Jay-Z "American Gangster": November 6, snitches

13»

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    plz tell me current just blaze fanboyism is related to more than the fact that he's a crate digger who blogs about it??? what has he dropped lately of note that makes you think he would be what jay needs? What has he done worth checking since King? serious question

I thought his beats on Kingdom Come were some of the best on there (that's not saying a lot though). Also, that recent track with Saigon - C'mon Baby, which JP was talking about yesterday. The Game - Why You Hate The Game was good too, The beat for that recent track with Fabolous, the advert with Juelz Santana etc... He hasn't been releasing much lately though so it's hard to judge...
    i thought that saigon song wasn't too hot, the fabolous one too ... they're all sounding kind of messy. i'll check out the juelz track. 'Show me what you got' was good though.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Personally I'm looking forward to the record. I love Jay and I think he has a LOT to prove after the last stinker.

Also I think it's great to get a single artist to do a soundtrack, like the way it used to be done. Think about it - there's not many hip-hop soundtracks that fit this description. What, "He Got Game?"

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    plz tell me current just blaze fanboyism is related to more than the fact that he's a crate digger who blogs about it??? what has he dropped lately of note that makes you think he would be what jay needs? What has he done worth checking since King? serious question

That Saigon track that's been doing the rounds ("C'mon Baby") is great. If the rest of the record is of a similar standard, I'll definitely be copping it.

I hear plenty of people talking about how Kanye made his rep off "The Blueprint", and justifiably so - he did some outstanding shit on that record. Just's contribution isn't so widely praised, yet it's easily as good and arguably better. Personally, I think a few more Just Blaze beats was exactly what "Kingdom Come" needed.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

That Saigon track that's been doing the rounds ("C'mon Baby") is great. If the rest of the record is of a similar standard, I'll definitely be copping it.

I hear plenty of people talking about how Kanye made his rep off "The Blueprint", and justifiably so - he did some outstanding shit on that record. Just's contribution isn't so widely praised, yet it's easily as good and arguably better. Personally, I think a few more Just Blaze beats was exactly what "Kingdom Come" needed.

Word word, although I have to say that Bink had my favorite beats on "Blueprint."

• i'll check out the juelz track.

Since it's record day: Juelz Santana - The Second Coming (MTV2 Rip) (prod. by Just Blaze)

• i'll check out the juelz track.

This was all over the TV during the last half of the 06/07 NBA season, it was the music for that Nike commercial with all the NBA stars in it. I liked that track a lot.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Word word, although I have to say that Bink had my favorite beats on "Blueprint."

Man, this record is still so good to me.

For me, it's more tied to a specific place and time than probably any other rap record I've bought since I was a teenager. I listened to it intensely in the weeks following September 11, and it helped me deal with some really dark emotions. Jay clearly had different things than that tragedy on his mind when he recorded it but, by some coincidence, it ended up being exactly the right record for that time. I think I will always play it a lot this time of year.

• i was just sent the whole version of blue magic if anyone is interested... it doesn't get any better than the first sampling though...

http://www.zshare.net/audio/3772731cc910e2/

• I mean in a certain way this IS vintage Jay, Jay never had the best beats, he often used what would sound formulaic for other MCs, yet made them hot... let's not forget the man made a lot of records before The Blueprint

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Jay-Z has morphed into LL Cool J.......waiting for that mojo to come back. Its a wrap. Youll never make that super album again. Just make art w/out any expectations,pleez. And the audience should graduate past the demands of him creating another " what classic". Let him pass into legend status pleez.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Jay-Z has morphed into LL Cool J.......waiting for that mojo to come back. Its a wrap. Youll never make that super album again. Just make art w/out any expectations,pleez. And the audience should graduate past the demands of him creating another " what classic". Let him pass into legend status pleez.
    yes

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    yes

Time to let him perform in the ring right before Rocky Balboa and Ivan Drago go at it.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    yes

Time to let him perform in the ring right before Rocky Balboa and Ivan Drago go at it.

Damn, you called him Arsenio!

• damn! Babu got a beat on there? Dope.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I mean in a certain way this IS vintage Jay, Jay never had the best beats, he often used what would sound formulaic for other MCs, yet made them hot... let's not forget the man made a lot of records before The Blueprint

Man, thats a really good point. But i dont feel like he pulls it off here. I definitely see what you are saying though, like money, cash, hoes with any other rapper on it would be super wack.

• shit..that new Jay sounds great to me.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    shit..that new Jay sounds great to me.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Elliot Wilson's got me super excited *PASUE*

[i]Uncontrollable Hustler???s Ambition[/b]

I don???t know where Cam???ron is, but I sure as hell know where Jay-Z is. He???s at a studio in Manhattan, CEO in full artist mode, feeling inspired and making his first true ???concept??? album. No he still doesn???t write his rhymes down but a pen and paper is getting heavy use today. It has the rough titles of the 14 songs Jigga has created and he???s carefully trying to create the perfect musical sequence for his new album. Inspired by the Denzel Washington flick that stays in rotation on a TV screen above him, Jay wants the album to tell a story from beginning to end.

He???s 100% sure he wants the album to begin with a song called ???Pray,??? his most intricate and vivid storytelling since the severely-underrated ???Meet The Parents.??? I believe it???s one of the four songs that will make the album that was produced by Puffy and the Hitmen. That???s right, Puffy and the Hitmen.

Jay told me a funny story in the elevator on the way to get his first look at the Hype Williams-directed ???Blue Magic??? video. He said Puff would always bug him like, ???Nigga let me executive produce your next album.??? Jay would basically be like, ???What the fuck you talkin??? about? I???m a boss. And you???re a boss. That don???t even make any sense.??? But finally Hova gave in and agreed to at least listen to what the Shiny Suit man had cookin??? in the stu. Surprisingly, he was blown away.

Supposedly, Puff had gotten all the D-Dots, Amen-Ras, Nashiems, Stevie J???s and Carlos Broadys back together again and they???ve been creating some funky 70???s soul inspired grooves. Jay asked Puff, ???What are you doing with these tracks???? Puff was like, ???I don???t even know. It???s just some cool shit, I listen to around my house. Walking around with my socks on and shit.???

Just how Just Blaze???s work inspired the beginning of Kingdom Come, the Hitmen tracks built the foundation of American Gangster. As it???s been widely reported (NY Times I see ya), most of Jay???s vocal content recounts hustler tales over neck snapping beats. Jay likens it to the lyrical side of Reasonable Doubt meets the musical majesty of Blueprint.

The album marriages Jay???s real life experiences like buying out the bar with his hustler buddies (the d-boy celebratory next release ???Roc Boys???) with songs inspired by scenes from the movie. Notably, the one where Denzel as Frank Lucas is distraught that his nephew played by T.I. has abandoned his dreams of being professional baseball player and wants to get into the ???family business.??? Jay moved by that scene applies it his own cautionary lesson to his nephews for them to always stay on the right path.

Fuck what ya heard. Truth be told, ???Blue Magic??? is not even one of the strongest songs on the album. But Jay insists it was the best way to introduce the direction of the new record. (???Let???s take ???em to the ???80s, before we take ???em to the ???70s.???) The other record that the Imperial Skateboard P did, is the only song that sounds like it could be a commercial smash. It???s a song about the effect of heroin disguised as a love song. The rest here is straight gutter. A lot of ???aggressive content??? for you goofies and doofies.

Tracks like ???Success??? (produced by No ID ???The Mentor???) will have your trunk rattling as well as the somewhat Dream-inspired ???No Hook.??? Light on the choruses, Jigga flourishes when he addresses some of the hot stove topics you want him to touch on. DeHaven, the mad extorter, gets it on a couple of tracks. And Beyonce, the fianc??e?, gets a dedicated verse on which Jay declares, ???She???s on my dick and I???m on her bra strap.??? Besides y???all haters of the male persuasion couldn???t afford to take ole girl on a ???million dollar vacation??? like the big homie.

As it stands now, the album has a surprising end. The final song is called ???Fallen,??? produced by Jermaine Dupri. That???s right Prez Carter???s supposed corporate rival. Bilal???s on the hook but again this ain???t no commercial ish. It aims to bring the whole album full circle. That as always, gangstas don???t get chubby and move to Miami, they end up in jail or they die. Thankfully, American Gangster will prove Young Hova???s career is alive and well.

Loose Ends:
    There???s a DJ Toomp track Jay is still working on and another one with a Marvin Gaye sample that Jay still feels needs some more production muscle. There???s also a new version of ???Ignorant Shit??? that features Beanie Sigel (the only guest rapper I heard so far) and Jay lets Imus have it in the final verse.

Jesus, that???s it for now, I got an interview to prepare for. Any of you fuckers got any questions you want me to ask the Great One, holla atcha boy. Y???all owe me.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    "Supposedly, Puff had gotten all the D-Dots, Amen-Ras, Nashiems, Stevie J???s and Carlos Broadys back together again and they???ve been creating some funky 70???s soul inspired grooves."

I like the sound of this. It's easy to forget how many dope beats these guys were knocking out when Bad Boy was at its height.

I am really feeling "Blue Magic".

It's kind of messed up that Hot 97 is running Kanye's stalkersong about Jay more than Jay's actual single, though....

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I am really feeling "Blue Magic".

The song grows on you (IMO). I still think it's a pretty lazy effort by Pharrell but it's also not the worst thing I've ever heard from the Neptunes. It took me more time to get used to Jay's new flow...which I can't say I'm loving but frankly, after the mess that was "Kingdom Come," any change is a better one.

"Big Brother" is getting radio play? Wow.

No Dale Earnhardt n'nem?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

No Dale Earnhardt n'nem?
    damien hirst n'em.