't ideology-free but it at least provides some added information for people to weigh.

I've flagged some suspect points with *.

Aug 31, 2006: During a Jena High School assembly, a black male freshman student asked permission to sit in the shade of the ???white tree??? (where traditionally only white students sat). The principal responded that the students could ???sit wherever they wanted???. That afternoon, he and his friends sat under the tree.

Sep 1, 2006: That morning, three nooses were found hanging from the tree ??? a clear reference to the historical lynching of blacks once widely practiced by white racists, especially in the southern states of the US.

When the principal learned that three white students were responsible, he recommended expulsion from the school which was overruled by the local Board of Education. They were instead punished with a three day in-school suspension.

School Superintendent Roy Breithaupt agreed with the Board and said, ???Adolescents play pranks. I don???t think it was a threat against anybody.??? However, a black teacher described seeing both white and black students "playing with [the nooses], pulling on them, jump-swinging from them, and putting their heads through them."[6][/b]

Local black residents said this further inflamed racial tensions in the town.
    *(Lack of citation or supportable evidence of what this actually means).

Sep 6, 2006: The principal called a student assembly, in which students sat in segregated black and white sections. LaSalle Parish District Attorney J. Reed Walters addressed the assembly and is alleged to have threatened the protesters that if they didn???t stop complaining about an ???innocent prank???, he could ???take [their] lives away with the stroke of a pen???.

Sep 7, 2006: Police began patrolling the halls of Jena High School.

Sep 8, 2006: The school was declared to be in ???total lockdown???.

Sep 10, 2006: Dozens of black students attempted to address the school board but were refused because the board believed ???the noose issue??? had been resolved.

Racially charged confrontations between white and black students continued throughout the fall.
    *(Examples?)

Nov 30, 2006: The main building of Jena High School was set on fire and later needed to be gutted and demolished. Black and white students blamed each other for the arson.
    *The Jena Times cites that school officials said there was no evidence that the arson was related to the noose incident. A notable discrepancy b/t the two reports.

Dec 1, 2006: At a mostly-white party held at the Fair Barn, five black students attempted to enter the party but were told they were not allowed in without an invitation. They persisted and said they had friends who were already at the party. A white man confronted the students and a fight ensued, which caused him to also be banned from the party.

Outside, the black students became involved in another fight with a group of white men (not students). Sixteen year-old Robert Bailey (later one of the Jena Six) alleged that a beer bottle had been broken over his head, although there are no medical records to indicate treatment was provided.
    *The Jena Times did not report any medical injuries, least of all to one of the future Jena 6 members. Another major discrepancy in these two timelines.

Dec 2, 2006: A white student who had attended the previous night???s party encountered Mr Bailey and his friends at a convenience store. An argument ensued and the white student is alleged to have run back to his pickup truck and produced a 12-gauge shotgun. Mr Bailey said he wrested the gun from the white student and took it home with him. Because the white and black students??? versions of events contradicted each other, police formed a report based on the testimony of an independent witness.

Mr Bailey was charged with theft of a firearm, second-degree robbery and disturbing the peace. The white student was not charged.

Dec 4, 2006: Jena High School student Justin Barker, 17, was allegedly beaten unconscious by black students including Mr Bailey. It was reported that Mr Barker had boasted earlier in the day that Mr Bailey had been beaten by a white man at the party on Dec 1, which Mr Barker denied. Mr Barker was treated at the local hospital and released after two hours. He attended a school function that evening.

Meanwhile, the six black students accused of the attack were arrested. Robert Bailey, Mychal Bell, Carwin Jones, Bryant Purvis and Theo Shaw were initially charged with assault. The sixth suspect, Jesse Ray Beard, was charged as a juvenile because he was 14 years old.
    *NONE OF THE JENA 6 WERE OVER 18 at the time of their arrest.

District Attorney Walters upgraded the assault charges to attempted murder.

June 26, 2007: On the first day of Mychal Bell???s trial, in which he was tried as an adult, Mr Walters agreed to reduce the charges for Mr Bell to aggravated second-degree battery and conspiracy to commit the same crime, arguing that the ???deadly weapon??? used was Mr Bell???s tennis shoes, to which the jury agreed. There were conflicting witness accounts on whether Mr Bell had been involved in the attack.

Mr Bell was found guilty and faced a sentence of up to 22 years in prison. He was remanded in custody to be sentenced on September 20, 2007. There was public outcry because Mr Bell???s public defender did not call any witnesses in his attempt to defend his client.

Later, Mr Bell received new defense attorneys who requested a new trial on the grounds that Mr Bell, who was 16 years old at the time of the incident, should not have been tried as an adult. They also argued that the new trial should be held in another parish.

Aug 24, 2007: A request to lower Mr Bell???s $90,000 bond was denied due to his juvenile record, which showed that he had been previously convicted of four violent crimes.

Sep 4, 2007: A judge dismissed the conspiracy charge but upheld the battery conviction, although he agreed that Mr Bell should have been tried as a juvenile.

On this day, charges against Carwin Jones and Theo Shaw were reduced to aggravated second-degree battery and conspiracy.

Sep 10, 2007: Charges against Robert Bailey were reduced to aggravated second-degree battery and conspiracy.

Sep 14, 2007: Mr Bell???s conviction for battery was overturned by Louisiana???s Third Circuit Court of Appeals in Lake Charles on the grounds that he should not have been tried as an adult. District Attorney Reed appealed to the Louisiana Supreme Court.

Sep 20, 2007: On the day Mr Bell was initially due to be sentenced, the Third Circuit Court of Appeal in Lake Charles ordered a district judge to hold a hearing on why Mr Bell is still being held in jail.

What's pretty notable is that, between Sep and Nov, nothing was popping off. It seems - and I emphasize SEEMS - that the main escalations occurred in regards to:
    1) The fight at the party
    2) The fight outside the convenience store where the shotgun was pulled out.
    3) The beatdown.

• The point that everyone is missing here is that the US is a big place with lots of other places to live in. If you don't foresee a historically documented tradition of racial bias in the place where you live, ending within your lifetime, guess what, genius? You can live somewhere else instead of living out the rest of your life being treated like shit.

You sound privileged.

Apparently, he's never heard of a New Orleans/Katrina either.

In Lousiana, there is a long tradition in African American families to live in one neighborhood for generations. It is up to each generation to maintain the home and neighborhood for the next. It is really important, so packing up and leaving the neighborhood your family has lived in for generations isnt acceptable.