"Free Kells"

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i hear you, but i think your pov is not only extreme, but inconsistent. there is no way for you figure out what every artist has done behind closed doors. so just tell your kids that artists are not role models as you sing along to "i believe i can fly".

church

• if you are personally effected by what an artist has done, than i agree, its strange and creepy to be supporting that artist. however, as i said before, we generally like artists because of what they produce, not because of who they are. therefore - are you gonna boycott all apple products if it turns out steve jobs beats his kids?

i hear you, but i think your pov is not only extreme, but inconsistent. there is no way for you figure out what every artist has done behind closed doors. so just tell your kids that artists are not role models as you sing along to "i believe i can fly".

I agree with you, dude... but filming it kinda takes it to that other level, no? No longer in the "behind closed doors" arena you're referring to.

• In another thread I just read about all the hatred towards the drunk driver who killed DJ Dusk. How you wish you knew someone on the inside who could "take care" of dude. Why? Because of an accident? None of you ever got behind the wheel all fucked up?

WOW.

damn man, not cool. this is really in poor taste dude.

Oh, I know... too bad that Charles Murchison couldn't sing and produce tracks, huh?

Or else everyone on here would be all... "Oh that Charles Murchison is so crazy getting crunk & crashing into people. I hope he gets out soon so he can keep making those great records we all love."

what is the appropriate punishment for a drunk diver who unintentionally (but obviously recklessly) kills someone in a car accident...assuming that it is his first offense of that kind ?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

how can you defend or even try to justify the irreparable damage done to this kid's life, psyche and all her future relationships at the hands of this piece of shit? This one is just a but too heavy to sweep under the rug.

In another thread I just read about all the hatred towards the drunk driver who killed DJ Dusk. How you wish you knew someone on the inside who could "take care" of dude. Why? Because of an accident? None of you ever got behind the wheel all fucked up? Isn't this way less of an offense than R. Kelly's?

Getting wasted is not an accident. Getting behind the wheel of an car while wasted in not an accident. Continuing to drive while obviously impaired is not an accident. Making the decision to put everyone on the road in danger is not an accident.

What kind of reasoning is this? A dead body is better/more acceptable than surviving a terrible situation? When there is still potential to recover and flourish and even help others that have gone through the same thing?

• In another thread I just read about all the hatred towards the drunk driver who killed DJ Dusk. How you wish you knew someone on the inside who could "take care" of dude. Why? Because of an accident? None of you ever got behind the wheel all fucked up?

WOW.

damn man, not cool. this is really in poor taste dude.

Oh, I know... too bad that Charles Murchison couldn't sing and produce tracks, huh?

Or else everyone on here would be all... "Oh that Charles Murchison is so crazy getting crunk & crashing into people. I hope he gets out soon so he can keep making those great records we all love."

what is the appropriate punishment for a drunk diver who unintentionally (but obviously recklessly) kills someone in a car accident...assuming that it is his first offense of that kind ?

I dunno, but getting killed in prison is a bit harsh don'cha think?

It depends if the victim has beats.

• how can you defend or even try to justify the irreparable damage done to this kid's life, psyche and all her future relationships at the hands of this piece of shit? This one is just a but too heavy to sweep under the rug.

In another thread I just read about all the hatred towards the drunk driver who killed DJ Dusk. How you wish you knew someone on the inside who could "take care" of dude. Why? Because of an accident? None of you ever got behind the wheel all fucked up? Isn't this way less of an offense than R. Kelly's?

Getting wasted is not an accident. Getting behind the wheel of an car while wasted in not an accident. Continuing to drive while obviously impaired is not an accident. Making the decision to put everyone on the road in danger is not an accident.

What kind of reasoning is this? A dead body is better than a surviving a terrible situation? When there is still potential to recover and flourish and even help others that have gone through the same thing?

My point is that the reaction to this is reactionary, overtly compassionate and imbalanced when compared to this situation. You're so right, there was no loss of life but fools on here are practically celebrating what this guy has done. Doesn't seem right to me...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    it may be a bit too personal but has anyone on here gone through or knows someone who has gone through something like child molestation?

these people kind of take the charm out of rocking a "Free Kells" t-shirt

Wait, Kelly was proved guilty!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

By the videotape, yes.

And are you really putting trust in the court system to cement your opinions like that?

C'mon now...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

regardless if he was proven guilty or not he has been charged with a crime dealing with fucking with children and wearing or supporting the idea of a "Free Kells" t-shirt isn't exactly tasteful. Once you think of the victims of the crime and how you turn their pain into an ironic t-shirt it becomes a very bad look

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    1. Free Kells tshirts are extremely suspect. i can't believe this is even a debate

2. Kells has made some amazing music and along w/ mary j essentially defined modern R&B for the 90s and on. He's also made some shitty gimmick music loved because HE SO CRAZY and there is often some suspect racial baggage in there as well.

3. iron monkey is often a terrible poster

regardless if he was proven guilty or not he has been charged with a crime dealing with fucking with children and wearing or supporting the idea of a "Free Kells" t-shirt isn't exactly tasteful. Once you think of the victims of the crime and how you turn their pain into an ironic t-shirt it becomes a very bad look

For once, Guzzo, you have my full support.

I not with the shirt. That's just silliness.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

For once, Guzzo, you have my full support.

it was bound to happen

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't half-thinking about picking up a z-ro CD

By the videotape, yes.

And are you really putting trust in the court system to cement your opinions like that?

C'mon now...

Did u see a 13 year old on that tape?

• 3. iron monkey is often a terrible poster

What makes me so terrible?

• its completely possible to seperate art from the creator. Who was the famous jewish conductor who did put on a performance of Wagner in Israel? Lots of folks protested that, but if someone who was alive during the Holocaust can seperate the art from the man, I think we should be able to also...now, if there was a ban of R Kellys music because of the trial, then there would be something to debate, but a "Free Kells" T-shirt implies support of the man, not the art. I admit I have had a problem liking Ike Turner so much as well as having disdain for such misogynists...but I dig his music, I dont dig his worldview and actions in the past, but I have come to terms of seperating the two.

Harvey, what besides the T-shirt could you unload on about those pictures? Besides the suspect T-shirt, all I saw were people having a good time...what the hell are you going to say about those folks...dont hold back dude...let loose with your righteous judgement....

By the videotape, yes.

C'mon now...

I believe she was under 18, if that answers your question.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    3. iron monkey is often a terrible poster

blanket dismissals of music you don't actually listen to

and i dont remember what else, i just recall having attached some vaguely negative feelings to yr name previous. possibly related to 'faggity' thread? dont recall

• its completely possible to seperate art from the creator. Who was the famous jewish conductor who did put on a performance of Wagner in Israel? Lots of folks protested that, but if someone who was alive during the Holocaust can seperate the art from the man, I think we should be able to also...

that was Barenboim. and he never should've done that. I wouldn't ever expect a gay advocacy group to "rise above" and invite Buju Banton to perform at their annual convention because they happened to like his music. but whatever this is off topic (or maybe not).

• 3. iron monkey is often a terrible poster

blanket dismissals of music you don't actually listen to

and i dont remember what else, i just recall having attached some vaguely negative feelings to yr name previous. possibly related to 'faggity' thread? dont recall

I don't listen to it because I think it sucks... therefore I dismiss it... I have however, listened to it before forming an opinion. I love music just as much as anyone else on here. I take it seriously and have my own criteria for what's good and what's not.

I respect your opinion. If you have shitty taste, that's your problem. Apparently, you're in very good company on here.

I dunno what "faggity" thread you're referring to, and apparently, neither do you. So your points aren't really all that valid, are they?

By the videotape, yes.

C'mon now...

I believe she was under 18, if that answers your question.

And most 17 year olds date there own age?

• Can a "Fuck Kells" tee be far off?!?

Who's takin pre-orders??

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    how about a 'fuck novelty tees' shirt that doesnt have any writing on it

• how about a 'fuck novelty tees' shirt that doesnt have any writing on it

You are so not hip hop.

how is this sentiment expressed without writing on it?

Nah... I already got a drawer full of those... "Fuck Kells" on the other hand...

how about a 'fuck novelty tees' shirt that doesnt have any writing on it

Nah... I already got a drawer full of those...

That's funny.

• fuck kells

and his music (sans step in the name)

and the t-shirts

and anyone old enough to tell someone not to piss on them and lets someone piss on them anyway...

and fuck carrots

pedophiles are gross

consenting teenagers, confusing

jerry lee lewis married his 13 year old cousin

didn't pee on her though

at least that we know of