owen wilson (suicide related)

Comments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Just so it's clear, we don't even know yet that it was an actual suicide attempt, and even if it was, we definitely don't know if it was because of the pressures of being a star, feeling like he couldn't make the movies he wanted to make, etc.

I remember him saying that in an interview a few years back, and it stuck in my mind because it sounded unusually depressive for someone as supposedly carefree as Owen Wilson... AND at the time, I agreed, it sounded like whiney bullshit. But the Chapelle crack-up changed my perspective about that a little and makes me wonder how intense the pressures and paranoia these people go through can really get.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

i can't believe he ollied those stairs

he didn't

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    nothing is confirmed yet. It's completely preposterous to even speculate why he did it.

• (that wasnt really Owen skating..notice the camera goes off of him for a split second..long enough for the double to come into the shot)

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Rootless- Reading back over my response (below), I don't think anything I wrote was especially insightful or informative. Fair warning.

seriously I know a lot of these dudes have multi-flick contracts with the studios, and I know a lot of studios will only bankroll the projects you want to do if you do some popcorn shit for them...

BUT dude probably has more leverage than 90% of the comedic actors in Hollywood (school me if I'm wrong but he seems to be top 10 at least when it comes to male comic actors, based on his exposure and the success of his last couple flicks).

This may be true, but pressure from studios is really only part of the equation. Actors also have to consider the expectations of their agent, publicist, friends, family, fans, etc. when deciding which roles to take. And believe me, Owen is turning down MANY roles. This is not a situation in which dude is agreeing to star in two out of every three scripts he reads.

An additional component of the actor's dilemma is that you typically have to keep your name in the spotlight in order to get offered the parts you really want. The longer you ride the pine, the less likely you are to be approached with desirable roles. Extending your 15-minutes without being type-cast, or pigeon-holed into a particular type of role is tough. Keep in mind as well that many of the most remarkable films these days are being made by independent producers who shy away from big name celebrities.

plus I WILL say fuck you for complaining about making millions.

Spoken like a certified non-millionaire. In the long run, money doesn't mean shit if your family life is busted, or if you feel like a failure for walking out on a career before you accomplished what you set out to. You may be able to afford nicer distractions than your average American, but at the end of the day you have to fall asleep with the thoughts in your head just like everybody else.

DUDE COULD RETIRE on his cheddar rather than whine about not being able to make movies he wants to make. the fact that dude has made even ONE movie he wanted to make in his life is more than most people in the world can say.

First of all, celebrities don't so much retire from the public as the public retires from celebrities. It's almost impossible to make a clean break from Hollywood when your career still has momentum.

Secondly, retirement is way less attractive an option than you're making it out to be. Seriously, shit gets old fast. It might sound preposterous, but one can only stay at so many 5-star resorts and eat at so many 3-star (MRG) restaurants before it gets old. If you got into acting for the craft of making films, retirement will almost certainly bore the piss out of you.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

plus I WILL say fuck you for complaining about making millions.

Spoken like a certified non-millionaire. In the long run, money doesn't mean shit if your family life is busted, or if you feel like a failure

but my point was not "hey he's a millionaire; he has no right to complain about anything!" I realize that's stupid.

what I was reacting to was that (according to the perhaps apocryphal original anecdote), Wilson was basically talmbout "it sucks making millions on blockbuster popcorn movies, when I could be making quirky wes anderson movies."

you know what then dude? make the quirky wes anderson movies. if it's not about the money, then do what you love. and chances are he'd still make some cheddar off a wes anderson movie. shit people "do what they love" for no money everyday. owen wilson could "do what he loves" and still be rich to boot.

dude is better positioned to do what he really wants to do than 99% of the world (i.e. he has some influence in Hollywood PLUS the $$ in case it doesn't work out). so he should do it. fuck what his agent says; that's a copout. that's all I'm saying.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

one of my favorite things he did was his part in the Yeah Right skate video where he is hangin' out with Eric Koston and crew..
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=rBuHF-EdRYM#

YES

AVE on the strenf.

Kala you are dumb like tits on a back.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    make the quirky wes anderson movies. if it's not about the money, then do what you love. and chances are he'd still make some cheddar off a wes anderson movie. shit people "do what they love" for no money everyday.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    nothing is confirmed yet. It's completely preposterous to even speculate why he did it.
    seriously. Im rolling my eyes reading all these half baked theories when nobody knows anything about what dude had going on. Like dude tried offing himself due to You Me And Dupree on cable? Jesus. Drugs were involved so I think this factors heavily into whatever personal problems he is having, but that is the extent of my opinion of why he did this. I just hope dude can recover and get the proper help he needs so he can get healthy. Life is fucked up and rough no matter how much money you make.

On the same note did anyone hear about Amy Winehouse's suicide attempt?
    http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.5621/title.amy-winehouse-attempts-suicide

being famous is mad fucked up.

seriously. Im rolling my eyes reading all these half baked theories when nobody knows anything about what dude had going on. Like dude tried offing himself due to You Me And Dupree on cable? Jesus. Drugs were involved so I think this factors heavily into whatever personal problems he is having, but that is the extent of my opinion of why he did this. I just hope dude can recover and get the proper help he needs so he can get healthy. Life is fucked up and rough no matter how much money you make.

On the same note did anyone hear about Amy Winehouse's suicide attempt?
    http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.5621/title.amy-winehouse-attempts-suicide

being famous is mad fucked up.

for the record I have been posting strictly in response to the interview Wilson supposedly gave about how he'd rather do quirky wes anderson movies than box office blockbusters and how that made him sad and waaaaaaaahhhhh.

I have no idea about the suicide; hope he's alright.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    dude should[/b] pass on films he doesn't feel.

How much money do you have to sock away before you can tell someone , "No, thank you"?

I mean, geez, make hay while the sun shines, but enough is enough.

^^^^^ Not industry insideurs.

Shit is not nearly as easy as you dudes seem to think it is.

I knew some Hollywood strutters would take umbrage (though I admit I expected it would be Guzzo. hi Ad*m!).

haha, I would of said something but I really got sick of the tabloid speculation type of work I was doing at E! and really want to not talk on things like that, besides if dude really did try to commit suicide its not something for us fanboys to really scrutinize. I'm sticking to wishing him well and hoping whatever demons drove him to this are looked into and worked on.

I'm a fan of all them Wes Anderson films and Owen Wilson's acting he has a great laid back, non-over the top style that very few people in Hollywood can pull-off.

If anybody wants any speculation on this go check TMZ.com. I looked this morning and saw his much talked about ex in a pretty deep make out session wwith her new man. thees enough fuel there there to keep the "I wonder why?" fire burning for a couple more pages

• snosno 332 Posts
    When I read the news this morning, my head just keep playing the scene in "The Royal Tenenbaums" depicting the suicide attempt of Luke Wilson's character over and over again (together with the Nick Drake song being used in that scene).

• When I read the news this morning, my head just keep playing the scene in "The Royal Tenenbaums" depicting the suicide attempt of Luke Wilson's character over and over again (together with the Nick Drake song being used in that scene).

elliot smith, not nick drake

i look forward to seein owen in The Darjeeling Limited

get well, lifes fukt up!

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Zoolander has to be his best though.

no question. Zoolander also happens to be Stiller's best....and maybe even Vince Vaughn's

the movie is just a classic.

I'm sorry - but people who find this movie funny scare the shit out of me. This is by far and away one of the most irritating and unfunny movies to come out and blow up as a mainstream comedy. This was about as funny as Taladega Nights.

Owen Wilson at his best? Bottle Rocket?????????????????

Ben Stiller at his best????? Come on. Ben Stiller Show? Something About Mary? Meet The Parents?

Zoolander = "Becky" humor at its best.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts

no question. Zoolander also happens to be Stiller's best....and maybe even Vince Vaughn's

I'm sorry - but people who find this movie funny scare the shit out of me. This is by far and away one of the most irritating and unfunny movies to come out and blow up as a mainstream comedy. This was about as funny as Taladega Nights.

Ben Stiller at his best????? Come on. Ben Stiller Show? Something About Mary? Meet The Parents?

whoa - you're trippin. Zoolander is fantastic. One of Ferrell"s best roles. I'm not going to say it was the best work of Wilson or Vaughn though, that's a bit ridiculous.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

^ BAN THIS FRUIT SALAD

^ BAN THIS FRUIT SALAD

I touched a nerve I touched a nerve! If it means so much to you....would love to hear what your favorite comedies are......

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I touched a nerve I touched a nerve! If it means so much to you....would love to hear what your favorite comedies are......

BLAZING SADDLES

• snosno 332 Posts
    elliot smith, not nick drake

Oops...I got that mixed up with the scene where Luke Wilson escaped from the hospital and about to board a bus or something...

zoolander = great performances + complete and utterly original concept + hilarious cameos (lil Kim, Billy Zane, natalie portman) + genius casting (duchovny, jon voight etc.) + crazy funny dialogue/writing.

woimsah = scared + confused.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Zoolander shreds.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

what are yours?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Are you daring to suggest that "Talladega Nights" was not, in fact, funny?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    people who don't find this movie funny scare the shit out of me.

Also, seems that the suicide attempt has been confirmed by more reliable media sources. Sorry to see this happen to anyone and hope he's ok.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    I wanted to find "Zoolander" really funny, but found it only fairly so.

I think it's because I seem to have subconciously developed an inexplicable but deeply instinctive desire to punch Ben Stiller in the face (just a bit harder than I would punch Adam Sandler).

I am sure they are decent blokes in person. And they are nowhere near the likes of Jerry Lewis for making films that make me want to knaw off my own testes.

I was in Vegas and took a photo with my phone of some hotel that was billboarding Jerry outside. I sent the pic over the phone to my dad back home who hates him even more than me.

My dad texted me back, deliberately at 05:00 Vegas time, with "F*CK YOU".

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

an inexplicable but deeply instinctive desire to punch Ben Stiller in the face

I agree with this statement 100% - make that 500%.

• an inexplicable but deeply instinctive desire to punch Ben Stiller in the face

I agree with this statement 100% - make that 500%.

1000%...and that's coming from a die-hard fan of the Ben Stiller Show.

Are you daring to suggest that "Talladega Nights" was not, in fact, funny?

actually I can agree with the one called woimsah here.

"Talladega Nights" was not, in fact, funny.

It's like they thought they could get by on the whole we're-making-fun-of-NASCAR concept alone. without, you know, like funny writing or performances. I laughed not once.

what are yours?

Spinal Tap
    Trading Places
    The Jerk
    Welcome To The Dollhouse
    Revenge of the Nerds
    Kentucky Fried Movie
    Amazon Woman From The Moon
    Coming To America
    Airplane
    UHF
    Waiting For Guffman
    When Harry Met Sally
    Billy Madison
    Money Pit
    Bachelor Party

Owen Wilson is awesome - think he's the shit. but he doesn absolutely nothing in Zoolander.

Bottle Rocket -

She's a big fan of Zoolander too -

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    She's a big fan of Zoolander too -

You do realize that zoolander is satirizing this mentality?

In other words uhh earth to Womisah. They were making a joke. It's not like they thought they were actually in a control tower trying to reach outer space aliens.