owen wilson (suicide related)

macacamacaca 278 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Actor Owen Wilson was taken to a hospital in Santa Monica, Calif., Sunday, according to a story Drudge Report linked to on Sunday.According to the report, Wilson was transported to St. John's Hospital. Citing sources, The National Enquirer and Star magazine said the star of "Wedding Crashers" and "Starsky & Hutch" had cut his left wrist and taken an undetermined amount of pills.He was found by a family member who called for help. link

Comments

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts

come on man, suicide isn't anything to joke about...

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I'm honestly surprised people aren't talking about this more (here and elsewhere). As celebrity news goes, this strikes me as relatively big, strange, and discussion-worthy.

Comedians as the crying-on-the-inside clown are nothing new, but his whole persona was built around being a carefree, relaxed guy. And yet those early Wes Anderson screenplayes he co-wrote are loaded with neuroticism, making me wonder in retrospect if he's been walking around carrying a lot of self-doubt and misery the whole time.

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    One of the news stories mentioned he recently broke up with Kate Hudson, I guess that had something to do with it? If it really is a suicide attempt, it goes completely against his whole laidback former stoner image. He was funny as hell in Meet the Parents. "What inspired you to do carpentry" (pause) "I'd have to say Jesus."

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    This IS weird. My friend just saw him driving through the Hollywood Hills in a red convertible with a cowboy hat on a couple days ago.

• damn. sad. i just saw blades of glory on a flight...and wished he was in it.

Yeah, he's a naturally funny guy who brings a lot of charm and good humor to the table even when he's handed shit material to work with.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    the National Enquirer and Star magazine said

• "hansel is so hot right now"

Damn that's a shame, I think the dude is really pretty funny...Zoolander has to be his best though.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Zoolander has to be his best though.

no question. Zoolander also happens to be Stiller's best....and maybe even Vince Vaughn's

the movie is just a classic.

the National Enquirer and Star magazine said

Other media sources are definitely running with the story, whether or not it originated with tabloids.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    damn, sad.

i guess it just goes to show you can have it all and still be miserable. happiness comes from the inside and thats real talk.

hope he gets better, funny dude.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    LOS ANGELES, Aug 27 (Reuters) - U.S. actor Owen Wilson
    issued a statement on Monday asking to be left alone so he can
    "heal in private" following numerous media reports that he was
    hospitalized over the weekend.
    "I respectfully ask that the media allow me to receive care
    and heal in private during this difficult time," Wilson said in
    a statement issued by Web site, TMZ.com.
    Various news reports surfaced late on Sunday that the star
    of hit movies such as "Wedding Crashers" had been hospitalized,
    but his spokeswoman was not immediately available to
    comment.
    Fire and police officials confirmed to Reuters that they
    had responded to a "medical aid" situation at Wilson's home,
    but declined further comment or identification, citing
    confidientiality laws.

Not very informative, but whatever.

• I'm honestly surprised people aren't talking about this more (here and elsewhere). As celebrity news goes, this strikes me as relatively big, strange, and discussion-worthy.

Comedians as the crying-on-the-inside clown are nothing new, but his whole persona was built around being a carefree, relaxed guy. And yet those early Wes Anderson screenplayes he co-wrote are loaded with neuroticism, making me wonder in retrospect if he's been walking around carrying a lot of self-doubt and misery the whole time.

i was thinking the same thing re: the early wes anderson films, which are funny, but the storylines are perhaps carried more by tragic/quixotic moments. i'm thinking of the dignan character in BOTTLE ROCKET especially. that said, this is surprising and sad to me.

• I was watching a repeat of Dave Chappelle on Inside the Actor's Studio yesterday. I had a new respect and admiration of dude after seeing how candid and straight up REAL he was when talking about what the Hollywood machine does to people.

When I heard the news about Owen Wilson this morning, that interview became that much more poignant.

Hope dude gets his mind right.

^^^^^ I wonder if that Chapelle interview is on YouTube.

With Wilson, I'm not trying to make light of this situation, but it might not be a coincidence that You, Me and Dupree recently premiered on cable.

Hopefully, he does get his mind right and maybe start making the films that made him such a star in the first place -- stuff that has a real creative stamp on it, where he's not basically commoditisizing (sp) himself as Hollywood's "quirky cool guy."

I was watching a repeat of Dave Chappelle on Inside the Actor's Studio yesterday. I had a new respect and admiration of dude after seeing how candid and straight up REAL he was when talking about what the Hollywood machine does to people.

When I heard the news about Owen Wilson this morning, that interview became that much more poignant.

Hope dude gets his mind right.

I recall reading an interview with Wilson around the time of Royal Tennenbaums/Life Aquatic and he was saying "It makes me incredibly sad that I have to be in movies like [whatever crappy Starksy and Hutch type shit he was starring in] rather than hang out with Wes and write movies with him like we used to."

At the time I was annoyed with him, thinking "of course you can. Just tell your agent /manager that working with your [still very rich, famous and successful] brother and friends is your # 1 priority." But looking back, he may have been under a lot of pressure to keep making shitty $100-million hit after shitty $100-million hit, and might have felt too overwhelmed to take control of his own career.

Of course, that's just speculation... this could've been any number of things.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    With Wilson, I'm not trying to make light of this situation, but it might not be a coincidence that You, Me and Dupree recently premiered on cable.

can you elaborate on this? I don't think I get it

can you elaborate on this? I don't think I get it

It's just a crappy movie that he probably made fun of when he was coming into his own, and now he's the star, i.e. one of those What Has My Carrer Come To moments. I don't know any of the gossip surrounding Kate Hudson but she's in it too. Apparently they recently broke up???

Still, hitting rock bottom one that level is pretty awesome. I'm not hating on the guy either.

"It makes me incredibly sad that I have to be in movies like [whatever crappy Starksy and Hutch type shit he was starring in] rather than hang out with Wes and write movies with him like we used to."

I got love for dude, but c'mon...

• "It makes me incredibly sad that I have to be in movies like [whatever crappy Starksy and Hutch type shit he was starring in] rather than hang out with Wes and write movies with him like we used to."

I got love for dude, but c'mon...

So it's all about the money with no concern for artistic creativity?

Not directed at you rootless but I think it's kinda sad how people laugh off rich folks problems on some, "look how much he makin'" shit.

I shouldn't have to say money doesn't bring happiness, but yeah, I guess dude could pass on films he doesn't feel.

dude could pass on films he doesn't feel.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I was watching a repeat of Dave Chappelle on Inside the Actor's Studio yesterday. I had a new respect and admiration of dude after seeing how candid and straight up REAL he was when talking about what the Hollywood machine does to people.

I watched this too yesterday, what a great episode. Did you catch the Simpsons one afterwards? Very cool..

And do people really believe the National Enquirer and Star?

• Wow..I have not heard anything about this...hopefully its total bullshit. I think Owen is hilarious in most of his movies..

one of my favorite things he did was his part in the Yeah Right skate video where he is hangin' out with Eric Koston and crew..
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=rBuHF-EdRYM#

• ^^^^^ I wonder if that Chapelle interview is on YouTube.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    dude should[/b] pass on films he doesn't feel.

How much money do you have to sock away before you can tell someone , "No, thank you"?

I mean, geez, make hay while the sun shines, but enough is enough.

Thanks, man. I am definitely going to check this when I get home from the job.

I was talking about "wondering" about something over the weekend with my girl. She was like, Don't you have the internet?

There it is: The internet has killed off all wonderment. Haha.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts

one of my favorite things he did was his part in the Yeah Right skate video where he is hangin' out with Eric Koston and crew..
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=rBuHF-EdRYM#

YES

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

How much money do you have to sock away before you can tell someone , "No, thank you"?

^^^^^ Not industry insideurs.

Shit is not nearly as easy as you dudes seem to think it is.

^^^^^ Not industry insideurs.

Shit is not nearly as easy as you dudes seem to think it is.

I knew some Hollywood strutters would take umbrage (though I admit I expected it would be Guzzo. hi Ad*m!).

seriously I know a lot of these dudes have multi-flick contracts with the studios, and I know a lot of studios will only bankroll the projects you want to do if you do some popcorn shit for them...

BUT dude probably has more leverage than 90% of the comedic actors in Hollywood (school me if I'm wrong but he seems to be top 10 at least when it comes to male comic actors, based on his exposure and the success of his last couple flicks).

plus I WILL say fuck you for complaining about making millions. DUDE COULD RETIRE on his cheddar rather than whine about not being able to make movies he wants to make. the fact that dude has made even ONE movie he wanted to make in his life is more than most people in the world can say.

(schitt I got a couple movies I wanna make myself )

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    it was prolly the chick and not the crappy movies that drove him nutz
    i can't believe he ollied those stairs ,i have new found respect for dude
    i always liked him in spite of the corny ass movies he was playin'
    total airplane movies